Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Gnat's Movie Reviews: Prometheus/Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Damn, I really liked Law Abiding Citizen. I thought Entertainment wise it would at least get a B.

I would have given it a higher entertainment grade, but I felt like the whole film was bent on tricking my into thinking there was suspense by putting making everything overly intense instead of actually making it suspenseful.

bigbadbuff23835

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Damn, I really liked Law Abiding Citizen. I thought Entertainment wise it would at least get a B.

As did i.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How To Train Your Dragon

This kids film hits on a level that is normally reserved to Pixar films. It is cute, funny, and extremely well made. There likely is a message in the film, but it doesn't get caught up in it, but instead lets the simple story move the film along and does a very good job of creating memorable characters.

The story is that of a young boy who doesn't fit into his village of Vikings. He isn't tough enough and just doesn't seem Viking enough instead spending more time inventing things (and these inventions are generally for taking down dragons), but that isn't the Viking way. Things change when there is a particularly bad dragon attack and many of the adults in the village go off to find the dragon's lair and destroy them. Hiccup, the main character, and the other youngsters are left to be trained and to become dragon slayers themselves. Hiccup, however, has taken down a dragon during the last attack and goes off into the woods to find it, and finds out that dragons might not be as bad and dangerous as the villagers think.

The voice talent in this film is great. Jay Baruchel does a good job as Hiccup, and the rest of the talent, which is fairly well recognizable doesn't over shadow the story. This is one thing that I've noticed about some animated films where the magnitude of the names doing voices in the films often outweigh the characters and the story in the film. Instead of a character being that character, they are the actor as that character. This film uses fairly big names, but not huge names, and I think that helps. Even Gerard Butler, probably the biggest name doesn't over shadow his character. And you end up routing for the characters.

Visually this is well animated film, the variety of the dragons is very well done and the expressions, especially from Toothless (the main dragon) are simply phenomenal. Visually it is on par with Pixar, and normally where DreamWorks has been lacking is the story, but in this case, it is on par with Pixar again. Cressida Cowell's book is masterfully turned into a film.

This is a film that is definitely worth checking out. Everything comes together with the story, the characters, voice talent, and the animation, and while that has become more common, it is still a lot of fun to watch a film like this one. I would definitely recommend watching it if you get the chance.

Critical Grade: B+
Entertainment Grade: A
Overall Grade: A-

jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably one of my top 5 favorites of all time. I don't know if it was the subject of dragons or what but I loved every minute of the movie and didn't want it to end. Funny, great story, cool dragons, etc. A must see.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:

this.i loved the movie
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clevermelvin wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:

this.i loved the movie

All we are missing is football taste. Maybe our paths will cross at a Phins/Jets game someday.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
clevermelvin wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:

this.i loved the movie

All we are missing is football taste. Maybe our paths will cross at a Phins/Jets game someday.

im not too sure about that. we both think CHANNING CROWDER is god so were practically twins Laughing
bookend57

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently watched Hot Tub Time Machine, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, and [i]How to Train Your Dragon[i], I enjoyed all three of them. I'd give Dragon an A, Pilgrim a B+ and Hot Tub a B/B-

^gopherwrestler^
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to see that Dragon movie but my g/f said no. It saved me from having to see some romcom.
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Law Abiding Citizen for the first time last night. I enjoyed it, wasn't the greatest movie but I agree with the two other posters above.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this, great thread....

Of the ones you have reviewed, I've only seen How to Train Your Dragon. I had low expectations, and there were parts that were highly predictable, but it was a very enjoyable movie.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Thanks

The Secret of Kells

The Secret of Kells is much unlike any animated film that Iíve seen before. Not because the story is so unique or the characters are so rich, in both of these areas, this film is actually fairly simple, but the animation style itself is unlike anything seen before and that is what makes this film very special.

The story is of an Abbey and a boy who lives there, Pangur Ban. His parents have died and he lives there and is being trained by his uncle to take over the abbey. This abbey, in Ireland, is in fear of attacks from the Vikings hoards who have been attacking other areas in search of gold, so they are building a wall around their abbey in order to keep the Vikings out. This is taking place instead of the normal work of illuminating stories which they would typically be doing. Pangur Ban is more interested in the illuminating than the wall building, and when the great illuminator, Aidan seeks refuge at the abbey after his abbey had been attacked, Pangur tries to help him out, while his uncle tries and keep him focused on the tasks at hand. Pangur, however, spends more time with Aidan, and ventures outside of the village for the first time ever where he meets Aisling, a fairy/wolf/girl, whose forest it is. With her help he finds berries to make inks with Aidan and Aidan trains him to become a master illuminator, but when the Eye of Columcille is lost, Aidan ventures into the forest, with the help of Aisling, to retrieve another eye from the god that lives in the woods. When he returns to it, he is able to use it to illuminate with greater detail and beauty, but the Vikings attack, and Aidan and Pangur escape with the book while his uncle tries to protect the villages who live in the abbey. Both Pangur and his uncle fear the other dead. Aidan finishes teaching Pangur and he illuminates the most important page in the book, and then returns to the abbey where he finds he uncle still alive, but barely as many years have passed, and shows him the book.

The voice acting in this film is good, and it was done with relative unknowns, the biggest name in this film if Brendan Gleeson, from Gangs of New York, Cold Mountain, and Troy. He does a good job of playing Pangurís uncle. The rest of the voice talent is done very well by more obscure actors over here in the US anyways. They bring the characters to life and help this film out.

What really makes this film though is the amazing visuals. They are in many ways illuminated themselves with sweeping lines and spirals playing the stones and in the forest. The people themselves go from fairly typically animated with Pangur and Aisling, to simply shapes with groups of towns people moving around in mounds all a unique person but seemingly connected, or one of the brothers at the abbey being simply a square. Every part of the image is art and while it is created like a typical film with focus points as to where you should look and pay attention to, the shots themselves are worth pausing and dissecting. Tomm Moore and Nora Twomey do a brilliant job of creating the vision, in their direction, for the world of this film, and do a good job of getting much from their actors. Even when the vocals are a bit stiff at times, it goes with the way the film is created, as it blends in so much that is very old into its story.

Overall this is an animated film that is worth checking out if for no other reason than the visuals alone. It is beautifully created and is a work of art and can be enjoyed as such. The story and the acting donít match up to the visuals in this film perfectly, but looking at it as a work of art, that becomes less of an issue, and the story is simple enough that they donít mess it up.

Entertainment Grade: B

Critical Grade: A

Overall Grade: A-

The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A-Team

This is a wonderfully created mindless action film that has massive plot holes that one really doesnít care about when watching it. All you care about is the over the top action, the absurd schemes, and the fools who need pitying. The acting is actually surprisingly good and entertaining, and the writing is quite solid in that there are plenty of cheesy one-liners, but they are all done perfectly.

The story starts out with a mission to take out a Mexican general who has been causing troubles along the US border. This has little to do with the actual story of the film, it just brings the team together. As Hannibal Smith has only been working with the Face prior to that, and then they bring in BA and Murdock. The story really takes off as they are over in Iraq and overstep their jurisdiction and end up going into Baghdad to get some plates and money from that are being smuggled out of the city. Things go wrong with a rogue group on the army base takes out the general and steal the plates and blow up the money. Since the mission was off the books, the A-Team ends up in trouble, gets dishonorably discharged, and gets prison terms. The man who gave them originally, Lynch from the CIA, helps Hannibal bust out of jail so he can get revenge and get the plates back. Things, however, donít go quite as plan as some old friends turn out to be players in the current mess of affairs, and an absurd plan comes together to take down Lynch and get the plates back.

The acting in this film is surprisingly good. Liam Neeson, for being an older man, still has what it takes to be an action star (Taken). Even though he isnít the run around and beat them up type of action hero, he does a very good job with a more thinking mans action role. Bradley Cooper (from The Hangover) is very nicely pompous and free wheeling as The Face, and pulls of a confident and arrogant swagger quite nicely in everything that he does. Quentin ďRampageĒ Jackson, known for his MMA skills, makes a believable BA, and fits the build of BA wonderfully. His acting was surprisingly good as well. Murdock, played by Sharlto Copley (District 9), is probably the best out of all the characters and he plays a crazy man wonderfully. He has a ton of great quirks and quibbles about the way he acts. The rest of the cast is solid. Jessica Biel does a solid job in her army officer role, and Patrick Wilson is nicely slimey as Lynch.

Visually this film does a good job, it is kind of like a Michael Bay film in that the action scenes are big and the plot is fairly thin, but that isnít an issue with this film, as it is meant to be mindless fluff. There are some scenes are that so absurd yet entertaining, such as flying the tank, and they honestly look pretty good with the explosions and the crashes. There were only rare moments when the CGI came off as not extremely realistic, otherwise, it was directed and shot well. Joe Carnahan, director of Smokiní Aces, does a better job with this film, in that the characters are fairly well defined and likable, and there is more actual story to this film. He has potential to be a very good action film director when his career is done, even if they are all going to be on the lighter and fluffier side of things.

This is really an ideal summer film, it is one for when all you want to do is sit around, not think, and enjoy some mindless action. It provides the mindless action wonderfully well, and the hair brained plans that work so wonderfully are great to watch. If you like action films, this one is worth checking out over some other action films such as Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Critical Grade: C+

Entertainment Grade: B+

Overall Grade: B

Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in school to be a Film Critic ? Also Do you watch these Films in the theaters or on Dvd ? And also great reviews on both I enjoyed Reading em.

Not a Knicks fan
The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen4ev wrote:
Are you in school to be a Film Critic ? Also Do you watch these Films in the theaters or on Dvd ? And also great reviews on both I enjoyed Reading em.

I did take most of the classes to get a film studies minor in college.

As for theater vs DVD, generally more DVD than theater.

Glad you enjoyed them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: