Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How big a problem is CB???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lacydog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: How big a problem is CB??? Reply with quote

I've been thinking that perhaps if we resign Henry, a 3rd rounder woulld suffice. We really need to focus on the front 7 and OL, so I don't see us taking a CB until then anyway. Besides, our pass defense was rated relatively high last year, so why not focus more on the big men?
Here's how it would go:
We'd probably get someone like Antonio Perkins, Fabian Washington, Eric Green or Vincent Fuller. Let's say we get Washington.
On regular downs, we start Cutch and Henry, but we rotate in the rookie for Henry or Cutch every other series.
On passing downs, Henry becomes our Nickleback.
Apply the same logic to S with Griffith, Jones and Crocker, but instead of NB, Crocker becomes our dimeback (I don't feel good with Leigh Bodden as our DB)
We might do pretty damn good.
duke2056

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: How big a problem is CB??? Reply with quote

Trust me, if teams threw more on us, you'd see how exposed our secondary really is. They are not good. Taking Rolle at 3 may not be a bad option. Either that or they have to trade down. Whatever they do, please GOD don't get a quarterback. Yes Holcomb and McCown aren't good, but no one else out there is worht messing around witht he 3rd pick.

lacydog wrote:
I've been thinking that perhaps if we resign Henry, a 3rd rounder woulld suffice. We really need to focus on the front 7 and OL, so I don't see us taking a CB until then anyway. Besides, our pass defense was rated relatively high last year, so why not focus more on the big men?
Here's how it would go:
We'd probably get someone like Antonio Perkins, Fabian Washington, Eric Green or Vincent Fuller. Let's say we get Washington.
On regular downs, we start Cutch and Henry, but we rotate in the rookie for Henry or Cutch every other series.
On passing downs, Henry becomes our Nickleback.
Apply the same logic to S with Griffith, Jones and Crocker, but instead of NB, Crocker becomes our dimeback (I don't feel good with Leigh Bodden as our DB)
We might do pretty damn good.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what makes CBs better? A pass rush. We could have Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson back there and it wouldn't make a difference if we can't get to the QB. We obviously don't have that, so we need to draft it. Henry and 'cutch are OK, and with Samari Rolle and Ty Law potentially cap casualties, we could take care of the CB position before the draft. Third round may be a bit too high to spend on a corner, regardless. It's the ideal spot for a number of good offensive linemen.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we got Antrell, though. I would much prefer a trade down with Oakland or Washington. That would get us three picks in the top 50 instead of two. Then we get:
9. Shawne Merriman
35. Best Olineman Available
41. DeMarcus Ware/Justin Tuck/Matt Roth

No quarterback would be safe if we got two pass rushing demons that high.
lacydog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^34, not 35.
Remember, that teams with equal records switch every round, as do the Browns and Dolphins.
Merriman wouldn't play DE here, he might play OLB though.
Roth or Tuck with 41 is a bit unrealistic. Some boards have Tuck as the best DE (I disagree, but still...), he probably won't be available at 41
duke2056

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Browns take a defensive lineman with pick # 3, I'm just going to have to stop being a Browns fan all together. How much money do you wanna squander on a d-line that isn't good, and drafting one guy won't make us much better. We need O-line and DB

ditchdigger wrote:
You know what makes CBs better? A pass rush. We could have Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson back there and it wouldn't make a difference if we can't get to the QB. We obviously don't have that, so we need to draft it. Henry and 'cutch are OK, and with Samari Rolle and Ty Law potentially cap casualties, we could take care of the CB position before the draft. Third round may be a bit too high to spend on a corner, regardless. It's the ideal spot for a number of good offensive linemen.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we got Antrell, though. I would much prefer a trade down with Oakland or Washington. That would get us three picks in the top 50 instead of two. Then we get:
9. Shawne Merriman
35. Best Olineman Available
41. DeMarcus Ware/Justin Tuck/Matt Roth

No quarterback would be safe if we got two pass rushing demons that high.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merriman would defintely be a linebacker in Romeo's defense. Most of the OLBs in New England's defense were linemen in college. OLB is where the pressure on the QB comes from in the scheme.
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true, and I'm sure that Romeo could work on making some of these DE's into OLB's... It would be nice.... But they have to be able to cover somewhat too...
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Patritots scheme, the ILBs are responsible for most of the coverage. In the Super Bowl, did you see Willie McGinest or Mike Vrabel in coverage a lot? I didn't. Saw them making Donavan McNabb's life hell plenty of times, though.
lacydog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^
In the SuperBowl, the Pats ran a 4-3, if you didn't notice (Sports Illustrated, post-SB article). So of course McGinest wasn't in coverage, he was playing DE!!!
They DO have to cover somewhat, and Vrabel has made a few interceptions, no?
Out of anyone on our current roster, Ekuban has probably the best shot at moving to OLB (might be a really good career move).
Wouldn't be against drafting Merriman, though. He might be a fine OLB (Something tells me Romeo and Co. would be able to teach him to cover)
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most outside backers have to cover the flats in certain Coverages... It all depends on the team we are playing... If we are running a lot of Cover 4, then we will see the OLB's flowing to the middle flats.... Also, with many running backs catching out of the backfield, you must have some sort of coverage to keep them from getting into the secondary.... That's been a big problem also for the Browns... Once somebody gets into the secondary, they are gone because they either outrun us or we miss a tackle.... or three...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: