Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Here's what scares me...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raidendawg2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Here's what scares me... Reply with quote

Kelly Holcomb has looked great in the past because he knew the system just as well as anyone not named Peyton Manning who ran it.

Now we're going to have a completely different offensive philosophy AND a new OC who doesn't run the same system Holcomb's used to.

How well is Kelly going to adjust in game when he doesn't know EXACTLY what to do?

-Raiden
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offense being run next year won't be philosophically different at all. Carthon will be the 3rd OC Kelly has worked under since joining the team. He has excelled under the past two. How Romeo described the offense, Kelly said it would be perfect for him, and he wants to play in it.
lacydog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it matter?
This season is the rebuilding season anyway. No way no how are we getting to the playoffs. If Holcombe plays like crap, it actually is better for us. We might get a better look at Harris and McCown, and we'd most likely draft higher next year. Then, with next year's draft class of OT's predicted to be LOADED, we'd get a solid franchise OT.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me correct myself. It will be philosophically different, because they are actually going to have an identity. Which will be running the ball. The signing of New Orleans' running backs coach should make a huge difference. With the Saints, he coached 5 consecutive 1000 yard backs, a franchise record. He knows how to use Terelle Smith, so that in and of itself should make Browns fans giddy with excitement.
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and it ticks me off that we use Terrelle Smith in one game... and look what happened... We had 2 100 yard rushers in that game... against PHILADELPHIA, but it's awfully smart of Butch Davis to not use him anymore in the year...
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're livin' in the past, man!! Contemporize, man!!

All those plays you've seen run, gone!!

All those coaches making bad calls (except Robo), gone!!

All those attitude problems in the locker room, gone!!

I don't know about that last one, but I'd expect Romeo to clear house of all those who don't get with the program. The new coaches on the staff are a huge upgrade from the previous group. The O-line and RB coaches alone have me thinking 1200+ for Suggs (if he stays healthy).
lacydog

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ and Robo isn't even making the calls this year, as WR coach.
I really am inclined to believe that the Browns will go 6-10, somewhere around there, with a mediocre QB. Good back, better line, better D, less time on field for D (meaning less injuries on D and ST) all will happen this year; I believe. Hell, we could start Mike Pawlowski (Former XFL QB w/ the Demons and current AFL QB) and win a few.
I'm already excited about 2006.

Confidence in a Cleveland sports team....
haven't felt this... ever
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just something on your new sig:

I think we will draft a DE. But it won't be to play with his hand down. Most of the LBs on New England's defense played DE in college. We will be looking for pass-rushing tweeners to play OLB. The Patriots have 10 linebackers on the roster. We have 7 (I think), and that's not considering that some may be cut due to not fitting the system. There is speculation about switching Courtney Brown to OLB (in the Derrick Thomas mold). If that is how they think he can be effective than I'm all for it, but that still doesn't rule out drafting a college DE to switch to OLB.
lacydog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andra Davis, Kevin Bentley, Chaun Thompson, Ben Taylor, Barry Gardner, Eric Westmooreland, Warrick Holdman, Brant Boyer, Mason Unck - 9. Most, if not all, of those guys will stay around (Unck is good on special teams, Boyer would be the first to go).
And if you're arguing that we'll move Spears to LB, then that's essentialy drafting a LB, so there.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lacydog wrote:
Andra Davis, Kevin Bentley, Chaun Thompson, Ben Taylor, Barry Gardner, Eric Westmooreland, Warrick Holdman, Brant Boyer, Mason Unck - 9.

Bentley and Taylor are both restricted free agents. Eric Westmoreland and Warrick Holdman are unrestricted free agents. Brant Boyer, however, will be around until he retires. So actual signed linebackers on the roster actually are: Davis Thompson Gardner Boyer Unck. 5.

Quote:
Most, if not all, of those guys will stay around (Unck is good on special teams, Boyer would be the first to go).
And if you're arguing that we'll move Spears to LB, then that's essentialy drafting a LB, so there

I am in no way arguing anything about Spears. Moving a 300 pound guy to linebacker is not a good idea. The only type of player that we would draft to play the line is a big NT. Spears won't help us that much. Shawne Merriman, Demarcus Ware, Justin Tuck....now any one of those would make a huge difference on this D.

But you're right, essentially we'd be drafting a LB with any of those. But they were DEs in college. So that is why you can't say we're not going to draft a DE.
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Tuck is pretty darn good...
BUMPANDRUN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

You could make the playoffs. Crennell will make sure that team is
prepared and physical.
He will also make sure these guys don't make the kind of
mistakes that kill themselves and you'll see a team that
plays 4 quarters and never stops fighting no matter the lack of big
names they field.
lacydog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^the browns won't make the playoffs this year behind Kelly Holcombe or a rookie QB.
Crennel and co. will make strides, though.
Rebuilding a team takes time, it is not going to happen in one offseason.
BUMPANDRUN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

If you can protect Holcombe and draft well they could make the
playoffs. They've got some talent on both sides of the ball
and Crennell will get the best out of them.

Your team is in for a major attitutude adjustment.
Davis sucked fish eggs and your boys never bought into his
style.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davis sucked way more than eggs. The new staff will make a huge difference. But talking playoffs is a bit presumptuous. Savage and Crennel both asked for patience turning this thing around. The organization had to be completely rebuilt in one off-season, so don't expect immediate results. It may take one or two years for this team to completely buy into the system, and to get all the necessary players (and weed out the unnecessary) to run it right.

The Browns will not start the season with Holcomb or a rookie QB. Rohan Davey, Chris Simms, or Billy Volek are the only trade rumors I've heard of. I'm sure there's more young backups with strong arms being looked at.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: