Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

McCarthy and Running
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: McCarthy and Running Reply with quote

I for the life of me do not understand why we ever run the ball to the left side more than 3 times a game. For the first time in a long time we have some real bulk on the right side of our Offensive Line and whenever we attempted to run the ball behind those two with either Jackson or Nance we got very positive yardage and set ourselves up nicely with as far as down and distance are concerned.

Another thing that I noticed is that McCarthy not one time ran the ball to the shorter side of when the ball was positioned so on the field. This means that if the ball was placed on the right hash mark and it was first down he would every time run it to the left behind Colledge and Clifton who absolutely suck at run blocking. Now I'm sure that this is common in the NFL because if you have less space for a play to develop then there is a greater chance of the Defense blowing the play up however because of how good Sitton and Bulaga have been playing combined with how bad our left side is in the run game I like are chances a lot more running right regardless of where the ball is spotted.

Now in no way am I suggesting that Macca change his pass first Offensive philosophy but of late he does seem committed to running the ball on 1st down to keep defenses honest and I really think that we can have a productive running game even with the two below average backs we have back there if we go right.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
RavensRaving

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applaud McCarthy for the way he runs the running game. You run it to one side too often and it becomes ineffective. You keep changing it up, and it has to be defended every play, which opens other things up.

I really don't think it's the running backs on our roster. I think it's either the scheme or the offensive linemen, but I'll admit my knowledge on the offensive line is less than adequate, but it seems other teams open up such massive holes that a running back would have to be slightly mentally challenged not to run through it. I never see those holes in Green Bay. Maybe I'm just missing it.
CWood21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: McCarthy and Running Reply with quote

Pack4life7 wrote:
I for the life of me do not understand why we ever run the ball to the left side more than 3 times a game.

You realize that Chad Clifton isn't a very good run blocker, and Daryn Colledge isn't very good in run blocking either. I'd much rather run behind Josh Sitton and Bryan Bulaga to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: McCarthy and Running Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Pack4life7 wrote:
I for the life of me do not understand why we ever run the ball to the left side more than 3 times a game.

You realize that Chad Clifton isn't a very good run blocker, and Daryn Colledge isn't very good in run blocking either. I'd much rather run behind Josh Sitton and Bryan Bulaga to be honest.

That's kinda my point man

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
Kmwarrior33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running the ball to the left 3 times a game isn't really enough to keep defenses honest. Even if we only get 1 yard, or get stopped at the line of scrimmage, running the ball to the left forces the defense to actually PLAY instead of just bulk up personnel on the right side in front of Bulaga and Sitton. Getting stopped at the line of scrimmage several times on the left side actually improves our rate of success with running the ball to the right where we excel.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: McCarthy and Running Reply with quote

Pack4life7 wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Pack4life7 wrote:

That's kinda my point man

It's all about keeping defenses honest.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, either side has not been opening up holes. People want to be down on our running backs but they've got to get some sort of opening to burst through. Its like running into a wall; McCarthy has got to get a little more creative with our runs because the traditional running game - straight up the gut is not working.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: McCarthy and Running Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Pack4life7 wrote:

Laughing

I'm sure he does understand that considering his ENTIRE post was about exactly that issue...
Thrillhouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: McCarthy and Running Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Pack4life7 wrote:

Laughing

I'm sure he does understand that considering his ENTIRE post was about exactly that issue...

Whiff!!!

Ah well, CWood is a gunslinger. He was trying to make a play there, but it didn't work out.

LeGarrette Blount wrote:
Aaron Rodgers...makes me feel incredible.

Uncle Buck wrote:
Barbara Streisand - Can't go into it on this site.
Kmwarrior33

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: McCarthy and Running Reply with quote

Thrillhouse wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Pack4life7 wrote:

Laughing

Whiff!!!

Ah well, CWood is a gunslinger. He was trying to make a play there, but it didn't work out.

Reminded me of a young Brett Favre. Simply trying to have fun out there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: McCarthy and Running Reply with quote

Kmwarrior33 wrote:
Thrillhouse wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Pack4life7 wrote:

Laughing

Whiff!!!

Reminded me of a young Brett Favre. Simply trying to have fun out there.

Let's just make sure we don't have any late career issues with CWood Wink

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Jackson:
Wide left: 59 car, 200 yards (3.4)
Left: 18 car, 127 yards (7.1)
Middle: 38 car, 190 yards (5.0)
Right: 11 car, 31 yards (2.8)
Wide right: 57 car, 136 yards (2.4)

John Kuhn:
Wide left: 14 car, 44 yards (3.1)
Left: 9 car, 26 yards (2.9)
Middle: 21 car, 87 yards (4.1)
Right: 12 car, 20 yards (1.7)
Wide right: 24 car, 104 yards (4.3)

Well there you have...the reasons we don't just run right.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RashaanSalaami wrote:
Brandon Jackson:
Right: 11 car, 31 yards (2.Cool

John Kuhn:

A little suprising actually. But of course this could also be attributed to the left side botching the backside cut block as well. But suprising nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: McCarthy and Running Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
Let's just make sure we don't have any late career issues with CWood Wink

He's a young gun and a mini-mod. His MVP years are ahead of him.

LeGarrette Blount wrote:
Aaron Rodgers...makes me feel incredible.

Uncle Buck wrote:
Barbara Streisand - Can't go into it on this site.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:
Brandon Jackson:
Right: 11 car, 31 yards (2.Cool

John Kuhn:

A little suprising actually. But of course this could also be attributed to the left side botching the backside cut block as well. But suprising nonetheless.

Where do you find these stats? I'm curious about the jags run-blocking too

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: