Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The 2010 Packers Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What grade would you give TT?
A
32%
 32%  [ 43 ]
B
51%
 51%  [ 68 ]
C
11%
 11%  [ 15 ]
D
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
F
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 133

AirOnRodgers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
AirOnRodgers wrote:
If teams let Wilson slip to the 7th round I really doubt they're going to be tripping over themselves to guarantee him a 53 man roster spot.

There is absolutely no guarantee that Wilson will make it through the waivers and make it to our practice squad, in fact I'd probably put those odds at less than 5% chance especially if he flashes his potential in the preseason.

My guess is we carry seven defensive lineman: Jenkins, Pickett, Jolly, Raji, Neal, Harrell/Wilson/Wynn (two of those).

So the way you phrased that is that right now the chances are less than 5 percent.

Again, teams passed on him for seven rounds. I really doubt they're going to trip over themselves to give him a guaranteed spot on their 53 man roster. Additionally, its not like we can't match the offer and get him onto our 53 man.

If I had to bet right now, I'd say Wilson ends up on the PS this year.

[quote="detfan782004"]
When teams step on the field both teams have a 50% chance to win. Pretty simple[/quote]

DETFAN782004 - The man who can bankrupt Las Vegas
Bucktuck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How close are Wilson and Wynn? And if we PS'ed Wynn would teams snatch him up?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucktuck wrote:

Jarius Wynn is not eligible to be placed on the practice squad.

He has one accrued season and has been active for more than 8 games.

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
Bucktuck

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldo wrote:
Bucktuck wrote:

Jarius Wynn is not eligible to be placed on the practice squad.

He has one accrued season and has been active for more than 8 games.

Dam, forgot about that.

That's going to be a battle to watch come TC. Wilson vs. Wynn. I like both.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a really big fan of this draft looking back, and find it much easier to look back on now that the pre-draft hype and punditry is over.

This draft really beefed up the Packers defensive line, who were maybe a much bigger part of the pass rush problem at times last season than we thought. The interior line struggled to get push up the middle and collapse the pocket. Also, because some players are like decoys or kind of set picks on certain blitzes, maybe the fatigue of some of the lineman contributed to poor execution. I know that Jolly and Jenkins played a ridiculous amount of snaps in games last year, and the depth after Pickett, Jenkins, Jolly, and Raji was poor.

The OLB class was also not nearly as deep as the pundits led us to believe. Hughes, Graham, JPP, and Griffen all went to 4-3 teams, and Kindle was likely off the Packers board due to injury and other concerns. So I think by going DL, the Packers did play the board well.

Burnett is a great pick. I also didn't find cornerback to be a pressing need. In Harris, Woodson, Williams, Lee, Blackmon, Bush, Underwood, Bell, DJ Clark, and even Derrick Martin in the slot, there are 4 highly capable CB's.

The offensive line has also finally solidified itself. Both the starting 5 and depth is incredibly strong. Let's not forget how dominant and almost impossible to beat the Packers are when Rodgers is getting great protection. I also really like the additions of Quarless and James Starks. Both guys have big upside for late round picks, and could contribute to an already productive offense.

^Waldo
"That boy A-Rod, he's a monster man. He's a beast bro."
-BJ Raji
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngpack wrote:

The OLB class was also not nearly as deep as the pundits led us to believe. Hughes, Graham, JPP, and Griffen all went to 4-3 teams, and Kindle was likely off the Packers board due to injury and other concerns. So I think by going DL, the Packers did play the board well.

I agree completely and mad this point in another thread. After looking through how things played out, I'm a bit shocked I was so confident we'd grab an OLB. The value really wasn't great at any of our picks and there were very few mid-round prospects for that position.

MUCH deeper along the Dline, and I did think we'd grab a DE for sure.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh...

I just realized that 6 of our 7 picks start the play within a few yards of the ball. Guess we really wanted to induce some competition near the ball.

Interesting.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to post much lately. Babysat yesterday during the draft and I've been spending all weekend out. I really like how this draft turned out. I can see Neal being very valuable on 2-4-5 sets to get an interior push. I'm penciling him in for 3 sacks this year. Our D-line last year totaled 7 sacks. Five from Jenkins and one each from Raji and Jolly. Jones had 5 and Matthews had 10. Note that Jones had LESS THAN HALF the snaps that Matthews had. If he doubles his snaps this year, we can pencil him in for 8-10 sacks. Same from Matthews.

Compare that to Dallas. Dallas had 24 sacks from Ware and Spencer. They notched 16 sacks from their D-line though. That is a huge difference. Jolly and Jenkins played about 850 snaps each. The only person on Dallas to notch 850 snaps on Dline was Ratliff with 851. After that

Ratliff 850
Olshansky 650
Spears 530
Bowen 475
Hatcher 390
Siavii 185.

Our numbers on D-Line snaps

Jenkins 850
Jolly 850
Raji 380
Pickett 370
Wynn 70
Monty 60

I'm guessing at the end of the games/season Jolly and Jenkins were gassed. Dallas' D had much more even snap numbers throughout with more contributions coming from the lower depth chart players. I'm very excited to see our D-line.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Nice job putting that together.

I never considered the snap count of our two bigs and how that probably affected them. I just figured we'd grab a DE because of Monty's spot and the expiring contracts. We could potentially add 3 new guys to the rotation in Harrell, Neal and Wilson.

That could do wonders for our defense.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We lost the games we lost last year because of trench play. Either we couldn't get to the quarterback. Or we couldn't protect our own.

Cincinatti, Minnesota twice, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Arizona.

Lost them all because of line play. I doubt we lose 5 or 6 games this year for those reasons again.
bookend57

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i picked A, but i'd really give it an A-. I think TT did a great job of getting both value and needs, a very good draft.

^gopherwrestler^
Dirty Harry

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid B.

I'm in love with every pick except maybe the Newhouse selection. The only reason it's not an A is because not a lot of these players can play major minutes from the get go. But then again I'm a tough grader.

I know the board is a little down on the Neal pick, but I love him! I'm a big weight lifter myself (Although Neal can almost double my bench.) And I have developed stretch marks on my body as well, which has really angered me. But Mike Neal talked about how cool his stretch marks are and how he doesn't need tatoos because of them. Now I'm in love with them! Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
huh...

I just realized that 6 of our 7 picks start the play within a few yards of the ball. Guess we really wanted to induce some competition near the ball.

Interesting.

Well, that and the fact that we hate playmakers. We don't really want guys that "touch" the ball, per se.

I give the draft an "A" - it's my favorite TT draft and unlike in years past, there is absolutely not one other draft that I am jealous of. I think a lot of teams did a really poor job this year and ours was not one of them.

LeGarrette Blount wrote:
Aaron Rodgers...makes me feel incredible.

Uncle Buck wrote:
Barbara Streisand - Can't go into it on this site.
Pugger

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real grade should be Incomplete. We won't know for at least a year if this draft was successful.
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I have put my thoughts in yet, so I'll put them here.

1st Round (23): Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
I'm not honestly sure how anyone can complain about this pick especially when Bryan Bulaga was largely considered a top ten pick before the season, and had it not been for his thyroid issue, he probably would have been a lock for a top ten pick. The thyroid issue probably caused his stock to drop down on a lot of team's draft boards, but the Packers doctors obviously cleared him, those guys who are getting paid the big bucks who actually know what they are talking about. A legit top 10 prospect who fills one of our biggest needs is easily the best possible pick. For those that were clamoring for Dez Bryant, Greg Jennings and Donald Driver are firmly entrentched as our first and second receiver respectively and James Jones and Jordy Nelson (our third and fourth receiver) combined 54 catches. Dez Bryant is a luxury the Packers couldn't afford to take.
Grade: A

2nd Round (56): Mike Neal, DE, Purdue
Yes this does look like a huge reach, and my most reports it is, but Ted Thompson has always looked towards need in the second round, go back and look at the history. Someone posted in another thread that our defensive line was taking a lot more snaps than other teams, comparing them to the Cowboys defensive line in particular. When our defensive line gets worn down, it renders our pass rush ineffective and thus one of the reasons for our downfall in the playoffs. Mike Neal might be a bit raw as a five technique, but TT wouldn't have drafted him if he didn't think that the coaches could mold him into an eventual starter.
Grade: B-

3rd Round (71): Morgan Burnett, S, Georgia Tech
I wasn't a huge fan of Morgan Burnett the last few weeks leading up to the draft, but I am slowly starting to warm up to him. The Packers needed to add more depth to their safeties and Morgan Burnett does just that.[/i]
Grade: A-

5th Round (156): Andrew Quarless, TE, Penn State
5th Round (169): Marshall Newhouse, OG, TCU
6th Round (193): James Starks, RB, Buffalo
7th Round (230): C.J. Wilson, DE, East Carolina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: