Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5th Round (169): Marshall Newhouse, OG, TCU
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: 5th Round (169): Marshall Newhouse, OG, TCU Reply with quote

With the 169th Overall Selection, the Green Bay Packers select...

Marshall Newhouse, OG, TCU

Height: 6'3 3/8 Weight: 319 Arm: 34" Hand: 10 1/4"
40: 4.99 10: 1.74 20: 2.93
Reps: 25 Vertical: 25" Broad Jump: 8'1"
Shuttle: 4.60 Cone: 7.40

Highlights
Newhouse Interview
OT Coach James Campen Press Conference

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1125978 wrote:
Positives: Newhouse has a thick, squat frame, with a wide chest, long arms, very strong hand punch (more so with his right than left) with above average quickness, powerful leg drive, strong hands, broad shoulders and a thick chest Uses his hands with force to jolt and shock the defender in attempts to control the line of scrimmage One of the more athletic trap blockers in the draft, he has good body control and flexibility, loose hips, average initial quickness and does a nice job of keeping his hands inside his frame to battle counter moves Quick coming off the snap, getting his hands up into the defender's chest to gain advantage, leverage and sustain Has the agility to play the guard position at the next level, as he has a strong concept for angling and shows good plant-&-drive agility to follow the ballcarrier to the cutback lanes Has above average hand speed, showing the ability to fire off the snap with explosiveness With his field vision, he can easily locate stunts and blitzes Displays good balance and body control on the short pull, taking proper angles to get to the linebackers at the second level Good position blocker with fluid flexibility and knee bend Has the ability to wall off and screen, doing a nice job of rolling his hips on contact Plays with leverage and at a proper pad level, delivering powerful arm swipes to prevent defenders from getting into his body Sinks his hips, mirrors the defensive linemen, bends his knees properly and extends his arms well to make the reach block Works well in combination with the other linemen to maintain the rush lanes and shows flexibility and balance working toward the edge to shut down the pass rush With his excellent balance and wide base, he can easily maintain position at the line of scrimmage and is very effective driving his man off the first level Shows good body control and hip snap to get in front on end-around, as his hand strength allows him to lock on and control the defender When working in-line, he handles combo blocks effectively and works well with the tackles in neutralizing the blitzes off the edge.

Negatives: Has very good arm reach, but his hands are not evenly proportioned (right one is 10 1/4-inches in width/left one is 9 1/2) and he does become right-hand dominant because of this His size is a little shorter than what most teams look for in a left tackle and will more likely shift inside to guard While he shows nimble feet and a good burst working into the second level, he sometimes gets his feet too narrow running long distances and can be tripped up This results in him slipping off some of his blocks when working in space, but he shows the ability to recover and take good angles On the rare occasions that he drops his head in pass protection, he will then tend to play some on his toes, but he will then recover, sink his hips and do a decent job of mirroring his man Despite his strong hand punch, he will do more grabbing that shocking and jolting the defender as he starts tiring later in games.

Compares To: RANDY THOMAS, ex-Washington -- Newhouse should have little problem adjusting to blocking in-line. He was often used to lead the charge on end-arounds and works well with the other blockers to widen the rush lane. He is a powerful sort, yet also has very good balance and quickness for an offensive lineman. For a team that stresses zone blocking, this nimble athlete should fit in nicely.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/marshall-newhouse?id=497030#tabs:tab-analysis wrote:
Strength: Marshall is tall enough with a thick build. Has a good first step and the speed to make blocks at the second level. Maintains a wide base and uses his hands to push edge rushers past the pocket. Three-year starter at TCU.

Weakness: Lacks the lateral agility to make blocks in space and struggles to get into position after counter moves. Does not consistently recognize stunts and blitzes and misses his blocking assignments too often. Lacks a mean streak and does not always finish blocks.

My Grade: A. Newhouse is a terrific selection for what this offense likes to do up front. Newhouse is a big lineman who has college experience at left tackle, but is projected to kick inside to guard for the Packers. I think Newhouse solidifies a deep offensive line filled to the brim with young, athletic talent. If we can't find 5 future starters out of the talent we have here now, I'll be absolutely shocked.

General Consensus on the forum: It doesn't appear that anyone here is upset with the selection. While some think he's a longer term answer at LG, others think or want this to mean the end of Daryn Colledge. Regardless, Newhouse is a classic TT mid-round lineman that should add depth to an offensive line that desperately needed it last year.

Last edited by RashaanSalaami on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:58 pm; edited 6 times in total
snackattack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoo. ray.

great pick, protect this house!!
BrettFavre004

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of all this trench work TT is doing.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
Packers89

Wow love it! Nice job TT.
Bucktuck

Does this mean anything about Daryn Colledge?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be content with keeping Lang at RT then, just let him and Tausch duke it out.

Sitton at RG.

Then between Newhouse, Wells, College and Spitz, we should be able to get two qualtity guys in there.

packerfanman4

Another very nice pick by TT. Had him in my mock, too! I really like every pick thus far, except the Mike Neal selection. But I certainly do trust TT, so I'm not really disappointed either.

We've had a really nice draft and still have two more picks!

Thrillhouse wrote:
Scarlett's my top babe. She's like, Aaron Rodgers' tier. If mortals were worthy of Aaron's affections, that is.
BrettFavre004

Bucktuck wrote:
Does this mean anything about Daryn Colledge?

I really think a 5th rounder means nothing TBH.

Bucktuck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just want Newhouse to show Colledge up; don't like DC's attitude right now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow....

I can't believe that TT took a college OT that projects to pro G, that ran a sub 4.6 SS and sub 7.6 cone, in either the 4th or 5th round.

A first for him.

Following the trend of the last few years, he's 310 lb +

Title Town USA wrote:
Waldo was right!
spilltray

Bucktuck wrote:
Yeah, I just want Newhouse to show Colledge up; don't like DC's attitude right now.

If anything I think it means more to TJ Lang playing RT than anything to do with Colledge.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster

Based on Waldo's numbers, I believed I had him pegged as one of our potential selections, not that it surprised anyone. I think this is kinda like Lang where we all knew Newhouse was a very likely TT selection.
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good pick I love both the linemen we have taken Bulaga and Newhouse could be our future on the left side.

~kinetic~
number50

He is a big boy. Him an Bulaga are both very big lineman. Do you think the Packers are moving away from the undersized linemen that they have been drafting in years past and have not worked out very well?
Johnmhead99 is quoted as saying: "Neal = F for Fail. A couple of years from now, we can look back, and see that I was right; and that this was not a good pick. How many of you actually watched Neal? Funny thing about him he isn't anything special."
Ketchup

BrettFavre004 wrote:
I might be content with keeping Lang at RT then, just let him and Tausch duke it out.

Sitton at RG.

Then between Newhouse, Wells, College and Spitz, we should be able to get two qualtity guys in there.
I agree with this. Let Bulaga and Lang strictly develop behind Cliffy and Tausch and let Colledge, Spitz, Wells and Newhouse battle it out for the two remaining spots on the o-line at LG and C.

Kempes on the custom sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: