Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers Trade Up, 3rd Round (71): Morgan Burnett, S, GT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RashaanSalaami

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Packers Trade Up, 3rd Round (71): Morgan Burnett, S, GT Reply with quote

OFFICIAL TRADE:
Packers get: 3rd Round Pick (71)
Eagles get: 3rd Round Pick (86), 4th Round Pick (122)

With the 71st Overall Selection, the Green Bay Packers select...

Morgan Burnett, S, GT

Height: 6'1 3/8 Weight: 209 Arm: 31 3/4" Hand: 9"
40: 4.42 10: 1.57 20: 2.62
Reps: 16 Vertical: 39.5" Broad Jump: 11'0"
Shuttle: 4.31 Cone: 7.12

Statistics:
2007: 57 tackles, 2.5 TFL, 1 sack, 3 INT, 7 BU, 1 FR
2008: 93 tackles, 7 TFL, 7 INT, 8 BU, 15 PD, 1 FF
2009: 85 tackles, 4 TFL, 4 INT, 4 BU, 8 PD, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 BLK

Highlights
Burnett Interview after Pro Day
Morgan Burnett Interview
Safeties Coach Darren Perry Press Conference
Scout Brian Gutekunst
Ted Thompson End of Day 2 Press Conference

Quote:
Read & React: Reliable instincts for the position. Diagnoses the play and accelerates quickly to the ball, showing little wasted motion. Understands his role as the last line of defense and takes good angles to limit the damage.

Man Coverage: A bit high in his backpedal, but can flip his hips to turn and run with receivers. Changes direction quickly enough that he was often asked to drop down as a nickel cornerback and appears to have the fluidity and break on the ball to do so at the next level. Good hand strength to press at the line of scrimmage. Keeps his hands on the receiver at the start of his route to disrupt timing with the quarterback. Quick, active hands to fight with the receiver as the ball arrives. Good ball skills (14 career INTs).

Zone Coverage: An alert zone defender, Burnett understands his role and the role of his teammates. Recognizes holes in the zone and is quick to react. Sneaks a peek back at the quarterback and breaks on the ball quickly. Has the straight-line speed and agility to change direction necessary in being a true centerfielder in three-deep coverage and the range for two-deep.

Closing/Recovery: Sneaks a peek into the backfield to read the quarterback's eyes. Generates speed quickly out of his breaks and shows a late burt to close. Locates the ball quickly and competes for the jump ball. Highpoints the ball and has the body control and strength in his hands to come down with the contested interception.

Run Support: Willing and active in run support. Attacks the line of scrimmage, but will take questionable angles to the ball and is too often forced to re-direct at the last moment and latch on for a drag-down tackle, rather than applying a forceful pop. Willing to take on blockers, but prefers to elude and make the tackle himself.

Tackling: Flashes some pop as a hitter. Can be an intimidating presence over the middle. Often leads with his shoulder rather than wrapping up. Generally a reliable wrap-up open-field tackler. Takes questionable angles when coming down in run support, forcing himself to lunge and latch on to the ballcarrier attempting to cut back against him. Has the strong, accurate hands to grab hold for the pull-down tackler, but this is an area in which he could improve. Stronger NFL runners will be able to break away from his arm tackles.

Intangibles: Elected to leave early despite what some characterized as a "disappointing" 2009 season. Signed with Georgie Tech as a highly touted prep prospect. Received offers from Alabama, Florida and Georgia. First career touchdown came on an INT return against 2009 No. 1 draft pick Matthew Stafford in 2008.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/morgan-burnett?id=496727#tabs:tab-analysis wrote:
Strength: Burnett is a prospect with a really nice combination of size, strength and athleticism. Was a very productive player in the secondary for Georgia Tech. Does not have any durability questions. He plays with good intelligence. Exhibits the instincts to come up quickly against the run and jump routes in coverage. Has very good ball skills and is comfortable playing in deep coverage.

Weakness: Burnett is plagued by inconsistencies with a few areas of his game. Needs to play with the same high level of aggressiveness more often. Takes inconsistent angles, can over-run plays and is susceptible to double-moves and giving up big plays in coverage. Is also inconsistent run support.

My Grade: B+. I like the move to trade up by Thompson to grab a safety where our depth is weak. He's has great potential to not only back-up Bigby, but push him for a starting position in the near future. While Burnett still has areas of his game he needs to polish, primarily taking better angles on the field, I think he and Nick Collins could form a dynamic duo in the secondary.

General Consensus on the forum: The forum is ecstatic to move up in the 3rd round to draft much-needed help at safety. We feel Burnett is a solid selection with the potential to not only play as the 3rd safety off the bench, but challenge Atari Bigby for a spot in the near future. The fact that we moved up right in front of the Bears to presumably snatch "their player" is just icing on the cake.

Last edited by RashaanSalaami on Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:31 pm; edited 8 times in total
Sandybaby716

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES! i love this pick

he can start as soon as bigby gets hurt!

AirOnRodgers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT sux

[quote="detfan782004"]
When teams step on the field both teams have a 50% chance to win. Pretty simple[/quote]

DETFAN782004 - The man who can bankrupt Las Vegas
snackattack

THANK YOU TED THOMPSON! THANK YOU!!!
BobSacamano

Really like the pick. first " Players packers have shown interest in" to be selected.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won
Blank402

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's who I wanted with our second.

Good pick.
Packers89

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it, really needed that help to our secondary. He could challenge Bigby for the starting spot.
ROBOKOP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all like this one. Big drop off for safety after Burnett

Thanks to epackfan for the sig
hawk050

I love this pick! Solidified the offensive line, defensive line, and now safety. Perfect

^^^Packerbacker87
palmy50 wrote:
The fact it's so tight is just a plus.
BrettFavre004

Oh hells yeah.

Does this mean cutiepie will shut up for a few rounds?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=17
VIKE ME

I like this pick for you guys. I think he was a solid 2nd round talent.

I think hes going to be someone that teams in need of a safety will regret passing on him in the 2nd round.
Buckrock101

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like this pick. Perfect value in the 3rd, he'll bring very good safety depth at least, could well start over Bigby pretty soon.

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

I knew this would be Burnett - Da Bears woulda been all over this. Suck on that Chicago. YEAHHHH!
ajdodge09

WOOO!!

Really, really like this pick. Great value and position of need. I thought he'd be gone when we picked.

And we essentially only gave up #122.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: