Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2nd Round (56): Mike Neal, DT/DE, Purdue
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RashaanSalaami

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: 2nd Round (56): Mike Neal, DT/DE, Purdue Reply with quote

With the 56th Overall Selection, the Green Bay Packers select...

Mike Neal, DT/DE, Purdue

Height: 6'3 Weight: 294 Arm: 33 1/2" Hand: 10 1/4"
40: 4.87 10: 1.60 20: 2.72
Reps: 31 Vertical: 33" Broad Jump: 9'5"
Shuttle: 4.53 Cone: 7.53

Statistics:
2006: 9 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 BU
2007: 22 tackles, 3.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 1 BU, 1 PD,
2008: 33 tackles, 10 TFL, 5.5 sacks
2009: 35 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 1 FF, 2 FR

Mike Neal Interview
Mike Trgovac Press Conference
Asst. Director of College Scouting Shaun Herock Press Conference

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/564095 wrote:
Pass rush: Once through the line, Neal has the closing speed to get into the quarterback's face. Occasionally drops into coverage on zone blitzes, looks fairly fluid. Gets jumpy on the line, guesses at the snap count too much. Needs more pass rush moves to beat veteran NFL linemen. Should get his hands into passing lanes more often when not able to reach the quarterback.

Run defense: Holds ground adequately against double teams, can split on occasion. Recovers from cut blocks quickly. Inconsistent shedding blocks against the run, but has the strength to do so. Does not hustle and chase as much as you'd like, standing around too much if the play goes away from him. Could improve his backfield awareness to prevent biting on play-action or misdirection.

Explosion: Very good quickness enough off the snap to penetrate at the three-technique, will cause guards to draw holding penalties at the next level. Has some pop on initial contact and push his defender back when man-up. Good lateral movement to sidestep into gap after the snap, although he takes himself out of plays more often than not when doing that.

Strength: One of the strongest players in the draft in terms of weightlifting numbers, but does not always play that way. When on his game, plays with leverage and capable of stacking guards and moving laterally or pushing the pocket. Inconsistent using his hands to disengage, will stand around after initial contact when gassed.

Tackling: Strong upper body allows him to swallow ballcarriers when coming on straight-on or chasing from behind. Has trouble shedding blocks at times and is inconsistent catching backs coming through the hole if he does get off. Does not get many hustle tackles getting downfield or to the outside.

Intangibles: Team captain and their defensive leader. Big weight room performer. Displayed toughness playing through a torn labrum. Loses his composure on the field at times, however, leading to unnecessary penalties.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/mike-neal?id=496833#tabs:tab-analysis wrote:
Strength: Neal has really active hands that never stop working. He exhibits notable leadership qualities. Has the instincts necessary to diagnose and find the football. Does a good job pushing the pocket with his power rush. Has good lateral agility. Plays with a relentless motor.

Weakness: Neal only has average range and wonít consistently track down plays to the outside. Has a narrow base and isnít always capable on anchoring and holding up at the point of attack. As a three technique, needs to expand and broaden his pass rush package.

My Grade: C+. I think it's a reach, but a predictable, classic Ted Thompson "reach". Neal is a special athletic specimen with a 10 yard split equal to CB Jerome Murphy and RB Jonathan Dwyer. I love our DL coach and Dom's chances in working with the kid to develop another strong lineman. This pick shows the commitment Ted has in keeping the DL strong and we should have one of the best fronts for many years to come.

General Consensus on the forum: The forum isn't too happy about the selection, though more people are beginning to trust in Ted Thompson and his ability to find players who aren't necessarily the popular pick. People are beginning to recognize Neal's gifted athleticism and the value of a strong, deep rotation on the defensive line. Though some are beginning to question whether this selection has deeper meaning for the futures of Harrell, Jolly, and Jenkins, others feel it's completely unrelated and only a reflection upon the Packers' opinion of Mike Neal.

Last edited by RashaanSalaami on Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:13 pm; edited 7 times in total
snackattack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like it. keep that line strong
Apodrocks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand this one, I know nothing about him.
hmm, I trust Teddy though?

^Packerbacker87 on the sig, thanks!
RodgePodge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand this. Why not trade back and still get him?
Packers89

Ugh....
ajdodge09

Meh. I like the player, but he doesnt really fill a need. Maybe this means Jolly could be gone soon?

I haven't ever heard his name. Any info on this guy?

Sig by Justo
TheGreatZepp

Definitely didn't see this one coming.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodgePodge wrote:
I don't understand this. Why not trade back and still get him?

I don't get this thinking at ALL. Who says he'd still be available later in the draft? Are you from the future? If you like the guy you pick him where you are at and move on.

bears2308 wrote:
Green Bay is one of the most over-rated teams in the league
snackattack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apodrocks wrote:
I don't understand this one, I know nothing about him.
hmm, I trust Teddy though?

on the flip side, most people (myself included) thought we knew sergio was a first round pick for sure. little did we know he had medical issues.

TT knows what he's doing. GO PACK!!
PacAttack04

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im okay with the pick. Maybe not the best player, but seems like a good, all around 3-4 DE, athletic enough to get a pass rush and big enough to stop the run.
ugLymayNe

Eh. Not really a fan but I'll trust our front office here. He is disruptive, that is for sure. I like the way our defensive line is looking. I think this means they weren't crazy about Wynn's progression and/or were going to trade Jenkins.

Sig brought to you by Justo
Packers89

I'm just kind of confused.

Wootton was on the board. Sad
packerbacker87

Neal was a 5th rounder at best IMO.

this pick makes me think that the packers are preparing to lose either Jenkins or jolly (which was already likely) & also that Justin Harrell may not be as far along as they would have hoped

an interesting pick to make with how stacked our DL is this year... obviously a pick planning for the future of 2011 & beyond IMO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: