You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Chargers War Room (Now offering a 3 day special!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duffman57

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the LBC gettin my boy in the 7th round (and for the record, I would put hus name in this post, but no, I can't spell his name and I'm WAY too lazy to go look it up.

Expect my mock up there when I get back to SD later today.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we get closer to the draft, I keep getting a stronger feel Gerhart will be the pick. I haven't changed my mind enough to change my mock,but I just feel he will get a long look at 28 and/or 40.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
As we get closer to the draft, I keep getting a stronger feel Gerhart will be the pick. I haven't changed my mind enough to change my mock,but I just feel he will get a long look at 28 and/or 40.

I'm going the opposite way. I was sure it would be Gerhart in the beginning, but now I'm not so sure. My guess now is Alualu at 28, and Dwyer at 40.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're both wrong, Smith thinks too highly of himself to "waste" a pick early on a RB.

Also, Gerhart is Hester 2.0 F that,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The-Beast wrote:
You're both wrong, Smith thinks too highly of himself to "waste" a pick early on a RB.

I really can't afford a new television this year.... AJ don't make me do it.

I think Earl Thomas is our first pick. The forum overvalues the safety position and I really think he could fall to us. I'd be over joyed to say the least.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BS, I've got to think we'd have to trade up to get Earl Thomas, considering the Cowboys - who pick before us - have multiple sources stating that they're attempting to move up in order to target Thomas.

I did find an interesting article via Bolthype though its from Chargers.com.

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/AJ-Smith-talks-draft/75c62678-d14e-43fe-aa14-dabce9f5c85e

Quote:
Q: Can you explain how you and your staff evaluate players in the draft? Can you use last year’s top selection, linebacker Larry English, as an example and describe some of the criteria and language used to evaluate him?

A.J.: “We use a lot of clichés in our business. We almost speak another language in scouting. All scouts and coaches know it’s a jargon that we use. With Larry English, for example, obviously he has the measurables—the height, weight and speed that are good for the position. But what stood out to us about him was that he has pass-rush ability. What is that? That’s a great first step. That’s great explosion. He has the ability to bend the corner and get in on a pass rush, which is an athletic move and an athletic gift. Those are some of the qualities we saw in him. Also he has a relentless pursuit. He will not give up from sideline to sideline. He doesn’t coast if he doesn’t have an angle on a quarterback or a running back. It’s full-blown pursuit. How does he tackle? Is he technically sound? Does his head go down into the ground or is his head up when tackling? Is he disciplined in tackling? We think all of these things are in place for Larry, which is why we highly coveted him and went after him in the first round. Now his future is unfolding. He’s only had one year in San Diego. We expect great things from him. To top it all off for him, he has great desire to be the best. He has a great work ethic; a year-round work ethic. When you have that, it’s going to draw attention. What we’ve seen in the year that he has been here is exactly that. He wants to be very good and he works on it year-round. He works here and he takes care of his body. That’s another thing; are they going to take care of their body through strength and conditioning? He does all those things. So we are very pleased.”

After reading that bit (though the whole article is actually pretty darn informative), I have to get the feeling that guys like Mount Cody, potentially Brian Price, and any guy with questionable work ethic and a demonstrated inability to take care of their bodies during the offseason aren't going to be valued as highly unless they absolutely blew AJ away in the interview during their visit.

Acee - God love him, because none of us do - tweeted today that he thought we'd be considering Price over Cody because Cody is mostly just "weight"... I found that a little odd considering that Price has been linked to having work ethic and weight issues (not to mention is something of a one-year wonder, which AJ tends to shy away from... coincidentally I think that may also rule out Dan Williams).

To quote another gem that AJ let slip or rather confirmed wen asked point blank about it: That he targets "football players more than athletes". That statement pings a number of prospects in my mind, some that we'll never sniff, but some we could: Joe Haden, Rolando McClain, Sean Weatherspoon, Tyson Alualu, Jerry Hughes, Anthony Dixon, Sean Lee, Jonathan Dwyer, Perrish Cox, Phillip Dillard, and quite possibly LeGarrette Blount.[/quote]

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The-Beast wrote:

Besides skin tone, Gerhart and Hester have nothing in common. Nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurray, typed up my mock and then my browser crashed! Hopefully it is just getting it out of the system so it doesnt do it tomorrow.

First, I disagree with your assessment on Price and Alualu LBC. Price was not a one year wonder. He dominated the last two years and showed great promise as a freshman. If he keeps his weight and check he could be a monster in the right system. That system is not the 34 though. Alualu is in my opinion not a guy you can cross off from that quote. I feel he is helped by that quote. He is a football player, with two strong years at Cal and a great work ethic. Not as dominant as Price, but a early second prospect in a very deep draft. In fact, he reminds me a little of Ziggy Hood.

My mock. To distraught to do a write up again after last time. I should have used Word...

1. Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State
2. Nate Allen, S, South Florida
3. Donald Butler, ILB, Washington
4. Taylor Price, WR, Ohio
5. Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State
5. Joique Bell, RB, Wayne State
7. RJ Stanford, CB, Utah

Matthews, Allen, Butler all easy explainable.
Price - Need a 5th WR to develop.
Robinson - 3 year starter with good production against good schools
Bell and Stanford are easy explainable.

Why no DLine?

I feel if the Chargers don't get 'their guy' at pick 28 or 40, then there is a small chance the find a guy who upgrades this roster. We have 10 guys who have a chance of starting this year, so unless there is a quality guy in the first round or 40 (like Odrick or Alualu), then I don't see a DL brought in during the middle rounds.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Williams
Ryan Mathews
Jahvid Best
Jared Odrick
Terrence Cody

Round 2:
Tyson Alualu
Linval Joseph
Chad Jones
Nate Allen
Toby Gerhart

Round 3:
Ben Tate
Donald Butler
Montario Hardesty
Morgan Burnett
Kyle Calloway

Round 4
Taylor Price
John Skelton
Ed Dickson
Jimmy Graham
Larry Asante

Round 5
T.J. Ward
Zac Robinson
LeGarrette Blount
Travis Goethel
Dan LeFevour

Round 6
Joique Bell
Corey Peters
Darrell Stuckey
Alterraun Verner
Syd’Quan Thompson

Round 7
RJ Stanford
Jorrick Calvin
Chris Chancellor
Kerry Meier
David Reed
Duffman57

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think we're gonna get SOME sort of DL help this year, even if its not a NT (that is if your following that we are gonna still play the 3-4, cuz if you dont look at this, i would look like a HUGE hypocrite lol). I'm not a big fan of ur mock though. I think that Skelton is a much better fit at QB for our system, and he would be a BEAST under Turner, Price is a big reach in the 4th, i think i would like someone like Carlton Mitchell over him.Bell is fine, and i dont know Stanford, but he should be fine. I dont think Allen would fill much of a need.

Here's mine...

1st: Demaryius Thomas WR, Ga Tech (Why you ask? Because AJ can. I see us playing the hybrid with a big favor to the 4-3 due to Rivera's expertice, so NT isn't as big of a need because we have serviceable guys who could play there when we're only in it half the time, and RB can EASILY be found later in the draft. We do this in order to sure up the WR corps with the uncertainty if either of our guys are gonna be there next year.)

2nd: Ben Tate RB, Auburn (He's a great runner, who, if he learns to dance less in the backfield (due partly to his OL's terribleness) then he will be a monster. I would like him to add a little more weight, to be more of a true powerback like Barber, minus the injuries. He's a good pass catcher, he is a VERY willing blocker (and if you have that, then technique will come). He's just a great fit for our system.)

3rd: Thaddeus Gibson OLB, Ohio State (He's perfect for us. If we start to move more towards the 4-3, he's a great athlete, and is a very quick pass rusher, like Dumerville, who would be a great edge rusher when called upon. He is a very good "quick twitch" athlete who has good exp in coverage and his versatility would be REALLY helpful to our hybrid, playing OLB in both.)

4th: Tony Washington OT, Albine Christian (I know people get caught up in [Edited by Moderator], but he's a raw tallent with superb athleticism. Again, this is a pick to fuffil the future needs. We have a HUGE Q at OT next year due to McNeil and Clary both being FA's. He's a perfect fit with us because he gets a chance to learn the first year, and if needed, plays the next year.)

5th: John Skelton QB, Fordham (He's just got a strait CANNON. He's huge and pretty agile escaping the rush. [Edited by Moderator] He has some mechanical issues and played for a small school, but those wont be a problem with Norv still at the helm.)

5th(comp): Michael Hoomanawanui TE, Illinois (This guy is just a strait beast. He's a big samoan blockin TE who is very physical and is a decent pass catcher. He may be gone by here, but he would be a great pickup here if we get a shot at him. And plus who can deny this SWEET facepaint job every game??? lol)

7th: John Estes C, Hawaii (We dont need so much help here, but we do need depth. Our C situation behind Hardwick is nothing less than just Sad. He would give instant depth, and he is the same type of athletic, smart C who although isn't the biggest guy, will get the job done. He's a mean feisty guy)

So, how do ya guys like it???

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I'm having trouble seeing WR in round 1. But I wouldn't be surprised if AJ picks a WR from a triple option offense in the first Smile

Not a huge fan of Tate at 40. I would think pick 91 is a sweet spot for him if the team would rather get him than Best, Matthews, Gerhart, and Dwyer.

Rest of the picks I'm ok with. I have grown to like Hoomanawanui since you talk about him so much.

Anyways, just 15 hours away (and I'm off to bed)!
The-Beast

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:

7th: John Estes C, Hawaii (We dont need so much help here, but we do need depth. Our C situation behind Hardwick is nothing less than just Sad. He would give instant depth, and he is the same type of athletic, smart C who although isn't the biggest guy, will get the job done. He's a mean feisty guy)

Well I think this snippet is retarded.

Mruckowski

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to time restrains, this year I won't be able to participate in the competition....

Good luck, guys!
Duffman57

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The-Beast wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:

Mruckowski

I'm not so sure that he isn't a guard playing WAY out of position IMO. When hardwick came back from his injury, you could tell so much that the difference was there, and M cow just wasn't anywhere close to what Hardwick brought to us. No matter what, i think we still need a backup C since M Cow is a FA next year anyway.

MrDrew wrote:
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
The-Beast wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:

Mruckowski

I'm not so sure that he isn't a guard playing WAY out of position IMO. When hardwick came back from his injury, you could tell so much that the difference was there, and M cow just wasn't anywhere close to what Hardwick brought to us. No matter what, i think we still need a backup C since M Cow is a FA next year anyway.

It was a big change at first, but he got better as time went on. He was playing at a real high level when Hardwick came back.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 2 of 26

Jump to: