You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

dolphins dont need a qb they need to draft a lineman worthit
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowboys_78_Ty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: dolphins dont need a qb they need to draft a lineman worthit Reply with quote

dolphins dont need to draft any qbs they need to get young talent for there line because if they draft a qb to be the future the way the line is now he would be another ryan leaf
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently someone hasn't watched us play this year. The line is not great, but it isn't bad. It finished among the top in both rushing average and sacks allowed.

A quarterback IS what we need. You are mistaken.
K_LO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: dolphins dont need a qb they need to draft a lineman wor Reply with quote

Cowboys_78_Ty wrote:
dolphins dont need to draft any qbs they need to get young talent for there line because if they draft a qb to be the future the way the line is now he would be another ryan leaf

When you say a lineman, please be more specific. What position?
Fishfan79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our center is in his second year, our LG is solid and could start on 90% of teams in the league. Our right tackle is in his 2nd year and was very solid for the year.

that is 3/5s of the line right there.

McIntosh is overpaid so I wouldnt mind replacing him but he isnt a bad LT honestly overall. I personally wanna draft whitworth in the 2nd to fill in LT.

at RG I think we can pluck someone in FA, there is alot out there.

But overall our line did very well and Houck believes next year they will be good.

If Houck believes they will be good, then I believe him too.

A franchise LT would be nice, but QB is a bigger need.

Our needs Mirror the cowboys almost completely

LT (past prime overpaid left tackles)
QB ( over the hill QBs)
S ( could both use safety depth)

only difference is we have better backs Smile
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Cowboys_78_Ty. I do not believe our QB(s) are over the hill. Gus is a good stop gap QB and Rosenfels showed to be a solid backup, which given a chance could be a reliable starter i.e J.Delhome. Not to mention there will surely be some young QB's to come available in free agency this year i.e Harrington, Ramsey or possibly get D. Carr in a trade (if the Texans select V.Young). See the problem is there are a lot of options at QB and not as many at Tackle. It is Ferguson and J.Scott, that's it. Do you really want to draft another UM O-lineman? Especially one with injury concerns? Hell if you want to be more specific, the Dolphins could probably use more D-line help instead of O-line help.
Fishfan79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott
D'Brickshaw
Winston
whitworth
Colledge
McNeil
justice
Ocallaghan
Trueblood
Stenavich

these are all expected in the top three rounds of the draft. I can go on if you really want. there is more in the 4th,5th,6th, 7th rounders too.

Plus we have the project kid we took last year that they believe can be something special.

There is more Tackles in this draft then there is QB's of top quality. It is a very deep tackle draft.

But for QB after cutler the talent takes a huge nose dive.

If Scott is there in the 1st though I give him a hard look. But QB is a huge need.

btw sage is a FA and gone this year.
frankmoore

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishfan79 wrote:
There is more Tackles in this draft then there is QB's of top quality. It is a very deep tackle draft.

Very true. However, I read a great article a couple of years ago that made an incredible point -- in the NFL, you can get to the Super Bowl (and win it) with a good QB but you won't go anywhere without a top left tackle. The article pointed out that approximately half of the NFL teams at the time fielded QBs who were not selected on Day 1 of the draft (let alone the first round) or went undrafted. Conversely, it point out that there were only 3 teams in the NFL whose starting LT was not selected in the first 3 rounds of the draft. Those teams (at the time) were the Jets (Jason Fabini, selected in 4th round), the Raiders (Barry Sims, undrafted after suffering major injury his senior year but had been a first-round caliber prospect entering his senior year) and another team that I cannot remember, but I believe it was the 49ers.

The point I'm trying to make is that if Miami has a choice between a franchise caliber LT and a QB who might be franchise caliber, they should go with the LT. There will be QBs who are good enough to get you to the SB later in the draft.

Fishfan79 wrote:

I disagree. I think that, with an extra 10 pounds, Brodie Croyle can play a high level in the NFL for at least a dozen years. I think that Kellen Clemens can as well. Will either be ready to start right away? No. But their chances of playing well would be a lot better with an elite LT blocking their blind side.

Fishfan79 wrote:

Not a definite (that's what we thought last year) but I'll bet he's not offered anything more than veteran minimum.
FF Member #1031

Last edited by frankmoore on Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Backwoodsboy65

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point about the LT position, I totally agree with you.

I do think that Croyle will be able to start quicker than Cutler. Clemens never impressed me. I think that he could be a possibility in the 5th or 6th rounds.
FF Member #1000
Fishfan79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree about the need for a left tackle and I think the talent is there this year to pick up one.

my own first choice draft is cutler then whitworth in the 2nd.

But I believe the tackles go like this in the draft for talent

D'Brickshaw head and shoulders above the rest
Scott solid in all areas and a beast top 10 pick caliber
McNeail - more of a right tackle but has amazing mass and size, if he can get faster he is a franchise left tackle but for now is a good RT for someone
Winston - could be a steal if he gets past the injuries, he was playing this year while recovering still which hurt his stock. If he came out last year even injured he would of been a first rounder.

whitworth - solid tackle, destroyed the miami front 7 in that game when he was against any of them. Did good in the hard SEC.

college - solid player,supposedly read he will put on weight for the combine because is said to be too small for LT

justice - a RT at USC the whole team

trueblood - from a great school for lineman, I am not sure if he is really that good.

Ocallaghan - solid player should be good in time.

stenavich - could be a project for a LT but could be had in the 3rd most likely maybe the 4th

If the talent is there and can be had in the 2nd to 3rd for guys that normally would be only 1-2nd rounds. Why take that super high pick on them?
MiamiDolphins34

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone said that late qbs can win super bowls i say draft BRETT BASANEZ OUT OF NorthWestern I am tellin u this guy will b a 4 5 or 6 rounder he will lead us im serious he is a qb that can he it perfect 60 yards on the run and also is very mobile and is the smartest qb in ncaa division 1 fball.......he made his own video game which helps him in the pocket reading dfences an studies mor film den n e one
BrettWolfe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These cowboys fans just want Cutler to fall to them.

I'm on the Croyle bandwagon, but if Cutler's available u take him.

My 2 cents.

Dolphins Fan
Tyboogie-fins83

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Yes we do need a QB Reply with quote

This is over 20 years of Dol-fan talking. We need to get offensive linemen from the BIG 10 or the SEC (they run very well in those conferences). For now we have 2 great running backs. Second we should take a chance on Omar Jacobs from Bowling Green in the second round. We also need to get tatto artist at safety.
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankmoore wrote:
Fishfan79 wrote:

Very true. However, I read a great article a couple of years ago that made an incredible point -- in the NFL, you can get to the Super Bowl (and win it) with a good QB but you won't go anywhere without a top left tackle. The article pointed out that approximately half of the NFL teams at the time fielded QBs who were not selected on Day 1 (left alone the first round) of the draft. Conversely, it point out that there were only 3 teams in the NFL whose starting LT was not selected in the first 3 rounds of the draft. Those teams (at the time) were the Jets (Jason Fabini, selected in 4th round), the Raiders (Barry Sims, undrafted after suffering major injury his senior year but had been a first-round caliber prospect entering his senior year) and another team that I cannot remember.

The point I'm trying to make is that if Miami has a choice between a franchise caliber LT and a QB who might be franchise caliber, they should go with the LT. There will be QBs who are good enough to get you to the SB later in the draft.

Fishfan79 wrote:

I disagree. I think that, with an extra 10 pounds, Brodie Croyle can play a high level in the NFL for at least a dozen years. I think that Kellen Clemens can as well. Will either be ready to start right away? No. But their chances of playing well would be a lot better with an elite LT blocking their blind side.

Fishfan79 wrote:

Not a definite (that's what we thought last year) but I'll bet he's not offered anything more than veteran minimum.

I could not have said it better myself. There are just too many QB's that have success without the high draft pick status. Speaking of tackles, what the hell ever happened to Ross Verba?
TigertownWR#80

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only ovious thing here is that we need both, we need a QB and a LT.
I would probably have take in QB in first if Cutler is still there if not I would have waited until 2-3 round to take 1. If a top 3/4 lt is there I would have taken him so if not any of them are there there is bound to a safety left so we will have him. That's my priority¨anyway.

Help my English grade by pointing out my grammar and spelling mistakes.
BrettWolfe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way we go QB in the first is if Cutler falls. If not I'm leaning toward Darnell Bing or Laron Landry. O-line is this years RB depth of last year.

Dolphins Fan

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: