Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Taylor Mays Chatter
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirty Harry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Taylor Mays Chatter Reply with quote

This is my first topic, so I hope I'm doing eveything right.

I'm a senior at McFarland High School, and spend hours in the weight room every week. One of our coaches, Coach Peterson, comes in everyday to help the younger kids.

Anyways, Coach Peterson was a defensive back on Ohio State's practice squad, where he became best friends with our own Brandon Underwood. He also is buddies with a couple other Packers in the secondary including Jarrett Bush and Tramon Williams.

I always ask questions obviously about some of my boys. Today I got some information about the Draft. Apparently, Underwood and the rest of the secondary are convinced that Taylor Mays will be our first pick. If they have talked to TT or are just assuming I don't know. But Coach said BU was pretty confident.

It seems legit because safety is the biggest need on the team IMO, and he seems like a TT player. But I still would prefer Graham, Iupati, or Odrick in that order.

Not tring to pretend I'm an insider on my first topic, just giving out something to consider. Smile

PS:

He thinks his former teammate AJ Hawk has lost a step, that Underwood is NOT moving to safety (at least for now), and that BU really loves Green Bay!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This supports the bits and pieces that we have been hearing for YEARS about Taylor Mays.

Three years ago, Mays was sort of mysteriously picked as a favorite to be drafted by the Packers. He kept going back to school and, as such, those tidbits have sort of been overlooked.

I don't remember how specific the rumors were (it was so long ago), but TT has apparently been very intrigued by Mays for several years now. That's why he continues to be my gut feeling for the Packers 1st round draft pick, unless the board falls to us in a ridiculous manner.

LeGarrette Blount wrote:
Aaron Rodgers...makes me feel incredible.

Uncle Buck wrote:
Barbara Streisand - Can't go into it on this site.
CWood21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to come in and dispel you as some new poster posting some lies, because this hasn't been the first time that Taylor Mays has been linked to Green Bay.

Taylor Mays does make some sense next to Nick Collins.
bstars4evr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor Mays seems like a high risk, high reward pick.

I dont like it because i like being safe, but he has the potential the be the enforcer that we need in our secondary, someone like polameau. He needs to use his brain more when he plays and not go for the knock out punch.

Aaron Rodgers wrote:
So what if the Dos Equis' man told me I was the world's most interesting man
CCjball

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

College doesn't have a practice squad. The distinction is between walk-on and scholarship. Any player is elligible to play as long as they don't have a redshirt (in which they still can play, but they have to ruin their shirt).

Ohio State and Cincinatti (Where BU is from) are different schools. How does a bum from OSU know a relatively star player from the nasty while they were in school?

I find it hard to believe that Ted Thompson told or even hinted to anyone in the secondary that he wanted Mays. Most of the time the players are completly seperated from managing..Plus, this is the off season... I don't think TT is having picnics with BU talking about draft picks.

Saying this... I just want clarification on your statement. Welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nervous when it comes to mays being a packer...

not sure about his maturity... hes a freak athletically but can he be freak at SS in the NFL

i also think hes a very high risk but very high reward guy too...

honestly i will be fine if the pack draft him, but i would be very happy if mays can amount to what bigby could have been...

imo, mays doesnt need to be ed reed or troy, but if he can be a consistant version of bigby but with more athleticism that would make a dominant outfield in our secondary
Dirty Harry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCjball wrote:
College doesn't have a practice squad. The distinction is between walk-on and scholarship. Any player is elligible to play as long as they don't have a redshirt (in which they still can play, but they have to ruin their shirt).

Ohio State and Cincinatti (Where BU is from) are different schools. How does a bum from OSU know a relatively star player from the nasty while they were in school?

I find it hard to believe that Ted Thompson told or even hinted to anyone in the secondary that he wanted Mays. Most of the time the players are completly seperated from managing..Plus, this is the off season... I don't think TT is having picnics with BU talking about draft picks.

BU went to Ohio State before transfrering to Cincy. And I never said TT revealed hs draft plan. I said it was a possibility, but it most likely wasn't.

With that said I don't really want Mays, but I wouldn't throw a tantrum if we got him. I don't have all the info on him but doesn't he play a lot like Bigby? I think we could use a coverage safety instead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCjball wrote:

They don't have a practice squad per say but they do have a practice team which is basically like a practice squad.

~Mozilla on the sig~
CWood21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrillhouse wrote:
I don't remember how specific the rumors were (it was so long ago), but TT has apparently been very intrigued by Mays for several years now. That's why he continues to be my gut feeling for the Packers 1st round draft pick, unless the board falls to us in a ridiculous manner.

I feel the same way Thrill. I'm sure there is someone on the board who a LOT of Packer fans are going to be clamoring for Ted to take, but he'll go with someone slightly different.
Joemailman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feelings about Mays. He would be an upgrade over Bigby. He has some weaknesses which were exposed in a weak USC defense this year. However, I think there's been some piling on, and his weaknesses are not as great as some seem to think. He's not Ed Reed, but he's probably not Roy Williams either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
I'm sure there is someone on the board who a LOT of Packer fans are going to be clamoring for Ted to take, but he'll go with someone slightly different.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7027001#7027001

I lol'ed.

I certainly wouldn't mind Taylor Mays as a Packer.

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
CWood21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a classic case of being "overalyzed". From a pure draft standpoint, he was out of his mind when he chose to return for his senior year. He was nearly a guaranteed top ten prospect last year, in a weak safety class at that, and chose to return to USC. But I can't fault him for coming back.
ARob53

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Mays as a prospect. He's a good pick, but in all honesty, I'd rather draft a safety in the mid rounds.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Thrillhouse wrote:

I feel the same way Thrill. I'm sure there is someone on the board who a LOT of Packer fans are going to be clamoring for Ted to take, but he'll go with someone slightly different.

What about Raji, he was the popular pick, right?

Thrillhouse wrote:
Kegger85 wrote:
WHY NOT E.BROWN

Clay Matthews is going to be BETTER than Everette Brown. Trust me. Write it down on a Post-it and come back to me.

Holy crap!!

ddsteeno wrote:
I think that this is a horrible pick, we should have gone DB Mathews will get beat like a sick puppy because he always drops his hands, and we paid way too much.

Man we should bump old threads all the time for the LOLs Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Kampman74 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr.RodgersNeighborhood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Thrillhouse wrote:

What about Raji, he was the popular pick, right?

But that was top ten. I think pick 23 is a little harder to read

Sig by Justo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: