Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Breaking Down Leonard Floyd: Preseason 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Breaking Down Leonard Floyd: Preseason 1 Reply with quote

With the discussion of Leonard Floyd following week 1 of the preseason, I wanted to go back and make sure that I was right in my assessment of him having a strong game.

It appears that the media is going to continue to focus on his weight and not actually break down the positives that they saw.

I had 28 plays watched, he was credited with 30, but the broadcast was so bad that I think I missed 2.

Play 1. Run play with nice backside pursuit down the line and an assisted tackle with Washington. [+]

2. Pass, beats the TE inside and is not knocked off his pressure. He was very close to a sack on the play. [+]

3. Pass, bull rush with no speed set up and not enough pop to move an OT who's feet are set. [-]

4. Pass, gets the edge with his burst, uses his arms to gain separation, but is ridden by the pocket late [/]

5. Pass, quick 3 step drop, but no move or hands from Floyd. [-]

6. Pass, uses a nice inside hand swipe and has surprising power, but the ball is out quickly. Really nice rush from Floyd that needed better coverage to be rewarded. [+]

7. Coverage, could not see on the copy I was watching.

8. Pass, again tries to go directly to power and is stuffed. [-]

9. Run, good hand punch and separation, he makes the tackle, but if he had been more physical it would not have been a 6 yard gain. [/]

10. Run, gets to tied up with the TE. He does not lose ground, but he is not in a position to separate and make a play. [-]

11. Pass, really nice inside spin, but he runs into Bullard and loses his momemtum. The really nice part of this rep was that he did not get knocked off his rush by hitting Bullard and continued to pursue the QB. [+]

12. Pass, another nice use of arm separation and hands to get inside of the OT. [+]

13. Run, nice edge set against a TE. [+]

14. Pass, outside speed to the inside spin move forces Siemien from the pocket, but there is no one there to pick up the scramble. [+]

15. Pass, inside move was pretty egregiously held by the RT. Would have been an easy sack with how quick the OT was beaten off the snap. [+]
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16. Pass, stoned. [-]

17. Pass, good bull rush after getting upfield, but loses footing. Gets up and pursues the QB once he is forced from the pocket. [+]

18. Pass, play action away, kept contain. [/]

19. Run, comes down the line on a zone read and makes the tackle for the loss. [+]

20. Pass, wide rush and needs better hands to get the edge. [-]

21. Run, play goes away. [/]

22. Run, attempted cut that he jumps over and pursues to the ball. [+]

23. Pass, lost in zone coverage and gives up the pass inside of him. [-]

24. Pass, great inside hand and surprising power to knock the OT into the backfield. [+]

25. Run, lazy flow. [-]

26. Pass, good stutter shake and draws a holding call when the OT gets off balance. [+]

27. Pass, bull rush without a lot of gas. [-]

28. Pass, joker lined up at ILB and does not do a lot. Looks gassed. [-].

Thoughts

-I came away impressed with a couple of aspects of Floyd's game. His play in the run game was what impressed me because everyone cannot stop talking about his weight. He uses his hands well, has surprising pop, and he does an excellent job of
pursuing the ball.

-In the passing game when he goes fast it is really difficult for OTs because they have to kick out so hard to get to him. That gets the OT high in his set and allows for the bull rush and the inside move. He did it on a number of plays where the OT was out of his technique immediately.

-Floyd cannot go straight to power, he needs to force the hard kick slide before going to power.

-Floyd needs to continue to work his hands and disengaging to the outside. A couple of times he was ridden around the pocket and had the edge, but could not keep from getting ridden by. Floyd needs to use the hand swipe he uses on the inside on the outside to freeze the OT and allow him around the edge.

-Floyd has natural pass rush ability because he can maintain speed while doing moves and redirecting.
Nads786

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very encouraging sign so far. I really hope he can bring it together for the start of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he looked good. He's gonna be a tough guy for RTs to stay with.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his time at ILB at Georgia might have actually been a blessing for us. He had to learn to break down and being in the middle made him really focus on not giving ground. It helped him come into the league a more well rounded player, so he might not just be a situational pass rusher like I was expecting for a few years.

I'm hoping he can continue to develop, he clearly has talent.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
Blaize4488

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggs, who is known for being unbiased(probably a little harsh at times) had good things to say about Floyd in a recent article and even got some feedback from an AFC scout saying Floyd was a nice talent.
G08

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaize4488 wrote:
Biggs, who is known for being unbiased(probably a little harsh at times) had good things to say about Floyd in a recent article and even got some feedback from an AFC scout saying Floyd was a nice talent.

Yeah, Biggs doesn't blow smoke up anyone's a$$ so for him to write a glowing piece about Floyd really says something.

The kid looked good, him and Cornelius Washington really impressed me.

When the defense allows 20 pts or less, the Cutler-led Chicago Bears are 35-7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: