Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

StarCraft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Madden 15 and video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandwhich

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
Micro is still well alive if you play aggressive and don't just sit and build just like your opponent.

Eh, obviously it still plays a role but compared to BW it is not even close. You look at some of the top T players and some of them don't even have APM's above 110.

But things like controlling 12 units at once makes everything unnecessarily difficult. It'd take even more skill to control ONE unit at once. I mean, sure it takes more skill to hope across a river on tiny rocks, but why when I can use a bridge?

Because from an audience stand point it is more fun to watch you try and hop across the river. Starcraft and Brood War are/were spectator sports in Korea. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy watching the pros play either. Call me a nerd if you want, but there is a ton of skill and strategy that goes into the game and I can certainly appreciate that. SC2 is the dumbed down game of Brood War. Sure it is nice for us players to be able to control massive amounts of units at once, but it takes a lot more skill to command several armies of 12. I agree with HH it would be better if they capped it at 20 or so units.

But you understand what I mean when I say it is "unnecessarily difficult"? You can make anything more difficult and it will require people to use more skill. SC2 still requires an asinine amount of skill and focus, and the micro is always there, you just choose how much you do by style of play. Later in the game it's just a massive war, which in it's own way can be fun, but it doesn't require as much skill and mostly both players try to tank each other. But even then, depending on the composition of units, there's still plenty of micro involved.

I understand, but I wouldn't necessarily call it unnecessary, I think commanding an army of 40 at a time is more plausible than commanding an army of 200 (in SC supply obviously). Eh, I think that is where the major difference comes in. These big battles now are just ball v. ball for the most part where as you would see some insane micro from BW. You still see it occasionally from some of the P players especially since they have the more conducive micro units (sentrys, stalkers, etc.) but on the whole you see a lot more just mass click A.

BTW do you play Moss? And if so what is your B.net ID?

But people that just fully attack move almost always pay a price against a good player, who positions and arranges his army correctly. In the first 12 minutes of a competitive game there's a lot of small army micro, and as economies boost and bigger armies are made it becomes less of that (as it should, really). I've lost a game because in a battle of like 75 vs 75 ish units the guy successfully lured away my colossi in an impressive way. I've seen people screw up dearly but not front-lining their melee units, or in the case of they didn't use their zerglings properly and surround the army.

It's less game-engine fighting and more pvp tactics. The better BW players knew how to play the game's engine better, and I don't think that was a difficulty that Blizzard purposefully included.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
I don't think that was a difficulty that Blizzard purposefully included.

Sadly this is why I will forever love BW, I do believe it was a happy accident lol.

The thing is, this game engine fighting was just another part of micro. With that mostly gone, you remove a big part of "skill". IMO. With SC2, you mostly have to worry about Army Control (Strategy wise). So you have time to dedicate more to that and you will progress much faster. But in BW, when you have to not only learn the proper way to attack, you also need to gain the ability to be fast enough to do it. So since you have two things to work on, its a bit harder. And the question is where does it stop? I do personally believe BW was a bit too taxing, but I believe its closer ot the balance then SC2.
BLick12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighHopes wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
I don't think that was a difficulty that Blizzard purposefully included.

Sadly this is why I will forever love BW, I do believe it was a happy accident lol.

The thing is, this game engine fighting was just another part of micro. With that mostly gone, you remove a big part of "skill". IMO. With SC2, you mostly have to worry about Army Control (Strategy wise). So you have time to dedicate more to that and you will progress much faster. But in BW, when you have to not only learn the proper way to attack, you also need to gain the ability to be fast enough to do it. So since you have two things to work on, its a bit harder. And the question is where does it stop? I do personally believe BW was a bit too taxing, but I believe its closer ot the balance then SC2.

I miss the simple things in BW, like the split at the beginning of the games. Pretty much obsolete now in SC2. Laughing

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
sandwhich

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blizzard is so terrible at maintenance. Was supposed to be originally done by 11am, then extended to 2, and it still isn't done.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real ID marioarutyunian@gmail.com if anybody plays competitively still... diamond and higher please Razz
BLick12

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMaGiNe wrote:
Real ID marioarutyunian@gmail.com if anybody plays competitively still... diamond and higher please Razz

Are you in Masters?

I haven't played in a while but I'll try to get on for a game.

Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
iMaGiNe wrote:

Are you in Masters?

Blicks a scrub, I could beat him with one hand behind my back..

Liar

Been playing some custom games lately. Its fun cause you can jump in and be done with a game in ~15 minutes.
BLick12

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
iMaGiNe wrote:

Are you in Masters?

Blicks a scrub, I could beat him with one hand behind my back..

Liar

Been playing some custom games lately. Its fun cause I'm not getting pounded by Blick anymore.

FIFY.

iMaGiNe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
iMaGiNe wrote:

Are you in Masters?

I haven't played in a year because I was deployed to Afghanistan and leagues are frozen right now so I'm diamond but I am positive me and my other 2s partner will be masters in the upcoming season.
BLick12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMaGiNe wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
iMaGiNe wrote:

Are you in Masters?

I haven't played in a year because I was deployed to Afghanistan and leagues are frozen right now so I'm diamond but I am positive me and my other 2s partner will be masters in the upcoming season.

2s. Laughing

Me and my buddy were consistently top 5 in our division for Masters 2s. There are just so many cheesy strats in 2s. Half the time we were fending off cannon rushes and what not... and this was masters.

Maybe we can play some 2s in the future, my buddy pretty much only plays the DOTA2 Beta now so I don't have anyone to really play with. What race do you play?

DolphWins

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMaGiNe wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
iMaGiNe wrote:

Are you in Masters?

Its easy to get Masters. I just double banshee rushed my way to top 50 masters before i got bored and quit.

Adopt a Dolphwin - Lamar Miller
157 Rush - 628 Yards - 4.0 Avg - 2 TD [] 25 Rec - 166 Yards
iMaGiNe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
iMaGiNe wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
iMaGiNe wrote:

Are you in Masters?

2s. Laughing

Me and my buddy were consistently top 5 in our division for Masters 2s. There are just so many cheesy strats in 2s. Half the time we were fending off cannon rushes and what not... and this was masters.

Maybe we can play some 2s in the future, my buddy pretty much only plays the DOTA2 Beta now so I don't have anyone to really play with. What race do you play?

Terran
The Third Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they announced some changes for Heart of the Swarm. Apparently the shredder and replicant are out of the game. The warhound is also being debated about being kept. The Overseer is back and the Viper will no longer have the ability to add detection and it can recharge energy by attaching itself to a mineral line. The Tempest is now a long range seige unit that can attack air and ground (kind of lame to make it similar to broodlords but whatever). They are thinking of different ideas for the units that got cut.

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you won't be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a few pages, but found this thread. Does this cover Starcraft too?

My username is Ruskie, not sure if you'll be able to find me or not...

I'm not a very good player, but I'd like to play with some of you folks on here, as well as learn how to play better.

Mostly a Terran player, though I do mix in Zerg sometimes (haven't touched Protoss yet).

I could use some pointers and tips. I'm very good at build order early, I just seem to struggle at countering people at times.

I think of all the games I've played, I win about a third.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roommate and I went something like 9-2 in 2v2 last night. Just dominated everyone.

I'm a nasty rusher, and after they finally slow me down harrassing... he shows up with his army and wipes them out Laughing

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Madden 15 and video games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 38 of 39

Jump to: