Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Sig courtesy of mack.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Quote:
  • Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

He is pretty new to us as well. Pete Carrol his a defensive guy that likes to run a hybrid 4-3/3-4 similar to the Cardinals in which one of the OLBs plays the elephant position, in this case that is Aaron Curry where many people believe he will excel. He is fantastic at maximizing players abilities and puts them on a spot of the field where they can excel. He is still new to the job so I am not sure how he will be in game.

Quote:
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

• Jim Bates. Once again a new guy. Theres a theme here really. He runs a pretty basic offense, nothing tricky or anything. Not as strict as guys like Zorn, but runs the WCO.

Quote:
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

• ZBS in the run. Forsett is a small shifty runner (reminds me of Warrick Dunn) but we just dont have the lineman to be successful quite yet. Alex Gibbs is our new OLine coach however so we should get better fast. I would still consider us more of a passing team. Hasselbeck needs to be allowed to call audibles at the line which Gregg Knapp took away from him last season which led to many mistakes by that unit. One thing many people may not know is that this team is fantastic when they are all on the same page (which Knapp did not allow them to do), we've never been a flashy unit, but they work mainly off of tempo.

Quote:
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

• Gus Bradley. I dont really like him. Former assistant DC at Tampa Bay and runs the same Tampa 2. We dont really have the front 4 to run that and the zone gets eaten up with our lack of pressure. Personally I do not like him, but he is the only guy that Pete Carrol kept from last years staff so he must know something.

Quote:
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

• Like I said, hybrid 4-3/3-4 like the Cards. Elephant is Curry. Tampa 2 in coverage. I would say what is unique is that we have 4 superior LBs, so even when Curry goes to DE, Hawthorne comes in and he is a stud. Lofa is the QB of the defense and we were hurting without him last year. He makes all the line calls and is terrific and noticing plays. Very smart player. Most people may not know that we have some of the tiniest CBs in the entire league, which makes no sense when we go against guys like Fitz and Boldin. Another thing people may not know is that Deon Grant is currently playing SS, but he is a natural FS and plays much better there. I think with a new SS Grant could be put back into place.

Quote:

• Our GM is also new. Schneider is a young kid that learned under TT and the Packers. I would ASSUME that he goes off of a BPA type of thing due to that, but we really have no clue. Before him, Ruskell drafted PURELY on how good a guys character was.

Quote:

• Fairly active with Ruskell. He seemed to target guys he wanted (Unger/Butler) and get them regardless of what it took. Like I said, we have no idea with the new staff, but I always believe that a young, inexperienced guy may want to get busy on his first day.

Quote:
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

• Curry and Unger definitely at LB and OC respectively. Josh Wilson isnt a household name but makes big plays at CB. Forsett at RB could be a star if given the chance. A lot of people around here like QB Mike Teel from Rutgers and would like to give him a chance. I think that is a little premature, but he has looked good. He could be a potential guy of the future. Forsett is a future starter. LT Charlie Frye is a potential starter that is a small name but played big when given a chance last year. To name a few, Jonathan Babineaux should not be starting at FS. He reads the run terribly and is not athletic enough to make up for passing plays that he misreads. Grant is out of position due to him as well. I would say Chris Spencer at OC but he already got replaced. Locklear should be moved back to RT, he was terrible on the left. RB Julius Jones should not only be benched, but cut. He is just not the kind of guy we need in the ZBS.

Quote:
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

• We rarely trade. Usually most of our moves are middle of the pack FAs that fill up needs. Every once in a while we get "big" name FAs (Housh/JJones)

Quote:

• Our former GM ran Holmgren out of town. He also let Hutchinson go to the Vikings. He was terrible at drafting in the 1st round which hurts the team in multiple facets. The injury bug has decided that Seattle is a nice place to live as well. We have had inconsistency in coaching the last few years.

Quote:

• Many people will say QB, but those are the wrong people to listen to. Matt will be good once given his normal duties back. That is a later in the future type of need. A power RB that could handle the ZBS is needed to compliment Forsett. A big play threat is a need at WR to accompany the possession guys we currently have. A LT is a huge need, but I hate settling for some guy (example: Bulaga at #6). OG is considered a need as well. Another DT to pair with Mebane is a need. A pass rushing DE is a huge need for us as well. A S to help Grant is a big need. And finally a big CB to help out Trufant with bigger guys is a need.

Quote:

• Biggest strengths. I would say so far its the revamp of the coaching staff really. A lot of people are excited about the new people brought in. This question is hard to answer because I'm not really sure what you want to hear....

Quote:

• No one expects a Championship here. Honestly, we would need a consistent pass rush, Hasselbeck would have to be a Probowler once again, we would have to avoid injury, we would have to find a power back. Honestly I think we could be good with that.

imani

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
    Quote:

He is pretty new to us as well. Pete Carrol his a defensive guy that likes to run a hybrid 4-3/3-4 similar to the Cardinals in which one of the OLBs plays the elephant position, in this case that is Aaron Curry where many people believe he will excel. He is fantastic at maximizing players abilities and puts them on a spot of the field where they can excel. He is still new to the job so I am not sure how he will be in game.

Quote:

• Jim Bates. Once again a new guy. Theres a theme here really. He runs a pretty basic offense, nothing tricky or anything. Not as strict as guys like Zorn, but runs the WCO.

Quote:

• ZBS in the run. Forsett is a small shifty runner (reminds me of Warrick Dunn) but we just dont have the lineman to be successful quite yet. Alex Gibbs is our new OLine coach however so we should get better fast. I would still consider us more of a passing team. Hasselbeck needs to be allowed to call audibles at the line which Gregg Knapp took away from him last season which led to many mistakes by that unit. One thing many people may not know is that this team is fantastic when they are all on the same page (which Knapp did not allow them to do), we've never been a flashy unit, but they work mainly off of tempo.

Quote:

• Gus Bradley. I dont really like him. Former assistant DC at Tampa Bay and runs the same Tampa 2. We dont really have the front 4 to run that and the zone gets eaten up with our lack of pressure. Personally I do not like him, but he is the only guy that Pete Carrol kept from last years staff so he must know something.

Quote:

• Like I said, hybrid 4-3/3-4 like the Cards. Elephant is Curry. Tampa 2 in coverage. I would say what is unique is that we have 4 superior LBs, so even when Curry goes to DE, Hawthorne comes in and he is a stud. Lofa is the QB of the defense and we were hurting without him last year. He makes all the line calls and is terrific and noticing plays. Very smart player. Most people may not know that we have some of the tiniest CBs in the entire league, which makes no sense when we go against guys like Fitz and Boldin. Another thing people may not know is that Deon Grant is currently playing SS, but he is a natural FS and plays much better there. I think with a new SS Grant could be put back into place.

Quote:

• Our GM is also new. Schneider is a young kid that learned under TT and the Packers. I would ASSUME that he goes off of a BPA type of thing due to that, but we really have no clue. Before him, Ruskell drafted PURELY on how good a guys character was.

Quote:

• Fairly active with Ruskell. He seemed to target guys he wanted (Unger/Butler) and get them regardless of what it took. Like I said, we have no idea with the new staff, but I always believe that a young, inexperienced guy may want to get busy on his first day.

Quote:

• Curry and Unger definitely at LB and OC respectively. Josh Wilson isnt a household name but makes big plays at CB. Forsett at RB could be a star if given the chance. A lot of people around here like QB Mike Teel from Rutgers and would like to give him a chance. I think that is a little premature, but he has looked good. He could be a potential guy of the future. Forsett is a future starter. LT Charlie Frye is a potential starter that is a small name but played big when given a chance last year. To name a few, Jonathan Babineaux should not be starting at FS. He reads the run terribly and is not athletic enough to make up for passing plays that he misreads. Grant is out of position due to him as well. I would say Chris Spencer at OC but he already got replaced. Locklear should be moved back to RT, he was terrible on the left. RB Julius Jones should not only be benched, but cut. He is just not the kind of guy we need in the ZBS.

Quote:

• We rarely trade. Usually most of our moves are middle of the pack FAs that fill up needs. Every once in a while we get "big" name FAs (Housh/JJones)

Quote:

• Our former GM ran Holmgren out of town. He also let Hutchinson go to the Vikings. He was terrible at drafting in the 1st round which hurts the team in multiple facets. The injury bug has decided that Seattle is a nice place to live as well. We have had inconsistency in coaching the last few years.

Quote:

• Many people will say QB, but those are the wrong people to listen to. Matt will be good once given his normal duties back. That is a later in the future type of need. A power RB that could handle the ZBS is needed to compliment Forsett. A big play threat is a need at WR to accompany the possession guys we currently have. A LT is a huge need, but I hate settling for some guy (example: Bulaga at #6). OG is considered a need as well. Another DT to pair with Mebane is a need. A pass rushing DE is a huge need for us as well. A S to help Grant is a big need. And finally a big CB to help out Trufant with bigger guys is a need.

Quote:

• Biggest strengths. I would say so far its the revamp of the coaching staff really. A lot of people are excited about the new people brought in. This question is hard to answer because I'm not really sure what you want to hear....

Quote:

• No one expects a Championship here. Honestly, we would need a consistent pass rush, Hasselbeck would have to be a Probowler once again, we would have to avoid injury, we would have to find a power back. Honestly I think we could be good with that.

.....this lol. All of it

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
    MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SS - Anyone else wanna weigh in?

Sig courtesy of mack.
    nishray

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonics pretty much got it all. Few things: the "elephant" position has not been filled yet. It could be Curry, it could be Tapp, hell, it could end up being Hill. As for our OL scheme, we run a ZBS. Our offensive line was absolutely abused last year by A and B gap blitzes as well as just normal stunts. However, it was not nearly as bad as it seemed. We got better as the year went on, and if we can move Locklear to RT (where he has had success), secure a LT, and find playmakers so defenses won't blitz so often, we should look a lot better.

Our offense is really a WCO, but lacks the required deep threat and YAC. We have 3 really good #2-3s, but no true #1. Nothing more to say, really.

As for our defense, I slightly disagree with what Sonics said. Bradley is our DC, and he did run the Tampa 2 last year. However, Mora called the defensive plays. Furthermore, Mora was flat out horrible when it came to using the talent he had. He played Cory Redding, a DT we acquired from the Lions, at DE, and moved Mebane from NT, where he put up numbers that were Pro-Bowl worthy, to UT. He also brought in Colin Cole, who couldn't get pressure if he was playing on a high school football team. He then proceeded to play Lawrence Jackson, a prototype LDE in the Tampa 2, at RDE, where he failed miserably. Its really no surprise our defense failed so badly when you consider how poorly our D-line talent was used and how relian the Tampa 2 is on D-line play.

As for FAs, we got a big time player almost every offseason. Mike Wahle, and TJ houshmanzadah were the guys from the last two offseasons. Schneider is from GB and they really built around the draft, so I don't know how our philosophy will change.

I also had some issues with Sonics roster evaluations. We have a fair amount of young talent on this team:
    Offense: Brandon Frye, Carlson, Butler, Sims, Unger, Forsett. All of these are guys that have a future here.
    Defense: Hawthorne, Hill, Wilson, Tapp, Jackson, Mebane, Curry, Tatupu *, Trufant *. Hawthorne might have to find a home elsewhere, Tatupu has the MLB position locked down. Besides that, we have a lot of building blocks on the defensive side of the ball. Jordan Babineux grew a lot as a player as the year went on. Everybody here knows him for failing to tackle Frank Gore twice in a SF game, resulting in two long TD runs. However, there are very few FSs in the game that can tackle Frank Gore when he gets past the ten other players untouched. He is a ballhawk and is a decent athlete. If he grows more this offseason, he could be an integral part of our defense. Sonic is right when he said that Grant is out of position because of him. We have two FS and need a true SS to really succeed. I pretty much agree with everything else Sonic said, and also Spencer could start for us at RG this next season if the coaching staff thinks he can play in our ZBS.

Trading has been rare, but it does happen. We traded Peterson for Redding and a fifth. We traded a first for Branch ( Brick wall ).

Sonics pretty much has the weaknesses down. As for largest holes, Hawks fans are really divided. As you probably found out, Sonics is in the camp that believes that Matt is still a Pro-Bowl QB who just needs more talent around him. There is another camp of people who believe its time to get our future LT and QB. As for other holes, we have a huge hole at DT, unless Redding can man the 3-tech (I believe he can). We have a big need at SS. On the offensive side of the ball, we need a true #1 receiver, a franchise LT, and possibly a QB (once again, depending on your views and values).

Our strengths have really been in our defense. I have little hope for our offense next year. Even if we draft for immediate success (something like 6. Dez Bryant 14. CJ Spiller 40. Charles Brown), we won't sniff the big dance this year. However, theres a lot of hope around here for the future of our defense with Carroll at the helm.

Thats pretty much it. I know my thoughts are a little disorganized, sorry if it ends up being hard to read.
    aripley32

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been summed up very well, but I would like to add every year we target a big name and usually land one or two (Julian Peterson, Julius Jones, T.J., Mike Wahle, Nate Burleson, Jamie Sharper, Deon Grant, Patrick Kearney etc.). Paul Allen has money and loves to spend it. Since he was diagnosed with cancer it has been widely said that he wants to win NOW! Pete Carroll said the same. I think we will make big waves in Free Agency (as we always do) and draft BPA that can make immediate impact (Dez Bryant, Russell Okung, Eric Berry, CJ Spiller) rather then a QB of the future. Especially since Pete said Matt was a big reason he came to Seattle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: