Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

[*]Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
Sing is a motivator first and foremost. He wants a physical brand of football... run the ball on offense and stop the run on defense. Big, strong players are what he likes. Most people might not know that he is interested in guys with possible character issues... Sing believes he can keep them in line and get the most out of them.
Quote:
[*]Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
Jimmy Raye is Coryell guy. He uses his TE and FB's a lot if he has good ones and will feature a strong running game if possible. He likes a drop back passer but was able to successfully implement a shotgun spread last year when our personel forced him to. Most people don't know that Raye is nearly 100 years old making him the oldest OC in league history.
Quote:
[*]What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
Coryell offense with a mix of zbs and man blocking with mostly man blocking. We went to a 2 te shotgun spread very often during the 2nd half of last year because our qb is incompetent under center but I expect them to work on him gaining confidence under center during this offseason.
Quote:
[*]Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
Manusky is a Phillips 3-4 guy. He's a pretty conservative playcaller which has worked out well as we're far better in the points rankings than the yardage totals.
Quote:
[*]What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
3-4 up front with a lot of one gap d a la the Phillips system. A mixed bag as far as coverages... lot of cover one, cover two, and man. Not much press as I'm sure you'll hear a lot of.
Quote:
[*]When drafting, how important is character?
As far as I'm concerned our team might target players with character issues due to Sing's belief that he can keep them in line.
Quote:
[*]During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
We traded our 2nd rounder to Carolina... McC is a trader.
Quote:
[*]Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
Up and comers... Goldson and Rachal come to mind.

Future starters... Balmer hopefully.

Starting and shouldn't be... A.Smith, Snyder, and Ice.

Tradeable... Mark Roman for a bag of chips. On second thought keep the chips.

Lifers... Willis, Gore, J.Smith, Staley
Quote:
[*]During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
We almost traded for Briggs inseason a few years back.... the only player I could see us trading for this offseason would be McNabb.
Quote:
[*]What has been the downfall of your team recently?
OL, secondary, and QB play.
Quote:
[*]Where are your largest holes this offseason?
RT.
Quote:
[*]What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
Two first rounders.
Quote:
[*]What will it take for you to win a championship?
A better qb.
9ersattelite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roasty gave a pretty good analysis. Two things I would like to add:

Quote:
[*]Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Sing was close to being drafted as a 49er by Bill Walsh. He's been a pupil of Bill behind the scenes early in his coaching career. If you can find it, there is a good video clip of Sing explaining an offensive scheme. He has amazing understanding of how an offense works and a concise delivery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xizd9xF47u0

Sing is still learning as a coach, but is developing into a good game manager. Something we didn't have in the Mike Nolan era. Mike and McC drafted some good players, but Nolan passed on some good players to help the 2005 draft pick, Alex Smith develop fully. Basically crucified the guy. One of those players was Robert Meachem, just to name one. He was terrible at game management. In nolan's era we couldn't get off the field on 3rd down and lack of weapons and protection kept the D on the field too long.

Which would be the downfall along w/ an inconsistent scheme. [5 co ordinators in 5years]

Largest holes would be RT, back up NT because we run the 34, better play in the return game special teams, and one more star in the secondary.

With an O Line and the weapons we have you should see a balanced offense blending the power run game, two TE sets, and the spread in 2010. Basically like a boxer. jab, jab, strait punch, upper cut, and power cross. Not necessarily in that order.

The attitude and identity as been established with Sing giving the team more physicality and playing with the eye of the tiger.

"If you even dream of beating me, you better wake up and apologize." -- Cassius Clay
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome stuff guys - love Sing as a HC - keep it coming

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys did a good job on providing you information. I will add that we do a lot of pulling with our guards (mainly LG Baas). It really didn't work most of the seasons because Baas was too slow and jammed up the hole instead of opening one. However during the end of the season he started to get better and started getting to the second level and opened some big holes for Gore.

Biggest Needs:
RT
FS/SS (Depends on who we get and if we want to move Goldson or not)
Return Man (mainly punts)
OG (Baas only has one year left I believe and hasn't lived up the his 33 overall pick)
NT (depending on if we sign Franklin long term, probably could use a backup)
WR (We have a lot of young talent but Morgan, Hill and Jones have to produce alongside Crabtree)

Strengths this Offseason:
13, 16/17 and 49 should fill in some of our needs if not all
Not too many free agents to worry about (at least nobody of major importance)

I will add Ahmad Brooks to the up and comers (6 Sacks, 5 FF in limited play (mainly 3rd downs).

Shouldn't be starting:
Michael Lewis is in his last days, Mark Roman shouldn't see the field, Adam Snyder

The rest these guys covered.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Quote:
[*]Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
Up and comers... Goldson and Rachal come to mind. Add to this, I'd say Alex Smith.

Starting and shouldn't be... RT Snyder, and Mike Lewis (at least on passing downs)

Tradeable... Mark Roman for a bag of chips. On second thought keep the chips. <------- LOL, awesome...

Lifers... Willis, Gore, J.Smith, Staley

Quote:
[*]During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
Also tried to snatch Kurt Warner last offseason, but the whole thing was a contract ploy from Kurt to get more money. We really would have snatched him if for no other reason than to get him out of AZ.

Quote:
[*]What has been the downfall of your team recently?
OL, defensive scheme depending on each week, and inadequate coaching due to an erratic offensive scheme implementation.

Quote:
[*]Where are your largest holes this offseason?
RT.

Quote:
[*]What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
Two first rounders, and finally some consistency in coaching and player chemistry.

Quote:
[*]What will it take for you to win a championship?
a continued improvement in defensive + offensive scheme... gotta get more from our OL.[/quote]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: