Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Apollo's 2010 Mock Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apollo14000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Apollo's 2010 Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Resign Whiz
Restructure and extend Rolle
Restructure Dockett's deal so he gets more money this year (that might make him happy)
Sign Joey Porter (3 years, 15-18 million)
Sign Charlie Batch

Let Dansby walk
Don't bring back Gandy or Chike
Trade Boldin for a 2nd round pick (Dolphins, Bucs, Pats, Ravens, whoever)

Players with questionable status to bring back:
Becht- We really do need him since Spach has injury problems and Byrd is an unknown
Urban- If we lose Boldin then I want a WR who knows the system. because Doucet has injury problems. After a bad year he should come very cheaply. We could easily cut him if we find a better player by the start of the season.
Bryan Robinson- one more year to tutor the NT we'll get in the draft

Assume the other players like Breaston and Patrick are back.

2010 mock draft:

1. Sean Weatherspoon/ILB/Missouri- I agree with many of you and think he could replace Dansby. If we get the effective NT Dansby didn't have up front than Weatherspoon might even produce more than Dansby. I could easily see us picking Spikes too and I would love that as well.
2. Terrence Cody/NT/BAMA- I think our coaching staff would honestly take a chance on this guy. We have one of the best coaching staffs in the league and I believe he could get his weight problems under control here (especially when he has to climb the mountain in TC in 100 degree weather Laughing ). He did fairly well at the senior bowl beating double teams at 370 so if he gets down to 340-350 then he will be a helluva lot better player. He is more of a gamble than the other picks but every team takes those sometimes. He should be here in the early to mid 2nd round.
2. Devin McCourty/CB/Rutgers- One of the names not heard as often but McCourty has the size,speed, and skills to be a good #2 CB. I could easily go Patrick Robinson or Brandon Ghee but it's hard to say who will be available this late.
3. Jared Veldheer/OT/Valdosta St.- This might be wishful thinking since Veldheer is expected to rise into the 2nd round after the combine but as of now he's a 3rd round prospect. He's got the size Grimm and Whiz love (6'9" 320). The comparisons to Sebastian Vollmer are spot on.
4. Jarrett Brown/QB/West Virgina- Perfect spot to draft a QB. Not too early to upset Leinart's confidence and not too late to find a good prospect. Brown has the size, arm, and athleticism to be a very good QB. He's also got better than expected accuracy and throws a nice ball. He's a project since he's inexperienced but has a lot of potential.
5. Michael Hoomanawanui/TE/Illinois- Becht's future replacement. "Uh-Oh" is one of the best blockers in the class and has the size to hold up against anybody. He's also had decent production as a receiver in a bad offense in which even Benn's production took a big hit this year. He reminds me of Brandon Manumaleuna because of the hard to pronounce name and blocking ability. He's has the potential to be a good receiver though. Whiz gets his Big 10 guy.
6. John Connor/FB/Kentucky- Kreider may only have one more season left in him and Whiz is going to want to keep his improving running game going. "The Terminator" is a powerful run blocker in the mold of the traditional Kreiders and Neals. He is more of a receiving and running threat than Kreider too.
7.Emmanual Sanders/WR/SMU- Has the skill set to be a good slot receiver so could challenge Urban for the #4 spot. Good hands and route running. Very productive. Reminds me of Jarrett Dilliard.

further explanations:
I did not draft an OLB because if we sign Porter I simply don't think we'll need one. Haggans and Porter are two solid veterens who will be the starters. Brown and Davis both provide depth and potential. I also don't think we're going to find "sure-fire" better players in rounds 3-7 that have better potential than Brown and Davis.
SLO.CardsFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mock,apollo. One thing only,you want Chike Okeafor to go,if i understood correctly?If not,then i apologize.
Great mock anyway,but i think,Weatherspoon and some others will be gone till 26th pick,and that's really bad.
I will post my mock too ,soon.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll comment after I get an answer here. What do we do with Neil Rackers?
apollo14000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
I'll comment after I get an answer here. What do we do with Neil Rackers?

Keep him. I read your post in the other thread and I agree that we don't really have a better option. The kickers in this draft are not too great this year but I'm sure we can bring in 1 or 2 undrafted ones and see if we might find ourselves a gem.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLO.CardsFan wrote:
Nice mock,apollo. One thing only,you want Chike Okeafor to go,if i understood correctly?If not,then i apologize.
Great mock anyway,but i think,Weatherspoon and some others will be gone till 26th pick,and that's really bad.
I will post my mock too ,soon.

Correct Chike must go. He's just never been a good fit as an OLB. Weatherspoon might be gone true. Spikes might be able to fall to us thanks to his eyes gouging incident lol. You never know who's going where but we usually have good luck with a player falling into our laps, ala Beanie Wells.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I like it lot. Solid B+ from me.

I don't like Charlie Batch. Yes, I want Matt to be the guy but he's not the guy, we need a capable backup. What happens if Matt breaks his collar bone again(Knock on wood), are we really gonna turn this offense over to Charlie Batch? Brown would still be too raw to let play in that situation. A more experienced player would be my hope here.

Veldheer's gonna go early. Don't see him being around late third round. Vollmer's solid player is making him rise even more IMO.

Those are my only two reservations.
Cardinalsfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the draft. Especially Hoomanawanu and Connor late.

Props to #Uno# on the sig

Cincinnati Cyclones 2009-2010 ECHL Champions

Supersuavesky wrote:
I agree with the Tebow comments. He's never been a great college player
apollo14000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
In that case, I like it lot. Solid B+ from me.

I don't like Charlie Batch. Yes, I want Matt to be the guy but he's not the guy, we need a capable backup. What happens if Matt breaks his collar bone again(Knock on wood), are we really gonna turn this offense over to Charlie Batch? Brown would still be too raw to let play in that situation. A more experienced player would be my hope here.

Veldheer's gonna go early. Don't see him being around late third round. Vollmer's solid player is making him rise even more IMO.

Those are my only two reservations.

I'm glad you like it.

The reason why I think Charlie Batch is the perfect QB is because he knows he's the back up and veteren mentor and nothing more. So Leinart is not going to feel the constant pressure of having his job at risk and Batch is not going to be upset not starting.

At least that's make take on it. I feel no matter what that Leinart should get a whole year to prove himself. I don't want all of us to say put the back up in when he has one bad game. Even Kurt had bad games last year and I remember some of us wanted Leinart in (I can't believe that's true lol). I don't want Leinart having that in the back of his head. And I want the whole team to know that this is Leinart's team, and not have questions leading up to the season. It's better if Leinart goes in with full confidence and having every possible rep with the 1st team offense.

Batch is experienced enough to come in and play. We might have to focus on running the ball more but there's nothing wrong with that.

Jarrett Brown is a project but not to the full extant. Unlike most project QBs, he actually has decent footwork and a good release. So he could be a good QB even a year from now although likely two. Besides, if Leinart fails next year we're gonna be taking a QB round 1 anyway no matter who we draft in the later rounds. Jarrett Brown will be competing with that guy not Leinart. Something about that sounds a little off but I'll roll with it lol.

Which OTs would you suggest taking in round 3 since Veldheer is probably gone?
stchamp98

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand exactly what you're saying. I don't exactly agree with just making Matt the unquestioned starter but I do understand the thinking. My thinking is more, what happens if Matt goes down? I am not, in any way shape or form, confident in Charlie Batch to lead this team to wins in Matt's hpothetical absence(again, knock on wood). I would prefer someone with a little nicer track record.

As far the tackles go, Jason Fox is a guy who isn't going to test off the charts and was a 2nd/3rd round grade to start out with. I actually like him a lot. A guy I don't personally like is Kyle Calloway but the talent is there and he's got about the same current grade and like Fox, probably isn't gonna wow anybody next week.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what you're saying too. We won't make the playoffs if Leinart goes down and we don't have a good back up but Leinart may not preform up to his potential if he has a good back up threathening his job. Kind of a catch 22 but I'm sure there is someone good out there. Someone in the middle of Batch and say Pennington talent wise.

I actually like Jason Fox a lot too. I have him rated as a 2nd round prospect but I would love to have him in the 3rd round. Not sure if the numbers say much but he has the highest blocking grade percentage I've ever seen. Most lineman have somewhere around 88% to 90% but Fox has 96% I think. Take that for what it is.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
I get what you're saying too. We won't make the playoffs if Leinart goes down and we don't have a good back up but Leinart may not preform up to his potential if he has a good back up threathening his job. Kind of a catch 22 but I'm sure there is someone good out there. Someone in the middle of Batch and say Pennington talent wise.

I actually like Jason Fox a lot too. I have him rated as a 2nd round prospect but I would love to have him in the 3rd round. Not sure if the numbers say much but he has the highest blocking grade percentage I've ever seen. Most lineman have somewhere around 88% to 90% but Fox has 96% I think. Take that for what it is.

Fox is a good tackle in a great tackle class. Okung, Davis, Campbell, Bulaga, Williams, Brown, Ducasse, Capers and Veldheer will all likely go before him. That makes him the tenth guy and I only see 5 teams in round one who would consider a tackle(One being us, you never know), only a few in round two who would make that consideration. His lack of prime athleticsm could push him much further down the charts.
TBus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like alot of things about this draft. B+ for me.

Weatherspoon and Cody would be great additions.

Not very high on McCourty for us because I don't believe he has punt return experience (I may be wrong so please correct me), but maybe AOA assuming all is well with his recovery.

Agreed that Veldheer pry won't be there. Tackle isn't high up on the needs list for me, but a Jason Fox would be nice, if all checks out.

Love Jarret Brown and John Connor. Uh-Oh has been mentioned around here and seems to be a good fit. Don't know much about Sanders.

Edit: McCourty is apparently a terror on STs, but can't find anything saying that he can return punts. However, he is great at everything else both on D and STs so I'm very fine with that pick now.

^^^Props to Deeeej^^^

Last edited by TBus on Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
stchamp98

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If wer took "uh-oh", Connor might not have a use.
CardinalFanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely love it, Apollo. If I made a mock draft, it would look very similar to this as far as positions go. Don't know about Cody (Lamar Houston? Cam Thomas?), but all in all, very good.

A-
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Very Happy

Re-Elect Joe Fitzgibbon class act for proper representation.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: