Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Sig courtesy of mack.
CarolinaKitten

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

# Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
Conservative...low risk...varying rewards...inconsistent success as a result. It is what it is. Loves his vets, almost too much to run the team (See: Jake Delhomme).

# Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
Power run, get the ball to Steve Smith...Pretty simple yet very effective offense when they aren't throwing INTs (See: Jake Delhomme).

# What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
What? We run a "right in your face" primarily rushing offense. Nothing unique about it except for the two #1-capable RBs that nobody can seem to stop.

# Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
Basically Meeks is looking good. A defense that seems to attack more often but because Fox is the HC, we often still see that crappy soft zone. But at least they blitz now...some games more than others. Generally a pretty low-risk defense...bend-don't break.

# What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
Uhh, I think it is supposed to be a cover-2...but...yeah. Unique? Davis is a DB playing LB...gives us an extra cover guy that can match up well on TEs and even WRs sometimes. Not to mention BeasTon...some good young DEs in Brown and Johnson. Brayton isn't so bad. The scheme is kind of in a transition of getting more front-4 rush, I think.

# When drafting, how important is character?
To this team...character seems VERY important. We hardly ever have off-field issues and when they do, it is handled internally even before the league makes a move on them. Very little tolerance for bad character. Unless you punch Lucas in the face, but even then you get suspended. I kid.

# During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
Past few years...very active in trades getting us Otah and Brown at the expense of future 1st rounders.

# Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
Charles Johnson, Everette Brown, Sherrod Martin/Charles Godfrey....Matt Moore!!!! Who shouldn't be starting? Actually I like most of the team how it is. Tradeable? Peppers, but we probably wont be able to.

# During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
Zero - don't really trade for players, they sign nobody FAs and turn them into pretty okay players.

# What has been the downfall of your team recently?
(See: Jake Delhomme)
(See: John Fox's poor tendencies, the guy has some upside, but I'm tired of mediocrity)

# Where are your largest holes this offseason?
WR, DT....we could also use another QB and a CB. Definitely WR and DT.

# What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
RB? Laughing

# What will it take for you to win a championship?
Stop turning the ball over. Get more WRs to keep defenses more honest. Stop the run better.

Sig by Me
DWillyMVP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to be as unbiased as possible. Wink

Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

As a Carolina fan, you either like him or you don't which is why we had avatars from "Firefox" and "Don't Firefox" and even an Internet Explorer one drifting around here. His philosophy is out of style somewhat, but it is simple: run the ball down your throat, go deep, and play tough nosed defense. He has the tendency to get laid back after halftime, causing us to lose a lot of leads, one reason we lost a lot of games this year including the one against your 'Boys. Like I said, either you love him or you hate him. On his best day, the guy is a fantastic coach though and can draft just as good as the next guy. Can't take that away from him.

Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Not sure..John Fox's OCs have had the same problems, so nobody is sure if it is Fox or the offensive coordinators. I really don't know. I will say that with Matt Moore, our offense was far more creative and tried different things, like the bootleg. So like John Fox, on his best day, he's pretty good. However, at times, it is very predictable. Off the top of my head, the only plays we'd run at times were the run up the middle, flea flicker, toss to the outside, and then a shotgun pass to Smith. Then on third and long..SHOTGUN AND DRAW.

What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
Run the ball up the gut, playaction pass, and maul people in the blocking game. Really the only way to describe it. I think a lot of people don't realize that our fullback Brad Hoover is probably more important than our offensive lineman at times. We run the I-Formation more than any other team because of him. Great blocker and Stewart/Williams have both said he's been a great for them.

Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

Ron Meeks is amazing, and very underrated. Our defense was way too overrated last year, and while it surprised a lot of people who just listened to the media, Arizona beating us wasn't much of a surprise for me (but I was surprised by how bad they beat us). He came in, and we started rusty. He then did something we rarely see in Carolina - a change or adjustment. He adjusted his defense, and they went on to shutdown the opposing offenses: Arizona, New Orleans (at least for the first half), New England, Minnesota, and the New York Giants. I think if Peppers leaves, the dropoff won't be as bad as people will make it out to be. If there was any reason I wanted Fox to stay, it is because I don't want Meeks to leave.

What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

We started the year off as a Cover 2 team, but went to a type of Cover 3. Chris Harris is our rover man, and Charles Godfrey's job is to prevent the big play. As soon as we made the switch, Godfrey played great. We need our linebackers to be good in coverage. Two of the best coverage linebackers in the league, Jon Beason and Thomas Davis, help this defense gel. As for our pass rush, they will come from the front four most of the times but we do blitz Dante Wesley or Captain Munnerlyn out of the nickle often. Thomas Davis was our primary blitz man before he went down, and did a good job. Wouldn't say anything is unique about it; its just a simple "bend but do not break" defense and its very good at its job.

When drafting, how important is character?

Not sure about this one. I know we don't allow smoking in our arena, and Jerry Richardson isn't a big fan of signing players with attitude issues. But I don't know if it has ever affected our drafting plan, so I can't answer this one for sure.

During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

Have traded our future first round pick the past two drafts. In 2007, we traded down as well. So I would say we're pretty active.

Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Up and comers are Thomas Davis, Ryan Kalil, Charles Godfrey, Chris Gamble, Richard Marshall, Sherrod Martin, Charles Johnson, and Matt Moore. Off the top of my head, Martin is a future starter, somewhere. Great ballhawk. Then you have Keydrick Vincent..he shouldn't be starting in the NFL. Weaklink of our offensive line and looked downright poor at times. Not sure what you mean by lifer. If you mean a guy who still manages' to keep his job. Not spectacular but not bad, then Diggs and Brayton define that to a tee.

During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

We aren't active in the offseason and hardly ever are involved in trades. If you're doing this in all forums, look at the one the Pittsburgh Steelers post for management stuff. We're a very similar franchise in how we're run.

What has been the downfall of your team recently?

Bad quarterback play and inconsistent coaching. Injuries have hurt us as well, but those are the two main things.

Where are your largest holes this offseason?

WR and maybe DT.

What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

Arguably the best running game in the league, young quarterback full of potential, fantastic secondary, two young defensive ends with great upside, and leaders on both sides of the ball (Jake Delhomme, Steve Smith, Chris Harris, Jon Beason).

What will it take for you to win a championship?

Consistent play, no dumb decisions by coaches, and luck. No team wins a championship without a bit of luck.

I think, as long as we stay healthy and Matt Moore starts from Day One, we will be a 10 win team.
NC SacKing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
# Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

John Fox is one of the most conservative coaches in the NFL. He believes in a run heavy, control clock/temp offense with a bend but don't break defense. His style is vanilla, everyone knows what we're going to do he just relies on the players doing their jobs effectively. He tends to favor veterans over younger players and he is possibly more in love with Jake Delhomme than Jake's wife. Most people don't know that 75% of his answers to any question is "it is what it is".

Quote:
# Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Jeff Davidson is in the same mold of Fox. He was hired b/c he runs the exact same time of offense Fox would-run centered with a very basic passing game. He prefers big O-lineman who are maulers in run blocking, dynamic RBs who can average high amounts of YPC, great run blocking FBs, a QB who is a "game manager", and receivers who can run block very well who also have good hands and size. TEs are used more as a 6th O-lineman in our offense but something most don't know about him is that Davidson would prefer to make the TE a larger weapon in the offense which is why we have drafted 2 "dynamic" TEs in Dante Rosario and Gary Barnidge in 07 and 08. Our passing game is NOT a WCO, we do try to stretch the field with Smitty and look for a big possession receiver opposite him to move the chains. Our most common formations are the I formation and singleback with 2 TEs.

Quote:
# What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

There's nothing unique or unknown about our offensive schemes. We line up, run a play you'd expect us to, and hope our players execute properly.

Quote:
# Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
# What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Ron Meeks is formerly of Indy and follower of the Tampa-2. He shifted Carolina toward it this season even though we ran a basic cover 2 before Meeks came. Meeks relies heavily on speed in all positions and heavy pressure from the D-line. Under our old DC we had large DEs (270+) and a NT in the front 4 that emphasized stopping the run. While we still use a NT that most tampa 2's dont, Meeks influence has been seen with the acquistion of Everette Brown, and it seems we may shift to using smaller D-lineman in favor of getting more of a pass rush. Our LBs have to be very fast to help stop the run, and our MIKE has to be very good in deep pass coverage. We prefer larger CBs who are good tacklers. Meeks has encouraged them to be more aggressive and go for INTs instead of going for PBUs like we used to. Still we run a soft zone that gives up large cushions to WRs that makes us a "bend but don't break" defense. Our FS must excel at deep coverage and our SS helps out more in run support.

Quote:
# When drafting, how important is character?

Extremely. Fox/Hurney have never drafted anyone with character issues

Quote:
# During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

Very. The past 3 years we've-traded down in the first (07), acquired another 1st (0Cool and traded a future 1st to move up in the 2nd (09). Hurney/Fox like to make draft day trades to get their targets and we all know not to expect us to remain at the same spot the entire draft.

Quote:
# Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Up-n-comers: Everette Brown, Captain Munnerlyn, Sherrod Martin, Tyrell Sutton are all players who should see increased PT next year based on good performances during their rookie year last year

Future starters: Tony Fiammetta (at FB), Mackenzie Berneadeau (at RG), and hopefully Matt Moore (QB). Everette Brown/Charles Johnson could be a starter at DE depending on how Peppers/Brayton shake out.

Shouldn't be starting but are: Jake Delhomme, Muhsin Muhammad*, Keydrick Vincent* and Damione Lewis

*Will hit UFA this offseason

Tradeable: Peppers is the only one who would realistically be on the TB. The franchise would probably want a 1st rounder involved in any possible trade.

Lifer: Smitty, Gross, BEASTon are the only ones who are very likely to be Panthers their entire careers.

Quote:

# During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

Not active at all. We'll sign veteran FAs but rarely trade for them. If we do, it's mid-season that we trade for veterans.

Quote:
# What has been the downfall of your team recently?

Jake Delhomme, no real receiving threat outside of Smitty, sub-par DT play

Quote:
# Where are your largest holes this offseason?

A viable #2 WR, and young, promising DT
Quote:

# What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

Great RB depth, good O-line, depth/talent at LB and secondary.

Quote:
# What will it take for you to win a championship?

Matt Moore to play like he did in the final 5 games last year
Continued dominant running game
Another weapon or two outside of Smitty to add balance to the offense.
Defense to carry over progression from last year and added depth to D-line
Fox not sticking with dead weight when it's clear they aren't going to work
Avoid the injury bug that hit us hard this year

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant - thanks guys! Preciate it

Sig courtesy of mack.
Flowing Willow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

John Fox is old school. He believed in a strong defense anchored by the front seven with an aggressive, ball-hawking secondary. On offense, he will have an ideal one-two punch at running back, behind a strong, mauling offensive line, with the threat of the deep ball to keep the defense honest. We don't need a star at QB, but we need someone with a lot of poise to convert the occassional third and medium, hit Smith deep, and who can be relied on in the fourth quarter. Foxball is often close until the end, earning the Panthers the moniker of the "Cardiac Cats". Every year we've been truly successful under Fox, we've had the above (03, 05, 08, and 2010 Smile) Fox is definitely conservative, but sometimes he gets a bug in his butt and he does something daring. Two point conversions in the Super Bowl, end arounds in 05, and a (stupid) trick play on a punt in 2006. Although he is conservative, you can always count on him for a great interview. It is what it is. Laughing

Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

On offense, Jeff Davidson mostly fits what Fox wants to do. Run the ball, hit the vertical pass. Davidson has however introduced the tight ends to the passing attack. You'll now see an occassional big play from any of our three TE's. However, Davidson has an annoying tendency to abandon his gameplan and call stupid plays that makes it seem he's throwing a dart at his play chart. Several times this season, he's given up on an effective run game while the game remained close. And a few of the pass patterns he's called are way out there. But if his players execute, he's a decent option for us. We could do better.

What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

We are a zone-blocking team, our gameplan is to run the ball with both backs until you are sucked in, then kill you with the big play. We regularily use three TE sets, even passing from them occassionaly. It really isn't a complicated scheme, it is unique because it's a dying breed, and most people don't know how important the FB is, or the versatility our TE's have. Most people also don't know that Matt Moore is nearly the perfect QB for the scheme.

Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

Our defensive coordinator, Ron Meeks, is a large reason we had the success that we did. By that I mean he deserves the gameball for about five or so of those wins. Meeks came over from Indy, and I have to admit I wasn't so excited about it. I wanted an aggressive, blitzing defense like Philadelphia. But I have to give the man his props, he made me a believer. The first three games we ran a Cover 2, which relied on the defense to make the tackles and plays. We prided ourselves on flying to the ball, unfortunately a lot of the times we were flying in and bouncing off. We transitioned to more of a cover 1 single high safety look. Most of the time, we will rush the front four, although you will see Peppers in a zone occassionaly. Beason our MIKE is usually responsible for covering the middle of the field. The SAM usually drops into a zone or shadows a back. The WILL, Thomas Davis in our case, will either cover the TE, drop into a zone, or blitz. It's very important for our linebackers to have range, as they have to cover a lot of ground in run support and pass coverage. In the secondary, the corner will drop into zones on their respective sides. Godfrey/Martin will be over the top guarding the big play, while Chris Harris is free to roam and make plays, what he does best. Occassionaly, we'll bring in Dante Wesley to be a joker, linebacker/DB. He can blitz, or cover an extra receiver. Our nickel corner is typically allowed to man up mano y mano, not in a zone. Overall, it is a bend but don't break D, however our speed makes up for a lot of that, as does our turnover creating ability. Meeks defense's in Indy were known for creating turnovers, we're seeing that here. The defense is contingent on a pass rush from the front four, and solid tackling in the back seven. That's why we were so ineffective at times early in the year. Apologies if that was too long. Smile

What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Errr....just look above. Most people don't know how good we were to end the year. Which means that when we start dominating the league next season people will say we came out of nowhere. Rolling Eyes

When drafting, how important is character?

We are very big on character, however we have taken some risks. We had a lot of problems in the last millenium regarding character issues. Rae Carruth, Kerry Collins, and Fred Lane are a few egregious examples.

During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

Very active. Be very surprised if we sit still. In each of the past four drafts, we've moved up or down.

Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Up and comers would definitely be Ryan Kalil, Jonathan Stewart, Matt Moore, Charles Johnson, Everette Brown, Richard Marshall, and Sherrod Martin.

Future starters IMO are Charles Johnson, Duke Robinson, Everette Brown, Tank Tyler, and Dan Connor.

Robinson or Bernadeau should be starting at right guard, Charles Johnson should be getting more time instead of Brayton. Diggs should be phased out of the rotation. Moore should be in over Delhomme.

Julius Peppers is probably tradable. Some of our other depth at linebacker, tight end, defensive tackle, or runningback might get moved. Other than that, we aren't a team that likes to trade.

The lifers ATM are probably Beason, Smith, Gross, and MAYBE Moore.

During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

Not active at all. Typically we trade in camp or preseason when needs become apparent. Tyler, Leonard, and Harris are good exampls of this.

What has been the downfall of your team recently?

Jake Delhomme for the most part. But early defensive struggles, poor playcalling, and injuries played their fare share.

Where are your largest holes this offseason?

WR, DT, and special teams. Some smaller holes are depth in the secondary, linebacking corps, and defensive end.

What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

We have a rushing attack that's top three at the very least. Two top ten backs, an oppurtunistic defense, and (we believe) a competent QB.

What will it take for you to win a championship?

If we pick up where we left off last season, it shouldn't be a problem. I think the biggest thing is everyone playing up to their potential, no injuries, and a whole bunch of luck. Smile
NC SacKing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
John Fox is old school. He believed in a strong defense anchored by the front seven with an aggressive, ball-hawking secondary.

Sorry but that is not true of Fox. Fox has a very passive secondary that gives up large cushions to WRs and stresses not giving up big plays vs trying to make them. That's why we run a more passive zone coverage instead of a more aggressive man, because Fox's defense is meant to "bend but not break". Now, this year under Meeks, we focused more towards being ball-hawks, but Fox in his time in Carolina would rather see the defense stop a team on 3 downs versus getting a INT

Quote:
We are a zone-blocking team

We stopped that a year after Davidson came-he tried it and it didn't work for us. If we still ran a ZBS we never would've drafted Otah and instead gone for someone like Sam Baker or Duane Brown. Gross and Kalil could fit in ZBS, the other 3 benefit more from being in a power man blocking scheme.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Flowing Willow wrote:
Every year we've been truly successful under Fox, we've had the above (03, 05, 08, and 2010 Smile)

How is that every year?
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

DWillyMVP wrote:
Flowing Willow wrote:
Every year we've been truly successful under Fox, we've had the above (03, 05, 08, and 2010 Smile)

How is that every year?

He is saying that in each of the years that we have been successful (which he then lists).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
DWillyMVP wrote:
Flowing Willow wrote:

How is that every year?

He is saying that in each of the years that we have been successful (which he then lists).

He said every year we've been truly success, which I assume he meant every year Fox has coached. Although he lists the years, I guessed that was just him naming the years we've been the playoffs even thought 2010 hasn't happened yet so that is a cloud. We haven't been successful every year with John Fox, though. I think he worded it wrong, if that isn't what he meant.

Missing the playoffs with our talent = not successful. I'm not saying we should make the playoffs every year or anything, because it doesn't happen that way but we haven't been consistent under him. I would say the same thing if we were talking about the New England Patriots.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

DWillyMVP wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:
DWillyMVP wrote:
Flowing Willow wrote:

How is that every year?

He said every year we've been truly success, which I assume he meant every year Fox has coached. Although he lists the years, I guessed that was just him naming the years we've been the playoffs even thought 2010 hasn't happened yet so that is a cloud. We haven't been successful every year with John Fox, though. I think he worded it wrong, if that isn't what he meant.

Missing the playoffs with our talent = not successful. I'm not saying we should make the playoffs every year or anything, because it doesn't happen that way but we haven't been consistent under him. I would say the same thing if we were talking about the New England Patriots.

You assume wrong. Semantics. If he actually spoke that, you would understand him completely. By saying every year we have been successful we've had the above, meaning that in each (every) season we have been successful, the aforementioned things were present.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight guys

Sig courtesy of mack.
Flowing Willow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James has got it right, although towards the end of 08 our defense was not up to par. Explains quite a bit. And I put 2010 because I believe we're going to win the Super Bowl. Positive visualization. Smile

And NC, you may be right about the ZBS, I think we are more of a power team now that we got Stew and Otah. ZBS was when we had a couple of slashers with Foster and D-Will. But I maintain my position on defense. Look at our best defense's in the past, we were at our best when we were creating turnovers and stuffing the run, something Fox loves to do. Fox will play a zone to put them into position, but it's up to the D to close the cushion, and tackle well. That's the type of secondary we have, Godfrey, Marshall and Harris are all aggressive players. Gamble is more finesse, but he will gamble, a lot, trying to live up to his name. Fox prides himself on a defense that can stop the run and create turnovers, a must when you are a bend but don't break style.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flowing Willow wrote:
James has got it right, although towards the end of 08 our defense was not up to par. Explains quite a bit. And I put 2010 because I believe we're going to win the Super Bowl. Positive visualization. Smile

And NC, you may be right about the ZBS, I think we are more of a power team now that we got Stew and Otah. ZBS was when we had a couple of slashers with Foster and D-Will. But I maintain my position on defense. Look at our best defense's in the past, we were at our best when we were creating turnovers and stuffing the run, something Fox loves to do. Fox will play a zone to put them into position, but it's up to the D to close the cushion, and tackle well. That's the type of secondary we have, Godfrey, Marshall and Harris are all aggressive players. Gamble is more finesse, but he will gamble, a lot, trying to live up to his name. Fox prides himself on a defense that can stop the run and create turnovers, a must when you are a bend but don't break style.

We switched to a ZBS the last year that we had Foster (Willy's 2nd year). It was okay, and all of us were really excited about the potential, and we wanted to get Clady or Chris Williams in the draft, but Clady went right before us, and we picked Stewart, then Williams went, then we traded the next year's first for the pick to get Otah. We were all quite shocked, as we knew Otah couldn't play ZBS ball. Then once our running game became beastly, we all moved on Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Flowing Willow wrote:

We switched to a ZBS the last year that we had Foster (Willy's 2nd year). It was okay, and all of us were really excited about the potential, and we wanted to get Clady or Chris Williams in the draft, but Clady went right before us, and we picked Stewart, then Williams went, then we traded the next year's first for the pick to get Otah. We were all quite shocked, as we knew Otah couldn't play ZBS ball. Then once our running game became beastly, we all moved on Smile

Clady would have been beastly in our ZBS, however I'm not so sure I'd trade Stew/Otah for him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: