Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Sig courtesy of mack.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many hardcore loyalists and nobody wants to take the chance to educate someone on all things Cheese? Laughing

Help me out boys

Sig courtesy of mack.
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
So many hardcore loyalists and nobody wants to take the chance to educate someone on all things Cheese? Laughing

Help me out boys

You got mine. Laughing

I thought we were supposed to PM you it...now I see your going to check up on it. Laughing

Sig brought to you by Justo
PackerDaddy42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

Help me out boys

Although I am not a hardcore loyalist to this site... I am a hardcore Packers fan, and I believe I am knowledgeable enough to help you out.

Quote:
Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

I think more than anything, MM wants to coach a hard nosed, physical football team. This is why, I believe, he made the switch to the 3-4 defense for a more aggressive approach. He seems to be trying to copy Pittsburgh in that regard. Overall, he is an outstanding quarterback's coach, holding QB school every offseason, and the young quarterback really seem to improve because of it, seems to like to have a young quarterback to groom for fun. Offensively, he says all the time that he wants to run the ball more, but it never seems to happen. I think this is partially because Rogers checks out of run plays into pass plays during his pre-snap reads.

Quote:
Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

I can't tell you too much about Philbin, other then he seems to be McCarthy right hand man. I know that the offensive scheme that the Packers run is highly complex, and players on offense have to have a high IQ. When a player comes in on offense with out the brains (ala Allen Babre), things can get ugly. Philbin/McCarthy also does a good job creating different types of formations that play to the players strengths. Such as using to fullbacks in the backfield to lead block for the runner.

Quote:
What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

The Packers run a version of the West Coast Offense. Lots of short passes, with the occasional bomb. They run a zone-blocking scheme, but McCarthy has said that he wants to incorporate more power blocking in the offense. When running the ball, the Packers tend to run more Off Tackle than anything else. This seems to stretch the play out, and with zone-blocking, creates seems for the runner. The running back has to be a one cut and go back in this system, no nonsense... Which is exactly what Grant is.

Quote:
Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

Dominator Capers is a wizard. He seems to me to be a defensive genius...maybe I am getting a little bit ahead of myself. But Capers comes up with multiple ways to try to confuse the QB; whether it be in the coverage scheme, or the blitz packages that he comes up with. However, for what ever reason, he seems to become more conservative when the team faces a very experienced quarterback (ala Favre, Warner). He seems to be less aggressive in his play calling, and doesn't seem to try to fool them. Overall, I think Capers does a very good job playing to the strength of the players and of the entire defensive unit.

Quote:
What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

They run a 3-4. At first, many thought the defense would be more of a hybrid defense, but McCarthy stated many times that he wanted a pure 3-4 right from the beginning. With the 3-4 comes many other formations. Like the nickel package(2-4), and the new "psycho" package(1-5). As I said earlier, Capers tries to fit the defense so it benefits the players the most. So, in the beginning of the season we saw a lot of the same ole' bump and run coverage. But as the season went on, and when Al Harris got injured, we started seeing a little bit more zone coverage. There is speculation that Capers might want the defense to eventually be all zone coverage. But for the most part, in the defensive backfield, we put Woodson on the best opposing target on every down. Because Woodson is da man!

Quote:
When drafting, how important is character?

Character is extremely important. You here the term "Packer Person" all the time around here, and all that is is somebody with high character. The only time I've seen TT draft a player with questionable character would be when he drafted Jamon Meridth this last year in the 5th round, and when he drafted DeShawn Wynn in the 7th round in 2007. Those two guys didn't have any major character flaws besides questionable work ethic.

Quote:
During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

I would say very active, but mostly trading down. I think TT has traded up two times in the last 5 years (for Clay Matthews and for Jeremy Thompson). And the Packers average more than 10 picks a draft since TT got here in 05, an result of 13 total trade downs.

Quote:
Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

The up and comers/future starters: TJ Lang (Future Starter at G or T, but for now is a phenomenal back up). Sitton (RG, Best Lineman on the team, possible future Pro Bowler once people here about him). Breno Giacomini (Big Time potential for RT, but hasn't seen much action yet, possible starter, but could bust). Jermichael Finley (Super star ability now that he has his head on straight, will be starter at TE next year). Justin Harrell (Yea, I said it. IF he can stay healthy, he could be very good at DE). B.J. Raji (Still Developing, but will definitely get more playing time, if not start, at NT next year, will be a stud). Brad Jones (If he can put on some muscle, and learn some pass rush moves, he could be special. great potential, but I see him as a very solid back up at ROLB). Clay Matthews (beast...'nuf said). Tramon Williams (many believe that he will take over for Harris or Woodson at CB when one leaves, but I don't know if he will ever be a pro bowler)
Shouldn't Start: Donald Lee (TE), possibly Daryn Colledge (LG) on a bad day... very inconsistent.
Tradable: Aaron Kampman(3rd/4th), Brady Poppinga (6th), Desmond Bishop (4th/5th), Donald Lee (7th if we're lucky)
Lifers: Aaron Rogers, Greg Jennings, Clay Matthews, Charles Woodson, Nick Collins(hopefully a lifer)

Quote:
During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

The only veterans I can recall trading were Javon Walker, for a 2nd round pick, Corey Williams, also for a 2nd round pick, and of course Brett Favre. In most cases, I would say the Packer organization stays pretty loyal to their vets, unless the player becomes bigger than the team (ala Favre and Walker).

Quote:
What has been the downfall of your team recently?

Inconsistent running the ball through out the game. Injuries along the line resulted in a lot of sacks, and that is definitely the biggest problem for the offense. Defensively it has been defending the pass. Depth is a problem in the defensive backfield and when one man goes down, the man that steps in seems to be attacked and beaten. Also, the Defense has to get to the QB better, especially considering how often they blitz. And finally, Special Teams. Terrible coverage, terrible punting, average return men, and a down year for our kicker. Special teams needs a lot of work.

Quote:
Where are your largest holes this offseason?

-A young LT to groom
-A CB to groom as a possible starter and also to add depth
-A LOLB to provide a pass rush opposite Matthews. Preferably a more powerful pass rusher, that can stop the run.
-A SS to compete with Atari Bigby.
-A RT/G to add depth on the line, and possibly a future starter at 1 of those spots.
-Some defensive line depth, preferably at DE.
-Special Teams help, the Pack need a upgrade at punter, and could use a more dynamic return man. Maybe some Kicker competition.
-A playmaker on offense. The Packers seem to be missing a good short yardage back, as well as a good and consistent 3rd down back. Someone that can add an extra dimension would be nice.

Quote:
What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

Don't need much help at QB, or WR. But could use a piece of the puzzle in most other spots. They have a great passing game, and an up and coming young defense that this team can lean on for the future.

Quote:
What will it take for you to win a championship?

Protect the passer. Add another dimension on offense (cough C.J. Spiller). Rush the passer, and stay consistent in the secondary. Much needed depth in many areas in case of injury.

I hope that helped ya! I look forward to seeing what you will do with all of this information.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ugLymayNe - got your PM and saved it so it doesn't get deleted in the hysteria of FFMD

Great stuff both of you - preciate it

Sig courtesy of mack.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was sent in via PM by UM

ugLymayNe wrote:
# Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Mike McCarthy is a players coach, but one that is hard on them. LeRoy Butler recently said on the radio around here that every single player would run through a brick wall for the guy. He is an offensive minded coach and calls the plays. He is basically the OC and HC rolled into one. He is not afraid to be aggressive but he isn't afraid to call the game close to his vest. He has a tendency to get away from the run game too often and kick very long field goals(and this is one of the reasons people hate our kicker...but if it is under 60 yards we are likely to attempt the field goal).

# Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Joe Philban is our OC, but McCarthy runs the offense. Both work together when creating the game plan. Philban's background is as an OL coach. He is a perfectionist but has a quiet personality it seems like.

# What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Our offensive scheme is a mix of the WCO and the spread. In the pass game we use the normal WCO routes like slants, drags, hitches, skinny go's, etc. Normally WCO teams rarely use shot gun, and that is why I say this offense is a mix of the two offenses. Brett Favre rarely lined up in shot gun until McCarthy got here.

Early in the season we were using long developing routes with 5 step drops. Once it was evident our OL wasn't good we switched to more of a 3 step drop game and got the ball out quick. We worked on wearing out the pass rush, and once mid game came around we started throwing it down the field more. We use 4 WR's, 2 TE's, and Brandon Jackson regularly in the pass game. We cycle players in and out and probe for weaknesses through out the game.

We use mostly the ZBS but there is still some power gap sometimes. One common myth with people on this site is that the ZBS only calls for smaller agile guys. Part of it is true, but all blocking schemes call for big boys that can move. This is one of the subjects on this site that really - me off. Just because a guy is big doesn't mean he doesn't fit the ZBS, and just because a guy is smaller doesn't mean he fits it. Chad Clifton is an example of this one. The guy was never a big guy but he isn't a good run blocker in this scheme.

# Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

Something a lot of people don't know about Capers is that he wasn't sleeping in the playoff game. Laughing

He is an unpredictable DC when his players are executing. When it is evident that they aren't he is predictable though(Look at both Minnesota games, and the WC game). He has a few tendencies

1. Be aggressive.
He will throw everything at you as long as the players are executing. When the LB's are getting into their zones quick the blitzes are unpredictable. When we are having trouble getting into coverage it is obvious who he is going to send(this was one of the problems against Arizona...All 3 of our ILB's had a rough game).

2. He loves his nickel defense. We were running with the nickel defense against a lot of teams' base defenses. We were doing it for many reasons like strong TE play, DB blitzes, or the fact that the opposing run game flat out sucked.

# What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

The Packers run a 2-gap 3-4 and we mix up the coverages behind it, ESPECIALLY after Al Harris went down. The unique thing about our defense is Charles Woodson. When we are using our nickel D against other team's base he is usually free lancing and could do anything he wants. Woodson walks up to the LOS frequently, blitzes, or drops into coverage in the center of the field like the MLB does in the T2(this is when he gets a majority of his picks, he jumps a lot of routes).

# When drafting, how important is character?
Character is very important. Since Ted Thompson came around we have had very very few head cases and very few players that have been in trouble with the law.

# During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
I think we are very active. Every single year we have traded since Ted Thompson came around. Usually we trade down in the second to add a late second and an extra third. TT has only traded up twice, one time for Clay Matthews.

# Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Up and comers-
Clay Matthews and Jermichael Finley are going to be stars.

BJ Raji could get on this list. He looks like an extremely good fit for our nickel defense and was looking good in spot duty while we sat Pickett from weeks 14-17.

Future starters-
TJ Lang. Where? Who knows, but he can play 3 of the OL positions and the only one that isn't open is RG because of Sitton. The real battle is between Colledge and Taucher here. Whoever the staff goes with, Lang will end up at the other spot.

Shouldn't be starting-
Mark Taucher. He wasn't the reason our OL made improvements whatsoever. He was actually the worst OL that started at the end of the year for us by a good margin. The OL improved simply because Clifton was back and Colledge went back to guard where he belonds.

Brandon Chillar. Technically he isn't a starter, but Hawk should be getting more PT than this guy. Chillar doesn't play downhill enough for this scheme and only brings value in coverage. I like the guy a lot but he should be used only in nickel and our Big Okie(He lines up at SS sometimes in our base D).

Al Harris, simply because Tramon is better right now. I don't think Harris will be ready for the start of the season but he will go on the PUP. Big Al is my favorite Packer of all time though, because of his mentality.

Guys we need to cut-
Brady Poppinga, Michael Montgomery, Alan Barbre.

I'm not sure who is tradeable. I want to keep our 3 ILB's intact. We use all three a lot and it is one of the positives of this defense. I think Johnny Jolly is tradeable because of a few reasons. He got a lot of national attention but the guy is very hot and cold(he was one of the reasons our DL sucked in 2008). I think we can get a third round pick for him from a team that needs 3-4 DL help.

# During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

We have done player swaps but not too often. We swapped Gado for Morency a few years ago. This past year we swapped Tony Moll for Derrick Martin and it was a steal.

# What has been the downfall of your team recently?
Teams can spread us out and beat us. It is ironic because early in the season it was the pass rush, once we fixed this Harris went down.

# Where are your largest holes this offseason?

CB, LT, OLB depth, S depth, and IMO TE.

If we resign Taucher and don't put a tender on Colledge, TJ Lang is going to be the LG. We will need a RT for sure if that happens, the RT spot will be a problem still. Personally I think we should keep Colledge at LG and put Lang at RT. Colledge gave up 2 sacks when he was actually playing guard, and fits the ZBS perfectly at guard.

# What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

The way our offense looked at the end of last season was unstoppable. Our defensive line is the strength of our defense as long as we retain Pickett.

# What will it take for you to win a championship?

It will take Rodgers and Co. to continue playing like they were over the last half of the season.

Our defense needs some consistency. A few players were extremely hot and cold, and had their worst games at inopportune times(Barnett, Chillar, Hawk, Lee, Bigby, Jones all had a bad playoff game).

The only consistent parts of the D were the front 3, Charles Woodson, and Nick Collins. Clay Matthews should probably be on that list though, but lets let him do it over an entire season.

Sig courtesy of mack.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackerDaddy42 wrote:
Tradable: Aaron Kampman(3rd/4th)

there it is again.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
GreenBayAddict4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
PackerDaddy42 wrote:
Tradable: Aaron Kampman(3rd/4th)

there it is again.

With Vike Daddy keeping a close eye on us, I better not make any obvious errors when communicating my thoughts! Shocked

Done by Waldo ^^
GreenBayAddict4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackerDaddy42 wrote:
Quote:

Protect the passer. Add another dimension on offense (cough C.J. Spiller). Rush the passer, and stay consistent in the secondary. Much needed depth in many areas in case of injury.

I hope that helped ya! I look forward to seeing what you will do with all of this information.

That's something I think most of us have been looking forward to for awhile. Right now, we only have 1 guy who can "go to distance" on any given play, and that's Greg Jennings. That one "special" quality though that he lacks is that "freakish" athleticism.

Right now our offense is a very good offense, but if TT attains a guy like a Percy Harvin or a Reggie Bush, then I think that would definitely add that other dimension that you speak of, and ultimately resulting in having a legitimate powerhouse offense. Not to mention, a decent O-Line would help this offense reach it's full potential, hopefully we can achieve that at some point via the NFL Draft or FA(?).

Done by Waldo ^^
PacAttack04

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBayAddict4 wrote:
PackerDaddy42 wrote:
Quote:

That's something I think most of us have been looking forward to for awhile. Right now, we only have 1 guy who can "go to distance" on any given play, and that's Greg Jennings. That one "special" quality though that he lacks is that "freakish" athleticism.

Right now our offense is a very good offense, but if TT attains a guy like a Percy Harvin or a Reggie Bush, then I think that would definitely add that other dimension that you speak of, and ultimately resulting in having a legitimate powerhouse offense. Not to mention, a decent O-Line would help this offense reach it's full potential, hopefully we can achieve that at some point via the NFL Draft or FA(?).

Didnt we lead the league in plays over 40 yards halfway through the season? I dont know where we finished, but we had plenty of big plays.
GreenBayAddict4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PacAttack04 wrote:
GreenBayAddict4 wrote:
PackerDaddy42 wrote:
Quote:

Didnt we lead the league in plays over 40 yards halfway through the season? I dont know where we finished, but we had plenty of big plays.

Good point, basically just saying it wouldn't hurt to give ARod another useful tool to help him out even more. As a group, we're going to be successful, but on an individual level, we still have room to add another player that can bring something new to the table. Someone who has that "homerun ability" when given the ball. Sorry, I hate using that cliche, but it was the only thing that came to mind.

Done by Waldo ^^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: