Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Sig courtesy of mack.
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
[*]Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Schwartz was known for his "moneyball" (statistical inference) approach before we brought him in. He's a Georgetown grad and is very mathematically inclined--as such, he puts a lot of stock into statistical correlations and has done research to figure out what sorts of production most closely correlate with winning.

He has emphasized getting bigger and more physical, but he has also expressed interest in finding a "home-run" threat at running back, which doesn't really seem to fit the physical mentality.

With the Titans he mostly played a laid-back cover-2 type of defense, "bend but don't break" so to speak.

MaddHatter wrote:
[*]Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Linehan was once a highly-respected coordinator . . . before the Rams hired him and he turned them into a joke. Seems like last year he ran a pretty simple playbook considering we had a rookie quarterback. He was not afraid to let him throw 37 times a game, though. He's known as a quarterback's kind of coach, which explains why he's doubling as our QB coach this year.

MaddHatter wrote:
[*]What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

There's no emphasis either on zone blocking or man blocking--it's a mix of the two, not what you'd call a ZBS by any means. The run-pass mix is well-balanced when the score allows it (though frankly the Lions' defense was so bad that they wound up throwing a ridiculous amount of times just to catch up). I wouldn't say it's particularly unique or that there are any unfamiliar cogs to it.

I'll do the rest later--I have class in 3 minutes.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Draft_FanAddict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HC: Jim Schwartz is a defensive-minded coach. He is in the mold of a Bill Belichick in that he doesn't align himself with a particular defensive strategy, but always attempts to take away whatever the opponent does best. He wants a strong, physical running game and a defense that limits points. He focuses practices on situational drills and works hard on third down.

OC: Scott Linehan likes to mix the pass and the run, and uses the run to set-up big plays in the passing game. I think what most people don't know about him is how successful his teams have been on the ground...even when the stats haven't shown it, he's used the running game to poke holes in opposing defenses and create opportunities for big plays in the passing game. Dennis Erickson was his mentor in the attacking-style passing game, which is an NFL version of the spread.

DC: Gunther Cunningham is a high energy, attack-oriented defensive coordinator. Best known for his high sack, high turnover Chiefs defenses of the '90s, his teams allowed few points, terrorized the QB, and featured players like Derrick Thomas, Neil Smith, and Dale Carter. He swears A LOT, and is not afraid to get in players faces. He specializes in coaching LB's. When he had control of the Chiefs, they blitzed a lot and used man coverage. The Lions current defensive scheme is a mixed bag...they still have not found anything they can do well. What is unique about Schwartz and Cunningham is that they are very utilitarian...the LB's are more right and left than strong and weak, and the same really goes for the safeties. The DE's line-up very wide and try to keep the play inside, while the DT's keep the bodies off the LB's for them to make the tackles. It's a physical scheme, and even the corners are expected to be capable tacklers. They would like to use man coverage more (with safety help) but with the poor talent they currently have, use a fair amount of zone (which doesn't work either).

Character is no more important to Schwartz than it is to anyone else. He and Mayhew look at the total package and seem to value leadership and character, but the Aaron Brown pick tells you that if they see a great talent, they'll take the chance on character issues. Don't look for them to pull a "Bengals" and take guys that are destined for the slammer, but they won't rule out a player just because he drank a few beers in college either.

Being that this is a new regime, we can't be too sure about how active the Lions will be in trades. Last year, they traded Roy Williams to the Cowboys (yeah, we raped Dallas in that deal) and Mayhew seems to be looking for any opportunity to improve the roster. I'd say we're more active than most teams because we have so much work to do to get a competitive roster together.

The up-and-comers on our roster are mostly from the 2009 draft class. QB Matt Stafford showed he has all the physical and mental tools to excel...will his decision-making improve? Will his line ever give him enough time? Will get some receivers that can get open? Brandon Pettigrew was really starting to come on before his injury on Thanksgiving. If he can get healthy, he should be a very good TE. S Louis Delmas is already one of the best players on our defense. He is a hard-hitter with great leadership abilities. LB DeAndre Levy was a surprise pick, and one that most of us (myself included) did not approve of. It turns out we were wrong. This guy is tackles well, looks smart, and is being groomed to the lead the defense. DE Cliff Avril has the tools to be a good pass rusher, but hasn't put it together yet. DT Sammie Hill (draft class of '09) is big, strong, and quick, but hasn't been able to get much push in the passing game and still needs time to develop. Turk McBride and Zack Follett are two guys that could come on in the next couple of years.

Who is starting that shouldn't? Anyone who played LG for us last year, anyone who played WR (not named Calvin Johnson) for us, and probably not anyone that started at RB. On defense, the entire D-Line was inadequate, the LB's were solid, and the secondary (other than Delmas) is just unacceptable. They are the weakest unit on the team, and that's a strong statement when you're talking about the Lions, because our O-Line and D-Lines are awful too...and our receiving corps.

Anyone is tradeable, but we won't be letting good players go without getting great value in return. The two players least likely to be traded are Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford. The other young players named above are unlikely to be moved.

We had a big off-season trade for Julian Peterson last year, but that was the exception to the rule. I might expect more of that in the future, but, again, this is a new regime, and it's hard to identify their style at this point.

The downfall of our team is our talent level. I'm confident that the Lions have less talent than any other team in football, with only the St. Louis Rams even coming close. Quite simply, when your players can't play, you're going to lose a lot. Our D-Line, secondary, O-Line, receivers, and, to a lesser degree, RBs are all pretty pathetic.

Our largest holes are in the secondary (both CBs and one safety), D-Line (DT and two DEs), O-Line (LG), and receiver (#2 and slot).

Our biggest strengths are our QB, Calvin Johnson, and the other players named above.

It will take a miracle for us to win a championship. The roster will probably see 20-25 spots turnover this off-season...we'll have a very different group in '10 and the learning curve will be steep. Realistically, we're still at least two years away from being a playoff team.

They are also the most loyal.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Shwartz is a defensive minded guy... Relies more on size than speed, though he obviously won't rule out talent simply because of that. He attempts to adjust to the opponents (unlike most of our recent HCs), but has problems doing so because of personell. He doesn't like blitzing a lot, and seems to have a pretty large hand in the way our defense is run. Most people don't know that he's an 80's metal kind of guy.

Linehan is a pass happy coordinator, who is also Stafford's mentor. Mostly we've seen him air it out a ton because of our lack of a run game and because we are down early in almost every game, but he's not like a Martz type guy. It's difficult to tell what he'll end up doing here because of a serious lack of talent... We don't run much of any one style because of that. Most people don't know that he is successful in the run as well as the pass, and that he's actually pretty accomplished. His stint with the Rams kind of left a poor taste in people's mouths.

Gunny is kind of a loudmouthed coach. Gets in players faces a lot, and some of the vets aren't particularly happy about it, ala Larry Foote. Loves to blitz and put pressure on the QB in any way possible, but hasn't been able to because of a combination of Shwartz holding him back, and a lack of talent up front and in the secondary. We run mostly a 4-3, but sometimes run a 3-4... not often, however. Our defense mostly consists of getting burned in every way possible. No pressure up the middle, so when we actually manage to get pressure from the outside, (which isn't often,) the qb can just step up in the pocket. Our secondary is really bad too, which certainly doesn't help at all. Most people don't know that we actually have a defense on the field at all.

Character is pretty important, but as has been said, we aren't above giving guys a chance. We stay away from serious character concerns, but if a guy has made a few mistakes, we don't reject him outright.

We've only had one draft with this regime, so it's tough to tell... But Mayhew has certainly made quite a few moves, so I'd venture to guess that we'll be pretty active in the future as well. Fleecing the Cowboys for Roy, (sorry dude, but it's true) Trading Redding for JP, etc. are all pretty good proof that we'll make the necessary moves. If the trend continues, I'll be pretty damned pleased... We've come out of these trades well recently. Letting Bodden go might have been a mistake, but there really isn't much you can do about that... and in comparison, Mayhew has done really well for us so far.

Pretty much all of our "future starters" are already starting. Delmas, Stafford, 'Grew, Levy, SLH, etc. Other guys that have the potential to make an impact and aren't well known are RG Peterson, RB Brown, DE Avril (though he may be a better fit as a LB in a 3-4), CB Will James (maybe as a nickle, but he's alright, not particularly good) FB Felton, and that might actually be about it.

We have nobody that we would trade that's worth anything. There has been talk of Sims, but he wouldn't net us anything over a third. He's probably going to play out his contract here. We could probably get a late pick for DE White.

I don't know that anyone would disagree that Millen pretty much ruined this team. Bad drafts, bad hirings, bad FA signings, bad resignings, bad trades. He really didn't do anything worthwhile outside of drafting CJ , having Mayhew as an assistant and getting fired. He traded away Shaun Rogers. He drafted Mike Williams. He resigned Redding to a huge and unnecessary contract. He signed guys like Dwayne White to fairly large and long contracts. It's been pretty bad all around.

Our biggest holes are the entire D-line, LG, #2 reciever, RB, CB. We have a lot, and the talent we have is less than mediocre in those areas.

We have a decent LB core, especially if we end up resigning Foote, which doesn't seem likely. We have a great #1 receiver. We have a solid QB. We have a good saftey, and a good group of TEs.

It will take quite a lot for this team to even be competitive, much less win it all. At least 3 or 4 more years of great drafts and solid FA signings. The guys we have have to develop according to plan. Etc.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff guys - really appreciate it - keep it coming

Sig courtesy of mack.
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

Really? I think they summed it up nicely.

Team Stylish
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Really? I think they summed it up nicely.

Not everyone alwasy agrees - I want to give everyone an opportunity to share their thoughts

Sig courtesy of mack.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you "making"?

Sig bet
BillySims

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has stated.

I am updating what has transpired since the draft.

Drafting Suh + the trade for Cory Williams + FA signing of KVB = D-line fixed. Willie Young, DE, NC ST. was a very nice late round draft pick to develop behind KVB.

Drafting Best = RB fixed

Trading for Rob Sims = LG fixed.

Drafting Fox = we now have an OT in development that may already be better than Gosder and could replace Backus in a year or two.

Signing FA WR Nate Burleson = #2 WR and adding a couple of other FA/Waiver pick ups in addition to Williams( drafted 3rd round last year), we have healthy, young competition for #'s 3 and 4 WR.

CB Amari Spievey = a good start at addressing the secondary. Much more work needs to be done in this area. We still need another CB and a SS.

Trading away Ernie Sims = Addition by subtraction. Eagles fans will soon rue the day they acquired Ernie. He over pursues to the point that he takes himself out of the play FAR TOO OFTEN. I am comfortable with the best man between Zach Follett and Caleb Campbell replacing him.

Getting Tony Scheffler provides the Lions with the best TE duo in the league. And add Best to the equation, and defenses won't simply be able to double and triple team Calvin Johnson anymore.

Greatest needs going into the 2010 season, Post Draft:

1. CB - We still need a 3rd CB to emerge.
2. OLB - We need to find out who is going to replace Ernie Sims and also who is going to be Mike Peterson's understudy.
3. SS - Ko Simpson and Daniel Bullocks are competing to start at SS opposite Louis Delmas. Simpson is still hurt. Bullocks is trying to return, once again, from major injury. This may very well be the Defenses undoing AGAIN this year. It could also be a high priority in the 2011 draft.
4. OT - Can Jason Fox prove that he was drafted way too low? He could potentially become a very good LT. He could also be a very good RT. Or he could only be a very good swing tackle. Will the real Jason Fox please stand up? If the Lions draft an OT as Backus's replacement, I don't think it will happen until 2012. Meaning - I think Fox was drafted to replace Gosder because he has, so far, been a 1st round bust.
5. Dominated Raiola is small and ineffective against the bigger D-linemen. I believe him to be the most overrated OC in the league and would love to see his replacement drafted in the 2011 draft. But, like Backus, I don't think they will draft his replacement until 2012.
cr3p

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me feel dizzy.

Bucky wrote:
better question...what the hell is right with him?
thugurnaught

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Jim Schwartz is a motivational kind of guy. He is pretty fiery on the sidelines, though he has stated on numerous ocasions that he would like to try to be more like Dungy than Gruden. Comes from a 4-3 defense where he was coordinator and has installed that D here in Detroit. Doesn't beleive in a "weakside" or "strongside" or "free" or "Strong" safety. Likes guys who are versatile, like Peterson being able to move down to DE on some passing yards, or Levy who can play outside of inside. Still new to the head coaching game, so is still putting his stamp on this team.

Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his stye. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Linehan is a pretty solid OC who seems to play to the strengths of the team he is coaching. When he was in Minnesota, Culpepper had his best years. When he was in Miami, they lacked a star QB with the arm of Culpepper, so he made Ronnie Brown look excellent. That is probably the best thing about Linehan. He disects the team and takes the best talent and makes them the focal point. He knows how to make a teams strength be a really powerful part of the team. Linehan likes two tight end sets, likes running backs who can catch it, and runs a man blocking O line instead of the zone we installed under Marinelli.

What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Running game this year should be a rotational system between Jahvid Best, Kevin Smith, and either Maurice Morris or Aaron Brown. Passing game will have lots of two tight end sets with Pettigrew in the traditional TE spot with Scheffler as the slot. Will probably see more 2 WR 2TE passing sets than 3 WR 1 TE. Blocking is a man system.

Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

Gunther Cunningham is a mean son of a [inappropriate/removed]. No other way to word it. Old, cranky, will make you work for your position. 4-3 scheme, loves to blitz, though we didn't do it much last year because our line sucked and our secondary sucked so the LB's had to play coverage more than blitz. With the additions this year, we should see Levy, Peterson, and Follett/who ever starts the other spot look much different.

What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Front 7 under Cunningham should be blitz heavy. Last year they were more coverage based, dropping back to help with our atricous secondary. What is unique is we don't have WLB or SLB desinations. Lions like to have versitile LB's who can switch around and confuse the opponents.

When drafting, how important is character?

This year it seemed to be pretty important. Last year,Pettigrew and Brown had reg flags but nothing too bad. Suh, Best, Spivey, and Fox are all considered high character types. Rumor has it that Schwartz decided against Mauluga last year because he was a party animal, so he targeted Levy in the 3rd. I think character is pretty important, but not to the point where we will complety pass on a guy who has some "minor" red flags.

During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

Can only look at the Mayhew/Schwartz dynasty.

2009 draft- Traded 3rd round pick for a 3rd, 4th, and 7th. Traded our 6th round pick for a 5th round next year and a 7th this year.

2010 draft- Traded 2nd, 4th, and 7th for a 1st, 4th. Traded a 7th for a 6th next year.

Couple of trades, not afraid to move up to get the guy they want or trade down to get depth. Trade late round picks for future picks both years. Seems like a trend.

Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Starters from the last draft (up and comers)- Stafford, Pettigrew, Delmas, Levy.
Potential contributors/future starters- SLH, Brown (3rd RB/KR), Follett

Starters from this draft- Suh, Best (Split with Smith), Spivey
Future Starter- Jason Fox could be the future at LT or RT.

Starters who should not be starting- Starting on offense, our starting QB, RBs (both Smith and Best) WR 1-2, TE 1-2, LG C RG are all pretty solid looking. Backus is borderline starter. He can look pretty solid at times, (week 3 and on last year, he wasn't bad) or he can look horrible (Week 2 versus Vikings). Cherilus has his make or break year. He needs to have a strong year or else Jansen or Fox will be breathing down his neck in no time. I would like us to actually have a power block FB as well.

Defense is a little more cloudy. Both DT, LDE, MLB, one OLB, one CB, and "FS" are all set. Avril needs to prove that he is a constant force. Hopefully with some talent around him, he;ll do well. OLB is slated to be Follett and Peterson. Peterson is proven. Follett has the attitube, it's just aquestion of how he will develop. Houston and Spivey are the projected starters at CB. Are they good enough? We'll see. One rookie and one underacheiver in the wrong system in ATL (Zone versus Man). "SS" is a question with Bullocks and Simpson manning it.

Special Teams we have one of the best Kickers all time. Punter is fine. We don't know who our KR or PR will be at this moment.

During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

Wow.....under Mayhew

Traded Jon Kitna for Anthony Henry
Traded Cory Redding and a 5th for Julian Peterson
Traded a 5th for Corey Williams and a 7th
Traded a 5th and some scrub for Rob Sims and a 7th
Traded a 6th and a 2011 7th for Chris Houston
Traded a 2011 7th (Had two, original and one from the jets) for Shaun Hill.

That's six i can remember off the top of my head.

What has been the downfall of your team recently?

Where are your largest holes this offseason?

1.CB
2. Pass Rushing DE
3. OLB
4. SS
5. Future at LT/RT. Backus and Cherilus will start, but could be improved on.

What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

Passing game with Stafford, Best, Johnson, Burleson, Pettigrew, and Scheffler should be ellectric.

Defensive Line could be a real force. Suh, Williams, Avril, and Vaden Bosch should give us plent of force on the line.

What will it take for you to win a championship?

Another really solid draft or two. We have a very young offensive corp minus Backus and Raiola. On D, we are adding talent each year. We get a DE who can get 10 + Sacks each year and a number 1 corner and we could have a solid D.

We are not ready to compete yet. This year, 6 Wins is what I can truthfully expect. Let Stafford develop and the D gell.

Lions Board Draft Quiz Champion 2011
Smack with the amazing sig props!
AAL- Tony Scheffler- Swashbuckling the Competition!
1 Rush - 5 Yards 1 Rec, 11 Yards, 1 TD
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Schwartz is a perfect fit in Detroit. His philosophy is not using getting players for a scheme, but rather a scheme that fits his players.

• Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Linehan is known for making good QBs, good news for Stafford.

• What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Basically, whatever fits the team best. Since we have a big armed QB, and a few guys that can go deep, the offense tends to go for the big plays.

• Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

Gunther is about as blue collar as it comes. He wants his guys to hit, hard. He is extremely firey and a perfect fit here in Detroit.

• What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Our D is about as typical as it comes. It could changhe, though, depending on what personell we aqcuire in the upcoming years.

• When drafting, how important is character?

It seems we like to draft good kids. Havent really drafted anybody known for having any sort of character issues. They have never really implied whether or not they care too much, though.

• During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

The Lions seem to target specific players in the draft and try hard to get them.

• Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Levy is the biggest up and comer. Guy looks like a steal in the 3rd. Jason Fox will be the future LT or RT. Backus, IMO, shouldnt be starting at LT. Cherilous shouldnt be starting at all. Com Raola could be a tradable piece in the next few years. Louis Delmas is a lifer, for sure.

• During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

The Lions seem to like getting vets that can fill in as we fill other needs first.

• What has been the downfall of your team recently?

Simply a lack of talent.

• Where are your largest holes this offseason?

The secondary is still terrible. Didnt do much to help it.

• What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

Definately our offense. It appears to be coming together.

• What will it take for you to win a championship?

Time.

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: