Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Sig courtesy of mack.
fuzzcat55

Location: I had something clever here but mods made me change it :(
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, but I will not support a Cutler hater Wink

Russell Wilson = STAR
Adopt-a-Bear:Devin Hester
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a Cutler hater, just a Cutler realist Wink

Sig courtesy of mack.
mattyice2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Not a Cutler hater, just a Cutler realist Wink

So you think that Cutler will be a top 3 quarterback in the league? Thats what a Cutler realist is.

Dirty Bird Watch: Akeem Dent
midraelprince

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzcat55 wrote:

??? where in there does it say hes a cutler hater?
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midraelprince wrote:
fuzzcat55 wrote:

No he's a Cutler hater, it's not in this post, but it's all over this website. It's fine, we'll let Jay do our talking this year.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
bearsaddict

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
midraelprince wrote:
fuzzcat55 wrote:

No he's a Cutler hater, it's not in this post, but it's all over this website. It's fine, we'll let Jay do our talking this year.
Thanks, I was wanting to know as well.
topwop1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

^^You guys are silly. I'll give this a shot.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Well Lovie Smith lives and dies by the Tampa/Cover-2 philosophy. His scheme likes to utilize undersized and speedy players with an emphasis on rushing the passer with 4 down lineman. I don't know if this is true or not but according to Mike Martz in an interview Lovie Smith and NOT Monte Kiffin was responsible for the creation of the Tampa-2 defense.

• Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

To be honest I can't really tell you a whole lot about Martz. I do know that he has one heck of an offensive mind and has a bit of a strong ego. He apparently demands near perfection from his players as his offense relies on perfect timing. His offensive philosophy is a product of the Air Coryell offense which likes to use more of a vertical passing game as opposed to the West Coast system.

• What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

For most of this answer see above. To add to this, the blocking scheme is based on a power technique and requires both tackles to be able to hold up well in pass protection as this offense is typically more pass oriented than run oriented. I'd say about 60% pass 40% run but I don't have the exact figures.

• Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

There's not much to know about Rod Marinelli's philosophies, tendencies or styles considering he's never been an NFL defensive coordinator before. It should be noted however that he was the d-line coach of the Bucs from 1996-2005 where he had the chance to coach with LB's coach Lovie Smith and DC Monte Kiffin who were both big preachers of the Tampa/Cover-2 defense, so you've got to think that's the kind of philosophy he's going to run here in Chicago.

• What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Tampa/Cover-2 is basically our main scheme, but over the past 3 years due to a lack of pass rush from our front-4 we've steadily employed a more aggressive blitz style approach which hasn't really been successful to say the least. It's a one gap shoot and go defense. I do know that our CB's like to play a lot of off man zone coverage. Also the type of defense that Lovie typically likes to employ is one that is heavily based on creating turnovers.

• When drafting, how important is character?

I can't say it used to be, but I would imagine now that it is definitely an important factor for GM Jerry Angelo with the fairly recent releases of both Tank Johnson and Cedric Benson due to law troubles.

• During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

In the past we've been fairly active in trading down to try and grab more picks in the mid to late rounds. A recent example is last year when we traded our 2nd round pick to the Seahawks for a few of their later picks and also a few years ago when we traded out of the 1st with Buffalo for the same thing. We don't really have a history of trading up under the Jerry Angelo regime. As far as I know I think it was only done once or twice and that was in the later rounds for WR Justin Gage.

• Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Well I don't speak for all Bears fans when I tell you this as it is just my opinion but here it goes.

Up and comers include basically our whole WR corps (Aromashodu, Knox and Bennett), CB Zack Bowman, LT Chris Williams and LB Jamar Williams.

Future starters I could see in the near future are DT Jarron Gilbert, DE Henry Melton and OT/G Lance Louis.

Again this is all opinion but to me starters who shouldn't be or shouldn't have been starting include OG Frank Omiyale, WR Devin Hester and DT Marcus Harrison. Some might say Tommie Harris but I think he's still a valuable player to this team. Also our whole safety tandem shouldn't really be starting. The only guy I like out of that group is Craig Steltz at SS. We truly need a FS.

Guys that might be tradeable are LB Jamar Williams, LB Nick Roach, DT Marcus Harrison and S Danieal Manning and I would say that they are probably worth anywhere from a 4th round pick to a 7th.

Lifer's include LB Brian Urlacher, C Olin Kreutz and hopefully Jay Cutler Wink Laughing

• During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

See Jay Cutler trade last year. LOL. It's also widely noted that we tried trading our 2nd rounder last year for WR Anquan Boldin. Besides that we've made a few deals over the years such as trading our 6th rounder to WAS for S Adam Archuleta, trading what I believe was a 5th rounder to Buffalo for DT Darwin Walker and lastly trading WR Marty Booker and a 3rd rounder to the Dolphins for DE Adewale Ogunleye. There might have been a few other deals made but nothing worth noting.

• What has been the downfall of your team recently?

Players getting too old too quick. A lack of the front office replacing these players by acquiring better ones through both free agency and the draft. We have a high bust rate in the first couple of rounds of the draft over the past few years. Lastly I would say coaching has been a big downfall as well but IMO coaching can only get you so far, you have to have talent first and foremost.

• Where are your largest holes this offseason?

Offensive line (LG and RT), Defensive line (most notably DE), Free safety and backup RB.

• What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

Brian Urlacher and Pisa Tinoisamoa will be returning after missing basically all of last season. Cutler and the receivers looked like they were finally starting to gel towards the end of the season and bringing in Mike Martz should only help them grow. Also, I don't want to jinx it but it looks like we may have our future LT in place with Chris Williams.

• What will it take for you to win a championship?

We need a dominant pass rush to ensure that our defense plays at a high level and returns to being that dominant force we saw in the 05/06 to 06/07 seasons. If that happens it will make us hard to play against because we all know that the offense is going to put up enough points with Mike Martz' system. We also need the front office to start hitting on more draft picks and the coaching staff to not be so stubborn and put the right players in position to make plays. *Cough*Devin Aromashodu*Cough*
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^
Look at the length of our post. I think that has a lot to do with people's apprehension...

What are you using this info for MH? What kind of "project" are you working on?

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Topwop

AZBF - I'm working on a project for one of the more general forums for the Gnat - I'll elaborate further once it's closer to completion

Sig courtesy of mack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: