Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Sig courtesy of mack.
sanfranraidersfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

[*]Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
Our Head Coach is Tom Cable. He is a renowned offensive line coach, teaching the Zone Blocking Scheme. He likes running the ball and utilizing three WR or two TE sets. He's a great teacher, leader, and has the respect of the team.

[*]Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
We have a new offensive coordinator, Hue Jackson, formerly QB coach of the Ravens. He has had success everywhere he has been--with Flacco, as a WR coach in Cincinatti with Houshmanzadeh, Ochocinco, Henry, and throughout college and the NFL as an OC. I couldn't tell you his style, tendencies, or philosophy because he is new to the staff, but everywhere he has been the HC has appreciated him.

[*]What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
We are a Zone Blocking Scheme (ZBS) team. Other than that, we are probably going to have changes to our offense this year.

[*]Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
Our defensive coordinator is Jim Marshall, who last served as DC of the Seahawks. In Oakland we play a 4-3 defense, with strict man coverage and usually a deep FS. Marshall blitzes at crucial moments, often confusing the offense, or stunning them at the correct time. Evidence can be shown in the Philly game. He is known for blitzing LBs and for LBs producing well in his system. In Seattle, Julian Peterson and co. racked up a lot of sacks. He currently is using DE Trevor Scott as a hybrid LB, often sending him on the blitz for much success. He is a good DC.

[*]What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
See above.^ On the DL we do mix and match our players. We have a solid rotation.

[*]When drafting, how important is character?
Hmm..that's a tough question because I think it is important to our team, but we're not afraid of taking risks (Seabass is a good example). In last year's draft all of our players were high character, hard workers, old school players (Mike Mitchell). I'd say it's a case by case basis. We're not afraid to take risks and we have a history of being a team of outcasts, and we love that.

[*]During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
Pretty active.

[*]Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
Up and comers: Michael Bush, Marcel Reese, Louis Murphy, Chaz Schilens, Zach Miller, Brandon Myers, Bruce Gradkowski, Matt Shaughnessy, Desmond Bryant, Trevor Scott, Tyvon Branch.
Future starters:
Shaughnessy, Bush, Mike Mitchell.
Starting but shouldn't:
Cornell Green (need to find replacement), Cooper Carlisle (same, aging), Hiram Eugene (more of a backup), our KR/PR (Holland/Higgins). Jamarcus as of right now.
Tradeable: I couldn't tell you. Depends what the market is of course.
Lifer: Janikowski, Lechler, Zach Miller, Robert Gallery, Nnamdi Asomugha, Tommy Kelly.

[*]During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
Very active.

[*]What has been the downfall of your team recently?
Poor talent. Lack of first round picks producing. Free agent misses. Coaching turnover. Trades not turning out well. Poor offense, run defense.

[*]Where are your largest holes this offseason?
Offensive line, run defense (whether that be LB or DL is up to coaches/Al Davis), KR, CB depth.

[*]What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
Coaching stability and new coaches with excellent pedigrees. Young, homegrown talent core coming together on offense and defensive: Murphy, Schilens, Bush, Miller, Scott, Branch, Shaughnessy, Mitchell. We're in a good position with our draft picks to solidify the team.

[*]What will it take for you to win a championship?
A good draft, free agent signings this year. A productive season reaching 8-8 or in contention. Then another year of good drafting and we're in the thick of things.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up and comers

darren macfadden rb
chaz schilens wr
louis murphy wr

tyvonn branch ss
mike mitchell ss
matt shaughnessy de

on defense

we run a base 4-3...most of the time its rush 4 man defense...rarely have blitzed in the past,but i see us being more active in that regard since we had alot of succes with it last year....we play alot of single high saftey...jump into our nickel defense very often...

trades during the draft

we are very active trading in the later rounds moving up for specific players or moving back and accumulating picks...not so much in the 1st...

character in the draft

although we have that "Raider Mystique" we rarely draft trouble makers..i think the last one was darrell russell (rip)

we really dont trade for veterans moss is the last one i can think of...but we are very active in free agency every year...it seems like we bring in a few FAs every year,if only for a look....

largest holes

RT(black hole big) RG,NT,LB,FB

biggest strength

probably our pass defense and kicking game...

i think itll take developing our talent that is already here(see DMC,DHB)bulding a competant OL and findind a way to stop the run...oh and getting an NFL caliber QB under center,to win a championship....

hope this helps
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff guys, keep it coming Very Happy

Sig courtesy of mack.
ienjoythesnow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

SFRF did a really good job, i'll try to add without repeating anything already said

Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
He's probably the most un-conservative coach in the league, has no problem going for it on 4th down or passing on 3rd and short. Believes in wearing the defense down with power runs up the middle in the first half and tends to get the runners on the outside in the second. I think he's understanding what each players' strengths are and getting better at playing into them (eg. the second half of the season had a lot less runs up the middle from McFadden). I do think he's in a bit over his head though and what i mean by that is, I don't think he understands the game very well, don't get me wrong, he's a fantastic motivator and speaker, but i don't think his football IQ is very high.

What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
A lot of people have this notion that we're strictly a ZBS team, truth is we do use a fair amount of power blocking, it's probably around a 70/30 ratio of ZBS to PBS.

Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
I think we all know Mr. Davis' defensive philosophy, if you don't, it's a base 4-3 with our corners playing man coverage, often with no help over the top, safeties move around a lot, there's usually one playing 20 yards off the LOS and the other one is sometimes right next to him or right next to one of the LB's. we're not big on blitzing, but we have been doing a lot more of it as of late.

When drafting, how important is character?
pretty much everyone sans JR and DMC have had no character issues, so i'd say it's been very important.

Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
Future Starters: Shaughnessy, Michael Bush, Bruce Gradkowski
Starting But Shouldn't: Cornell Green, Jamarcus Russell
Tradeable: Basically everyone that isn't a lifer
Lifer: Shane Lechler, Sebastian Janikowski, Justin Fargas, Nnamdi Asomugha, Zach Miller, Robert Gallery, Richard Seymour

RaiderX with the assist^^
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks IES - who else can share some insights?

Sig courtesy of mack.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Tom Cable is an oline coach who probably would have never been an HC, or at least not anytime soon, anywhere else. He's a player coach though. That's the main thing he has going for him. He has shortcomings when it comes to playcalling or designing an offense and he knows it, Al Davis knows it, everybody knows it, hence the Hue Jackson hiring.

Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

I don't know much about Hue Jackson. It seems he's a very good positional coach, he has helped develop a lot of very good offensive players. He has limited experience has an OC in the NFL though.

What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

We try to be a run heavy team but we don't really have an identity or have not been able to establish it on a consistent basis. We run a ZBS. Our passing game has been awful for a long time now with the unstability at the QB position. Hopefully, Gradkowski can stabilize it next season and we finally start to build a potent aerial attack.

Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

DC is a strange position in Oakland because you never know how much freedom he has when calling a game. Obviously, Al Davis is involved in every aspect of the Raiders but the D is an area he's putting extra attention to. Most of the time we run a 4 man rush from the dline with everybody else in coverage (press man coverage on the outside with a single deep middle FS) and no blitzing, a defense also known as "vanilla". But things have evolved a bit during the course of the season and we've seen more blitzes and zone coverages.
Whether it's still there next year is anyone's guess though.

What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

See above.

When drafting, how important is character?

I'm not sure it's very important. I don't know what kind of interview Russell had with the Raiders but if he sounded anything like he sound now, i guess character has zero importance to Al Davis.

During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

Very active. We usually don't trade down in the 1st but you can expect to see us involved in trades every year.

Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Up and Comers:
Chaz SChilens
Louis Murphy
Matt Shaughnessy
Trevor Scott
Tyvon Branch
Mike Mitchell

Shouldn't start:
JaMarcus Russell
Cooper Carlisle
Cornell Green
Gerad Warren

During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

Very active, Randy Moss, DeAngelo Hall, Richard Seymour to name a few in the recent past.

What has been the downfall of your team recently?

QB play, putrid oline and run D, no continuity in the coaching staff, bad drafting, stupid FA signings.

Where are your largest holes this offseason?

Oline, run stopper at DT, depth at CB and possibly QB.

What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

Kicking game, Nnamdi and finally some coaching continuity.

What will it take for you to win a championship?

Next season, a miracle. In the future, a coach to establish an identity on both sides of the ball without Al Davis interfering (too much...) and no more wasting of 1st rd picks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: