Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are really subjective questions... and that will take a long time to answer. Here's my take on it.

1) I'll summarize the coaching staff in one go. The head coach is Jack Del Rio, the offensive coordinator is Dirk Koetter, and the defensive coordinator is Mel Tucker. Offensively, the Jaguars play a run-heavy version of the West Coast offense, which results in a lot of 3-6 yard gains. He run up the middle 80 percent of the time and pass into the flats and hooks about half the time. The other half of the passes go towards the middle. Defensively, we play cover two 4-3 defense. We hope that our defensive line will get home, even if there's no reason to expect that. Our corners get a lot of man-to-man coverage with safety assistance over the top, and as a result, a lot of passes go into the middle of our defense for eight to ten yard gains. There aren't a whole lot of surprises with our staff except for the fact that Jack Del Rio goes for it a lot on fourth down and that Dirk Koetter was a former head coach at both Boise State and Arizona State.

2) I'll take drafting in one go too. Under James "Shack" Harris, from 2003-2008, character was not quite as important. We drafted several players with character issues (i.e. Matt Jones) and often went for the "home run" hits in the first round, drafting for need instead of best available player. Under Gene Smith, the Jaguars take character very seriously and draft best available player, resulting in two extremely good third round picks, defensive tackle Terrance Knighton and cornerback Derek Cox, in addition to many other great picks in 2009. Historically, the Jaguars are not involved with trading in the draft, and this includes trading for veterans.

3) Strengths and weaknesses- the downfall of our team is our inability to get sacks on the quarterback. Many commentators tend to blame this on the defensive end, but that would really be a mistake. The defensive ends rarely get home because of the inability of our second defensive tackle (usually John Henderson) to occupy blockers and stay disciplined in gap defense, leading to good blitz pickups and well-blocked defensive ends. Additionally, the Jaguars's version of cover two 4-3 results in a lot of 2-4 second passes over the middle, since the linebackers are generally responsible for over the middle protection. Our corners do not generally do a good job of protecting the middle of the field; in fact, they rarely jam the wide receivers. Of course, this doesn't excuse the defensive ends- there's no question they're not very good yet- but it does explain why our defense is so dismal right now. We're also not a very good passing team- Garrard's not what I would call a franchise quarterback, despite being paid like one- and our tight ends are either not quick enough or experienced enough to catch passes effectively and consistently over the middle and in the hook zones, where they should be most effective. However, our team is a great running team and Maurice Jones-Drew has the ability to turn two yard gains into sixty yard touchdowns. Every team has to respect his threat, and therin lies the "success" of the Jaguars.

4) What it will take to win the big game- that's the $1 million question right there. Here's what I believe: the team needs a true franchise quarterback, one who reads defenses very well and throws with the accuracy and consistency demanded of a top quarterback. Our team needs to beef up in the middle of both lines- our center and both our guards are suspect- and our second defensive tackle is always suspect as well. Whether we are playing in the 4-3 or the 3-4, our defensive tackles will need to learn how to two-gap effectively and consistently in order to contain rushers and put pressure on the quarterback (when our defense was one of the best in the league, John Henderson and Marcus Stroud ate up the middle of the field). The back end has to improve as well- our safeties need to be better tacklers and our corners need to be better at taking away the middle of the field.

5) The future of the franchise- Thanks to Gene Smith's incredible 2009 draft, we have a lot of pieces in place. Offensive tackles Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton were very solid as rookies and will be bookend tackles for years to come. Cornerback Derek Cox has the most promise of any of our 2009 rookies; he has the athleticism and the intelligence to play cornerback in the NFL. Defensive tackle Terrance Knighton is an incredible nose tackle who can play multiple schemes and will be around for many years. Two of our rookie wide receivers, fourth round pick Mike Thomas and fifth round pick Jarrett Dillard, show enormous promise at the position and it seems that Mike Thomas will start next year opposite Mike Sims-Walker. Finally, our sixth round pick, Zach Miller, is an incredibly athletic tight end who bears a strong resemblance to Dallas Clark.
Who shouldn't be starting on our team? Our quarterback, David Garrard, if we can find a better replacement, although that seems unlikely. Center Brad Meester and guard Vince Manuwai are obviously candidates. None of our defensive ends are really worthy of starting, although 2008 first round pick Derrick Harvey shows some promise. And although most Jaguar fans will not agree with this, Rashean Mathis should not be starting at right cornerback in the 4-3 defense. He gets beat too easily in man-to-man coverage due to his questionable mechanics in coverage. And finally, everyone here can agree that Reggie Nelson really needs to pick it up or get cut in next year's final cuts.

I hope this helps.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerdboy153 wrote:
Those are really subjective questions... and that will take a long time to answer. Here's my take on it.

1) I'll summarize the coaching staff in one go. The head coach is Jack Del Rio, the offensive coordinator is Dirk Koetter, and the defensive coordinator is Mel Tucker. Offensively, the Jaguars play a run-heavy version of the West Coast offense, which results in a lot of 3-6 yard gains. He run up the middle 80 percent of the time and pass into the flats and hooks about half the time. The other half of the passes go towards the middle. Defensively, we play cover two 4-3 defense. We hope that our defensive line will get home, even if there's no reason to expect that. Our corners get a lot of man-to-man coverage with safety assistance over the top, and as a result, a lot of passes go into the middle of our defense for eight to ten yard gains. There aren't a whole lot of surprises with our staff except for the fact that Jack Del Rio goes for it a lot on fourth down and that Dirk Koetter was a former head coach at both Boise State and Arizona State.

2) I'll take drafting in one go too. Under James "Shack" Harris, from 2003-2008, character was not quite as important. We drafted several players with character issues (i.e. Matt Jones) and often went for the "home run" hits in the first round, drafting for need instead of best available player. Under Gene Smith, the Jaguars take character very seriously and draft best available player, resulting in two extremely good third round picks, defensive tackle Terrance Knighton and cornerback Derek Cox, in addition to many other great picks in 2009. Historically, the Jaguars are not involved with trading in the draft, and this includes trading for veterans.

3) Strengths and weaknesses- the downfall of our team is our inability to get sacks on the quarterback. Many commentators tend to blame this on the defensive end, but that would really be a mistake. The defensive ends rarely get home because of the inability of our second defensive tackle (usually John Henderson) to occupy blockers and stay disciplined in gap defense, leading to good blitz pickups and well-blocked defensive ends. Additionally, the Jaguars's version of cover two 4-3 results in a lot of 2-4 second passes over the middle, since the linebackers are generally responsible for over the middle protection. Our corners do not generally do a good job of protecting the middle of the field; in fact, they rarely jam the wide receivers. Of course, this doesn't excuse the defensive ends- there's no question they're not very good yet- but it does explain why our defense is so dismal right now. We're also not a very good passing team- Garrard's not what I would call a franchise quarterback, despite being paid like one- and our tight ends are either not quick enough or experienced enough to catch passes effectively and consistently over the middle and in the hook zones, where they should be most effective. However, our team is a great running team and Maurice Jones-Drew has the ability to turn two yard gains into sixty yard touchdowns. Every team has to respect his threat, and therin lies the "success" of the Jaguars.

4) What it will take to win the big game- that's the $1 million question right there. Here's what I believe: the team needs a true franchise quarterback, one who reads defenses very well and throws with the accuracy and consistency demanded of a top quarterback. Our team needs to beef up in the middle of both lines- our center and both our guards are suspect- and our second defensive tackle is always suspect as well. Whether we are playing in the 4-3 or the 3-4, our defensive tackles will need to learn how to two-gap effectively and consistently in order to contain rushers and put pressure on the quarterback (when our defense was one of the best in the league, John Henderson and Marcus Stroud ate up the middle of the field). The back end has to improve as well- our safeties need to be better tacklers and our corners need to be better at taking away the middle of the field.

5) The future of the franchise- Thanks to Gene Smith's incredible 2009 draft, we have a lot of pieces in place. Offensive tackles Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton were very solid as rookies and will be bookend tackles for years to come. Cornerback Derek Cox has the most promise of any of our 2009 rookies; he has the athleticism and the intelligence to play cornerback in the NFL. Defensive tackle Terrance Knighton is an incredible nose tackle who can play multiple schemes and will be around for many years. Two of our rookie wide receivers, fourth round pick Mike Thomas and fifth round pick Jarrett Dillard, show enormous promise at the position and it seems that Mike Thomas will start next year opposite Mike Sims-Walker. Finally, our sixth round pick, Zach Miller, is an incredibly athletic tight end who bears a strong resemblance to Dallas Clark.
Who shouldn't be starting on our team? Our quarterback, David Garrard, if we can find a better replacement, although that seems unlikely. Center Brad Meester and guard Vince Manuwai are obviously candidates. None of our defensive ends are really worthy of starting, although 2008 first round pick Derrick Harvey shows some promise. And although most Jaguar fans will not agree with this, Rashean Mathis should not be starting at right cornerback in the 4-3 defense. He gets beat too easily in man-to-man coverage due to his questionable mechanics in coverage. And finally, everyone here can agree that Reggie Nelson really needs to pick it up or get cut in next year's final cuts.

I hope this helps.

Excellent write-up nerdboy. I love almost all of it, except for the Mathis thing

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
nerdboy153 wrote:

I hope this helps.

Excellent write-up nerdboy. I love almost all of it, except for the Mathis thing

I don't agree with everything but it's still a good write-up and I probably won't be doing one lol

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
nerdboy153

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
nerdboy153 wrote:

I hope this helps.

I don't agree with everything but it's still a good write-up and I probably won't be doing one lol

Thank you very much.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is a gap eating power NT a need for the Jags at some point ot help free up the DE's?

When you look at your LBers, do they need to be upgraded because of their failures in coverage or are they being asked to do too much?

Thanks for the info boys - keep it coming

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
So is a gap eating power NT a need for the Jags at some point ot help free up the DE's?

When you look at your LBers, do they need to be upgraded because of their failures in coverage or are they being asked to do too much?

No, Knighton already fills that role. The Jags need an undertackle for the future though.

And yes, I'd say that in a lot of the cases, the LB'ers are being asked to do too much. However, if McClain was available at 10 and the Jags didn't trade back they probably would take him and he would start over Ingram (if Ingram comes back).

Both Durant and Smith are great LB'ers and thoroughly underrated.

jagsr4real

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

wat we need at DT is a Passrushing kind of guy aka a gerald McCoy/Suh type of player. we have a NT in Terrence Knighton and while another NT would make sense for us i dont see the value in haveing 2 of them on the field for pass rushing. yea it would make the ends get one on one matchups but we need another END before anything else really. Harvey played well as he didnt have anyone really helping him

we need a LB as we are going to a more agressive 4-3 defense and the SLB isnt very adept at Blitzing. kindle would be a guy i would consider but thats only if we traded down towards the late first

IN Blaine Gabbert I Trust

[quote="Adrenaline_Flux"] I'd rather have Katy Perry, but I'd be more than happy with Aimee Teegarden.[/quote] give me aimee all day
nerdboy153

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

No, not a power nose tackle, but an under tackle who has good gap discipline and eats up two gaps. Examples of that in the draft would be Arthur Jones and Vince Oghobaase, who have excellent motor but are still able to eat two gaps at the same time.

And yes, the linebackers are asked to do too much, although it is true that they are bad in coverage.

And aren't you associated with the Chicago Bears FFMD staff?
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the franchise in as much financial stress as it is, would it be reasonable to assume that there is very little, if any, chance they trade up in the 1st round?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
With the franchise in as much financial stress as it is, would it be reasonable to assume that there is very little, if any, chance they trade up in the 1st round?

Yes. Gene Smith is the kind of guy that would rather trade down in the first than up though as well.

JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

Yes. Gene Smith is the kind of guy that would rather trade down in the first than up though as well.

Although I agree with AF here, I think all GMs would prefer to trade down. Gene showed last year though, he isnt afraid to trade up for a guy he loves(Derek Cox)

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
DjBuddaH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

Really hard to gauge this question as our current GM has only handled 1 draft, and in that draft he traded the next years 2nd rounder for the present 3rd rounder (Derek Cox). So to say that he wouldn't trade up, doesn't hold much ground.

Historically we haven't done a lot of trades, but recently we have and Gene Smith was a part of that staff, maybe even a part of the driving force to get the trade exectued (we as fans don't know). Last year we traded up to get Derek Cox...the year before that we traded up to get Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves...the year before that we traded down to get Reggie Nelson. So the past 3 drafts we have made Day 1 trades, or early Day 2 trades. So counting out an early trade imo isn't out of the question regardless if it's trading down or up.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7978242#7978242
Esteban wrote:
If people would listen to my advice I would give it but until then I wont
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess where I was going with that was that when you're already paying Top 10 Pick Money, it's unlikely that you'd move up for a guy and have to pay Top 5 money with the franchise as strapped as it is... right? I realize most of the other rounds are very different as the cost difference is much less (maybe a few ten thousands here or there)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
I guess where I was going with that was that when you're already paying Top 10 Pick Money, it's unlikely that you'd move up for a guy and have to pay Top 5 money with the franchise as strapped as it is... right? I realize most of the other rounds are very different as the cost difference is much less (maybe a few ten thousands here or there)
its highly unlikely we would trade up.

IN Blaine Gabbert I Trust

[quote="Adrenaline_Flux"] I'd rather have Katy Perry, but I'd be more than happy with Aimee Teegarden.[/quote] give me aimee all day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: