Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Sig courtesy of mack.
jcm412

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="MaddHatter"]Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

[list][*]Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Mike Tomlin is a young defensive mided coach. You could sum up his philosophie and style with this quot from him. "I'm a fundamentalist. I think football is a tough man's game. It's an attrition game. You win by stopping the run, being able to run the ball effectively and doing the things that winners do. Being a detail-oriented football team. Playing with a great passion and execution." and "You've got to be good at mastering the core football values. Playing hard. Playing fast. I think that's what good teams do. Living in and feeling the urgency of now. I think that's what teams do. These are some of the things that would be important to me."

He comes from the Dungy coaching tree. He is really a Tampa-2 guy but made the switch to the 3-4 zone blitz scheme when he got to Pittsburgh.

He is a players coach. He tends to get a great responce from players. He knows how to speak and motivate people.
spush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheesh, lots of questions, but I'll answer a few. By the time Im done if I have time for all, I will..

Quote:
# Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Tony Dungy disciple. Seems to value team speed over positional strength on draft day with BPA mentality to acquire good football players rather than focus on needs. Seems to adjust well on the fly valueing versatility. Doesnt get caught up in semantics with entire focus on winning rather than fighting for moral victories.

Seems to value front 7 on defense and skill positions on offense which puts the focus on pass rush and passing game which is what wins in todays game. Seems to rely on scheme for secondary and OL as primary way to be successful. Has adapted Dungy's style in that regard.

Has incorporated more of a pass first defensive read system on defense switching out physicality for speed to compete in todays game. Doesnt get caught up in offensive tendencies with focus on scoring rather than balance. Has allowed his all world QB to have the reigns removed by placing game day trust in his decision making.

He's modeling this team as a cross between NE Pats (versatility) and Colts (leadership) as a model.

His strength is secondary play and has incorporated more zone philosophies than Cowher ever did with focus on scheme rather than individual playmaking

Quote:
# Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Not really loved by Steeler nation. Does struggle with play design at times and times and has an unorthodox playcalling style that smashmouth Steeler nation hasnt adapted too.

But, he gets it. He understands what it takes for offense to be successful in this league and has been the major factor in the maturation of Ben Roethlisberger. He's held his hand and led him to the player he is today by slowly increasing his offensive leadership role to having almost an extra coach on the field. That alone is more than most OC's ever bring to the table.

Usually an excellent game planner but can get stale in adjustments

Quote:
# What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

run - G Power and inside zone is bread and butter. Right handed run team with emphasis on pulling OG, 2 TE / 3 WR sets with no FB

pass - vertical stretch with TE's as outlets. Is on fire when attacking at all levels, gets redundant when trying to attack certain parts of the field.

blocking - power zone team with. As stated, right handed run team to strong side with lead blocker, usually pulling TE, OG, or overloaded line with extra TE. Interior ZB with little emphasis on perimeter run game. Prefers to use pass to set up run

Quote:
# Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

in a nutshell. stop the run, force 3rd downs to be creative. Play umbrella coverage and force individual matchups in pass pro and expects playmakers to win. Pressure the QB and not give up the deep ball at the same time. Disguise coverage with intense blitz to force a QB to make quick decisions under pressure until he breaks

Quote:
# What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as well as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

Alot of cover 3 against run teams for extra man in box. Alot of cover 2 man on 3rd down. What is unique is he doesnt make holes in the secondary to force pressure. He relies on scheming players into matchups for them to win. Zone coverage is based on triangles for any 3 given players to converge on WR at any give time with brackets.

Quote:
# When drafting, how important is character?

ummm, this is Steeler football, thats should be evident

# During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
# Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
# During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

Quote:
# What has been the downfall of your team recently?

not refocusing after SB wins, getting complacent

Quote:
# Where are your largest holes this offseason?

individual OL talent, health in secondary and age in front 7

Quote:
# What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

youth and talent in offensive skill positions, stopping run, pressure, coaching

Quote:
# What will it take for you to win a championship

focus. we're contenders every year

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude your mock is sick, good job
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Spush - appreciate the intro to Steelers football 101 Very Happy

Sig courtesy of mack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: