Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
What will it take for you to win a championship?

It would take God to suddenly stop holding his ridiculous grudge toward Cleveland sports. We've got it worse than the Boston and Chicago ever had it. At least some teams in their town won something on occasion. This garbage with our teams always finding ways to lose that have never before been seen(Helmet toss, PI on a hailmarry, blowing a 30-3 lead in the playoffs, the fumble, the drive, RR88) Come on man. Its getting old. That doesn't even mention the Indians blowing it against Atlanta and Florids then Boston most recently, or the Cavs getting destroyed by one guy for years and now San Antonio, Boston, Orlando you name it they find a way to lose to someone every year.

Jamison on the sig
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... Haha - What else ya got?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Eric Mangini is a strict guy who wants guys who are smart and can carry out all the duties required of every position on the field. He also makes sure that the players know not only their position, but the position of every player on the field. Most people don't know that he was a ball boy in Cleveland when he was a kid

• Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Brian Daboll has little to no experience as an offensive coordinator. His lack of experience calls for a lot of screen passes. He's not very good right now, and I don't like him. But he has Holmgren to learn from so I expect big things. Most people don't know that last year was his first year as an Offensive Coordinator

• What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

We run a power blocking scheme but also utilize the speed our our OL for outside runs. Our line is extremely fast and that makes it unique because you'll often see our C/OG pulling way outside and lead blocking for our RB. Theirs no much people don't know about it, but I'd say the athleticism of our OL is something that really goes unnoticed to anyone that isn't a Browns fan

• Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

Rob Ryan is the heart of this team in my opinion. He's a guy who doesn't care what you give him in terms of players, because he's gonna maximize their potential and put a decent product on the field every Sunday. He loves to play man to man outside and bring the house at the QB. He's also known for his aggressive style of play. He's like to keep the offense guessing and his schemes are very complex. Something people don't know about him is probably his work ethic. On our bye week, he had the defense stay for 5 days at the team facility and re-taught them the basics of the game. He ordered pizza's to live off of and really dedicated himself to getting this defense fixed.

• What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

We run a very aggressive 3-4 that allows the front 7 to attack but puts alot of responsibility in the secondary.

Character is huge because Mangini wants so much out of his players. He truly believes in the team concept, and he doesn't want anyone who defies it. He also wants smart guys who are all around players and are dedicated to football and only football, so character is huge.

Last year going into the draft we only had 4 picks, and ended up with several more picks based on trading. I'm not saying this is something that is always going to happen, but Mangini needed to get us some picks that our old GM traded away. I think this year when we have all of our picks we won't be near as active as far as accumulating picks, but the possibility of using some of our later picks to move up is a huge possibility

• Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Eric Wright is a big up and comer, and I can see him being a top CB with a year or 2 more under his belt and with some competition. He's also a future star in the making. Alex Mack is looking like he could be one of the best Centers in the whole NFL and that's not an exaggeration. Joe Thomas is a guy who will always be a Brown, and easily the best LT in the game. Shaun Rogers is a possible guy we'd trade likely for a 2nd. Brandon McDonald and John St. Clair are 2 starters right now that are better off being backups. They're not very good at what they do and seriously need replaced

• During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

We've been pretty active at trading away players for picks. Guys like Winslow and Edwards were traded, so it's something that never is out of the question if it means helping our team

• What has been the downfall of your team recently?

The lack of talent and a very inconsistent offense.

• Where are your largest holes this offseason?

Secondary. We're in desperate need of another CB for sure and Safety also is a major need for us. Other departments would be QB, RT, ILB and WR

• What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

Rob Ryan is a huge strength as he gets the best out of his players. As far as players go, we're strong at LT, LG, C, RB (if Harrison continues what he has done), FB and OLB (Roth and Wimbley will be nasty with a secondary upgrade), NT

• What will it take for you to win a championship?

We really need to add some talent and to fill some defensive holes we have. I think a few years to add talent is what it will take to win a championship.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Druid - thanks! Anyone else want to weigh in?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Druid, BMac doesn't start, he lost his job to Mike Adams early last season.
RING OF HONOR: ERIC TURNER, WEBSTER SLAUGHTER, BERNIE KOSAR, ERNEST BYNER, JOSH CRIBBS, HANFORD DIXON, MICHAEL DEAN PERRY, JOE THOMAS, TIM COUCH, CLAY MATTHEWS, ERIC METCALF, JAMIR MILLER, GERALD MCNIEL, MARTY SHOTTENHEIMER, JIM BROWN, FRANK MINIFIELD
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sleeper43 wrote:

I think he got it back towards the end of the season. I think?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
sleeper43 wrote:

I think he got it back towards the end of the season. I think?

You might be right, they might have moved Adams to S when Pool went down.
RING OF HONOR: ERIC TURNER, WEBSTER SLAUGHTER, BERNIE KOSAR, ERNEST BYNER, JOSH CRIBBS, HANFORD DIXON, MICHAEL DEAN PERRY, JOE THOMAS, TIM COUCH, CLAY MATTHEWS, ERIC METCALF, JAMIR MILLER, GERALD MCNIEL, MARTY SHOTTENHEIMER, JIM BROWN, FRANK MINIFIELD
TeHDruiD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we did so much swapping of our secondary that it's hard to tell who was the starter from game to game. Regardless though, neither McDonald or Adams is fit to be a starter
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

I'll add to what TehDruiD said

Mangini comes from the Parcells line of "my guys", the types of players who fit the mold of what he see's as a 'football player' will be the ones who get to play. Likewise he comes from the Belichick system of roster development where the backend of the roster is as important as the front end. This is why we scoured the waiver wires, gave Marcus Bernard so much playing time and drafted guys like Viekune and Maiava.

As to what is not known about him, he's not actually satan.

It has all but officially been announced that the power run is no longer going to be our primary offensive set, and instead the WCO will take its place. That is not to say the run will vanish, but expect to see an offense based more on the Seahawks and Packers of the 00's and 90's then the Giants and Patriots of the 90's and 00's.

Much like the Belichick defense, ours is attempting to find success with pressure up the middle. Likewise, we (like New England) do not have the feared pass rusher on the outside who game in and game out brings Demarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman like impact to the pass rush.

Paramount.

Between Savage and Mangini, we have been very active. But all that goes out the window with Heckert, sort of a wild card in that regard.

SO, you'll have to let us know what all this will be used for.
CanaDawg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

• I don't think I've seen bullets used here before. Impressive.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

CanaDawg wrote:
  • I don't think I've seen bullets used here before. Impressive.

Haha - glad you liked that Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: