Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking for Insights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

Working on a project, and could use some help from you guys. I'm going to include a questionaire below, if as many as possible could fill it out and share as much detail as possible, it'd be greatly appreciated.

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
  • When drafting, how important is character?
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
  • During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

Sig courtesy of mack.
Davey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bang this out for you when I have a chance.
Darrelle Revis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

[list][*]Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

What can I say about Rex? He's a defensive genius. Rex is passionate, sometimes to a fault, but it's usually good. His players love playing for him.

[*]Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Schotty is an enigma. Sometimes it seems like the guy has no idea what he's doing, but on occasion he looks brilliant. Early in the season he was making things difficult for our rookie QB by putting him in shotgun too much and not giving him any easy throws. Later in the season and in the playoffs he was smart with Sanchez and it showed on the field. Most people don't know that he can be truly awful at times. I see his name in best OC threads sometimes and IMO, he shouldn't be near the top.

[*]What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

We are a run-first team. Mostly because of our rookie QB, but our OL is sick in the run game and we have 3 very good backs. I expect Schotty to open up the offense a little in the 2nd half from what it was in the playoffs after an offseason of chemistry with Sanchez and his receivers. The weapons are there, but guys like Dustin Keller and Leon Washington need to see the ball more.

[*]Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

Pettine is the DC, but Rex calls the plays. It's Rex's D. Even though we don't have a top edge rusher, we blitz all the time, especially on third down. Thus our corners play a lot of man.

[*]What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

We run a base 3-4, but a good amount of the time we'll have 4 down linemen or some combination of 2 down linemen and a bunch of pass rushing linebackers and safeties. So when people say Gholston is in the wrong scheme, they're wrong. Since we have the best DB in the league in Darrelle Revis, Rex usually shades a Safety to the other side of the field leaving Revis on an island (Revis Island obv.). It bates the QB into throwing to Revis and forces turnovers/pass deflections.

[*]When drafting, how important is character?

I guess it's important since I can't remember the last time we drafted someone high with character issues. Gholston had some rumored motivational issues, so I guess that counts. But D'Brick, Mangold, B Smith, Washington, Clemens, Revis, Harris, Sanchez, and Greene are all great character guys.

[*]During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

Extremely active. We've made draft trades the last 4 years. If Tannenbaum wants someone, he'll go get them. He wanted Mangold, Revis, Harris, Keller, Sanchez, and Greene; how did they work out?

[*]Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Up and Comers: James Ihedigbo (I'm a big fan, he is a very solid role player for us), Mike DeVito (played extremely well this year), Mark Sanchez (Watch the playoffs), Jamaal Westerman (looked really impressive when he got reps)
Future Starters: Shonn Greene, Jamaal Westerman

[*]During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

Pretty active; we traded for Jenkins, Pace, Braylon, and Lito. Once again, Tanny will get his guy.

[*]What has been the downfall of your team recently?

It's always different things. This year it was the late-game failures and inconsistencies. ST lapses, late turnovers, and 4th quarter defensive letdowns killed us this year.

[*]Where are your largest holes this offseason?

I don't think we have any enormous holes, but pass rusher and corner are the biggest ones. We are a terrorizing edge rusher away from being an incredible defense IMO. In terms of corner, our secondary was #1 in the NFL, but we need another man corner.

[*]What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

I don't really understand the question. What are our biggest strengths in general? Our offensive line, RB, and defense are all very strong.

[*]What will it take for you to win a championship?

I think we need another edge rusher to take the next step. Another weapon would be nice, but Leon will be back and Sanchez will mature over the offseason. If we can acquire a 10+ sack guy, this team will be special. Sanchez's development is the other obvious one. We can't win the SB if he doesn't become a good QB. I really think the Jets have something potentially special going here.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

• Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
    There isn't enough I can say about Rex Ryan. The guy has done a tremendous job in his first season as a head coach. The guy is second to no one when it comes to ballsy calls, maybe Sean Payton. He's aggressive on offense and defense. Only Gregg Williams can compare on defense really. Most people don't know that his brother is a Sith Lord. True story.
  • Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?
    Schotty is very hard to understand. He tries to be unconventional to the point where there's a reason what he's trying to do is unconventional, it just doesn't work. He can be flawless at times, and I mean flawless. Look at the Cinci games. He was just money. He even had great calls in the San Diego and Indy games. He's become a run-first guy under Ryan. He likes to use motion a lot and run exotic formations. He likes to use the wildcat. Sometimes at inopportune times. Most people don't know he's not going to be a good HC. I don't know thats all I can think of for him.
  • What offensive scheme do you follow in the run, pass and blocking game? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
    Power running team. What's unique is that I can't think of another power running team that uses the ZBS. The Jets implemented it before the season and it worked great. The Jets have the best OL in the NFL IMO. They run right mostly. The bread and butter is a power-O play to the right with Faneca pulling, it's almost guaranteed to work.
  • Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.
    I'll just say the DC is Rex Ryan. He calls the plays. But the real DC, Pettine, is Ryan's right hand man. I'm sure he's just as aggressive as Ryan. Most people don't know he has an impressive football pedigree as well.
  • What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?
    We're a 3-4 team by personnel but on the field we play mostly a 4-3. Especially once Jenkins went down. Everything about this scheme is unique. It's a heavy blitz system with man coverage on the outside with a single high safety mostly.
  • When drafting, how important is character?
    I don't think the Jets place a large emphasis on character, but I don't think they'd draft someone who has obvious issues. I think a guy like Lagarrette Blount would be a pick they would make if they want to.
  • During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?
    Very active. The Jets have been one of, if not the most active team in draft trades.
  • Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?
    Up and comers are Dustin Keller, Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Mike Devito, David Harris, Darrelle Revis, Dwight Lowery.
    Future starters are Leon Washington/Shonn Greene, Mike Devito and Jamaal Westerman (homer pick).
    He brings so much to the table but Alan Faneca has become a liability at times, especially in pass protection. We don't have any other options though.
    Kerry Rhodes could be traded, I'd say his value is a 2nd. Dwight Lowery could be, I say his value is a 3rd-4th. Leon Washington could get traded, I say his value is a 2nd. Bryan Thomas could get traded, value is a late pick.
    If by lifer you mean lifelong Jet, then Shaun Ellis and Jerricho Cotchery are the vets that come to mind. Maybe even Kerry Rhodes. Younger guys I expect to be around until they retire are D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Mark Sanchez, Darrelle Revis, David Harris, Shonn Greene, Dustin Keller and Leon Washington.

• During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?
    Not necessarily trading but we've been active in FA lately.
  • What has been the downfall of your team recently?
    QB play. But that looks like it's about to change.
  • Where are your largest holes this offseason?
    Pass rusher, #2 CB, slot WR, safety
  • What are your biggest strengths this offseason?
    Experience. You can't get it by any other method than getting older and getting time on the field. This young team getting one more year under their belt can only help.
  • What will it take for you to win a championship?
    Before the Indy game I would have said a more consistent offense, but now I'm worried about the defense. Ryan just needs to bring in more of his guys. In two years (could even be next year if things go really well) I think the Jets will be serious superbowl contenders.

I appreciate each and every reply that I receive and promise that this information will be put to very good use in the very near future. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and try to reply ASAP.

It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff guys - keep it coming!

Sig courtesy of mack.
Davey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for Insights Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:

Tell me about your Head Coach, his philosophies, and his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

Rex Ryan is outspoken and he's extremely confident. He's a defensive mastermind and the confidence he has in himself, his coaches, his players, and top to bottom the organization is infectious and has brought about a swagger to this team. For better or for worse, Rex is going to speak his mind and without thinking twice about it he's going to come to the defense of his players as if he's out there on the field suiting up with them.

His philosophy is all about being aggressive. He likes to run the football and his defense is all about getting after the QB and forcing mistakes and bad throws. His defense is based off 3-4 personnel but runs out of a plethora of formations, with his third down blitz packages being the staple of the scheme.

He's not known for running a rigorous TC or anything like that, he's a more fast paced practice and get things done quickly type of coach. He's the definition of a player's coach, and his motto for his coaching staff is "they don't work for me, they work with me". Players LOVE Rex and I recall player quotes from Baltimore when he first came here saying they'd basically run through a wall for the guy. Passionate and a great motivator. Awesome Xs and Os, great motivator, his one weakness deals with the more administrative duties of being a head coach on game day(though much improved later on) and on a smaller level having too much confidence in certain people.

Quote:
Tell me bout your Offensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What are his tendencies? What do most people not know about him?

The offense is where things get really interesting. Rex is pretty hands off with the offense and lets Schotty run it himself with minimal HC interference. Rex has a lot of confidence in Schotty and the organization loves him but there is a bit of a disconnect with what Rex wants and what Schotty likes to do. Rex is old school, Schotty is new school. You can tell what kind of picture Rex had for the offense when he talked about it pre-season, and you can see the reality of what Schotty ran is different, particularly in the passing game. The offense is complex, tons of pre-snap movements, no huddle, incorporates some spread elements, ZBS concepts in the run game, Sanchez operated out of a power I formation one snap and is in the shotgun with four wides the next. Rex wanted to emulate the Ravens, hence why he thought he could handle starting Mark as a rookie, but the Ravens kept things incredibly simple for Flacco while Schotty threw a complex offense into Mark's hands and didn't scale a thing back.

The running game made a ZBS switch this season and it worked out quite well, due in no small part to OL coach Bill Callahan, the likely suitor for the OC job once Schotty gets the HC job he's been speculated to be in the running for for a few years now.

As for how he calls plays, his playcalling is creative. Sometimes perfect, sometimes too creative, often times gives off the impression he's just outsmarting himself. Despite the Jets reputation this year for being a run heavy team, which they definitely were, Schotty has typically been an OC that likes to throw the ball.

He's really a bright offensive mind, and can really call some great games, but once he leaves to take a HC job I'm not sure if I'll miss him. Depends who replaces him.
Quote:

[*]Tell me about your Defensive Coordinator, his philosophies, his style. What do most people not know about him? What are his tendencies? etc.

See the opening thing about Rex Ryan. Mike Pettine carries the DC title, but he's basically just Ryan's right hand man and it's Ryan who calls the plays. On game day, Pettine goes up to the booth and relays information down to Ryan and Rex makes the calls from the field.

Quote:

[*]What Defensive Scheme do you follow in the front 7 as wel as in coverage? What is unique about it? What do most people not know about it?

The Jets are 3-4 in personnel but not so much in formation. They run out of a ton of different formations, play an attack style and blitz more than anybody in the league. The blitz packages will be LB and DB heavy, sometimes featuring a defensive line made up entirely of LBs, and the idea is usually to overload one side and bring more than the team can block, forcing a premature throw. They're predominantly a man cover team and in the secondary the scheme is basically built around Darrelle Revis, putting him on the opposing team's #1 and rolling help elsewhere or dialing in heavier blitzes.

Quote:

[*]When drafting, how important is character?

Character is important to GM Mike Tannenbaum but he's not going to pass on a guy because of an isolated incident.

Quote:

[*]During the draft, how active in the past have you been in trades?

As active as any team can possibly be. Trading up twice in the first two rounds in '07, traded up for Keller in the first round in '08, traded up for both Sanchez in the first and Greene in the third in '09.

Quote:

[*]Looking at your current roster, who are the up and comers? Who are future starters? Who is starting but shouldn't? Who is tradeable and their value? Who is a lifer?

Up-and-comers: Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene, Dustin Keller. There are a bunch of young players that are still improving or are already great but I feel like those are the three guys that have only scratched the surface of what they'll become.

Future starters: Shonn Greene, possibly Mike DeVito.

Starting but shouldn't: Thomas Jones, if he's on the team in 2010.

Tradeable: A lot of players are tradeable, but ones that could be mentioned in trade talks are Kerry Rhodes, Thomas Jones, maybe Bryan Thomas and Dwight Lowery.

Lifers: Darrelle Revis, David Harris, D'Brickahsaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Mark Sanchez.

Quote:

[*]During the offseason, how active in the past have you been at trading for veterans?

The team will make at least a trade a year. In '09 it was for Lito Sheppard, and eventually the trade for Braylon Edwards. In '08 it was Kris Jenkins and eventually Favre. In '07 it was Thomas Jones. In '06 it was Patrick Ramsey, John Abraham. This team is aggressive.

Quote:

[*]What has been the downfall of your team recently?

This past year it was offensive inexperience and to a lesser extent the lack of a premier pass rusher and the lack of a consistent cover guy across from Revis.

Quote:

[*]Where are your largest holes this offseason?

A pass rusher, a #2 corner, a DE, some OL depth, a slot receiver.

Quote:

[*]What are your biggest strengths this offseason?

A strong defensive unit, a strong running game and in general a young and talented offense. The Jets were a team this past year that ran the ball more than anyone else in the league, but they're built to have a strong passing attack in the near future - Mark Sanchez, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Dustin Keller, a top offensive line. The Jets can potentially be one of the best teams in the league. Not to mention they've got a young back that's set to take the lion's share of carries next year that's much more talented than the guy that took the bulk of carries for the league's #1 rush offense last year.

Quote:

[*]What will it take for you to win a championship?

Provided the team stays healthy, it will take a solid step forward by Mark Sanchez and for Braylon Edwards to be his #1 big play guy. It will help if the team can get another pass rusher and/or a decent cover guy opposite Darrelle Revis as well.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Davey

Sig courtesy of mack.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll supply this in addition to the responses above:

The underlying strength of this franchise is the FO that has been organized from people who were originally brought in by Bill Parcells and were retained and promoted to senior positions by Eric Mangini.

This management team is unique in that although they are recognized for making big splashes in FA and trading up in the draft for players like Revis and Sanchez, they also place equal emphasis on finding players from the ranks of the UDFA like Mike DeVito and Abram Elam, who have, or are currently, playing significant roles on this team. The owner, Woody Johnson, also deserves credit for not being content to be a mediocre franchise. Although he has made major mistakes in the past, he seems to be getting more football savy as the years have gone on.

What most NFL fans don't know about the Jets is that they are not the NY Yankees. The Jets have, and continue to produce, legit NFL contributors from overlooked prospects- not only for this franchise, but for teams around the league. The Jets currently have a good crop of developmental prospects in WR Marcus Henry, LB Josh Mauga, and RB Chauncey Washington.

I hate to say this as a Jet's fan, but teams around the league would probably be better off signing a guy off our practice squad than wasting a late-round pick on some of their selections. Unfortunately for the Jets, the Giants seem to be well aware of who's in town.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: