Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bubba Franks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLionsEyes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Bubba Franks! Reply with quote

Ok all this talk about the lions taking Heath Miller is retarded... screw kipper...

The lions will more than likely go hard after Franks, plus favre will prolly be leaving and that team is falling.. he will want to come to the Nfl's Rising Sun (the lions)!

top 3 picks!

Rd. 1- Either Trade back and take a roth or a OG, or even maybe James From Wisc. Falls take him i think he has a huge upside and the speed to get to the QB, or if Derrick Johnson is sitting at #10 spot snacth him. He is by far the best player in this draft if they took him they could move teddy to the middle and have johnson and BOSS playing the outside... they would have the fastest youngest and best LB core in the league! For years to come! or hell if for some god forsaken reason Braylon Falls u gotta grab him!...

Rd. 2- I say take Shazor he is the best safety in the draft and he will be there for the lions... and he is a sure tackler

Rd3. - I say take Jason Cambell or a kyle orton... Get some competition for Harrington.. force him to sucseed or fail... kinda liek the chargers did to brees in his 4th year!

Oh ya! i almost forget.. y dont the lions look into going after a Walter jones if he is Tagged or even a Chris Hovan.. he has already stated on the Best Damn Sports Show that he wants away from the Vikings and im sure detroit would look very apealling...

Just my thoughts feel free to make lots of comments!
amaru0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, GB is going to do everything they can to keep Bubba Franks. As their top free agent this year, as well as one of the top TEs in the league, they may even go so far as tagging him to keep him around, or at least raise the stakes for anyone else that wants him.

No guard is worth a first round pick, with the possible exception of David Baas or Elton Brown, but either of those would have to be very late in the 1st (I would say 25 or lower).

I still believe that we won't pick a DE in the first. There is no point, they are all so close in skill set that if we needed one, we'd find a decent pick in the second. Besides, the D Line is one of the most dominant in football, but that means nothing if the rest of the defense isn't fixed.

DJ probably is the best player in this draft, but LB is so far from being a need on this team that I don't see us taking him. Best situation is if he falls someone will give up quite a bit to jump up and take our spot. And moving Lehman to the middle would be nice, but he needs some time there, he's shown trouble seperating from blockers and can be taken out of the play too easily in a crowd.

Braylon Edwards, no way. Don't get me wrong, I think he's the best receiver in this draft and will be an NFL force for years to come, but he's a #1 guy, and we already have two of those. You can make an offense work with two top guys (Harrison/Wayne, Holt/Bruce), but it won't work with 3. Especially when you get a RB who will get 25 carries a game, there are not enough footballs to go around.

Shazor is a hell of a safety, but I don't think he's best in draft. I like Davis for his upside and current abilities. If we don't get Davis, then I want Shazor, but he's a second option, and may not even last until the 2nd round anyway.

As for a QB, I do think we will be drafting one this year. I would almost guarantee it. It depends on who we get in FA though, because if we sign a higher priced QB, we won't draft one until Day 2. If we don't pay too much on whoever we sign, we may look in Round 3 (or hopefully 2 and get Charlie Frye).

And going after tagged players is just plain dumb. With a young team, why would you give up draft picks and ridiculous salaries when you're building everything else right? I hate the entire idea of franchising or transitioning players, but until the spoiled athletes (and owners) learn the definition of loyalty, we have to deal with it. But once someone is tagged, they're generally not worth the trouble.

Besides, Hovan has been worthless the past couple years. Minnesota doesn't want him, I doubt many others will either. We may get him cheap, but don't expect much out of him. This is a guy who in 5 years has averaged 35 tackles and 3 sacks a year. He's had as many horrid years as he had good ones, and the bad ones are more recent.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pack will keep Franks. Franks has said that he wants to stay. The Only way he would leave is if the organization is being retarded and decides that he hasn't been very productive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanna point out that both of the Packers G's are FA's. This may keep the Packers from signing Franks right away while they try to focus on keeping that line together for Brett.

I think we push hard for atleast 3 FA's (TE, S, G)
I also don't expect we will trade down. I don't know for sure but someone I talk to said the Lions are focused on getting 2 starters for us within the first two rounds. Maybe I read it as a no trade down...or maybe they just weren't thinking about what they said.
raidendawg2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rushpacker_56 wrote:
The Pack will keep Franks. Franks has said that he wants to stay. The Only way he would leave is if the organization is being retarded and decides that he hasn't been very productive.

The Pack also has some cap issues to contend with.

-Raiden
tdog2k6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions don't have a 3rd rounder do they i thought they traded it last year to move up and get Jones
TheLionsEyes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have a 3rd... they traded last years 4th and 2nd for that first pick cause they moved up like 10 spots...
amaru0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we traded one of our seconds, our fourth and this years fifth to get back into the first last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: