Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

interesting stat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amaru0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: interesting stat Reply with quote

I was just playing around with some of last years team down stats, and came across some interesting observations that I don't understand. First off, Detroit was 4th in the NFL at stopping third downs, which was odd since it seemed that everytime we needed a big stop we couldn't get it. The really strange thing however, is something I dug up on my own. Looking at total first downs allowed and total 3rd down conversions, Detroit only gave up 53 first downs on 1st or 2nd down plays. The only teams with fewer were Chicago, Cleveland, Baltimore, Miami, Washington and Arizona. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh gave up 91, Philadelphia 106 and New England 138. Teams with notoriously bad defenses gave up more than anyone, like Kansas City (205) and Indy (215).

It seems to me that this would indicate we didn't give up as many big plays, so how the hell are these numbers so twisted? Oh, and before anyone comments on it, yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands right now.

Can anyone see anything useful in these numbers?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
USNinc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are intresting stats.

It seemed that we played horrible D last year under Jauron's "bend but don't break" system. I guess we did bend but didn't break as much as it seemed like.
It also shows that teams had to drive the ball and not get the quick score.

Just think that if we gave up a few less....we may have won a few more games.
KJonesISsweet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah bend but dont brak but i think we shoulds blitz a lil more than we do, maybe once a game.... lol?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37573

DE IS NOT A LIONS NEED
[ img]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1923/marcusvick5jp.png[/img]
goblue42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will blitz more when we have the secondary to merit taking the chances. We had to be more vanilla because our safties were so slow! Intersting stas and yes You do have too much time on your hands Laughing Our defense was decent most of the time until we got in some of those Joey funks and would continously go 3 and out thus tiring the defense out by time of position. Once we get our bonified safety I think the defense is going to really come at some people next year!
amaru0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with goblue on both points, I do have too much time and once we get a safety we will be much more agressive. We have speed on the ends (despite his lack of production, Kalimba can get upfield) and in our LB corps, so locking down the secondary will improve every aspect of our defense.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: