Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Derek Sherrod resumes practicing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Derek Sherrod resumes practicing Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/2344/long-road-back-for-sherrod

Quote:
Sherrod, who remains on the physically unable to perform list, returned to practice Wednesday for a non-padded workout. That began a three-week window in which he can practice without being added to the roster. At any time during that window, Sherrod can be activated, placed on injured reserve or released.

Very happy for the guy to even get the chance to be back out there, I won't be expected too much though. I'd like to stash him on IR if the coaches don't feel he's in football shape by the end of this window.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, he has had a long road, hope he can show us that potential we all hoped he had.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers
mxr124

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone mentioned in another post, a dream scenario would be a heathy O line of....

LT - Sherrod
LG - Sitton
C - Baht
RG - Lang
RT - Bulaga
jmoney

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason to think that Sherrod would beat out Bahktiari at this stage. That said, any new competition for Barclay is a good thing.
Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I is pleased Smile good luck to that man
mxr124

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmoney wrote:
There's no reason to think that Sherrod would beat out Bahktiari at this stage. That said, any new competition for Barclay is a good thing.

I would say that scenario would be more about putting your 5 best lineman on the field than about Sherrod beating out Bahtiari at LT.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxr124 wrote:
jmoney wrote:

I would say that scenario would be more about putting your 5 best lineman on the field than about Sherrod beating out Bahtiari at LT.

Not when it comes to LT play. Whoever would be the best LT starting next year will be the LT next year. It will not be about where else the best LT might fit on the line to get someone else in the line up.
ECPackers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm pretty happy about this...

i think we lucked out with blocktari.... but either way, this adds a great player to the mix. always good.
Bucks
Badgers
justo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mxr124 wrote:
As someone mentioned in another post, a dream scenario would be a heathy O line of....

LT - Sherrod
LG - Sitton
C - Baht
RG - Lang
RT - Bulaga
I think it was Palmy. I'd be beyond excited if we were able to pull that one off. Hopefully we won't have to see Sherrod in 2013, but I'm glad he's healthy.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
5thStringQB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
mxr124 wrote:

LT - Sherrod
LG - Sitton
C - Baht
RG - Lang
RT - Bulaga
I think it was Palmy. I'd be beyond excited if we were able to pull that one off. Hopefully we won't have to see Sherrod in 2013, but I'm glad he's healthy.

A scenario like that seems ideal. Assuming Newhouse isn't resigned, would Barclay then take the swing Tackle role? Tretter could be our interior swingman and GVR, Taylor and probably a draft pick (one with college Tackle experience since that's what TT looks for) fight for that final spot.

LT- Sherrod, Barclay, DraftPick
LG- Sitton, Tretter, Taylor
C- Bak, Tretter, GVR
RG- Lang, Tretter, Taylor
RT- Bulaga, Barclay, DraftPick

As Palmy stated, it sounds like Bak grades out well as a C. Knowing MM's tendency to put the best 5 out there and assuming Sherrod can make the leap, lets all take a moment to admire the genius that is TT. That line combination has more potential then we've had in years.

Makes me wonder what direction we go in the draft. IMO, another 4th round Tackle prospect with interior potential makes the most sense.
Mr.RodgersNeighborhood

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5thStringQB wrote:
justo wrote:
mxr124 wrote:

LT - Sherrod
LG - Sitton
C - Baht
RG - Lang
RT - Bulaga

A scenario like that seems ideal. Assuming Newhouse isn't resigned, would Barclay then take the swing Tackle role? Tretter could be our interior swingman and GVR, Taylor and probably a draft pick (one with college Tackle experience since that's what TT looks for) fight for that final spot.

LT- Sherrod, Barclay, DraftPick
LG- Sitton, Tretter, Taylor
C- Bak, Tretter, GVR
RG- Lang, Tretter, Taylor
RT- Bulaga, Barclay, DraftPick

As Palmy stated, it sounds like Bak grades out well as a C. Knowing MM's tendency to put the best 5 out there and assuming Sherrod can make the leap, lets all take a moment to admire the genius that is TT. That line combination has more potential then we've had in years.

Makes me wonder what direction we go in the draft. IMO, another 4th round Tackle prospect with interior potential makes the most sense.

I think we will keep Newhouse around so maybe...

LT - Sherrod, Newhouse
LG - Sitton, Tretter, Taylor
C - Bak, Tretter, GVR
RG - Lang, Tretter, Taylor
RT - Bulaga, Barclay

Sig by Justo
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody told me that he thought that the Packers plan is :
Bakhtiari-Sitton-Lang-Tretter-Bulaga with Sherrod being the swing.

I don't buy that as being the plan. Sherrod is the highest upside LT on the roster IMO. I am not sure I want Bak moved inside. Might be more valuable ouside if/when Sherrod/Bulaga goes down. Not sure how different the body development is.
squire12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much of this comes down to how well Sherrod and Bulaga come back from the injuries sustained. As of now, they are pretty big unknowns. Sherrod having not played in 2+ years and Bulaga will have missed the last 1.5 season with hip and knee injuries. Unfortunately his injuries have been mounting (ACL, hip, prior knee injury).

Certainly there will be options, but as of now, the OL has played pretty well as a unit and the weaker links being C and RT. RT is easier to upgrade with Sherrod, Bulaga, Newhouse as options. C gets tougher as no one on the roster has a great deal of experience playing that position. EDS will have a great deal more experience there and that may go a lot farther that any of us realize when putting the best 5-man unit out there going forward (whether that is in 2013 or 2014).
ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people think Sherrod can play RT though? I seem to remember alot of talking during the draft about him a "LT only" type tackle.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
mxr124 wrote:
jmoney wrote:

Not when it comes to LT play. Whoever would be the best LT starting next year will be the LT next year. It will not be about where else the best LT might fit on the line to get someone else in the line up.

I would be the first to tell you there is a good chance Bak is the Packers starting left tackle for years to come for a host of reasons. Just having a little fun with it and throwing a few things out there.

A healthy Sherrod is the most physically talented lineman of the lot. Going to be hard having that guy sit and Bak's mold is far easier to move. Bak can play any of them and grade out fair, Sherrod is clearly a tackle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: