Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Moore Scouting Report
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flowing Willow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Matt Moore Scouting Report Reply with quote

I thought this was needed. I am not just taking this from Sunday's game, but from every bit of film I've seen of him.

Positives:

He has a strong arm, he can throw it deep and deliver it with adequate zip at the second level of the defense.

He has some wheels, he can move out of the pocket and extend the play.

He has the ability to avoid the sack and scramble.

Throws a pretty deep ball, connecting more often than not.

He knows how to check the ball down, makes good decisions most of the time.

His pocket awareness is okay, he gets rid of the ball when needed.

Has a very quick release.

Good mechanics, will not throw off his back foot very often. Mostly on screens and checkdowns while under pressure.

Can execute the bootleg pass.

Negatives:

He will sail passes far too often on the short to intermediate passes, this may speak of very little arm control.

He looks jittery in the pocket, even with protection.

He doesn't have much confidence, he audibled out of a pass to the conservative call earlier this season, and he goes to his checkdown rather quickly.

He doesn't go completely through his reads (see above)

He has the wheels to extend the play, but doesn't (see above and above that)

He doesn't have much pocket awareness, he took two blindside sacks where he could have gotten away.

He doesn't throw well on the run, his arm really gets away from him.

I question his work ethic.

He doesn't take charge at the line of scrimmage, audibling, line shifts, adjustments. All of the little thing's that are the difference between a checkdown and a 20 yard completion, a 2 yard carry or a 30 yarder.

I struggle to phrase this, he doesn't really seem to be the type of guy who will bring you back from behind in the fourth quarter.

Summary: Moore is a strong armed, mobile quarterback, who makes good decisions. He will struggle with his accuracy and confidence though. His pocket presence could also stand to be improved. He won't lose you the game.

Player Comparison: Tony Romo I hate to say it, but Moore reminds me of Romo in more than one way. Both are cool guys, calm, collected, mobile, strong arms. Both occassionaly struggle with accuracy. Both let defeat and crap shrug off their shoulders, which in the NFL has to be necessary because of all the flak you'll catch, but at the same time I think both struggle with confidence and faith in their abilities. Moore can still overcome that, as he is a young guy and he has a chance to build his confidence, but I think that is what we have here.[/b]
DWillyMVP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what you said for his negatives come from the fact John Fox has dumbed down the playbook for him.
boondock

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you question his work ethic? I don't understand that one.

You have to understand that a lot of these negatives will be fixed by increased playing time. Confidence being one of those and being nervous or jittery in the pocket as well. He's basically a rookie still, with only 6 games under this belt and he's 4-2. Not bad if you ask me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of the negatives can be attributed to rust and inexperience. But time will tell. I mean, if he gets to finish out the season.

CK on the sig
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:

You have to understand that a lot of these negatives will be fixed by increased playing time. Confidence being one of those and being nervous or jittery in the pocket as well. He's basically a rookie still, with only 6 games under this belt and he's 4-2. Not bad if you ask me.

That one has me scratching my head too.

CK on the sig
boondock

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
boondock wrote:

That one has me scratching my head too.

I'm really scratching mine over that one. He's had no reports of a bad work ethic and no reports of being a bad teammate.

Let's hear it, Mr. Willow. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of that scouting report is accurate, and it was good of you to put it together. I think Moore has shown a lot to us in only 6 games as a starter. Give him time and I believe he can be just as good as Romo.

Thanks to JammerHammer21 for the sig - Let The Riv-Era Begin!
Sir_Purrr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but I'd have to say Moore's biggest problem when passing IS his mechacnics. He doesn't shift his weight to his front leg well and that causes his throws to sail. You can see it on that throw to Barnidge which was a big gainer. That throw was all arm. Yes he had pressure, but that brings me to my second point, because of his inexperience, he tends to hold on to the ball a little too long. It appears he waits for the WR to get wide open instead of timing the throw like some routes require.
rjkilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would also like to disagree with that he doesn't throw well on the run...that to me seems to be one of his strengths and a big one that jake could not give us...he extends the play and lets his receivers come back to the ball...he made multiple throws on sunday rolling away from allen and hitting smitty on the run near the sidelines....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you question work ethic? A lot of the negatives have been due to the fact Fox has made the playbook slim. The reason he may look jittery is due to him getting into the jist of the NFL, its early for him. He will get better.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:

I agree with all of that.

Most of the negatives are things that all QBs struggle with a little bit when they are young (unless your name is Peyton Manning), and should improve as he builds confidence and gets more experience. And I don't see how you can question his work ethic, unless you go to every practice.
wild style

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Matt Moore Scouting Report Reply with quote

Flowing Willow wrote:
I thought this was needed. I am not just taking this from Sunday's game, but from every bit of film I've seen of him.

Positives:

He has a strong arm, he can throw it deep and deliver it with adequate zip at the second level of the defense.

He has some wheels, he can move out of the pocket and extend the play.

He has the ability to avoid the sack and scramble.

Throws a pretty deep ball, connecting more often than not.

He knows how to check the ball down, makes good decisions most of the time.

His pocket awareness is okay, he gets rid of the ball when needed.

Has a very quick release.

Good mechanics, will not throw off his back foot very often. Mostly on screens and checkdowns while under pressure.

Can execute the bootleg pass.

Negatives:

He will sail passes far too often on the short to intermediate passes, this may speak of very little arm control.

He looks jittery in the pocket, even with protection.

He doesn't have much confidence, he audibled out of a pass to the conservative call earlier this season, and he goes to his checkdown rather quickly.

He doesn't go completely through his reads (see above)

He has the wheels to extend the play, but doesn't (see above and above that)

He doesn't have much pocket awareness, he took two blindside sacks where he could have gotten away.

He doesn't throw well on the run, his arm really gets away from him.

I question his work ethic.

He doesn't take charge at the line of scrimmage, audibling, line shifts, adjustments. All of the little thing's that are the difference between a checkdown and a 20 yard completion, a 2 yard carry or a 30 yarder.

I struggle to phrase this, he doesn't really seem to be the type of guy who will bring you back from behind in the fourth quarter.

Summary: Moore is a strong armed, mobile quarterback, who makes good decisions. He will struggle with his accuracy and confidence though. His pocket presence could also stand to be improved. He won't lose you the game.

Player Comparison: Tony Romo I hate to say it, but Moore reminds me of Romo in more than one way. Both are cool guys, calm, collected, mobile, strong arms. Both occassionaly struggle with accuracy. Both let defeat and crap shrug off their shoulders, which in the NFL has to be necessary because of all the flak you'll catch, but at the same time I think both struggle with confidence and faith in their abilities. Moore can still overcome that, as he is a young guy and he has a chance to build his confidence, but I think that is what we have here.[/b]

I could not have said it better!

But on a side note how do you have a "keep fox" avatar after the worst decision ever sticking with jake int after int afterrrrr int? Just in the last game the broadcasters got on fox like 10 time and that just in one game! For instance you have a kicker on the bench that leads the nfl in touch backs that he could have used instead of kasay orrrr the hail marry. When was the last hail marry we caught and nooo the pass in the chargers game was not a hail marry.

If a coach is smart enough to try and bench bret faver farve or how ever you spell it this moron should have been smart enough to bench jake!

Sorry when you pay a guy a million dollars a game and you cant keep him motivated except when he is on national t.v. How do you think the rest of the team looks at you? OOOO they look at you like they 6 and 8 or as bill belichick said "a team that has not won many games"!
Steve Smith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think that he should be te starter?

Me yes, I don't like Jake Delhome, I don't know much on football, here (quebec,canada), the sports is the hockey, but I think that Moore should be the starter when Delhome will be able to play, because he played 2 good game facing 2 great opponent (Minnesota and New-Englend).

I speak french, so sorry for my poor english
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Smith wrote:

Me yes, I don't like Jake Delhome, I don't know much on football, here (quebec,canada), the sports is the hockey, but I think that Moore should be the starter when Delhome will be able to play, because he played 2 good game facing 2 great opponent (Minnesota and New-Englend).

Welcome to the forum, but I must point something out...how had nobody taken the name "Steve Smith"?????
rjkilla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Steve Smith wrote:

Welcome to the forum, but I must point something out...how had nobody taken the name "Steve Smith"?????

don't let him fool you...that's the real smitty...he's always liked jake as a person but as a QB Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing i bet those long td's smitty has received every game since moore has been starting is gonna go a long way to get him more playing time this season and maybe next...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: