Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The 2010 Boston Red Sox (season's over, retooling starts)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankmoore

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: The 2010 Boston Red Sox (season's over, retooling starts) Reply with quote

Well, the 2009 season thread has run its course. It's now time to start the new thread. Let's keep all new Red Sox related discussion here.

Of course, we'll also set up links to the previous threads to that you can review what was discussed in the past.

Enjoy Sox fans.
FF Member #1031

Last edited by frankmoore on Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
NOTORIOUS RD 72

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sox fans! YANKEES fan here! Best of Luck to you this upcoming season!
playmaker8267

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow a report leaked that the Red Sox offered $90M+ to Matt Holliday before signing John Lackey. This is the closest I could find to a link, but it was reported on 98.5. My guess is that the Red Sox intentionally let it leak to stick it to Jason Bay.

Bruins // Patriots // Red Sox // Chelsea
#JDI
frankmoore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that it will surprise anyone, but Javier Lopez will no longer be pitching for the Sox. He signed a 1-year deal with the Pirates.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1219830
FF Member #1031
Darth Jay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should have moved on when he had the chance during the season. He went to the right organization if he wants to try and stay in the Majors all year.

Jayson Stark is saying that Mike Lowell is in Texas doing his physical today. PLEASE let him pass so we can move on. If not, this would be the third time they have tried and failed to trade him...

The roster as presently constituted:

C - Victor Martinez, Jason Varitek
1B - Casey Kotchman
2B - Dustin Pedroia
SS - Marco Scutero, Jed Lowrie
3B - Kevin Youkilis
OF - Jacoby Ellsbury, Jeremy Hermeida
OF - Mike Cameron
RF - JD Drew
DH - David Ortiz

Others: Tug Hulett, Aaron Bates, Josh Reddick, Nick Green

1. Josh Beckett
2. Jon Lester
3. John Lackey
4. Daisuke Matsuzaka
5. Clay Buchholz
RP - Dustin Richardson
RP - Manny Delcarmen
RP - Ramon Ramirez
RP - Hideki Okajima
RP - Daniel Bard
CL - Jon Papelbon

Others: Ramon A. Ramirez, Boof Bonser, Tim Wakefield, Scott Atchison, Robert Manuel, Fabio Castro

And according to "Follow the Padres" on Twitter, the Sox have signed RP Edwin Moreno to a minor league deal.

Looking at that list, I have to imagine they are pretty much done with pitching, and that they are probably looking for another infielder and outfielder, unless they go with Nick Green again, which is possible. I am somewhat intrigued by the thought of Aaron Bates earning a roster spot as a 1B/OF option, maybe freeing up room for another pitcher, but that's probably not likely...
frankmoore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a point of fact, Nick Green opted to become a free agent rather than be outrighted to Pawtucket.
FF Member #1031
iothar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we don't make one or two more movies I believe the season is virtually impossible to win. Trade Jacoby and Clay and land that third baseman.

Lackey was a ok signing at best. This team has no offense
bigbluefan87

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iothar wrote:
If we don't make one or two more movies I believe the season is virtually impossible to win. Trade Jacoby and Clay and land that third baseman.

what third baseman would that be?

~lago_vista on the sig/avatar
Darth Jay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone hear Peter Gammons on WEEI today? He was on for an hour and I thought it was fascinating. From memory:

- He doesn't think the Red Sox view moving Jacoby to left as a demotion, and he thinks Scott Boras is going to help them convince Jacoby it is best for his career. He talked about a conversation he had with Rickey Henderson back when he got traded to the Yankees and how he said stealing all those bases and playing center really took a toll on his body. Peter asked him if he thought about going to left, because that was why Barry Bonds was not playing center in Pittsburgh and that it really worked out for him. He said he thinks that Jacoby has the offensive ability to be better than Curtis Granderson, a lot better, and that Boras is going to understand that you'll make more money scoring 100 runs with a high OBP then you will winning a gold glove. So he thinks that Jacoby going to left will be a huge benefit for him from an offensive standpoint. Never thought of it that way.

- He said that Terry Francona really wants to give Casey Kotchman a shot at first base. He said they think he can provide elite defense and that Casey has the perfect swing for Fenway Park, his problem last year was more anxiety and the pressure of wanting to perform than anything else. He mentioned that his minor league numbers were phenomenal and fit what the Red Sox were looking for with the fact that he had more walks and extra base hits then strikeouts (and that only 11 players had done that in the last ____ years, think he said EVER but can't confirm, and two were Pujols and Pedroia). So that sounded encouraging.

- He said he doesn't think there is any way that Adrian Gonzalez gets traded before July. He said he talked to Jed Hoyer and that Hoyer laughed reading about names that had "been discussed" as going to San Diego, and that he knows that system and how Theo and company view certain players and that there hasn't been a need to discuss names right now. So essentially, anything we read about Clay and Jacoby being the guys they are looking for is all fairy tales.

He had a lot of good stuff. If I remember anything else I'll pass it along...
Cardinalsfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbluefan87 wrote:
iothar wrote:

what third baseman would that be?

Scott Rolen. Laughing just kidding

Do you see the Red Sox making another big splash? I see an arms race unfolding in the AL East.

Props to #Uno# on the sig

Cincinnati Cyclones 2009-2010 ECHL Champions

Supersuavesky wrote:
I agree with the Tebow comments. He's never been a great college player
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Jay wrote:
Did anyone hear Peter Gammons on WEEI today? He was on for an hour and I thought it was fascinating. From memory:

- He doesn't think the Red Sox view moving Jacoby to left as a demotion, and he thinks Scott Boras is going to help them convince Jacoby it is best for his career. He talked about a conversation he had with Rickey Henderson back when he got traded to the Yankees and how he said stealing all those bases and playing center really took a toll on his body. Peter asked him if he thought about going to left, because that was why Barry Bonds was not playing center in Pittsburgh and that it really worked out for him. He said he thinks that Jacoby has the offensive ability to be better than Curtis Granderson, a lot better, and that Boras is going to understand that you'll make more money scoring 100 runs with a high OBP then you will winning a gold glove. So he thinks that Jacoby going to left will be a huge benefit for him from an offensive standpoint. Never thought of it that way.

- He said that Terry Francona really wants to give Casey Kotchman a shot at first base. He said they think he can provide elite defense and that Casey has the perfect swing for Fenway Park, his problem last year was more anxiety and the pressure of wanting to perform than anything else. He mentioned that his minor league numbers were phenomenal and fit what the Red Sox were looking for with the fact that he had more walks and extra base hits then strikeouts (and that only 11 players had done that in the last ____ years, think he said EVER but can't confirm, and two were Pujols and Pedroia). So that sounded encouraging.

- He said he doesn't think there is any way that Adrian Gonzalez gets traded before July. He said he talked to Jed Hoyer and that Hoyer laughed reading about names that had "been discussed" as going to San Diego, and that he knows that system and how Theo and company view certain players and that there hasn't been a need to discuss names right now. So essentially, anything we read about Clay and Jacoby being the guys they are looking for is all fairy tales.

He had a lot of good stuff. If I remember anything else I'll pass it along...

Awesome! Thanks for that. Nice to have Gammons back on the Boston team.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
mission27

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baseball America came out with the Red Sox top-10 today:

1. Ryan Westmoreland, OF
2. Casey Kelly, RHP
3. Josh Redick, OF
4. Lars Anderson, 1B
5. Ryan Kalish, OF
6. Junichi Tazawa, RHP
7. Reymond Fuentes, OF
8. Anthony Rizzo, 1B
9. Jose Iglesias, SS
10. Derrik Gibson, MI

#JDI
playmaker8267

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't know a whole heck of a lot about Josh Reddick, but from what I've seen of him, I don't see much upside. He's the most ML-ready player on that list, but in terms of potential, Ryan Kalish and possibly Lars Anderson should be ahead of him. I'd probably put Stolmy Pimentel over Gibson as well. Not a bad list though, overall.

Bruins // Patriots // Red Sox // Chelsea
#JDI
Darth Jay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for that. Nice to have Gammons back on the Boston team.

Totally agree. He had a great quote with the Jed Hoyer thing, he goes "let's just say he knows the difference between Michael Bowden and Casey Kelly."

He also kind of laughed at the fact that there are "people" that think Kelly could be ready by the end of this year. He said he just got finished playing a split year at two positions and the Red Sox believe in gradually ramping up the IP per year over a course of time, so with him committing to pitching only, he doesn't see them allowing it to happen...
Darth Jay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

playmaker8267 wrote:
I honestly don't know a whole heck of a lot about Josh Reddick, but from what I've seen of him, I don't see much upside. He's the most ML-ready player on that list, but in terms of potential, Ryan Kalish and possibly Lars Anderson should be ahead of him. I'd probably put Stolmy Pimentel over Gibson as well. Not a bad list though, overall.

They say Reddick has a power swing, but he just seems like he's the same size as Ellsbury. They say Ellsbury has 20 HR's in him but I don't know...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86  Next
Page 1 of 86

Jump to: