Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

First Mock Offseason of 2015: New Regime, New Strategy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: First Mock Offseason of 2015: New Regime, New Strategy Reply with quote

SALARY CAP
Total Cap Number: $98 million
Estimated Salary Cap: $143 million
Projected Carry Over: $12.5 million
Estimated Cap Space: $57.5 million UNDER

ROSTER
CUTS
WR Percy Harvin - $10.5 million savings
RB Chris Johnson - $3.5 million savings ($1.75M dead)
DE/LB Jason Babin - $2.125 million savings (option declined, $125,000 dead)

RESIGN
DE Muhammad Wilkerson - 6 years, $80 million ($4.85 million cap hit)
ILB David Harris - 4 years, $25 million ($5.5 cap hit)
RB Bilal Powell - 3 years, $3 million ($975,000 cap hit)
ILB Nick Bellore - 3 years, $2.8 million ($850,000 cap hit)
LS Tanner Purdum - 3 years, $2.6 million ($850,000 cap hit)
NT Damon Harrison - RFA: 1 year, $3.3 million ($3.3 million cap hit)
S Jaiquawn Jarrett - RFA: 1 year, $2.23 million ($2.23 million cap hit)

FREE AGENCY
S Devin McCourty - 6 years, $55.5 million ($18 million guaranteed, $7.15 million cap hit)

CB Chris Culliver - 4 years, $25 million ($8 million guaranteed, $5.4 million cap hit)

OL Clint Boling - 4 years, $22 million ($6.24 million guaranteed, $4.85 million cap hit)

LB Brooks Reed - 4 years, $16 million ($3.5 million guaranteed, $3.5 million cap hit)

RB Shane Vereen - 4 years, $16 million ($3.5 million guaranteed, $3.13 million cap hit)

CB Antonio Cromartie - 2 years, $12 million ($5 million guaranteed, $6 million cap hit)

QB Case Keenum - 2 years, $2.25 million ($745,000 cap hit)

DL Da’Quan Bowers - 1 year, $745,000 ($745,000 cap hit)

Free Agency Recap wrote:
Based on what we've heard, new GM Mike Maccagnan expects to be active in free agency. This may be the case, but I still expect them to spend somewhat wisely. The only ground-breaking contract I expect is for Patriots safety Devin McCourty, who I think can be maximized in Todd Bowles defense. Pairing McCourty and Pryor would be quite a combo... Chris Culliver is one of the most underrated corners in the league and I'd expect him to start on 1st & 2nd down, but could see a lot of action in the slot... Clint Boling is another vastly underrated player who I think would be a fabulous fit for Chan Gailey's offense. He's athletic and versatile, but will focus on playing LG for the Jets... Brooks Reed is a former Texan that Mike Maccagnan is familiar with. He's naturally an OLB, but moved inside for 2014. Expect him to compete with Calvin Pace for the starting job, but is likely the heavy favorite to win that job... Shane Vereen is another interesting free agent piece that has the potential to be a Reggie Bush-like player and improve his play in a different uniform. Gailey's spread should be a great fit if he can stay healthy... Antonio Cromartie coming back "home" just seems too perfect. He has at least a year or 2 left in him and has experience with the organization and new HC Todd Bowles. As much as many may think this puts Milliner to the bench, that's not necessarily so - Cromartie, Peterson and Powers all shared 43 starts among themselves in 2014 which tells me Bowles will find ways to get these guys to compete and share snaps... Case Keenum to the Jets is intriguing. He has history with Maccagnan, but more importantly is a great fit for Gailey's offense. Don't be surprised if he's a surprise starter come week one... Da'Quan Bowers hasn't played great since his epic draft free fall, but we have to keep in mind that he's still only 24 years old. Maybe he can fill the void Leger Douzable is leaving and be a rotational DE for us.

TRADE: the New York Jets send their 7th round pick and a conditional 6th round pick in 2016 to the Philadelphia Eagles for
QB Matt Barkley
- 2 years, $1.3175 million ($612,500 cap hit)

Trade Recap wrote:
The Jets were in the running for Mike Glennon, but ultimately he was dealt to the Arizona Cardinals. Barkley isn't going to make fans forget about the current state of the position, but he's a young player who is likely to be a stable backup, but may be a sleeper in a Chan Gailey-led offense. Barkley's strengths fall in-line with what the new offense is looking for in their signal caller. He will compete with Geno Smith for the chance to start opening day.

2015 NFL DRAFT

Day 1
Quote:
New York Jets Big Board (Top 10)
1. EDGE Dante Fowler Jr.
2. WR Amari Cooper
3. QB Marcus Mariota
4. WR Kevin White
5. EDGE Randy Gregory
6. OL La’El Collins
7. EDGE Vic Beasley
8. QB Jameis Winston
9. WR DeVante Parker
10. RB Melvin Gordon

Round 1
1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Marcus Mariota, Quarterback, Oregon
2. Tennessee Titans: Leonard Williams, Defensive Line, USC
3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Dante Fowler Jr., Defensive End, Florida
TRADE: the Oakland Raiders send the 4th overall pick to the St. Louis Rams for the teams 1st round pick (10), 3rd round pick (72) and 2016 1st round pick
4. St. Louis Rams: Jameis Winston, Quarterback, Florida State
5. Washington Redskins: La'el Collins, Offensive Line, LSU

Top 5 Recap wrote:
Mariota to the Buccaneers has fizzled as of late, but I think he'll be the obvious choice for ownership. It may be easy for coaches and scouts to get behind Winston, but not so for GMs and owners. Time will tell how Mariota pans out, but he certainly has the weapons in Tampa Bay... Leonard Williams to Tennessee makes a whole lot of sense, but it's inevitable that the storyline will be less about Williams and more about Winston... Dante Fowler, Jr., currently an underrated player in the process, is considered the best player in the draft by some. He's a great fit as a LEO in Jacksonville's scheme... Big trade for the Rams whom are very much in the cross-roads right now; they have one of the most talented young rosters in football, but no consistency at the most important position in the game. It's time to draft a player that will define the Fisher-Snead led Rams. The duo has routinely taken risks on questionable character players, so I don’t think it will factor in as much as it will with other teams. St. Louis has the support structure for him to be successful, and a new face of the franchise as the team prepares for a move to LA. In a subsequent move, St. Louis finalizes a trade with Houston to send Sam Bradford to the Texans for a conditional 4th round pick in 2016... As far as the Raiders, this is business as usual. They are desperate for a receiver, but the team determines that the gap between Amari Cooper and their next 3 receiver prospects isn't super substantial... La'el Collins, quietly the best offensive lineman in the draft, lands with the Redskins. He could be used in a variety of spots, but might be best utilized as a "super" guard.

With the 6th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...
Amari Cooper, Wide Receiver, Alabama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjHOM1TW1xA
Quote:
I usually tend to disagree with the “popular pick” this early in the process, but
this one simply makes too much sense for me to go elsewhere. Cooper will be the Jets 2nd rated prospect in the draft, and while I believe Kevin White has more potential, Cooper has the highest ceiling of possibly any player in the class. Cooper has a lot of traits that can really help this team that has been void of offensive talent for decades. As far as a player comparison, he reminds me of a plus-DeAndre Hopkins, a player whom GM Mike Maccagnan pushed for when with the Texans in 2013. The Jets war room can be heard cheering from Florham Park when their 2nd rated prospect is still available at 6th overall.

Day 2
Round 2
With the 37th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...
Devin Funchess, Wide Receiver, Michigan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nQNpYdfA4M
Quote:
Oh no they didn’t. To say that our new Front Office is taking rebuilding the offense seriously becomes an understatement. Funchess has some developing to do, but has talent that cannot be taught. People have thrown out the Benjamin comparison, however I don’t see that type of downfield dominance in Funchess. That said, Funchess moves so well after the catch in short areas for someone his size that he should be a good fit for Chan Gailey’s spread. Just thinking about the possibility of a Cooper-Funchess-Amaro-Decker combination should have the Jets giddy. Brett Hundley would have been in the discussion had he lasted, but was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles in the first round.

Round 3
With the 70th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...
Cedric Ogbuehi, Offensive Line, Texas A&M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6tZpQVRuV8
Quote:
Perhaps one of my favorite value picks of last years draft was Brandon Thomas at the end of round 3, and I think that a team will “borrow” that blueprint when discussing Ogbuehi in the draft room. Cedric is a freakish talent who may have been overrated at one time, but when healthy appeared to be a top 20 talent. He injured his knee this year and it made the switch to LT that much more difficult. Still, prior to tearing his ACL many would’ve labelled him a late 1st-early 2nd based on talent alone. The Jets are in a position where both D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Breno Giacomini have uncertain futures post-2015 with the team. By taking a shot on Ogbuehi early in round 3, the team can “red-shirt” the player for his rookie year, develop him, and aim for him to start in 2016 or 2017. It’s certainly a luxury pick, but it’s an well thought out strategy that can reap plenty of benefits down the road. Garrett Grayson, a player the Jets would've strongly considered here, was drafted the pick before by the Washington Redskins.

Day 3
Round 4
With the 104th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...
Bryce Petty, Quarterback, Baylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5cchkUBAKo
Quote:
On the 3rd day, the Jets landed a quarterback. Petty is a talented player, but his age, injuries and inexperience in a pro-style offense will push him down the board. He needs a lot of work, but potential is there. The Baylor Bear is no stranger to Mike Maccagnan. When he was scouting director with the Texans, he had his contingent attend at least 4 known Baylor games in 2014, and predictably did a lot of work on him in 2013 as well. Petty is tough, has a quick release and enough physical skill to start in the NFL, but it remains to be seen how well he can develop intellectually and mechanically. Chan Gailey will be good for Petty because of the unique scheme he runs, but it’s still an entirely different game.. If it clicks quickly for him, this selection is a steal. If not, he’s Drew Stanton.

Round 5
With the 141st pick of the 2015 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select...
Max Valles, Linebacker, Virginia

Quote:
Valles is an interesting prospect who seems to have rushed a decision by entering the NFL draft with 2 years of eligibility still remaining. Only 19 years old, don’t expect much playing time for the former Cavalier right away, but will be a great project for Kacy Rodgers and Pepper Johnson.

POST-DRAFT NOTES
1. Clearly, the front office went into this offseason thinking tailor defense through free agency, build the offense through the draft. Of the Jets 5 draft picks, 4 were spent on offense. The last time the Jets drafted back-to-back receivers in the first 2 frames? 1996.

2. It pains me to see the most important position not addressed until the 4th round. Mike Maccagnan, Todd Bowles and Chan Gailey all have a history of “working with what they’ve got” which I believe is both good and bad. All of these guys have been tutored in systems that somewhat “de-emphasized” the QB position, or at least found creative ways to acquire QBs outside the top rounds in the draft. We’ll see how it all plays out, but the best we can do is hope and be patient. It’ll be an interesting camp battle between Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Case Keenum and Bryce Petty to say the least.

3. Maccagnan wants to build a sustainable roster, and I think he’s accomplished that in draft #1. I like the blend of a high floor prospect early (Cooper) and risk-reward prospects throughout the remainder of the draft (Funchess, Ogbuehi). You hit on one or two of those guys in rounds 2-5 and you’re in good shape.

Last edited by jetskid007 on Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like signing Chris Culliver, quality CB and I like his size at 6'0. Would be a good fit here.

Not a fan of spending big on a FS, unless they are truly a game changer.

Rather not re-sign HArris, let him walk. I would like to go after a younger better player in Rolando McClain, risk there but he and Davis would form a really good pair inside.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the biggest fan of spending a lot on a safety or bringing in two corners. Hate the Barkley trade. If we do trade for a QB, i'd rather trade for Glennon (which you said was unavail. which is fine) or sign a vet. Draft is fine, but I question the need for a WR in the 2nd round as well. Fine with everything else though. Solid job.

Props to JMG on the sig
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hate hit but I don't like some things about it. I see no reason why we would trade for Barkley. He's don't nothing for me to think he's with trading for. I also don't get drafting WR with our 1st 2 picks. I want to add skill on offense but I don't see that much skill with Funchess honestly. Also highly doubt Cooper is there at 6.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
I don't hate hit but I don't like some things about it. I see no reason why we would trade for Barkley. He's don't nothing for me to think he's with trading for. I also don't get drafting WR with our 1st 2 picks. I want to add skill on offense but I don't see that much skill with Funchess honestly. Also highly doubt Cooper is there at 6.

I'm not a huge Barkley proponent either - I really didn't want to even include the trade - but there was a lot of interest on Houston's end last year so I expect that Maccagnan did a lot of the scouting work. He's looked horrible at times, but it's not always as easy as that.

I look at Barkley the way I'd look at Fitzpatrick. There's a slim chance you get something out of him so you might as well pull the trigger for a 7th. If the Jets can't get a franchise signal caller in round 1, I'd rather see them exhaust every option.

As far as the other options available: Matt Moore and Brian Hoyer are (or will be) 30, Jake Locker is an injury waiting to happen, Gabbert is atrocious... I'd rather see the team take a shot on a young guy and if it doesn't work out move on.

In a perfect world we would trade for Sam Bradford or Mike Glennon, but I think Arizona will go hard for Glennon (it was confirmed by both GMs that Arizona wanted him) and I can see Houston offering up much more for Bradford than we would due to O'Brien's presence.
xenajets

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I'd like to say it was a great read and very well thought out, you clearly put effort into making it more interesting to read which was great.

I can't see how people can moan about a 7th round draft pick. I'm not a Barkley fan but for that late of pick it's certainly worth a shot. I presume in your scenario with Philly taking Hundley in the 1st they plan to sit him and start Foles? Otherwise he would be a trade target I would assume!!

Love free agency, with the secondary help and Dee and Dex returning from injuries we could have a great defensive backfield if these moves happened.

I'd love to see Percy stay though if I'm honest as you have us signing Keenum and Barkley to go along with Geno I feel we don't need another young prospect. Keep Harvin and sacrifice the 4th round pick. We could then maybe go edge rusher in the second or keep Funchess and have a stacked offense for whoever is the starter at QB. Decker, Harvin, Cooper, Kerley, Amaro and Funchess is legit for any qb imo.

All in all it was really interesting and thoroughly enjoyable reading your mock!!

Many thanks to IDOG_det on the sig
famousj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Matt Barkley trade. I think Barkley can be a better QB than he has shown in Philly. Getting Case Keenum and Bryce Petty is a bit overkill with the QB. Use some of the money to get another guard. Stealing Shane Vereen would be a blow to the Pats. I'll take that anyday. Cooper is my #1 target in the draft. Overall, a good mock with a couple adjustments.

Winter Soldiers
Slogan: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!"
Maccagnan: SPEND BABY SPEND!!!!
Mr.O

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this. Only things I'd change are Brooks Reed(Not a Fan of) and the Petty Pick(Probably use that on a RB or ILB)

Props to CL on the sig
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My logic on the QB situation is as follows: Maccagnan, Bowles, Gailey come from organizations who approach the QB position unconventionally. Gailey's QBs have been well documented, but take a look at this:

Maccagnan:
WAS - Heath Shuler (1st), Gus Frerotte (7th), Trent Green (trade), Brad Johnson (trade)
HOU - David Carr (1st), Matt Schaub (trade), Case Keenum (UDFA), Ryan Fitzpatrick (FA), Ryan Mallett (trade)

Bowles:
NYJ - Vinny Testaverde (FA)
CLE - Tim Couch (1st), Kelly Holcomb (FA), Jeff Garcia (FA)
DAL - Drew Bledsoe (FA), Tony Romo (UDFA)
MIA - Chad Pennington (FA), Chad Henne (2nd), Matt Moore (FA)
PHI - Michael Vick (FA), Nick Foles (3rd)
ARI - Carson Palmer (FA), Drew Stanton (FA)

It could mean something, it could be nothing. However, these guys learn from their predecessors. Doesn't mean they will use the same exact model, but it's hard to say. Everyone would draft a Luck or a Peyton if able, but when someone is not there are you going to reach for them? Based on their history with their respective teams, every 1st round pick was a bust (Shuler, Carr, Couch). It's a small sample, but these guys (especially Macc) have reviewed those failures countless times and how they set back their respective franchises.

With that in mind, I think they'll be forced to go the unconventional route. Try to find a QB on the trade market, late in the draft, and/or in free agency. Not everyone they acquire will make the team, but they will certainly have to earn their spot. If one of them works out, all that time and money spent on the competition becomes well worth it. If not, back to the drawing board.
Rich51

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think drafting Petty is overkill. That gives us 5 QBs when we'll probably only carry 2.

I hate the Funches pick for two reasons - first we have more pressing needs than a developmental WR/TE and second i've seen him in about 4 or 5 games and was unimpressed.

Also i wouldn't give Harris a 4 year contract. Otherwise i like the trade and the free agents. I guess the only real problem i have is the Funches pick.

Good job on the write ups
rampantjet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

famousj wrote:
I like the Matt Barkley trade. I think Barkley can be a better QB than he has shown in Philly. Getting Case Keenum and Bryce Petty is a bit overkill with the QB. Use some of the money to get another guard. Stealing Shane Vereen would be a blow to the Pats. I'll take that anyday. Cooper is my #1 target in the draft. Overall, a good mock with a couple adjustments.

I don't think anyone is a better QB on the Jets than they have shown under Chip Kelly. We would basically be trading for a crappier QB from the same draft that we got our crappy QB.

Also while i do love Cooper i don't think we need to go WR back to back in the first 2 rounds, that seems a bit crazy for a team with so many other needs.
moham-17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much love everything except going for Petty, Barkley, and Keenum. I think 1 or 2 of those would be enough.

I love the Valles pick obviously, I wish he wasn't leaving UVA, but the guy is an athletic freak who was originally recruited as a TE.

He's shown excellent progress as a relentless pass rusher over the last year. He has good awareness too, when he doesn't get to the QB he gets his hands up and swats passes like flies. And he's only going to keep getting better imo.

#FireWoodyJohsnon
Malik

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Case Keenum is a fine pick up I would happy with. Barkley is a waste of draft pick and roster spot.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than signing Keenum or trading for Barkley, would much rather us just trade a late pick to Houston for Fitzpatrick. He is the guy that Chan made look so good in Buffalo. He would be a good vet option to pair with Geno, and a rookie. Other than that, I like it. Drafting two WRs early might be overkill, but hell we need the damn talent. If we get Cooper at #6 I would be ecstatic, as he is the best WR in this draft.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 124 SACK: 6 FF: 2 INT: 0
jetskid007

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
Rather than signing Keenum or trading for Barkley, would much rather us just trade a late pick to Houston for Fitzpatrick. He is the guy that Chan made look so good in Buffalo. He would be a good vet option to pair with Geno, and a rookie. Other than that, I like it. Drafting two WRs early might be overkill, but hell we need the damn talent. If we get Cooper at #6 I would be ecstatic, as he is the best WR in this draft.

Agreed, I think we'll inquire but can't see Houston trading him even if they land Bradford because he's such good insurance for just $3.875 million.

As far as the 2 WRs - it just comes down to BPA. It's not a perfect strategy, but I wasn't going to reach on a player just because of need. Next mock maybe I'll disclose everything that goes on in round 1, but for this one I didn't want things to drag on.

I envisioned all the top pass rushers were off the board, both Melvin Gordon and Todd Gurley gone, Hundley gone, and with OL, S, CB filled during free agency we resorted to the BPA on our board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: