Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fitz or not to Fitz
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Fitz or not to Fitz Reply with quote

The 2016 draft is over, The Jets have Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, and now have drafted Christian Hackenberg at QB.

I think it would be agreed that the Jets would be a better, more competitive team if they resign Ryan Fitzpatrick. But the schedule this year by any measure is an uphill battle. Even with Fitz, the Jets are probobly staring a 7-9, 8-8 season in the face.

Knowing a playoff berth is probably less likely this season than it was the last, are the Jets really any better off in the long range resigning Fitz, much as we love him, than if they just go with Geno Smith as the starter? In the absence of a 10 million dollar QB contract, the Jets could possibly work on resigning Mo Wilk.

It's a real question I have following the weekend events, not one I have an answer for. Obviously, Hack can't see the field this year. But should the Jets not find out what they actually have in Smith and Petty before signing a stopgap QB to relatively big money in a year that will be challenging regardless?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign fitz so he can continue to mentor in this offense and cut/trade Geno. Between hack and petty being brought along slowly one of which should be able to take the reigns when fitz's time is up. love the influx of youth on both sides of the ball and I feel like the offense finally gets the draft it's needed for a decade in 2017.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
glenearl18

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-signing Wilkerson is pointless if we aren't going to use the 3 DEs at the same time (and putting Sheldon at OLB doesn't count). Correct me if I'm wrong but we didn't seem to understand how to do that last season.
glenearl18

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The veteran mentor is the most overrated thing ever (how'd all those Peyton and Brady disciples work out?). There is something called a coaching staff. Besides, Fitz hasn't shown that he understands how to read defenses.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glenearl18 wrote:
Re-signing Wilkerson is pointless if we aren't going to use the 3 DEs at the same time (and putting Sheldon at OLB doesn't count). Correct me if I'm wrong but we didn't seem to understand how to do that last season.

Since we'll be using Nickel most of the time I think you can keep all 3 at least for the next 2 years before replacing Mo or Sheldon.

I can see a lot of 5-1-5 and 3-3-5 looks going forward to be honest

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?
Crickett

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to say "With what money???" and leave.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were 7-0 against teams with 6 or less wins. We were 3-6 against teams with 7 or more wins and that includes a colts team with Luck (2-5) and a pretty beat up NE team.

This year we have 11 teams that won more than 6 games on our schedule plus improved versions of Cleveland and Miami, and a Ravens team that are too well coached to have another losing season. The other game is against a 49ers team with Kelly.

Maybe some of these teams won't be as good, KC might struggle in the beginning, Big Ben might get injured, Goff might be a bust, who knows. But with Fitz i don't think we win more than 5 or 6 games. With Geno, there is still a chance he can win a game with his arm, especially if Smith comes back and one or two of the speedy receivers like Peake or Robinson, make the team. Also, if Geno fails, I think it would be a good opportunity to see what Petty has to offer. We would let Geno walk in the off season and not owe anything. If we sign Fitz for 2 or more years we're stuck with dead money. So no, as much as I like Fitz the character, I don't want him back as starting QB.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich51 wrote:
We were 7-0 against teams with 6 or less wins. We were 3-6 against teams with 7 or more wins and that includes a colts team with Luck (2-5) and a pretty beat up NE team.

This year we have 11 teams that won more than 6 games on our schedule plus improved versions of Cleveland and Miami, and a Ravens team that are too well coached to have another losing season. The other game is against a 49ers team with Kelly.

Maybe some of these teams won't be as good, KC might struggle in the beginning, Big Ben might get injured, Goff might be a bust, who knows. But with Fitz i don't think we win more than 5 or 6 games. With Geno, there is still a chance he can win a game with his arm, especially if Smith comes back and one or two of the speedy receivers like Peake or Robinson, make the team. Also, if Geno fails, I think it would be a good opportunity to see what Petty has to offer. We would let Geno walk in the off season and not owe anything. If we sign Fitz for 2 or more years we're stuck with dead money. So no, as much as I like Fitz the character, I don't want him back as starting QB.

I AGREE, I don't see the point of bringing him back. We know what Fitz can do & we no what he can't do. Time to give the young kids on the roster a chance to show what they have.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to break it some of you but we aren't a super bowl team this year. I don't think we're a playoff team as well. I say these 2 things to start this out bc bringing Gitz back is a move for a win now team. Last year was his ceiling. He's a year older and is very limited. A team trying to build a franchise shouldn't be doing that by overpaying a 34yr old average qb. We have like 1mill in cap space and it'd cost around 10mill I'm sure to bring him back. Meaning we have to create 9mill in cap space to bring him back. Which means restructures (which hurts our cap going forward) or cutting players. These moves IMO are ok if it's for a great talent, but Fitz is an average talent that was just out in a great situation for any qb.

That being said, I'm not so naive to think that right away Geno, Petty or Hackenberg can step right in and play as good as Fitz did last year. But they cost barely anything between the 3 of them combined and all have a higher ceiling that what there's are now. It also can allow us to open up the playbook more bc nine of them have limited arm strength. Allowing deep threats to thrive.
Malik

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glenearl18 wrote:
The veteran mentor is the most overrated thing ever (how'd all those Peyton and Brady disciples work out?). There is something called a coaching staff. Besides, Fitz hasn't shown that he understands how to read defenses.

This time 1 million. No one in the NFL is sitting back and taking someone under their wing to show them the ropes. If want Christian to have a mentor just call up Chad and give him a paycheck to do it.
jetfuel

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I will no longer predict what the records are going to be. There are too many factors to see if we are a playoff team or not. You can't go by last years teams because they have all changed from coaching to players. Then you have to factor in injuries during the year and who even thought that the Panthers were going to be that good because most people had Ron Rivera being fired the year before.

I think most QB can be successful in Chan O. The O is very simple and I do think Petty or Hack could start sooner than later. I still would like to see Fitz start and cut Geno. I think he is poison for young QB. His leadership skills are poor and most guys on them have no respect for him. The jets should carry 3 QB on the roster because if one of them is placed on the PS another team will pick them up.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetfuel wrote:
First off I will no longer predict what the records are going to be. There are too many factors to see if we are a playoff team or not. You can't go by last years teams because they have all changed from coaching to players. Then you have to factor in injuries during the year and who even thought that the Panthers were going to be that good because most people had Ron Rivera being fired the year before.

I think most QB can be successful in Chan O. The O is very simple and I do think Petty or Hack could start sooner than later. I still would like to see Fitz start and cut Geno. I think he is poison for young QB. His leadership skills are poor and most guys on them have no respect for him. The jets should carry 3 QB on the roster because if one of them is placed on the PS another team will pick them up.

What happens if we bring Fitz back for two years, and after two years we find out that hack, Petty, & Geno are not the answer. The only way we are going to find out if the three young kids are our future QB is for the best of the three to play now. Bring Fitz back can only set the Jets back another two or three years. What makes you think Geno is poison for the other two QB's.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetfuel wrote:

I don't see us getting rid of Petty or Hack obviously and I agree with you on we should keep 3, but none on the PS. Meaning that we just roll with Geno as the starter and Petty is next man up unless Hack beats him out or we resign Fitz and we try and trade Geno. I'll take the 2nd plan all day, Geno is still I believe only 24, its time to give him a shot we a QB friendly system and talented skill position players around him.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickett wrote:

Well since you seem to know everything about the Jets based on the posts I've read from you I'm surprised you couldn't figure out how easily they can find another 7-8M to bring in Fitz. Please don't come back now.

I've always been on the let Fitz walk side because with the schedule he's not getting us to the playoffs so it's a waste to start him. Give Geno his last shot before dumping him without knowing. If he bombs let Petty start the last few games of the year and go into 2017 with a Petty/Hack/vet competition.

If Geno bombs in what would be his first good situation of his career with a year to learn now then at least you know he's not the answer but if you give up on him now then he's never actually had a chance.

I'd much rather watch an up and down Geno season than watch defenses pack the box on Fitz. I said it before if Fitz starts he's going to get beat down early in the year facing some of the toughest defenses in the league and we'll be calling for a QB change by week 5 or 6.

There's no reason to have Fitz dink and dunk his way to a 6-7 win season, lets see what we got in Geno.

Props to Mack on the sig
doumeyer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
Crickett wrote:

Well since you seem to know everything about the Jets based on the posts I've read from you I'm surprised you couldn't figure out how easily they can find another 7-8M to bring in Fitz. Please don't come back now.

I've always been on the let Fitz walk side because with the schedule he's not getting us to the playoffs so it's a waste to start him. Give Geno his last shot before dumping him without knowing. If he bombs let Petty start the last few games of the year and go into 2017 with a Petty/Hack/vet competition.

If Geno bombs in what would be his first good situation of his career with a year to learn now then at least you know he's not the answer but if you give up on him now then he's never actually had a chance.

I'd much rather watch an up and down Geno season than watch defenses pack the box on Fitz. I said it before if Fitz starts he's going to get beat down early in the year facing some of the toughest defenses in the league and we'll be calling for a QB change by week 5 or 6.

There's no reason to have Fitz dink and dunk his way to a 6-7 win season, lets see what we got in Geno.

Outstand post, I agree 100%

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: