Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post Draft: Behind the Curtain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Post Draft: Behind the Curtain Reply with quote

As the dust settles, more and more info about what was happening behind closed doors will come out. Here are a few:

Laremy Tunsil was a top 3 player on the Jets board (1. Goff, 2. Tunsil, 3. Ramsey) and tried to trade up for him, but we were only willing to give up 2017 draft picks. Apparently a deal never came close to happening.
After Tunsil was off the board, Darron Lee was very much our next best player available. While we can't speculate exactly how high, he had to be top 14 at least (since Tunsil was selected 13th). We attempted to deal with Detroit, thinking that Atlanta would select him. Once Atlanta passed, the Jets felt comfortable that he would slide to us. According to the agents, Ryan Kelly to IND and Shaq Lawson or Kevin Dodd to Buffalo were the two worst kept secrets in the league.
Dallas offered us their 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up for Paxton Lynch, but Maccagnan wanted to swap 4th's as well. Dallas declined, thinking at least one team would take their deal before another team would consider moving up. Ultimately, teams between 21-26 either were locked onto players or because of the value of a 5th year option (Seattle). What's crazy about this is that I projected this trade back in January and had us selecting Hackenberg at 34. Needless to say, I would be championing this for years if it really turned out that way (also note that I had both Hackenberg and Jenkins landing with us in that draft Very Happy)
Hackenberg was the 3rd QB on the board and apparently was a top 40 player. Make no mistake, they were certainly planning/hoping he would be there at 51 and Pennington making the selection was no mistake. The Jets made calls to trade up, but it became clear before the draft that the only team who would seriously consider taking him was Buffalo. After Buffalo took Ragland they felt comfortable that he would fall to 51. They were blindsided when Houston traded up and there were real concerns (which Maccagnan confirmed) that Houston was going to take him. They were kicking themselves for not making a move, but once they got word it was Nick Martin there was a sigh of relief.
Hackenberg absolutely would not have made it past pick 65 in round 3. Washington was interested, but apparently the Patriots and Browns were the likely landing spots if he were still available.
NewAge

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tunsil aside, it really sounds like we ended up with the guys we were hoping to land. We'll see how it plays out obviously, but I don't think Maccagnan could be any happier right now with how everything played out. This is what they wanted and the chips fell into place.
BlaZeN37

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewAge wrote:
Tunsil aside, it really sounds like we ended up with the guys we were hoping to land. We'll see how it plays out obviously, but I don't think Maccagnan could be any happier right now with how everything played out. This is what they wanted and the chips fell into place.

Exactly...

BlaZeN37 wrote:
I too think the draft went according to plan for Macc & Co. The Jets have win now pieces on offense to stay competitive while they develop a QB. This draft was about getting that QB, then getting the developmental pieces on defense needed to keep it successful for a sustained period of time. Next year the Jets have a ton of cap space and extra picks from free agent compensation. I'm sure they saw this year as an opportunity to finish equipping the defense with linebackers that help round out Bowles' scheme (considering that another versatile passing rushing/edge setting OLB & a sideline to sideline/3 down coverage ILB was all his defense was missing). Macc can then turn his focus on the offense next year by using cap space to fill holes along the offensive line, using the draft for weapons they can develop. Those prospects can then be devolped behind Marsh/Forte/Decker for 1-2 years, growing with a young QB while not being heavily relied on for a few years. Like Jetskid007 touched on, if any of them do not develop properly Maccagnan can use free agency the following year to keep talent around his QB.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaZeN37 wrote:
NewAge wrote:

Exactly...

BlaZeN37 wrote:
I too think the draft went according to plan for Macc & Co. The Jets have win now pieces on offense to stay competitive while they develop a QB. This draft was about getting that QB, then getting the developmental pieces on defense needed to keep it successful for a sustained period of time. Next year the Jets have a ton of cap space and extra picks from free agent compensation. I'm sure they saw this year as an opportunity to finish equipping the defense with linebackers that help round out Bowles' scheme (considering that another versatile passing rushing/edge setting OLB & a sideline to sideline/3 down coverage ILB was all his defense was missing). Macc can then turn his focus on the offense next year by using cap space to fill holes along the offensive line, using the draft for weapons they can develop. Those prospects can then be devolped behind Marsh/Forte/Decker for 1-2 years, growing with a young QB while not being heavily relied on for a few years. Like Jetskid007 touched on, if any of them do not develop properly Maccagnan can use free agency the following year to keep talent around his QB.

Exactly. Maccagnan doesn't like to give out too much to the media, but if you keep a close eye on the transactions and some of the things he does say, you can see that there is an organized and structured plan.
Abe56

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxton Lynch was never close to an option for us, had a 3rd/4th round grade on him, according to Manish Mehta

Jets, Knicks, Buckeyes
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Jerry Jones is kicking himself over not swapping a 4th Round pick Laughing

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
Dak is a stud Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right spot for this post, but it's as good as any.

I get the feeling from this management group that they truly work together and are on the same page as in the direction that this team should be moving.

Are there any stories or indication that this is indeed true?

The reason I get this feeling is watching how they have navigated the past two drafts. I don't follow college ball at all, but from what I have read on the prospects two years in a row is that we either draft high ceiling, or high character/motor guys. Ones that also seem to fit the system that Bowles wants to coach.

For the first time in a while I actually believe that this Team is lead by a group that has a vision greater than next season. This excites me so much as a fan as I believe that is how continued success is achieved.

The last step for me to truly believe in this group is to see us develop our own talent. Something that was lost in the Ryan era. From the picks it looks like Mac has given Bowles the players to do so. Now it is up to the coaching staff to deliver. (I am really hoping to see this next year, and a reason our offseason was on the quite side)

If we start to see 2nd, 3rd and 4th year players moving into more prominent roles over the next two years. I believe this management group will bring the JETS sustained success.

I am genially interested if anyone has heard anything to this effect on our management group.
NewAge

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:
Dak is a stud Laughing

That was their later fourth round pick. I assume Mac wanted pick 101.
TheChad

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff.

And well done on the Hackenberg and Jenkins predictions. Not a bad effort at all.

I'm glad we didn't trade out of round 1. Personally I just never like the idea, the same way I don't like trading future 1sts. I just think it's necessary to take one top-tier (as much as possible) talent every year.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Post Draft: Behind the Curtain Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
As the dust settles, more and more info about what was happening behind closed doors will come out. Here are a few:

Laremy Tunsil was a top 3 player on the Jets board (1. Goff, 2. Tunsil, 3. Ramsey) and tried to trade up for him, but we were only willing to give up 2017 draft picks. Apparently a deal never came close to happening.
After Tunsil was off the board, Darron Lee was very much our next best player available. While we can't speculate exactly how high, he had to be top 14 at least (since Tunsil was selected 13th). We attempted to deal with Detroit, thinking that Atlanta would select him. Once Atlanta passed, the Jets felt comfortable that he would slide to us. According to the agents, Ryan Kelly to IND and Shaq Lawson or Kevin Dodd to Buffalo were the two worst kept secrets in the league.
Dallas offered us their 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up for Paxton Lynch, but Maccagnan wanted to swap 4th's as well. Dallas declined, thinking at least one team would take their deal before another team would consider moving up. Ultimately, teams between 21-26 either were locked onto players or because of the value of a 5th year option (Seattle). What's crazy about this is that I projected this trade back in January and had us selecting Hackenberg at 34. Needless to say, I would be championing this for years if it really turned out that way (also note that I had both Hackenberg and Jenkins landing with us in that draft Very Happy)
Hackenberg was the 3rd QB on the board and apparently was a top 40 player. Make no mistake, they were certainly planning/hoping he would be there at 51 and Pennington making the selection was no mistake. The Jets made calls to trade up, but it became clear before the draft that the only team who would seriously consider taking him was Buffalo. After Buffalo took Ragland they felt comfortable that he would fall to 51. They were blindsided when Houston traded up and there were real concerns (which Maccagnan confirmed) that Houston was going to take him. They were kicking themselves for not making a move, but once they got word it was Nick Martin there was a sigh of relief.
Hackenberg absolutely would not have made it past pick 65 in round 3. Washington was interested, but apparently the Patriots and Browns were the likely landing spots if he were still available.

I just mention it two day ago that somebody on the board pick Hackenberg in the second round and I didn't remember who. I didn't realize it was you, nice job.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Macc said if he considered anyone else besides Lee at 20?
jetskid007

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
Has Macc said if he considered anyone else besides Lee at 20?

It was either Lee or trade. For all the receiver talk, it was clearly just smoke to try and generate interest in the pick. Macc mentioned Shaq, who went to the Bills, but it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Rex would take him if he was there and I'm almost 99% certain we had Lee higher on our board.

I really hope Lee ends up the best LB in this class. If Myles Jack lives up to expectations and has a healthy career, declining the Cowboy's trade will hurt.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: