Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 13 GDT : Raiders @ Steelers : Return of the Rivalry!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Week 13 GDT : Raiders @ Steelers : Return of the Rivalry! Reply with quote

@

Week 13! Raiders vs Steelers

Field of Battle

Team Records
Pittsburgh Steelers : 6-5. Currently 3rd in AFC North, 8th in AFC

Oakland Raiders L 3-8. Currently T-3rd in AFC West, 15th in AFC

Week 13 Results

Steelers : Lost to Ravens 20-17 in OT on Sunday Night Football

Raiders : Lost to Cowboys 24-7 on Thanksgiving Day

Key Players missing this weeks match-up

Pittsburgh - Troy Polamalu (Injury)

Oakland - Thomas Howard (Disciplinary Issues)

Key Match-up to watch for

Santonio Holmes vs Nnmadi Asomugha.

Holmes is currently 9th in total receiving yards in the NFL. Asomugha is argued to be the best CB in the NFL. Could be an interesting one on one match-up.

Interesting Notes

Pittsburgh looks to snap it's 3 games losing streak this week with a victory over Rival Oakland.

Oakland looks to get it's second win in as many tries against the Steelers. Oakland won the last game between the two after returning two INT's for a Touchdown in a 20-13 Win in Oakland back in 2006.

IT'S DO FOR DIE BOYS! LETS BEAT THE RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!
SG3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah hopefully we can look good but I'm not holding my breath. KC was supposed to be over by half time and we lost.

For everyone thinking we're going to scrub Oakland IMO they have more talent than KC does.
Irish 11

Most Valuable Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing that happens with this team would surprise me anymore.
SG3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish 11 wrote:
Nothing that happens with this team would surprise me anymore.

That basically sums up how I feel as well.
bbelan2343

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's the GDT we have been waiting for. Very Happy

I would have competed with you SS29 on who would get the thread up earlier, but I had to work late, followed with a bottle of Makers Mark waiting on me.. Long day.

bbelan2343 wrote:
When playing with concussions, individual freedom to making a playing decision doesn't apply anymore. He will be healthy when he gets on the field. Medical clearance has become an absolute must when dealing with concussions. The NFL has become very rigorous with the medical attention surrounding head injuries. If/when Ben gets that medical clearance, he's an absolute must to get back as the leader of this football team. He needs to be at the helm when this team makes their playoff push.

For those interested, here's another link and a bit more information on the NFL restricting players on early returns from concussions.
Morons at the dollar store are selling dinosaurs for a buck

Let's go Pirates!!
shanko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for filling in for me.

Sorry.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shanko wrote:
Thanks for filling in for me.

Sorry.

No worries. I got your back Cool

bbelan2343 wrote:
There's the GDT we have been waiting for. Very Happy

I would have competed with you SS29 on who would get the thread up earlier, but I had to work late, followed with a bottle of Makers Mark waiting on me.. Long day.

Would you have over-achieved when making it like I did? Laughing

As for Thomas Howard, for those who havn't heard, he was BENCHED for poor play. Has he really been THAT bad?
SilverNBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and hopefully no injuries for you guys as you start to make your playoff run.

The Raiders are as bad as advertised, but some weeks they decide to show up and play like an NFL team (Eagles, Bengals). Hopefully for Raider fans, this is one of those weeks.

Expect Mendenhall to have a big day.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverNBlackFan wrote:
Good luck and hopefully no injuries for you guys as you start to make your playoff run.

The Raiders are as bad as advertised, but some weeks they decide to show up and play like an NFL team (Eagles, Bengals). Hopefully for Raider fans, this is one of those weeks.

Expect Mendenhall to have a big day.

Luckily for you, this season we dont always play like an NFL team, so rest assured, you have a shot.
spush

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some stats to have fun with, from a reliable source

Quote:
*The Steelers are 28th in the league in interception %, picking off only 2% of opponents passes. Buffalo is tops at 5.7%
*The Steelers are dead last in 'Special Teams Defense' allowing .7 TD's per game via ST's and offense. Three teams have allowed 0 return scores all year vs the Steelers 8.
*The Steelers have both the fewest touchbacks on kickoffs (Reed) and the fewest touchbacks allowed (Logan) in the NFL..

*Arians air it out offense attempts the 15th most passes per game and is 16th in passing play percentage, yet is 8th in passing yards per game, 5th in passing first downs per game, and 6th in passing TD percentage.
*Steelers offense ranks 3rd in Time of Possession.
*Arians abandon the run offense is 12th in rushing attempts per game with 27.5 attempts a game and ranks 17th in rushing play percentage. However they rank only 15th in rushing yards per game, 16th in rushing first downs, and 17th in yards per attempt.
(Seems as though the Steelers have an average balance of run and pass plays per the league averages, however they are much more efficient in the passing game than other teams, and less efficient in the run game. So I rise the question again, do the Steelers need to run it more, or run it better? They already are well above the line in the passing game.)

*Steelers run D is tops in yards against and yards per attempt allowed. They also face the 2nd fewest rushing attempts per game.
*Steelers D is 4th in Red Zone scoring %
*Steelers D is 3rd in sack percentage
*Steelers D is 6th in yards per pass attempt allowed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiders vs Steelers Preview

Quote:
"I just think we need to get that taste of winning back," said Ward, tied for sixth in the league in receptions (66) and seventh in yards (845). "In the course of losing three games in a row, we just need to get back on a winning track. Winning solves everything."

Roethlisberger practiced fully Wednesday and is expected to face the Raiders (3-Cool, though he was expected to play against the Ravens until the team changed course late last week.

All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu, meanwhile, is likely to miss a third straight game with a sprained PCL in his left knee after sitting out four games earlier because of a sprained MCL. The Steelers are 4-1 when he plays.

Let's go Pirates!!
bbelan2343

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hearing from Coach Mike Tomlin

Quote:
Q. Is there some chain of command, or can everybody get in your ear during a game?

A. I control who I communicate with. I have three lines on my headset offense, defense and kicking. Generally, Im in fluid communication with the unit thats on the ball, on get-off downs or anticipation downs, after I get the call of the next play, I may click over and talk to the unit that could potentially take the field. Same thing occurs with regards to the kicking game. On third downs, there could be communication with all three phases in a span of 45 seconds to a minute.

Taking a playoff approach

Brett Keisel wrote:
Weve kind of dug ourselves in this situation, said defensive end Brett Keisel. Its like a playoff atmosphere where we have to win games. Its not like we are saying we have to sweep out. We are just taking it one game at a time. We have to win this week.

Ward makes a guarantee

Quote:
He did not guarantee a victory; he guaranteed the season would be over if they lose.

"The playoffs officially begin for us this week. You lose, we're pretty much out of it," Ward stated. "We know what's at stake. Our playoff season begins this weekend. This team knows if we lose we're pretty much out of it."

Let's go Pirates!!
bbelan2343

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frustration rampant in Pittsburgh

Quote:
This is the time of year when Pittsburgh usually thrives. But last week's overtime loss to the rival Baltimore Ravens marked the Steelers' first three-game losing streak in November in nine years. It's also the first time Pittsburgh dropped three in a row under third-year head coach Mike Tomlin.

Now, with their season on the brink, the Steelers likely must go 4-1 in the final five games to extend their season. If the Steelers fail to make the playoffs, it would be one of the biggest disappointments for this franchise in recent memory.
Quote:
Chemistry issues?

Losing has the potential to separate any team -- even a close-knit group such as the Steelers.

Pittsburgh is a veteran club with solid leadership that's been together for several years. But recently there have been cracks in the foundation.

The most recent was Hines Ward's criticism of fellow captain Ben Roethlisberger. That issue arose when Roethlisberger (concussion) was pulled from the starting lineup one day before the Week 12 loss to Baltimore. Ward couldn't keep his frustrations in house and publicly expressed his disappointment to the media with his starting quarterback for not playing.
Quote:
Winning cures

Despite all the frustration, anger and disappointment, the Steelers believe they know the solution.

According to Tomlin, getting back on the winning track will mask the team's recent issues.

Let's go Pirates!!
coleman397

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really random question...

On punt returns, if the punting team touches the ball, the receiving team has immunity of trying to advance the ball w/o losing possession due to a fumble. That happened in last weeks game when James Harrison went to advance the ball.

Okay, my question is this: If a player knows he can try to advance the ball w/o losing possession, can someone slide in there and just kick the ball (or even push the ball) towards one of his teammates to advance? Is there a rule against doing that?
StillersFury

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.steelerfury.com/content/nine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: