Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Namaan Roosevelt - WR - Buffalo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birds_I_View

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Namaan Roosevelt - WR - Buffalo Reply with quote

A guy I've been keeping an eye on for a while now. I'm a big fan of players who produce at a consistently high level throughout their college careers, regardless of where they go to school, and Roosevelt certainly falls into this category. People will point to his ~4.6 speed and 6'0 190 lbs frame and say he's "too slow" and "too small" to play in the NFL. I'll counter by saying such drivel has been spouted about countless players who went on to have successful NFL careers, so don't short-change the guy by ending the debate right there. Roosevelt is an intuitive player who makes up for his measurable shortcomings by being a student of the game (noted for his intellect and voracious work ethic), who focuses on improving his mastery of the fundamental parts of the WR position. He is lauded for his smooth and precise route-running ability, which complement his impeccable body control, soft hands, and innate nose for the football. Roosevelt just seems like a cerebral, crafty player who'll figure out a way to succeed at the NFL level. In my opinion, at least.

What is the consensus opinion around here? Does anyone else envision him as a mid-round steal, like I do? Thanks in advance for the input.
c0insnap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top five receiver, IMO... maybe higher depending on how he fares in All-Star games and at the combine.

Beast
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him more then most. He isn't that slow, I think he'll run in the low 4.5's, which is fine. Obviously he doesn't have elite speed, and overall he lacks the measurables that would make him a coveted prospect, but there are a lot of things to like about him. On the field he kind of reminds me of a slightly slower Santonio Holmes. He is a very good route runner, and he knows how to get open, he has very nice agility, and he has solid hands. I really like his elusiveness, and short-area quickness in the open field. His knee injury will have plenty of time to heal for him to perform well during workouts, and I think he's a top-12 WR prospect in this class. He probably won't go higher than the mid 3rd round, but he's a guy I am keeping my eye on.

I am with you and I think that he could end up being a mid-round steal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see him actually being drafted by the Buffalo Bills or perhaps the Green Bay Packers.

I dont care what the hell his 40 time is. He is runs crisp routes with speed coming out of them. He has a terrific set of hands and despite his diminutive stature he routinely goes over the middle.

He is very elusive and his strength is pretty underrated.

I dont want to hear the argument that the level of talent he played against was weak, either. He played against some good BCS schools like Auburn, Missouri, Pittsburgh...and he fared VERY WELL, despite his team succumbing to the pressure of playing against that talent.

Against BCS schools or ranked teams...

Senior
vs Pittsburgh 6 157 2 tds

Junior
@ Missouri 9 87 0
vs Ball State (when they were ranked top 15) 10 116 3
Uconn 8 90 0 (i think he had 90 of the 150 total yards for Buff)

Sophomore
@ Penn State 7 117 0
@ Syracuse 10 91

Freshman
@ Auburn KR Td
@ Wisconsin 90 receiving yards

He plays his best in the when the competition is at its toughest. I dont want to hear the competition argument.

The play this year that sold me on Naaman was when caught the ball in space over the middle with seconds before half and burst up the middle of field SPLITTING both of the safeties.

Dave Wannstedt said Roosevelt is "as talented a receiver as we will face all year long," noteworthy considering the Panthers played projected second-round picks Mardy Gilyard of Cincinnati and Golden Tate of Notre Dame, along with highly regarded Mike Williams of Syracuse and Tate's teammate, Michael Floyd.

Here is Naaman's highlight video.

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/untouchabulls/

You should wait for it to buffer.

Those are only highlights from his Frosh-Junior years.

Last edited by don4593 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
don4593

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am told that the Knee injury suffered by Naaman is not serious whatsoever. Infact that he could have played the week of the surgery, but the coaching staff didnt want him to reinjure it.
sfreedadon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c0insnap wrote:
Top five receiver, IMO... maybe higher depending on how he fares in All-Star games and at the combine.

Really?

I dont see him being any better than Jarrett Dillard.
don4593

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfreedadon wrote:
c0insnap wrote:

Really?

Jarrett Dilliard is going to make a decent pro. But he is much quicker, explosive than Dilliard. Rice plays more of a spread offense while Buffalo's, under Drew Willy was more NFL style, this year its been more much conventional offense with big packages to run the ball.
c0insnap

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfreedadon wrote:
c0insnap wrote:

Really?

Very talented football player... extremely natural, but the timed speed and level of competition will scare people away.

Beast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: