Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs leading candidates to get Surtain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T-RICH49

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Chiefs leading candidates to get Surtain Reply with quote

I read in the Miami Herald that we were the leaders in the Patrick Surtain sweepstakes

RIP DT 1/1/67 - 2/8/00 Always Buckle Up
AngryChiefsFan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad deal, but I don't think Surtain is worth a 2nd round pick when Lucas, Rolle, Smoot, etc are available.
KCCHIEFS_58

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be a hell of a deal
kcsteaks23

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please pardon me but what would we draft with our second round pick ruud maybe perkins or washington, if we are lucky mccfadden or browner we are not wasting our 2nd round pick if we do this we are using our second round pick on surtain if surtain was in the draft would he fall to the second round at pick 46 i think not!

surtain is waaaaaaay better than henry and lucas and quite a bit better than smoot but even with this we could still sign smoot or henry or lucas and hartwell/ bell in f/a and draft merriman

our d would look like this

de's hicks and allen
dt's sims and siavii
olb's merriman and fujita/fox/barber(if he returns to full heatlth)
mlb hartwell/ bell
cb's surtain smoot/henry/lucas (whichever one we signed)
s woods and wesley

not altogether horrible

Calvert28 wrote:
He (Emmit Smith) was to this sport what Wyane Gretsky was to the NHL

LMAO
2TP3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surtain would be a huge addition to our D, you can only get better and Surtain is alot better.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angry Chiefs Fan: I am honestly in shock when I read how you could care less for Surtain.

Right now the expected trade is:
Cheifs get: Patrick Surtain
Dolphins get: 2005 2nd Rounder (#46), 2006 4th Rounder.

I don't think that you can bring down the value of Surtain just because you have some other corners in FA. The Chiefs need a CB bad now that the Raiders have signed Porter and Moss. I don't think you guys understand the impact that Surtain would have on your Defense. You cannot appreciate a shut-down corner until you lose one.
FF Member #1000
KCCHIEFS_58

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

out of all the DB s available Surtain is probably the best, which is n joke this guy is crazy good and has better stats than everyone else on the FA list. This would be one hell of a deal for the chiefs and a huge step i the right direction. I think carl is also going to try to get smoot or Lucas as well. This secondary could be really good if the chiefs can manage there money right.
kml4ksu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Chiefs should makes this deal (hopefully Miami agrees) this week. Miami is out 300,000 and it goes against their 2005 cap if Surtain is on their team this Wednesday so that might help speed up their decision making. We also sign a Free agent MLB (Hartwell)

If we still have cap room we then sign a free agent corner, move Warfield to starting FS in our base set. In Nickel he moves outside and Woods or Harts plays safety. We trade down in round 1 if Derrick Johnson is not available and regain our #2. We then draft Burnett with our #1 pick. We still have a #2 from the trade down to pick up a really good WR (maybe someone like Chris Henry or Reggie Brown from Georgia from West Virginia.

If we can't get our #2 pick back I would like to see the Chiefs take Larry Brackins in round 4 iif he is still their. This is a big/fast guy who was the #1 JuCo player in the nation this past year. When He could not get into Florida State he decide to go PRO. He has the potential to be another STAR receiver in the TO, Randy Moss mold.
Mongo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason the Chiefs should NOT do this deal is if Samari Rolle can be gotten. Not because he is that much better, but because he is free. The Chiefs have contacted Rolle, according to John Clayton. Gunny loves him from his Titan days, which should count for something.

However, if rumors that Washington is offering $15M in bonus are true, you can bet the Chiefs will drop out of the bidding.

I hate giving up that R2, but we need this guy. We won't get Woodson and Law won't be much cheaper. Plus he's injured.

Coincidentally, the Chiefs aren't thrilled will Surtain's contract status either. I suspect, in true Chiefs fashion, we will settle for a cheaper, less effective, solution. I hope I'm wrong.
AngryChiefsFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Surtain is the way we decide to upgrade our pass defense, I am all for it. I just think that Smoot, Rolle, Lucas are comparable who do not require a draft pick. I think our secondary is so weak we require more than one player. I'd like to sign a free agent and then draft a Marlin Jackson or Corey Webster in round two. But if they decide Surtain is the key to putting our defense over the top, I will praise them for finally doing something. Maybe this trade will pan out as well as the Willie Roaf one.

And any team that trades for Surtain is going to demand a contract extension that lessons the cap hit. That's just a standard part of any trade.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: