You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trade scenarios involving Burress.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azazaz7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Trade scenarios involving Burress. Reply with quote

ESPN are speculating that the Steelers may franchise Burress with the intention of trading him. It got me thinking about a possible blockbuster deal involving a division rival.

The Bengals are known to be in the market for a WR. The Steelers may need a RB should Bettis retire because Staleys fitness can't be relied upon. What I suggest is that the Steelers tag Burress and the Bengals tag Rudi Johnson. Then the Steelers and Bengals broker a deal whereby Johnson moves to Pittsburgh and Burress moves to Cincinnati. Johnson can be the feature back on a top team and Burress can team with Chad Johnson to give the Bengals a great WR duo. I think both teams gain from this trade.

Another scenario is a 3 way trade involving the Chargers, Vikings and Steelers. The Chargers send the #12 and #28 picks to the Vikings for Randy Moss. In turn the Vikings send the #28 pick (which they got from the Chargers) to the Steelers for Plaxico Burress. In this scenario the Chargers would add the most exciting WR to the most exciting RB in the league. The Vikings would still have a big WR and would also have 2 1st rounders to improve their defense. More importantly, the Steelers with 2 1st round picks (#28 and #30) would have a good chance of getting two from Elton Brown, David Baas, Carlos Rogers, Brandon Browner or Marlin Jackson. I believe all 3 teams would benefit from this trade also.

Out of these scenarios, I'd prefer the 3 way deal howver I think the Bengals trade is more realistic.

Anyone have any thoughts on these proposals?
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the rarest of rares, teams trading with teams in their own division. However, if the Steelers do send Plaxico Burress to Cincinnati for Rudi Johnson, the Steelers should also get something back in return besides just Rudi. I'm sure many people would argue that Plaxico Burress is the best player in the deal. So why not this...

Cincinnati Bengals:
Plaxico Burress
4th Round Pick (#125)

Pittsburgh Steelers:
Rudi Johnson
3rd Round Pick (#83)

That's how it should look, at least to me.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
^^^ The reason assumptions are dumb. ^^^
azazaz7

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big7BenROY wrote:

Cincinnati Bengals:
Plaxico Burress
4th Round Pick (#125)

Pittsburgh Steelers:
Rudi Johnson
3rd Round Pick (#83)

That's how it should look, at least to me.

I agree, picks would probably be involved in such a deal. I was trying to make the scenario as simple as possible. Howver what you have suggested is a bit more realistic that what I had originally proposed.
Canada

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how Burress would feel about going to Cincy where he would not be "Da Man".

He is looking to be a #1 WR.

Playing second fiddle to C.Johnson is something I doubt he would be interested in.

I can hear the whining about not seeing enough balls thrown his way already.
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if the Bengals end up trading Rudi Johnson, that leaves Chris Perry as the starter for the Cincinnati Bengals. If Chris Perry can't get the job done, they have to look to Kenny Watson. If the Bengals can't get an adequite running game going next year, it's going to be a lot of Carson Palmer, throwing the football. That could make Plaxico Burress very happy, along with Chad Johnson. I think that Chad Johnson would welcome someone like Plaxico only because it would take the pressure off of Johnson when it comes to the defense. Now the defense would have to account for both of the young and very talented wideouts.

as11osu wrote:
You want to own a Hummer, go for it I guess. It's a selfish decision and a true reflection of character IMO.
Canada

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could still have Peter Warrick around.
wrayce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cinniciatti doesn't need a reciever that houshmandez guy had a huge year and they got warrick who isn't that bad

i cant spell the bengals reciever sorry any of you cinnci fans

My signature gallery
Big7BenMVP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.J. Houshmandzadeh is going to be a Free Agent this offseason, and Peter Warrick suffered a bad injury to his shin this season that could actually threaten his career. So if they had an opportunity to get Plaxico Burress, I think they would go after him.

as11osu wrote:
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would the Steelers even trade Burress or let him walk? Wasn't he Roethlisberger's favorite target? You just don't get rid of your franchise quarterback's favorite target, especially a great, developing quarterback.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rushpacker_56 wrote:
Why would the Steelers even trade Burress or let him walk? Wasn't he Roethlisberger's favorite target? You just don't get rid of your franchise quarterback's favorite target, especially a great, developing quarterback.

Because the Pittsburgh Steelers are only 5 million dollars underneath the cap, and after they get through resigning their EFRAs and RFAs, they will have little to no money at all to either resign Burress or Bell. So they could franchise Burress before they do anything and get actual value for him.

as11osu wrote:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: