You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Off Season Moves

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daintrain28

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Off Season Moves Reply with quote

You know so far I have seen dozens of different mock drafts in this forum, but the truth is until we know more about free agency, mock drafts are useless. Fun, but useless. For example, if Green Bay pulls off a blockbuster trade and brings in Zach Thomas, drafting Channing Crowder in the First Round would be a waste. If Green Bay signs Shaun Ellis, they'd be crazy to draft Dan Cody or Marcus Spears. So before I weigh in on the Mock Draft, I would like to here people's thoughts on off season rumors, are they fact or fiction (thank you NFL Tonight)?

This is what we know, this off season will be an active one. Jim Bates alluded to this in his press conference. The question is what does that mean?

1. A major trade involving Zach Thomas, Sammy Knight, and at least one of the Packers' halfbacks is in the works.

Personally, I think fact. They say both Thomas and Knight (and others) want out of Miami. Since Green Bay's Defensive staff are all Dolphin refugees, where better for these two to end their career then in the Green and Gold? Furthermore, this rumor keeps on coming up over and over again, not just in these chatrooms, but on radio stations, and sports shows. Last place I heard it, AM 620 WTMJ. According to Jeff Falconio, there are numerous anonymous sources who claim this is in the works. I'd feel stronger about this if these sources weren't anonymous.

2. Shaun Ellis is the highest priority of the off season.

Fact. We know this, Bates scheme depends on effective pass rushing bookends. GB has one in KGB, they need another. Ellis' size makes him more lucrative than his counterpart John Abraham, GB already has one undersized Defensive End, we don't need two, unless we want to have teams running up and down on us. AND, before you say they can't afford it, remember, Mike Wahle, or Marco Rivera, or both will not be back next year, so this will open up some cap room. Plus Joe Johnson's contract clears this year, which opens up cap room. Plus Ahman Green's name keeps popping up as trade bait. There will be room to get someone, who it is is a question.

3. Green Bay will draft Favre's heir this year.

Fact. His name is Charlie Frye, he played last year for Akron State. He's big, strong armed, and an overachiever. Craig Nall will initially take over for Favre, but eventually Frye will take the position from him. The MAC-10 has produced a lot of big names these last few years. Ben Rothlisberger, Byron Leftwich, Chad Pennington, Frye will be next in line.
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you must be high to think we could get Zach Thomas and Saun Ellis because I am not sure if you have herd that there is this little thing called
the CAP and we have exacttly None. We will not draft a QB in the first, second, third or fourth there is no need except for depth and we could pick up Bryan Randall or some one else. Sammy Knight is no better
then freaking Mark Roman there are a whole lot better Safetys in the draft
then Sammy Knight.
rushpacker_56

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We won't get Thomas. I can see Ellis, but not Thomas. Sherman has already patched the linebacking corps. That is what he does. Recievers in 2002. Linebackers in 2003. Secondary in 2004. D-line in 2005?

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kiwi, did no one teach you how to read, or are your brain and eyes not functioning on the same wavelength? Did I not address the salary cap issues in my previous statement? The Fact is over $3 million from Reynolds and Johnson's contracts clearing alone is available. Add in letting Mike Wahle walk (over another million), and by trading Ahman Green, that'd would trade up another $3 million right there. That doesn't even get into restructuring Brett Favre and Darren Sharper's deals, which is also predicted. Your trying to tell me that they don't have the room to go after Ellis and Thomas? Look they might not go after them for one reason or another, but to say there is no money is bologna, a big steaming pile of bologna.

And the Packers won't take a QB in the First Three rounds?!?!?! When last year Mike Sherman acknowledged the team was all set to draft JP Losman in the First Round, so now a year later with Brett Favre's retirement even more immiment, you are trying to tell me they won't pull the trigger. More Bologna.

And Sammy Knight is worst than Mark Roman?!?!?! Have you watched any Dolphin's games? Last year, Knight had four picks, compared to Roman's zero. Knight had 125 tackles, led the team in both Interceptions and tackles. He's been to one Pro Bowl, which is also compared to zero by Roman. I could say some real nasty thigns but I won't stoop that low. Next time before you insult someone's judgement, why don't you do a little research first.
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dain Train

No one insulted you but I can if I wanted to. If you know about the cap we
have none. We will not draft a QB simply because we do not need one at all if you were a packer fan you would know this.

I did not say Knight is worse I said no better those stats really don't mean jack squat because he got all of his ints in trash time so that don't mean squat.

You have to think that we could not get Thomas nor Ellis because the cap we are going to have is going to Draft Picks and resigning so your plan is not going to happean. Take off your Gold and Green sun glass and smell the Fresh Air there is NO CAP ROOM.
ltcobretti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: cap room Reply with quote

your are confused, we will have cap room, and may trade ahman green or najeh davenport. Also it is possible that we trade sharper.
KiwiFan94

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes cap for our rooks and resign some players other then that we will not have any cap for any big time FA.

It would just be stupid to trade Ahman Green he is our Run game if we trade him away who do we go with Najeh please Tony he is a terriable runner get catcher terriable runner. I think there are few here who actually know about the packers.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: