Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official NFL Draft Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Official NFL Draft Thread Reply with quote

We're clogging up the forum with all these posts. So why not post all our thoughts here?

If you have any video of highlights or scouting reports worth reading; post them here. I'll update this post with all must-read information.

QB

RB

FB

WR

TE

OT

OG

OC

DE

NT

OLB

ILB

CB

FS

SS

ST
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just use this one so appropriately create by SC29!

These are my top prospects that I believe the Steelers have a realistic chance of drafting. Some are solely dependent on how teams evaluate the talent on their board. I ranked each player based on how far they could fall. Like I said some are more likely then others.

1. Chance Warmack - Is the best prospect that could potentially be available at the 17th pick. Right now Warmack is slated to go anywhere in the top 9-16 with his position depended on how other players are valued. With players such as Mingo and Ansah gaining steam this could push Warmack down far enough to be drafted by the Steelers.

Draft Position ranking Top 20

2. Manti Te'o - In the Steelers defense he would shine as he wouldn't consistently asked to stack and shed OL. Many are on the fence when it comes to selecting Te'o for various reason. But with how this draft could potentially fall if Warmack isn't available he could be the best options.

Draft Position ranking Top 30

3. Ezekiel Ansah - I believe is the best option at OLB for the Steelers as he brings instant capability as a run stopper. He's very limited in the pass rush department and if he doesn't develop some counter moves may only turn out to be a good run stopping OLB. But his upside is insane and with the proper coaching he could be a unstoppable force. As he could play any position along the front 7. That type of versatility isn't something you come across every day. With the mastermind D. LeBeau going strong would maximize Ansah potential.

Draft Position ranking Top 5 - 2nd round

4. Jarvis Jones - Is being mocked to the Steelers as his medical clearance is unclear. But as a talent he could provide some of the same things Harrison provided the Steelers via FF and timely sacks. I have my questions about J. Jones the reason I have him listed under Ansah.

5. Jesse Williams - I'd have him higher, but I honestly don't view him better then Ta'amu. Some may not agree, but Ta'amu I believe if not in shackles with be a threat to make tackles. He's nimble enough to avoid the cut blocks. But Williams experience in a 3-4 defense can't be over looked or undervalued. So if Ta'amu isn't in the future then Williams has to be a strong candidate.

Draft Position ranking Mid 1st round - Mid 2nd round

6. Cordarrelle Patterson
7. Kevin Minter
8. Johnathan Banks
9. DeAndre Hopkins
10. Larry Warford

Some players I believe the Steelers should pass on.

1. Dion Jordan
2. Barkevious Mingo
3. Kenny Vaccaro
4. John Jenkins
5. Matt Elam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just threw up in my mouth a little. If we take T'eo or any olineman outside a LT I'll be beyond shocked. I felt that way about T'eo before the girl drama surfaced. His only chance was leadership,was shot IMO. Pretty confident the Steelers agree,and I won't be needing any mints on draft day.
3. Robert Woods WR USC
4. Jonathan Franklin RB UCLA

That's all I got, will fill in the rest later.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jarvis Jones falls to the Steelers he is falling a long way. He is a top 10 talent and if he falls to 17 then other teams think there is something seriously wrong and will not take the risk. I just do not see a scenario that Jones falls out of the top 10 and the Steelers take him without trading into/close to the top 10.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troofax wrote:
I just threw up in my mouth a little. If we take T'eo or any olineman outside a LT I'll be beyond shocked. I felt that way about T'eo before the girl drama surfaced. His only chance was leadership,was shot IMO. Pretty confident the Steelers agree,and I won't be needing any mints on draft day.

I have no problem with taking Warmack... except we know he wouldn't last until 17.
Troofax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Jarvis I feel the same,plus he's a little older than the Steelers like with their top pick. As for Warmack count me out. Back to back guards with the top pick? Not going to happen IMO Too much money and premium picks on one unit.
3. Robert Woods WR USC

Troofax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Jarvis I feel the same,plus he's a little older than the Steelers like with their top pick. As for Warmack count me out. Back to back guards with the top pick? Not going to happen IMO Too much money and premium picks on one unit.
3. Robert Woods WR USC

SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troofax wrote:

Te'o has his obvious doubters, which is fine. But for what he'll be ask to do in the Steelers defense should make him a very good pick. The Steelers have drafted some players with questions marks the past few years. I view Te'o's issue something minor on a pure football scale. I have my doubts but if M. Wallaces is retained then what?

There won't be a need for a WR. Vaccaro is terrible in space and doesn't cover as much ground as many say he does. There are 3-5 safeties that I'd probably consider before him. Swearing, Shamarko Thomas, Cyprien and many may not agree but I like E. Reid value as a player more.

The Steelers aren't drafting a OT unless it's Joeckel. Maybe Fischer but I'm willing to exhaust all options at least the our OT position. Its well documented that players make the biggest jump in yr three which it will be M. Gilberts.

If K. Lewis isn't retained then of course CB becomes a great possibility. Which everybody knows which CB I'd like in this years draft. Xavier Rhodes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Troofax wrote:

Te'o has his obvious doubters, which is fine. But for what he'll be ask to do in the Steelers defense should make him a very good pick. The Steelers have drafted some players with questions marks the past few years. I view Te'o's issue something minor on a pure football scale. I have my doubts but if M. Wallaces is retained then what?

There won't be a need for a WR. Vaccaro is terrible in space and doesn't cover as much ground as many say he does. There are 3-5 safeties that I'd probably consider before him. Swearing, Shamarko Thomas, Cyprien and many may not agree but I like E. Reid value as a player more.

The Steelers aren't drafting a OT unless it's Joeckel. Maybe Fischer but I'm willing to exhaust all options at least the our OT position. Its well documented that players make the biggest jump in yr three which it will be M. Gilberts.

If K. Lewis isn't retained then of course CB becomes a great possibility. Which everybody knows which CB I'd like in this years draft. Xavier Rhodes

Zero chance Wallace is retained. Lewis will be retained first, and there is no way we re-sign both. I wouldn't pay Wallace more than 6 a year, he is not worth more.

We will be ok without Keenan, but I'm very upset about that one as well. Basically makes 08' & 09' drafts non-existent. Makes no sense from a team that builds through the draft to coach a player up like Keenan and once he reaches the potential you saw when you drafted him, simply to let him go. Don't get me wrong, I see why we are most likely doing it. It just takes away from a nice team strength. Big Lewis fan. Big Ike Fan. Big Cortez fan as well...I also think that Curtis Brown will be a very good nickel back for us next year, it just hurts the depth. I saw enough in Curtis at the end of the year to say he just needed some confidence, he's a player, no doubt.

I think T'eo is just somebody you don't want to have on your team right now. There is no way they need this guy's drama in training camp this year. This needs to be a tightly run ship this year. Te'o isn't special enough at ILB to be considered. Just my opinion.
3. Robert Woods WR USC

SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troofax wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
Troofax wrote:

Zero chance Wallace is retained. Lewis will be retained first, and there is no way we re-sign both. I wouldn't pay Wallace more than 6 a year, he is not worth more.

We will be ok without Keenan, but I'm very upset about that one as well. Basically makes 08' & 09' drafts non-existent. Makes no sense from a team that builds through the draft to coach a player up like Keenan and once he reaches the potential you saw when you drafted him, simply to let him go. Don't get me wrong, I see why we are most likely doing it. It just takes away from a nice team strength. Big Lewis fan. Big Ike Fan. Big Cortez fan as well...I also think that Curtis Brown will be a very good nickel back for us next year, it just hurts the depth. I saw enough in Curtis at the end of the year to say he just needed some confidence, he's a player, no doubt.

I think T'eo is just somebody you don't want to have on your team right now. There is no way they need this guy's drama in training camp this year. This needs to be a tightly run ship this year. Te'o isn't special enough at ILB to be considered. Just my opinion.

The Steelers aren't oblivious to off season drama. With the Te'o situation it'll blow over and he'll move on. By the time the off season rolls around it'll be a thing of the past.

Wallace can be retained but it's going to take some serious roster moves and a couple of restructures. The Steelers have to remove some dead weight on the roster. They have to become a inexpensive team at certain position.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon. He's not worth it. I guaranteed it wouldn't happen somewhere around one of the Raven games. He quit, I knew it was a done deal then,if not already before. One WR at the least,likely2 will be needed. May draft one and acquire another via free agency or undrafted free agency. All we have is AB and Sanders that are likely for sure's.
3. Robert Woods WR USC

stefan52268

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State
Pittsburgh needs an heir apparent for current NT Casey Hampton, who is expected to leave as a free agent. There's depth at the position with Steve McLendon and Alameda Ta'amu, but neither appears to be the long-term answer. This might be a bit early for Hankins in my opinion, but some feel he grades out perfectly in the middle of Round 1. Regardless, you can't coach his size and ability to anchor in the middle against the run.

I saw on another site Todd McShay's mock. He has us taking Hankins.

Last month I saw Hankins as a top 10 pick. That changed. Thoughts?

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
Dook

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll just use this one so appropriately create by SC29!

These are my top prospects that I believe the Steelers have a realistic chance of drafting. Some are solely dependent on how teams evaluate the talent on their board. I ranked each player based on how far they could fall. Like I said some are more likely then others.

1. Chance Warmack - Is the best prospect that could potentially be available at the 17th pick. Right now Warmack is slated to go anywhere in the top 9-16 with his position depended on how other players are valued. With players such as Mingo and Ansah gaining steam this could push Warmack down far enough to be drafted by the Steelers.

2. Manti Te'o - In the Steelers defense he would shine as he wouldn't consistently asked to stack and shed OL. Many are on the fence when it comes to selecting Te'o for various reason. But with how this draft could potentially fall if Warmack isn't available he could be the best options.

Draft Position ranking Top 30

3. Ezekiel Ansah - I believe is the best option at OLB for the Steelers as he brings instant capability as a run stopper. He's very limited in the pass rush department and if he doesn't develop some counter moves may only turn out to be a good run stopping OLB. But his upside is insane and with the proper coaching he could be a unstoppable force. As he could play any position along the front 7. That type of versatility isn't something you come across every day. With the mastermind D. LeBeau going strong would maximize Ansah potential.

Draft Position ranking Top 5 - 2nd round

4. Jarvis Jones - Is being mocked to the Steelers as his medical clearance is unclear. But as a talent he could provide some of the same things Harrison provided the Steelers via FF and timely sacks. I have my questions about J. Jones the reason I have him listed under Ansah.

5. Jesse Williams - I'd have him higher, but I honestly don't view him better then Ta'amu. Some may not agree, but Ta'amu I believe if not in shackles with be a threat to make tackles. He's nimble enough to avoid the cut blocks. But Williams experience in a 3-4 defense can't be over looked or undervalued. So if Ta'amu isn't in the future then Williams has to be a strong candidate.

Draft Position ranking Mid 1st round - Mid 2nd round

6. Cordarrelle Patterson
7. Kevin Minter
8. Johnathan Banks
9. DeAndre Hopkins
10. Larry Warford

Some players I believe the Steelers should pass on.

1. Dion Jordan
2. Barkevious Mingo
3. Kenny Vaccaro
4. John Jenkins
5. Matt Elam

I never rank OG's above the 15th pick in the 1st round but we're picking at 17. OG Warmack, along with Pouncey and DeCastro, would give us one of the best interior OL's in the NFL. I won't take him in my mocks because I'm more of a "fill needs first" guy but I can't really complain if the team does take him at 17.

Think ILB Te'o at 17 is the most obvious choice for us because he's worth it and fills a need.

I have a 3rd round grade on DE Ansah. He not our DE or OLB type, he's a 4-3 DE who only got 4 sacks. He won't be able to hold his ground at only 270 lbs and he won't be able to drop into coverage at that weight. He runs a 4.80. People think he's the next Jason Pierre Paul, that's fine but we need the next James Harrison.

Jarvis Jones, talented but I would pass on him because of his medical.

NT Jesse Williams I like in the top of the 2nd round. There are a few big 3-4 NT's that will be available in the bottom of the 1st round, DT Jenkins, DT Hankins, DT Sylvester, and DT Williams so if NT is our goal with our 1st pick I would trade down in the 1st round.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dook: Next James Harrison: so you want us to pick a 1st rounder who only plays special teams for the first 5 years of his career? Agree with everything else.
C$!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
@Dook: Next James Harrison: so you want us to pick a 1st rounder who only plays special teams for the first 5 years of his career? Agree with everything else.

Did you really take that comment THAT out of context. We need a great edge rusher. JPP works for the Giants but I dont think he would work well as a 3-4 olb. It has nothing to do with how he started his career and everything to do with how he played from 2006-2010. We need THAT type of player
I think thats his point. I could be wrong but thats how i read it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: