Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trade up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boltfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Trade up? Reply with quote

Ive been thinking about what the chargers should do in the draft. IMO they should trade the #12 and #28 pick for a top 3 pick, and get Mike Williams, the best player in this draft. Then in the 2nd get a pass rushing DE/OLB, like Darryll Blackstock. After that fill out the roster with an OT, CB, FS, and a huge run-stuffing DT.

Im still debating this, because I know we have more pressing needs than WR( like a stud passrusher and a FS) but I think Mike Williams will take our offense to another level. Name a team in the AFC WEST that will be able to stop us?

Besides I think our pass rush will get better, with Igor and Shaun Phillips having a better feel for this defense. Also, we have to adress the FS position via free agency(Will Demps or Dwight Smith), our secondary is young enough.
SDChargers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we do trade away both our first rounders maybe get a 3rd rounder since we have none.
boltfan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that wont happen
e16bball

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would the Chargers give up 2 first rounders to get Mike Williams when they could stay at 12 and 28 and get a combo like Spears or Rolle and Williamson or White? I realize its much more fun to talk about offense and how offensive playmakers will make the O unstoppable, but lets be honest, the Chargers offense was pretty damn good this past year and their defense, especially against the pass, was the weakness...to quote a common cliche, "defense wins championships" and the Chargers could stand to add a DE, CB, or S before a WR, and also an OT for that matter. I mean believe me, I think Mike Williams is a beast, but I just don't see why you all would give up on the idea that adding depth is better than adding one big name. It worked out pretty well last year after all.
jesseelder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Agree with e16bball Reply with quote

If we keep drafting offensive talent then we would resemble the Colts which is not bad but again our biggest needs are on defense. I think AJ Smith is smart enough to realize that and will certainly not be tempted to trade all their picks just for Mike Williams.
boltfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe me, I see what you guys are saying. IMO Brees needs a lot of help around him to be effective. Parker and Caldwell have proven to be injury prone, besides can you imagine Mike Williams playing with the new illegal contact rules?. With him, Gates(2nd best TE in the league), and LT(best RB in the league), Brees will be a Pro Bowl QB for years to come. Believe me hes the ONLY player I think we should trade up for.

We have a lot of options in this draft, IMO Mike Williams is the best player in this draft by a wide margin, we dont need Troy Williamson or Roddy White. If we dont get Williams, then we should take the best player available with the 28th pick. I agree with Spears or Rolle with the 12th pick.

Either way I trust AJ, and the decision he makes.
ferochis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while I would love to see mike williams in a chargers uniform, I don't thinkt that we should trade up. The offense is fine. Weren't we second in offense last season? and didn't we have three pro bowlers at offensive skilll positions? the return of caldwell alone will improve the offense. I think that we should go with defense with both of our first rounders. At # 12 thomas davis, or adam jones, (maybe antrell rolle if he's available), would be a very good pick up for us. that would improve our #28 pass defense ranking. at #28 a pass rushing de like david pollac or justin tuck would also be a very nice addition.
*If you think about it, we lost to the colts becuase they made a 15 point comeback in the fourt quarter. And I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone that we gave up the lead against the jets in the playoffs.
SDChargers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mccardell has a good year left in him, I say wait until 2006 to get a good WR, any good ones known to be available than?
martisius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we should totally trade up our picks are so ballz right now, trade with the niners, and get mike williams.
phicart

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, was thinking of ways to get to a top position to get a top receiver, but now I realize the cost would be too high. Brees is going to stay, as he should...can't trade him. Rivers knows our system and will be number two QB next year, as he should...can't trade him. With Moss going to the Raiders, Minnesota at #7 will be another team in the WR hunt ahead of us. Williams will be long gone by #12. Besides, I liked Edwards better, but he, too will be long gone. We should go defense at #12 and #28 and think about WR after that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: