Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My own Browns update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThunderDawg27

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: My own Browns update Reply with quote

Yo, since Romeo's finally signed on now, i thought i would give my own assessment of things now that could/should happen:

This might be a real long post, so bear wit me. lol. Let's start off wit the offense:

QB seems up in the air right now, but one thing is for sure, i DON'T want the Browns drafting a QB period, much less in the 1st round. "Oh, but Thunder, it would be good to have a franchise QB now" Well, Rodgers and Smith are not worth # 3, i'm not entirely sold on Frye, i like Campbell but he's a West Coast QB, and i'm not a fan of Orton at all... I think the best bet would be to go look in FA. Garcia's gonna be cut, and Holcumb is purely backup, cuz when he starts, afta a while, he gets erratic. I ain't really high on Bledsoe, but in this "running" offense, he might not be bad considering that's wat he did wit the Bills this past season and they came close to the playoffs. I guy who i think is kinda under the radar is Jeff Blake. "Oh but Thunder, he was part of that Cincy crap in the late 90's" True, but he still put up decent numbers and in 4 of the last 5 seasons i think, he threw for more TD's than INT's. One of the those guys will be fine. RB, Suggs is the guy if only he can stay healthy, so i'm not totally against drafting a RB in the late rounds, but please for the love of god people, STOP preaching for Clarett... I'm not impressed wit the guy at all and this draft is gonna have plenty of RB's... Offensive Line is the no-brainer and it seems wide open for the Browns for Pace considering the Rams would be insane to franchise him, which would leave them wit no money, which they need for a lotta parts of the team. It's also funny how people say Houston can get him when they have no money... Browns have the money, so that shouldn't be a problem, then u draft Brown/Baas in the 2nd round. TE, we got the "Chosen One", Mr. Winslow and Steve Heiden, who quietly did a solid job for the Browns this past season.

Now onto the defense:

This is where it gets interesting. It looks like the Browns are gonna make the move to the 3-4 defense, which i am really high on. There are some people that say that the Browns don't have the personnel to do it. Might be true, but Crennel and his staff might breakdown some of these guys and see somethin we don't, so who knows. Even if we don't have enough personnel, of course there's the draft and FA... More importantly though, if they wanna move to the 3-4, they need to do it now, cuz if they don't, then do it in a couple years, it'll only set the defense back a little bit again. Browns ranked 5th against the pass, but 27th against the run i think. From wat i understand, the 3-4 is more potent against the run cuz of your LB's, and it would be a great alternative considering the division we're in where we got the Ravens and Steelers who both love to run the ball, and Cincy who has a good running game now wit Rudi Johnson(Who tore the Browns up last time).

Defense Line is where i'll start. Lang and Roye at DE's is fine wit me, though this is really all gonna depend on wat Savage and Crennel wanna do wit Warren. If they get rid of him, then they'll either have Roye at NT, or get a solid FA. LB's is the big thing for this defense. To me, Thompson and Davis(Andra) will fit nicely. Thompson is athletic and quick, and has enough power to pass rush. It really is the otha side that's a question. Again, it's all gonna be on wat Crennel and his new staff, and whether or not they see somethin on film or wateva to see if guys like Holdman, Gardner, or Taylor have the tools for the 3-4. Personally, i've seen Ben Taylor play in the few times he was in and played well. He's fundamentally sound, tackles well, and seems to be wherever the ball goes. Havin him at ILB wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. At OLB, u might have Holdman, a FA, or u also of course might have DJ, if they are able to draft him. In the secondary, Griffith at SS is fine. Though, i've been debating wit myself whether or not the Browns should start Jones at FS for a while now. I came to the conclusion that they should jus go ahead and start him and see wat he can do now that they're tryin to re-construct, and maybe let Crocker or Lehan play the nickel. At CB's, there's a few scenarios here. Right now, i'm completely clueless on whether or not they're gonna keep Henry. Might draft a corner if we don't get DJ. McCutcheon along wit a FA doesn't sound bad to me.

One quick note concerning the draft right now: There's not OT worth # 3 and from wat i'm hearin, an OT ain't gonna even be taken in the top 15, which hasn't happened in 10 years... Trading down is an obvious choice. Also, like i said before, i DON'T want them to draft a QB at all. Some people might want them to, but deep down, there is no Browns fan that wants to put up wit yet another rookie QB, and if u disagree, your kidding yourself... I also saw in a recent post saw someone mentioning the possibility of tradin down wit Arizona and maybe gettin Merriman, which is not a bad idea at all. Preferences for me would be like this:

1. DJ
2. Trade Down, go for a CB
3. Defensive Linemen
4. LB

Draft Brown/Baas in the 2nd round (No brainer), though i really prefer Brown. If the Browns really wanna QB, then draft them in the 3rd. Campbell is more of a West Coast guy, but he wouldn't be bad. Frye is good, but is more of a Pennington like QB, which i don't like and which wouldn't suit this new offense well, considerin they need a guy who is capable of throwin downfield. Later rounds, maybe get defensive linemen, LB's, though of course, maybe more O-linemen. As far as CB's go, 2 guys who i really like and woudn't mind gettin if we can trade down are Carlos Rogers and Brandon Browner, who are also very underrated. I would prefer Browner since he's got a lil bit more size and has a 4.4 40. Only question bout him is the fact that he only played 2 years and still might need freshing up. It still might be a long shot, but if we were to somehow trade down wit SD (Since i don't think Parcells will trade his #1's at all...) We could get one of those CB's and draft Brown near the end of the first round, it would give the Browns a lot more flexibility in the 2nd round and 3rd round as to who they pick. A guy i didn't mention, was Rolle, who even wit him being a physical guy, which might hurt him cuz of the new rules, wouldn't be as bad as most people think.

Free Agency: Pace is obviously the number one guy to go after. But there's also some intriguing FA's that the Browns could have interest in, and a good possibility to get. Since NT is a need, available guys like: Corey Simon (Though might be franchised, and might be to expensive even if he wasn't), Tony Williams (CIN), Kelvin Pritchett (DET), Pat Wiliams (BUF). LB's that might be available: ILB's like- Ed Hartwell (BAL, and might be to expensive), T.J. Slaughter (JAC), Antonio Pierce (WAS). OLB's like- Kendrell Bell (PIT, Who might not cost as much since he's been hurt the last season and a half.), Keith Adams (PHI), Will Witherspoon (CAR). I think the the guys we gotta chance at gettin and that i prefer are Pritchett, Pierce, and Bell.

Starters for next season (If not many moves are made)

Offense:
QB: FA (Bledsoe, Blake, etc.)
RB: Suggs
FB: Smith
TE: Winslow
WR1: Davis(Andre, and if healthy)
WR2: Bryant
LT: Pace
LG: Verba
C: Faine
RG: Brown/Baas
RT: Tucker

Defense: (3-4)
LDE: Lang
NT: Roye
RDE: Ekuban
OLB: Thompson
ILB: Davis
ILB: Taylor
OLB: Holdman
SS: Griffith
FS: Jones
LCB: Henry/FA/Draft pick (In order of preference)
RCB: McCutcheon/Draft Pick/FA

Starters (If significant moves are made):

Offense:
QB: FA (Bledsoe, Blake, etc.)
RB: Suggs
FB: Smith
TE: Winslow
WR1: Davis(Andre, and if healthy)
WR2: Bryant
LT: Pace
LG: Verba
C: Faine
RG: Brown/Baas
RT: Tucker

Defense: (3-4)
LDE: Lang
NT: Pritchett
RDE: Roye
OLB: Thompson
ILB: Davis
ILB: Taylor
OLB: Bell
SS: Griffith
FS: Jones
LCB: Henry/FA/Draft pick (In order of preference)
RCB: McCutcheon/Draft Pick/FA

Feel free to voice your opinions and if u don't like somethin, lemme know. Or if u know somethin i don't, lemme know. I might not have a clue bout somethin or EVERYTHING i'm sayin, LOL. Seriously though, at least give a legit reason why u don't agree with somethin. I don't need to see a post sayin "Oh, but i think (so and so) jus sucks"... lol.

-ThunderDawg27
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we should get a QB in the draft either. This is the year to make our defense great. The more I think about it, the more Rolle makes sense for the first pick (should we not trade down). Everyone is saying that Crenell's defenses get by with lower round CBs have it all wrong. They get by with physical CBs. The guy they base their game on (Ty Law) was a first rounder. Rolle is that type of corner. Drafting him would become a need should we not re-sign Henry.

Here is my ideal depth chart going into next season:

QB
Drew Bledsoe*
Kelly Holcomb
Josh Harris

HB
Lee Suggs
Quality free agent*
Day 2 pick

FB
Terelle Smith

WR
Andre Davis
Antonio Bryant
Dennis Northcutt
David Patten*
Day 2 pick

TE
KW2
Aaron Shea
Steve Heiden

LT
Orlando Pace*
Kirk Chambers

LG
Ross Verba
David Baas

C
Jeff Faine

RG
Mark Wahle*
Enoch Damar

RT
Ryan Tucker
Logan Mankins

LE
Kenard Lang
Rodney Bailey*

NT
Pat Williams*
Orpheus Roye

RE
Courtney Brown
Ebeneezer Ekuban

LOLB
Chaun Thompson
Kevin Bentley

MLB
Andra Davis
Edgerton Hartwell*
Day 2 pick

ROLB
Ben Taylor
Matt Stewart*

CB
Ty Law*
Antrell Rolle
Daylon McCutcheon
Chris Crocker
Michael Lehan
Day 2 pick

FS
Sean Jones
Earl Little

SS
Robert Griffith
Michael Jameson

* - Free Agents
So that would have us picking Rolle, Baas and Mankins on day one, and getting a RB and defensive help on day 2. Maybe we don't spend THAT much in free agency, but a major overhaul is definitely needed. We need a lot more talent at linebacker (the Pats have 10 on their roster). Pat Williams and his 350+pounds are a necessity to run the 3-4 effectively. I chose to keep Courtney because I don't want to give up on him yet, and I hope the new staff feels the same way. If Courney Brown, Gerrard Warren and William Green got cut the same off-season that would be too much. I'm all for Warren going, maybe Green, but definitely not fond of cutting Brown. I don't think we should re-sign Holdman, unless it's for a backup spot. He made tackles, but not plays. I'm also a fan of drafting Clarett. But I have a selective memory on him. I remember him running all over everyone all year (sometimes hurt), and carrying the offense to a National Championship. I forget the off the field stuff because I don't care about that nonsense.

On Elton Brown, a Browns page I go to sent a guy to Mobile, and said standing next to all the other lineman in shorts, he was the most unfit of them all. I think Ferguson made him look better than he actually is. Playing center made Baas look worse than he actually is.

Overall, not a bad assessment.
ThunderDawg27

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

It would very nice to have all those free agents, but gettin all those FA's is gonna be to expensive. We might get jus a couple of those guys, even though we have big cap room. Guys like Hartwell or Law are gonna ask for a nice chunk of change, but u know wat, who knows. If we get guys like that at a decent price, i'm all for it, but realistically, i don't think we can get all of em.

-ThunderDawg27
Lyuokdea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way we pick up half of those free agents, and Wahle and Law aren't even free agents by the way, Rivera is the free agent in Green Bay, not Wahle, and there has been talk of Law being traded, but he is not a free agent.

~Lyuokdea
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i definitley think that we need some speed in the secondary.... it's bad because whenever a RB does get past them, he's gone because we lack speed back there... otherwise, I think everything else is realistic... oh wait, I dont like Drew Bledsoe at all in this situation... stick with what we have, especially if we build up our line... you bet that if we had a line, Jeff Garcia would pick some teams apart.... Dont doubt him one bit just because he had a very iffy season... also what's wrong with our fullback... and why dont we play him... oh thats right nothing... how many yards did BOTH of our halfbacks rush for against PHILLY? oh, a crap load, and what's the difference? We used Terrelle Smith in that game... we need to use him because if we dont, we dont get anywhere, he might be the best run blocker in the league but he never gets to show off.. I'd be pissed off if I were him...
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyuokdea wrote:
There is no way we pick up half of those free agents, and Wahle and Law aren't even free agents by the way, Rivera is the free agent in Green Bay, not Wahle, and there has been talk of Law being traded, but he is not a free agent.

~Lyuokdea

Law and Wahle will be cap cuts most likely. Wahle is due something like a $10M roster bonus. Maybe Law will be traded, but not Wahle.
dawgdish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the Rams are going to franchise Pace, so that kind of sucks. Maybe the Seahawks will franchise Alexander & we can grab Walter Jones? I agree we need a big time impact FA on the OL.

Did I just see 2 people suggest Drew Bledsoe as an option at QB? Maybe 8 years ago he would have been a good option, but that guy is a statue in the pocket, and gets rattled too easily. I really hope we do better than that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Feb. 14 Reply with quote

As of right now, i could realistically see the Browns being able to sign Kendrell Bell, Ty Law, and a FA LT. I would prolly get all 3 of them to 1 year deals jus to see where they stand and how they could possibly fit on this team. Law might be the most difficult to get since he might want a lil bit to much money, but i would offer him a contract wit a lotta incentives to make sure we don't overpay him. For example, there would be somethin in his contract like if Law were to get 5 INT's, he would a $500k bonus, or if he got 10 INT's he would get a $1 million bonus, or if he made the Pro Bowl he would get a $2 million bonus, u know, somethin like that. Savage is a smart guy, so if we did have a good shot at these guys, he would know how to handle this. As far as NT goes, i think the Browns will end up given Warren a shot at it. I jus think Romeo would want to build on the LB's before gettin to NT. Though, yeah, i know that NT is important in this defense, but if we can sign Bell and draft Merriman, u have 4 solid LB's who all have the capability of pass rushin effectively, which would help out our defensive line a lot, mainly Warren.

Holcumb seems like the guy the Browns want to start, and the more i think about it, the more i don't mind it. Crennel wants to run the ball anyways, and Holcumb has a strong enough arm to get the ball downfield. I said this before and i'm gonna say it again... Yeah, it would be nice to draft a QB like Rodgers, but what is the point if we don't build the O-line... Savage and Crennel will build the O-line first, gather and groom talent on this team, THEN draft a potential future QB for this team. I'm not completely rulin out a QB for this upcoming draft, but unlike the last guy to run this team, Savage and Crennel are gonna know what to do, and if they feel that draftin Rodgers is the best thing right now, then so be it. I got faith in these guys and i really got a good feelin about the situation.

-ThunderDawg27
ThunderDawg27

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: March 3, 2005 Reply with quote

Yo, wats goin on everybody? Haven't posted in a while, been a lil busy, but it's all good now.

Browns couldn't have gotten off to a better start to FA than signing Joe Andruzzi. Now, the O-Line, as of right now, has guards in Verba and Andruzzi, Center is either Faine or Fowler (Either of them are fine wit me, though i guess i'd prefer Fowler), and Tucker at RT. Still a possibility we could get Cosey Coleman, and that's cool to. LT seems to be the one missin piece now, and there's a couple of LT's out in FA that would be good. U got Stockar McDougle and Kareem McKenzie. Gettin either of those guys would fill in the last piece of the O-Line puzzle. From wat i understand, next year's draft supposedly's gonna have a lotta great LT's, mainly D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who i REALLY HOPE, the Browns are able to get.

Kelly Holcomb... Seriously, since when is he or his agent in a position to be askin for more money? Did Holcomb lead us to the AFC Title game one year that i completely missed? Jeez...Anyways, there's a rumor that the Browns could trade for Trent Dilfer, and that's fine wit me. Holcomb would be fine to, but not for more money...pleez...

As far as the defense goes, i hope that somethin dramatic happens, and the Browns are able to get Hartwell or Bell at LB. 2 days into FA and all the CB's are bein grabbed by second... From wat i heard, here's wats happenin... Baxter looks like he's gonna re-sign wit the Ravens, Rolle apparently is close to signin wit the 'Skins, Ken Lucas signed wit the Panthers, Henry went to Dallas. So the other top notch CB's out there right now that i can think of are Law and Smoot. Last week, i woulda said Law all the way, but he might want to much money, even comin off an injury, though he might take a discount playin for Crennel. Smoot, though, is the younger guy and not injured. Gettin either of those guys would be great. The one good thing about this situation is the fact that teams who needed CB's are gettin em, so Law and Smoot are runnin outta destinations...lol

As far as the draft goes, i really can't say wat i think about DJ. Some people say he'd fit great in a 3-4, others say he wouldn't, so i don't know wat to think of it anymore... If the Browns draft him, then Savage and Crennel must believe he can fit the mold, and if that happens, i'll trust that they made the right choice. Merriman seems to be the more popular name for the 3-4, but as of right now, i really don't see anybody willing to trade up at all... Though, i did mention before maybe Washington trading up to draft Mike Williams. It is a reasonable possibility, especially since now the Vikings have the #7 pick, and if the 'Skins really are in the direction of Mike Williams, then they really must hate the Moss trade, so now they'd be more inclined to trade up if they really wanted him. If they do wanna trade up, or for that matter, if the Vikings wanted to trade up in order to secure him, maybe one of those teams would be willin to trade a #1 pick for next year's draft in order to do so...That would definitely be a dream come true...lol. Only reason why i doubt one of those teams would trade up wit San Fran or Miami is because from just the #3 spot up to #2 and #1 would need to include more than 1 draft pick, based on the draft value chart, and that might be to much to draft Mike Williams at #1 or 2.

Well, that's all i got for now everybody. Thx again. Talk to u later.

-ThunderDawg27
DaBrowns41

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear from you Thunderdawg

This is called TRUTH!

Rest In Peace David, Renee and Joe (Crakburn)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: