Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lamont Thompson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Backwoodsboy65

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Lamont Thompson Reply with quote

Dolphin fan here with a few questions.... I know that Lamont Thompson is a UFA and has a cheap contract right now, Is Tennessee planning on signing him back?
If they do want him back, how much do you think they will offer him to return?
What do you Titans fans think of him?? What is his playing style?? Any info would be helpful.
The fins desperately need a Safety!!! (Arturo Freeman and Sammy Knight are most likely gonna be released).
Please put in your 2 cents, thanx.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's actually a RFA and will be tendered the $660. If you want to sign him away, you'd have to give up a second (which I don't think you have) or would have to offer some kind of trade (like the Jets did for McCareins last year). He's a very solid player, but hasn't reached his potential.
Titans2004

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that we will give him the low tender because he was drafted in the 2nd rnd and I'm not too concerned that somebody will give up their 2nd for him. He is a player with a bunch of ability and certainly showed flashes of being a playmaker last yr, but then would have games in which he wasn't around the ball at all.
Burton

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah he's way to inconsistant, I hope that is just from lack of play.
Backwoodsboy65

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the information, but im not too familiar with RFA, does miami have to trade someone that is a 2nd round equivalent or could it be anyone?
Doesn't look like miami would go after him.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, an RFA is a free agent but he really isn't. First of all, the current team has the right of first refusal, meaning that (if the Titans tendered Thompson anything) the Titans would have a right to tell the Dolphins they can't have him.

OK, now on to the tenders. If a team (Titans) tenders a player (Thompson) and another team (Miami) still pursues him, and the Titans don't use their power of refusal, then Miami has to give the Titans the tender value. There are 3 tenders... The basic tender is (I don't know these figures but you can get the basic point) about $650K. This tender will require the Dolphins to give the Titans a draft choice equal to the round that Thompson was drafted in (in this case it would be a 2nd rounder, but that can range from 1st to 7th and even nothing if the player was an undrafted FA). Then there is the 1st round tender. I think that amount is $1.3M. So say the Titans gave Thompson a 1st round tender (one year contract offer worth 1.3M) and the Dolphins still wanted him, they would have to pony up a 1st rounder to the Titans in exchange for his rights. The 3rd and final tender is the 1st and 3rd. That tender is worth about $1.8M. This is used for the top notch RFA's, but say Thompson was this and the Titans wanted to make sure they kept his services, they'd thender him this tender. So they would offer a $1.8M one year contract. If the Dolphins still wanted to sign him away, they would need to give the Titans a 1st and a 3rd in exchange for the rights to Thompson. Thats basically the gist of it.
titans will return

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but on the refusal part you are talking about its not so easy you have match or present a better deal than the team offered its not just so simple as no you cant have him but anyways
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I didn't get into that. I just figured it wouldn't happen since the Dolphins don't have a 2nd rounder to even compensate the Titans if they wanted him that bad. Thanks for pointing it out though. I didn't mean to imply is what just that easy as saying no to a team and then sitting on your hands.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: