Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Green bays offseason: Please criticize and make suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy007Madison

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Green bays offseason: Please criticize and make suggestions Reply with quote

Within the next few months all of us packers fans will know how the season will be. We have many free agents and even some starters that are in question plus favre's retirement rumours. So in order for us to have a competive team and a future team with talent for upgrading our defense and offense we need to take these steps.

1. We're not going to be able to sign wahle. So we either franchise him or replace him through the draft with someone like David Baas that can play either guard or center. So if we do sign wahle then perhaps we could get either a 1st and 2nd round pick out of him or 2nd and 3rd round picks to use in the upcoming draft for holes on defense quite a few actually and a couple on offense.
2. Sign Davenport and trade him for possible a 2 and 3rd rounder or just or 2nd and 4th rounders or just a second. Because we have so many holes on defense and its a good draft for runningbacks to replace him.
3. Get Bubba franks resigned or franchise him. and then work out either an extension, longterm deal, or a cap friendly deal. It is a must because none of our tight ends can replace him. And with so many holes on defense and finding favres replacement and getting a rb, and wide receiver we might not be able to get a good te.

In the draft we should get these playmakers if we get trades. Also this includes trades for davenport and wahle.
Resign marco Rivera for 2 years since hes been to 3 consecutive pro bowls and is very underrated in the nfl.

1. Erasmus James: DE-Wisconsin: A major pass rusher gives Green Bays new defensive coordinator 2 quality pass rushers for his scheme to put pressure on the QB. No more double teams for kabeer and teams getting away with it. He's pretty good against the run also.
Other options: Matt Roth, David Pollack, Marcus spears, Thomas David if he falls this far.

2. Donte Nicholson: Safety-Oklahoma- With talk about sharper being cut which Personally I dont think he will get cut we have to have an adequate replacement ready. He could replace Sharper in the next couple years if Sharper continues down a decline even though Personally I think his bad play was because of being injured. So we draft Nicholson and we get a safety that can play good in coverage and not be a liability like roman and we also get one that can tackle, makes big plays, like picks for instance which was lacking in green bay and he helps us shore up the run defense.

2. David Baas-G/C-Michigan: If he's here at this pick green bay drafts this guy as a steal. Replaces Wahle who gets resigned and traded or just signs on to another team. He has a nasty streak to him and will protect favre. He sort of like Frank winters with how he plays and he can play center so it adds depth to that positiion too.

2. Barret Rudd-LB-Nebraska: We get a middle Linebacker for jim bates so he can move nick barnett back to his natural position and our linebacker core should be better. Very smart player who knows how to disect plays and has natural instincts for his position. Should make tons of plays for greenbay years to come.
Other Players: Alex Smith-TE- Stanford

2. Mike Patterson-DE/DT-USC: Adds depth on the defensive line who can push underachieving cledius hunt for his starting job. Is undersized but still makes plays like Dan pollack. Should help with the run and is a pretty decent pass rusher who should be able to get more sacks then cledius hunt.
other options: Kyle Orton-QB-Purdue,

3.Kyle Orton:QB-Purdue: Stock has been falling since bad senior bowl and half of the season when he got injured and his play went south. Packers take a chance on him and he could be a potential steal just like brady.He's got a pretty strong arm not quite as strong but enough to get the job done. Is like favre as he is a competitor,leader, plays injured, and not mobile. He needs to work on taking snaps under center and reading defenses a little bit but should be better in a year or 2 from when favre retires to take over the starting job. You users may think its retarted that we take a qb but favres not gonna play forever and you guys have them taking randall so they are taking a qb. Plus if they get more draft picks then why not. No their not going to go after brees. San diego will either sign him to a long term deal or franchise him and then well have to give up a kings ransom. and with so many holes on defense we draft that the first 2 rounds then a qb in the 3rd. Also hasslebech wont come back because hes starting in seattle and would want too much money so thats why i have them picking orton.
Other options: Jason Campbell-QB-Auburn if hes still around maybe.

3. Josh Bullocks-S-Nebraska: If sharper gets cut then we have a need for 2 safeties and since nicholson gets drafted to replace sharper bullocks gets drafted to replace roman. He's pretty good in coverage, comes up with the big play when needed and he also knows how to tackle which is a must. Should be a starter over roman on opening day.

4. Taylor Stubbifield-WR-Purdue: All the users on this forum will say we dont need another wr but if you look at once ferguson was injured things went south as walker went down against minnesota we had driver, a practice squad player and a punt returner as wide receiver and you cant win championships with those players. So we draft stubbifield who has the hands is close to 6 feet tall and could be a replacement for either ferguson or driver if either one gets injured and our offense can still click. He knows how to run routes, where to go to get the ball has hands but needs to add on weight and can catch a jump ball better than chatman. thats why i have them drafting a wr.

4. Marion Barber RB-Minnesota: Replacement for davenport who could eventually start for gb if Green get cut or injured. Also they could look at drafting
Maurice Clarett:Rb-Ohio State-Anthony Davis wisconsin:

5. Scott Starks-CB-Wisconsin: Is small but plays big and is known for his ball skills.

6. Bryan Randall-QB-Virginia Tech- We take 2 QB's in this years draft for the future because nall or osullivan might not get signed or both might not and Randall has more armstrength and better mobility than osullivan. Could be a quality backup to either favre, or orton, or maybe even become the starter like brady did.

7. Jim Leonard-S/PR/Wisconsin: For special teams and depth at safety even more if bullocks or nicholson gets injured. Has speed and can score tds. so our special teams should be set for next year with him as punt returner chatman and carrol or ferguson as kickoff returners but i think ferguson should just be a wr. Also Barber or davis or clarett could return.

Note this is if green bay gets draft picks for wahle and Davenport. Also most mock drafts have us having at least 1 5th 6th and 7th pick and that is with us giving some picks away. So any suggestions will be thanked and I thought since we needed mostly d that i would solve that before offense so please criticize.
gbpack0123

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: re: packers offseason movement Reply with quote

if favre retires the season is in the hands of Ted Thompson. however if favre stays on (which i believe he will) we will be a legitimate s.b. contender if we address defensive needs...erasmus james will not fall to our pick in the draft, and i'm not sure spears will either so i would stick with David Pollack...he had a good game in the outback bowl against the badgers...dont know much about nicholson...sounds good though..ernest shazor would also be a solid pick if he falls to the 2nd...baas would be a great pick...wahle is going to be gone so a guard will be neccesary and this guy is fierce.....dont know much about rudd...
i dont think patterson is the right guy....hes not a strong enough pass rusher which is what the pack would mainly be using him for as..kampman would be in on running downs...i agree with the orton pick..he was a heisman front runner halfway through the season and that didnt happen by accident...i also think charlie frye would be a great pick..
during the regular season i saw him lead an awesome comeback against toledo and it looked to me like had the ability to be a starter somewhere..the seniorbowl proved my theory Cool .......stubbifield would be great especially if we pick up orton...those guys are used to hooking up..i also agree with the receiver core needing work...although driver had a 1000 yd season hes on his way out so...david givens in f/a would be nice if we can get him cheap enough.....i think barber,clarett and davis would all be steals at the early 4th or late 3rd....a year or so ago they had clarett going high in the 1st round which was not a fluke, but being away from the game for a year might hurt..athony davis is a very patient runner which would fit well into our offfense..barber is fast and powerful which also would suit us...starks is a nice pick...hes wicked quick and haha knows orton well Very Happy Very Happy ......dont know much about randall......leonhard would be great and a steal in the 7th....he set all sorts of big 10 punt return records
Dayton_Packer_Fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I don't think we will be able to sign and trade Wahle and Davenport. Most likely Wahle will be released and Davenport will be tendered at the lowest level (4th round pick compensation if someone signs him and the Packers don't match the offer). Another trade option is Ruegamer. He is in the last year of his contract and might get cut in favor of Wells. Trade Ruegamer to Miami for a defensive player that knows Bates' defense. Miami is over the salary cap and might be willing to trade.

Did the Packers trade their 7th round pick to KC for Combs? Also, did they trade a 6th round pick along with McKenzie to New Orleans?

I think the Packers will draft mostly defense on day 1 and maybe a WR and OG on day 2 along with more defense.

Dayton_Packer_Fan
chevk15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Packers placed the franchise tag on Wahle, they would have to pay him the average of the five highest-paid offensive linemen in the NFL, since the league doesnít separate tackles, guards and centers. Since tackles typically make more money than guards, itís likely the Packers would not be willing to pay Wahle a salary that likely would be between $7 million and $8 million a year.
bdevine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: franchise tag Reply with quote

I would not waste a franchise tag on Bubba. The lack of a quality middle of the field tight end has hurt this style of offense. I would also try to keep wahle over rivera. I would hate to see rivera go, however the age has to play a factor here. We should hope that either Pollack or Spears are still available to us in the first round. Frye is a strong option in the second round. He has looked impessive. Hopefully bates can put together a strong secondary with our athletic, yet undisciplined newcomers. Is it possible to cut off carrolls hands and make him play with nubs? Hard to hold without hands!
bdevine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: running backs Reply with quote

I almost feel that if we can keep the O-line that we have that we can be like Denver and make any runner become successful. Green still fumbles too much and Davenport hasn't proved that he can stay healthy.
Dayton_Packer_Fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an offensive line of:

LT Clifton
LG Flanagan
C Ruegamer
RG Rivera
RT Tauscher

Backups:

Bedell or Curtain
Morley
Wells
Barry

C/G late draft pick for the practice squad

Rivera and Bedell are un restricted free agents
Barry is a restricted free agent

Question - Does anyone know if Herrion has improved enough to replace Barry? He has had a full year on the prctice squad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: