Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ICB's Training Camp Competition Previews: CB
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who starts at CB?
Bodden/Springs
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Bodden/Wheatley
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Bodden/Wilhite
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bodden/Butler
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Springs/Wheatley
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Springs/Wilhite
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Springs/Butler
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Wheatley/Wilhite
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wheatley/Butler
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Wilhite/Butler
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 23

icecoldbruschi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: ICB's Training Camp Competition Previews: CB Reply with quote

CB: Leigh Bodden vs. Shawn Springs vs. Terrence Wheatley vs. Jonathan Wilhite vs. Darius Butler

This is perhaps the most fascinating training camp competition. There are about 10 ways or so that this could go. To tell you the truth, it wouldn't even surprise me if one of these five guys didn't even make the team.

For all the negative criticism that the team got last season, the passing defense was not as bad as people make it out to be. They ranked 11th in the league at yards per game, and this was without a superior pass rush. I think that the loss of Ellis Hobbs could actually be bigger than most people think. We will have to replace the loss of the guy stating opposite him as well in Deltha O'Neal.

I read recently that some source said that Bodden was the most talented CB to play in Foxboro since Ty Law. I am not sure if this is true or not, but its certainly encouraging. Bodden looked awful in Detroit last season, but then again, everyone looks awful when playing for the Lions. Bodden looked great in Romeo Crennel's defense two years ago on his way to 6 INT's. Bodden looked to be one of the rising stars in the NFL. Hopefully, he can regain that form this season in a Patriot uniform.
Odds to Start: 65%

Shawn Springs is exactly the type of veteran free agent pickups that the Patriots' success has been built upon recently. Springs still has some left in the tank and looks to be hungry for a Super Bowl title. Springs has the ability to play at CB or FS and his versatility will be crucial. However, I think the most important role that Springs will play is the "T.O. stopper." During his time in Washington, Springs has made a habit of making Owens' life a living hell by playing extremely physical. He may be the most important factor in helping us stop the Bills' passing attack this season.
Odds to Start: 50%

I like Wheatley's game a lot and I think he's going to be a great player in Foxboro. Wheatley looked particularly impressive against the Colts WR's before breaking his arm. I truly believe that game could have broken him out into something special. Wheatley has great speed and ball skills and is not intimidated by anybody.
Odds to Start: 55%

Jonathan Wilhite had a pretty good rookie season, particularly when you compare that to the relatively low expectations which fans had for him. However, the main thing that I have been concerned about with him is how much potential he will ever have. Wilhite is already 25 years old in his second season in the league. Although he has decent ball skills, I'm not sure he will ever have the elite speed to play against top-notch WR's. After playing at nickel for most of his rookie season, he stepped up at the end of the season in the #2 CB spot and looked pretty good. Like I said, a lot depends on his ability to improve.
Odds to Start: 25%

Darius Butler is blessed with tremendous athleticism, work ethic and a passion for the game. He has great skills as a corner and above all else, this guy is just a football player in every sense of the word. Butler even played WR for UConn last season just to get on the field more and help his team win. I am not sure how much he will play in his rookie season behind the other 4. I think we see him get in on the return game much more and eventually work his way into the lineup at nickel/dime later in the season.
Odds to Start: 5%

My Prediction: I am actually not as high on Bodden as most, but I still think he starts. I have Wheatley as the #2 guy and leading the team in INT's. I think we see a lot of Shawn Springs this season regardless, particularly against physical WR's like Owens and Brandon Marshall. Wilhite and Butler will battle it out for the remaining playing time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn Springs/Leigh Bodden

I wouldn't be surprised if Leigh Bodden didn't start too.

But Shawn Springs just has to start, c'mon he's facing TO.

yankee0724 wrote:
My team is based heavily off of Mourinho at Madrid.
^ FC Barcelona Fan ^
icecoldbruschi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElReyDeLosReyes wrote:

This isn't about who happens to play the most in week one due to matchups. Its about who "wins" the job in training camp, which I believe Wheatley will do. Springs may match up the best that week with Owens, but going forward, I believe that it will be primarily Wheatley over Springs, although both will get solid PT.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree w/ you ICB. I think TWheats wins this job. I'm very
high on him. He is going to eventually be our #1 CB. I'm not sure if he will lead in INT but He'll be a stud.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
SoxNats07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking it's Wheatley and Bodden. Although I wouldn't be surprised if there was a ton of rotation at CB, so that in the end no one is really a starter.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=416381&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

DON ZAGRU
ElReyDeLosReyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icecoldbruschi wrote:
ElReyDeLosReyes wrote:

This isn't about who happens to play the most in week one due to matchups. Its about who "wins" the job in training camp, which I believe Wheatley will do. Springs may match up the best that week with Owens, but going forward, I believe that it will be primarily Wheatley over Springs, although both will get solid PT.
Get what you mean now.

yankee0724 wrote:
My team is based heavily off of Mourinho at Madrid.
^ FC Barcelona Fan ^
Shock6822

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially: Bodden/Springs. End of the year: who knows. Ideally, Butler/Wheatley.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodden played in a system he was not going to work in and him being with the Pats is due to Matt Millen being a idiot and not fixing his cap number.

Bodden should win that number 1 job hands down and if he doesnt we might have a little problem.

Wheats-I doubt he is marked as a starter right now and he will probably have to fight for the spot against Springs. Can he do it? Yeah but its going to take a healthy performance from him to do so.

Springs-He will likely get the nod towards the beginning of training camp but he will not last 16 games and if he does great. Will likely play the Lewis Sanders role.

As the days have gone on and the more I thought of if Wheatley and Bodden were the starters would Bill honestly put in Springs to just cover Owens,Colston, and other good WRs when the Pats come along them? Thats not how the Pats work. They dont assign one man to cover one WR.

If Wheatley wins the job it will be his pulling him out to let Springs cover better WRs even though there is a chance that WR wont be lined up on that side. Whats the point? If Wheats is better than he will start over Springs if its vice versa Springs will start.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenboyGB wrote:
As the days have gone on and the more I thought of if Wheatley and Bodden were the starters would Bill honestly put in Springs to just cover Owens,Colston, and other good WRs when the Pats come along them? Thats not how the Pats work. They dont assign one man to cover one WR.

You are correct when you say that he won't line up one guy to cover a specific man, he will get a side of the field. However, where you are wrong is where you say that the Patriots don't attempt to play to the matchups that would be most favorable to them.

A classic example in Patriots history of this would be the 2001 AFC Championship Game, where Bill Belichick put Ty Law on Hines Ward and Otis Smith on Plaxico Burress. The idea was for Law to lockdown Ward while giving Smith safety help on most plays, effectively doubling Burress most of the game.

Shawn Springs would not be matched up against "better" WR's. He would be matched up against more physical ones, as that is his specialty. Springs knows how to play against these guys and has the skillset to do so. Belichick would be a fool to completely ignore Springs' track record against Terrell Owens just because Wheatley won the starting spot.
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wilhite is ahead of Wheatley at this point. I think Springs and Bodden get to start though.

There you go ICB, hope we're cool now Mr. Green

Mack on the sig
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icecoldbruschi wrote:
GoldenboyGB wrote:

You are correct when you say that he won't line up one guy to cover a specific man, he will get a side of the field. However, where you are wrong is where you say that the Patriots don't attempt to play to the matchups that would be most favorable to them.

A classic example in Patriots history of this would be the 2001 AFC Championship Game, where Bill Belichick put Ty Law on Hines Ward and Otis Smith on Plaxico Burress. The idea was for Law to lockdown Ward while giving Smith safety help on most plays, effectively doubling Burress most of the game.

Shawn Springs would not be matched up against "better" WR's. He would be matched up against more physical ones, as that is his specialty. Springs knows how to play against these guys and has the skillset to do so. Belichick would be a fool to completely ignore Springs' track record against Terrell Owens just because Wheatley won the starting spot.

Taking out Springs and putting him in against one opponent like Owens would make sense like you said track record. People have said that Springs will come in and out against matchups against big name WRs and I think thats totally wrong. If its Colston against Wheatley as the paper matchup I think they stick with him.

If its a playoff game or a game against Owens where Springs has a track record against that WR and Bill feels it gives them the best shot then it probably will happen but if he feels that Wheatley will do a good job then its Wheats time to shine.

Like I said before I dont expect Springs to stay healthy for long if he starts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be Wheatley and Bodden this year, but in the future it'll be Wheatley and Butler. Two All-Universe cornerbacks.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
SoxNats07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbisson wrote:
It'll be Wheatley and Bodden this year, but in the future it'll be Wheatley and Butler. Two All-Universe cornerbacks.

Agreed. We groom Butler for the spot, and let Bodden walk in FA for the big dollars.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=416381&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

DON ZAGRU
Yfz01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilhite is ahead of Wheatley right now - it appears. A lot of confidence in Wheatley on this board but I think Springs and Bodden are the #1 and #2 until / unless there is an injury. I expect all of those guys to see a lot of playing time.

Lil Uno with the sig.
finn54

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm genuinely interested to know why people think Wheatley will start ahead of Springs. Is it simply because he's a 2nd round pick? Or because he made 2 nice plays against Indy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: