Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ICB's Training Camp Competition Previews: ILB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which player will start alongside Jerod Mayo at ILB?
Tedy Bruschi
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Gary Guyton
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Paris Lenon
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Eric Alexander
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

icecoldbruschi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: ICB's Training Camp Competition Previews: ILB Reply with quote

ILB: Tedy Bruschi vs. Gary Guyton vs. Paris Lenon vs. Eric Alexander

After being selected 10th overall out of Tennessee in 2008, little was expected out of Jerod Mayo. However, after an impressive training camp, Mayo earned the starting ILB. Mayo instantly became a playmaker and leader that this defense had sorely lacked since Tedy Bruschi's stroke. Mayo earned league-wide notoriety with his 16 solo tackles against the Jets on Thursday Night Football. Mayo went on to win Defensive Rookie of the Year, stamping his legacy as one of the best rookies in franchise history. Mayo is a rising star in the National Football League and I am sure we will see even more improvement this season.

One element that the Patriots defense has sorely lacked in recent years is an effective TED ILB. Ever since Ted Johnson's unexpected retirement, we have failed to find an effective run stopper who can take on the blocks on allow the WILL to do his thing. It would make Jerod Mayo's life a lot easier.

I realized this during the 2006 AFC Championship Game loss to the Colts, but I think everyone else has as well; Tedy Bruschi is simply a shell of his former self after the stroke. He is no longer the gamechanger he once was and its a bit sad. However, Bruschi still contributes to the team in ways other than he has in the past. He is a leader in the locker room, a mentor to Mayo and is a leader who can call the plays on the field. Bruschi still plays with a tremendous amount of heart. Unfortunately, he is another year older and it looks like this season may be his last.
Odds to Start: 20%

Gary Guyton was perhaps the biggest surprise of last season's Patriots. Guyton went from undrafted rookie to starting on one of the top teams in the league by season's end. Guyton really progressed over the course of the season and put up his best performances against bigger opponents. He has great speed for his position and is seemingly all over the field. I look for him to make great strides in year two.
Odds to Start: 75%

Paris Lenon joins us this offseason from the worst team in NFL history. Lenon has actually been a tackling machine in recent years, getting over 115 total tackles in each of the past two seasons with the club. It remains to be seen how Lenon will make an impact in our defensive scheme, as some have said we could see similar struggles to that of Monty Beisel or Victor Hobson.
Odds to Start: 4%

Yes, I know what you are thinking. It is very hard to believe that a player as terrible as Eric Alexander is still currently on an NFL roster. Alexander's only NFL-notable moment came in the 2006 AFC Championship Game (ironically the only start of his career so far), where he struggles mightily in the loss. Over his career, Alexander has been a decent performer on special teams, but that is about it. I think it may finally be time for Alexander and the Pats to part ways.
Odds to Start: 1%

My Prediction: I think that Guyton wins the job. However, Bruschi will still get a fair amount of playing time. I am hoping that Lenon can be effective depth, but I am cautiously optimistic as far as that goes. I don't think Alexander makes the team, he is finally cut.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guyton FTW

Deadpulse on the sig
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think Guyton will get a starter amount of playing time even if he doesn't start, Bruschi will probably be the "official" starter but will often be replaced by Guyton.

With each game i expect Bruschi to receive less and less playing and Guyton [depending on how he plays] will get more and more playing, by the end of the year he will probably be the official starter.
Tom Brady Tribute
finn54

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruschi as the official starter, with Guyton coming in on 3rd down and in some sub packages. I just didn't see that much from Guyton last year. He's fast and has pretty good size, but anything positive he did came 10 yards off the LOS. We're already soft up the middle against the run, bringing in Guyton for Bruschi wouldn't make matters any better. For all the praise Mayo gets, he doesn't make many plays around the LOS. Mayo is a great tackler, got a lot more comfortable in pass coverage as the year went on and makes plays sideline to sideline. But putting Guyton next to Mayo would mean a great sacrifice in run defense for pass coverage. They're both weakside backers. Bruschi gets ragged on, but he can still do a job for 2 downs. The guys like Ted Johnson are extinct now, but you still need some physicality up the middle.

Guyton is a bit of a tweener, even in the 4-3. I don't see him fitting perfectly in any of the 4-3 linebacker spots. He's a good player to have, but i don't know if he'll ever be a complete player. Maybe he starts at some time or another, but i don't think it's this season. It's worth pointing out that from week 7 onwards, Guyton played 254 snaps to Bruschi's 253, however Bruschi missed the last 3 games (Guyton missed the last two) and Guyton played some OLB.

I'd put the odds at 65/35 in favor of Bruschi. Given injuries, Paris Lenon could start at some time. From about week 9 onwards, i think Guyton probably will play more than Bruschi, but that's because of Bruschi waring down more than Guyton earning it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're running a fantasty football draft with IDPs on the Giants forum. One guy took Paris Lenon in the early sixth round, because he believes he'll be starting at outside linebacker for the Pats. Was I right to call that a wasted pick?

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
rabbisson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
We're running a fantasty football draft with IDPs on the Giants forum. One guy took Paris Lenon in the early sixth round, because he believes he'll be starting at outside linebacker for the Pats. Was I right to call that a wasted pick?

Lulz. That's all I can say.

BTW, apparently your Steve Smith friended me on Facebook. I have no clue why.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:

Wow... I would have laughed and been glad that a solid sleeper is probably on the board still.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual I agree with Finn, Bruschi will be listed as the starter but Guyton will see the field depending on the situation.

Any running downs we'll probably see Bruschi and on passing downs we'll see Guyton. Unfortunately i think we will be susceptible to no huddle offenses because of this.

I'm a starting Quarterback and it freakin rules.

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: