Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why Not Thomas Davis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Why Not Thomas Davis Reply with quote

THOMAS DAVIS
Free Safety
Georgia
Junior
6'1 | 230 | 4.55*
*unofficial 40 time

QUICK STRENGTHS: strength, tackling, instincts
QUICK WEAKNESSES: ball skills, quickness in coverage
NFL COMPARISONS: An extra linebacker in the box who may struggle some in coverage much like the Cowboys' Roy Williams.

Davis will probably be moved to SS in the pros. He is quick enough to cover TEs and RBs. Terrence Holt is good enough in coverage to play FS and cover WRs (he did it as a rookie). These two changes could improve the Lions defense immensely.
GoLions17

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree that it either has to be him or shazor. But taking shazor in the second allows us to fill another hole in the first round
USNinc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good chance that we take a DE because a S just isn't worth that kinda pikc unless their gonna be HOF'ers.
We will probably take a DE and a S in the second.

If we land a S via FA then we may look to fill out our G (unless we land on via FA)
goblue42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with golions thought process. I would be cool with drafting Thomas but if we could get Shazor or Pool in the 2nd and address antoher need at #10 like Barron the ot from fsu, then we may be better off going that route. O-line is going to be a big priority too and its a very week draft class. As I mentioned in another thread, what we do in free agency will have a strong impact on what we do in the draft. If get a Rivera in free agency or Shelton through trade or somebody of that caliber for the line or even sign our own Stockar McDougle and perhaps look at bringing ufa Donvan Darious for safety would really help our flexibilty in the draft!
dawgsfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest i'll be happy so long as they stay off of heath miller.

Thomas Davis is a superior football player, he's worth the 'tenth' pick...so funny to hear how safety isn't 'worth' the tenth pick...he's a tremendous talent with huge upside.

picks 10-22 all seem to be similiar talent wise to me, i wouldnt' be upset if Detroit trades down a little bit either.
amaru0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta go with Davis with the 10th pick. If we can trade down a bit and still get him, even better, but we need him. OT is not that big of a need, especially if we resign the ones we have. they were coming around and playing well towards the end last year, and we have a few projects that could develop into starters in a year or two backing them up. If anywhere on the O line, go OG. I still don't think we need a DE that bad, keep in mind we had one of the most dominant D lines in the league last year, why not fix something thats broken instead? And no Heath Miller. If we draft Heath Miller, I'm leaving the state.
goblue42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truley, the more I look at it, if we indeed want Davis, which I am cool with, then they should go ahead and take him because I dont he would last past pick 13 to the Texans. As I think Gadawg said the picks from 10-22 are about the same talent wise but if want Daivis then we mind as well snag him while we can!
USNinc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we make a serious push for Darius (if he's not franchised-there is talk they might go ahead with it even tho they said they wouldn't)
But we may try to land Sammy Knight.

He's leading all S's in forced turnovers over the last 6 or 7 seasons with something around 40.
That's a guy we could use back there.
goblue42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From everything that I have read THe Jags are not going to franchise Darious. On another site that I frequent, in the Lions forum, there are mixed reviews in bringing in Darious as some are leary of bring in and older veteran. I have argued in his favor as he has way more in the tank than Brock Marion, Bracy Walker, etc. He is going to want some major cabbage though and that could be a stumbling block. I would love for us to get him and resign McDougle so we can have flexibility in the draft. Marco Rivera at guard is worth taking a look at too! If we dont get Davis in round one both Shazor and Pool are solid players in round 2!
Junior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO bringing in a vetren S is a mistake. DD and Sammy Knight may start out better than Thomas Davis but they are short term answers. The Lions have done a good job of getting younger faster players and that I think it should continue. By bringing in Darius now you get maybe 3 or 4 more years but by drafting Davis you could have him for 10.
goblue42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thinking is going after a guy like Darious who has at least 3 prime years left which he should play high level an match him up with a young Terrence Holt or someone like Davis, Shazor or Pool if Holt isnt in the plans! I guess thats the wild card, where does Terrence Hol fit into the equation? He seems to make plays when he got a chance to play but there seems to be reservations about him within the Lions coaching staff. I would have liked to have seen him play more in the 2nd half last year to see if he has what it takes. he seems to have the athletic ability so I didnt understand his lack of playing time considering how poor Marion and Walker were playing!
USNinc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking up Darius would be good because most CB's get their career extended by moving to S.
These guys can play a bit longer then a CB because it's a little less stress on their body.

Darius would be good for that hitter we need back there. I'm all for it but I seriously believe the Jags may tag him if the long term contract numbers are a bit less then the 5 million tag he will get.
They don't wanna pay him 5 but are willing to go long term for a bit less. He has to be willing to work it out tho.

I'm still screaming Sammy Knight.
amaru0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on the confusion over Terrence Holts lack of playing time. I think the kid has looked extremely promising when he's in the game, why not let him take the lead? I still think that drafting a SS is our best move, we'll be able to fill some other holes via FA much cheaper than signing Darius.
A2Wolves6

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goblue42 wrote:
Truley, the more I look at it, if we indeed want Davis, which I am cool with, then they should go ahead and take him because I dont he would last past pick 13 to the Texans. As I think Gadawg said the picks from 10-22 are about the same talent wise but if want Daivis then we mind as well snag him while we can!

I really don't see Houston selecting a safety, it's not a real need.

Glenn Earl, played really well as a rookie, and they are grooming him into becoming the starting safety for their team. It doesn't make much sense to replace a one year vet, with a rookie.

They also have 5 players under contract at the strong safety position for next season. Their defensive line has 3. They need to take defensive line in this draft!
Footballs Future member #10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: