Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

ICB's Training Camp Competition Previews: DL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is most likely to make the team?
Jarvis Green
60%
 60%  [ 9 ]
Darryl Richard
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Myron Pryor
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Le Kevin Smith
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Titus Adams
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

icecoldbruschi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: ICB's Training Camp Competition Previews: DL Reply with quote

DL: Jarvis Green vs. Mike Wright vs. Darryl Richard vs. Myron Pryor vs. Le Kevin Smith vs. Titus Adams

Like last year, this will most likely be my most boring preview due to the established starters on the line. However, I wanted to touch upon every single position, so bear with me.

The Patriots front three of Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork and Ty Warren is widely recognized as one of, if not the best, 3-4 defensive lines in all of football. Their ability to clog the middle in order for our linebackers to make plays as well as stop the run makes them valuable and perhaps the most crucial unit on our entire team.

While the starters are set, the depth is far from it. Bill Belichick has shown that he wants more depth on the line, after drafting Ron Brace as a high second round pick out of Boston College. Brace is a lock to make the team and will look to clog up the middle. I see Casey Hampton potential in him. The Patriots normally keep six or seven defensive linemen, so the battle for those two or three spots looks to be fierce.

While Jarvis Green has been one of the top backups in the league over his tenure in Foxboro, he struggled mightily last season. His only two sacks (the lowest mark of his career), both came in the regular season finale. This certainly wasn't the same Jarvis Green that Patriots fans have been used to seeing. In the past, Green had made a habit out of adequately filling in when Richard Seymour was injured and made Peyton Manning's life a living hell at times. Now the question is whether or not he will even make next year's team.

Mike Wright has been the consummate Patriot. He has done everything the team has asked, from filling in at DT and DE to playing some special teams. Many thought he would be gone as a FA last season, but resigned a deal that many thought was under his market value to stay here. Wright's versatility and workman-like attitude certainly seem like he has the greatest chance out of these players to make the roster next season.

Darryl Richard's stock dropped mightily during his senior season at Georgia Tech. He was once considered a potential first day pick, but he fell to the 7th round. However, this is just our luck as I feel that Richard has the potential to be a big-time steal in this league. His penetration ability is great and he has pretty good quickness for his size. I anticipate that Richard will get a bulk of his action at DE.

Yet another guy whose stock dropped during the season and became a 7th round pick, Myron Pryor. Pryor comes to us from Kentucky, where he was a lot to handle in the middle. I think that with Pryor's height and weight, he will be a developmental NT rather than a DE in our system, but has the ability to play both. I envision the practice squad for his initial season. If Vince Wilfork leaves after this offseason, I see big things for the NT tandem of Brace and Pryor.

I know that a lot of people have been high on Le Kevin Smith over the years. His best season as a Patriot actually came last year, as he got more game action and racked up more tackles than ever before. However, the fact that Smith saw 3 DL's taken in April's draft will mean that he will have to compete harder than ever to win a backup role.

Titus Adams has never really impressed me. He has been an adequate backup NT, but nothing spectacular. I simply think that there is too much competition, particularly at NT. With a couple more true NT's on the roster, I don't think that Adams has much of a chance.

My Prediction: I think that Mike Wright is almost a lock to make the team. I simply included him because I don't think he's on the level of any of the top 4. I think we keep 7 DL on the roster next season and my prediction is that Le Kevin Smith and Darryl Richard are the other two. I am a very big fan of Richard and think he has a lot of potential in this league. With Jarvis Green's cap hit and struggles last season, I think he will be cut. Pryor will be placed on the practice squad.

Last edited by icecoldbruschi on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ctpatsfan77

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ICB's Training Camp Competition Previews: DL Reply with quote

icecoldbruschi wrote:
Mike Wright has been the consummate Patriot. He has done everything the team has asked, from filling in at DT and DE to playing some special teams. Many thought he would be gone as a FA last season, but resigned a deal that many thought was under his market value to stay here. Wright's versatility and workman-like attitude certainly seem like he has the greatest chance out of these players to make the roster next season.

Actually, reports when he re-signed claimed that his contract had $10 million in incentives. More importantly, there's a $1.2 million cap hit if he's cut, so I'd say there's no way he's going to get cut on athleticism alone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the answer here is Mike Wright but he isn't on the poll.

Of those on the poll i think Myron Pryor, because he is more suited to play DE i think as well as NT.

Him and Darryl Richard are my 2 picks to make the team.

Seymour
Wilfork
Warren
Mike Wright
Ron Brace
Darryl Richard
Myron Pryor

i think we'll carry 7 DL this year.

I'm a starting Quarterback and it freakin rules.

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!
icecoldbruschi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ICB's Training Camp Competition Previews: DL Reply with quote

ctpatsfan77 wrote:
icecoldbruschi wrote:

Actually, reports when he re-signed claimed that his contract had $10 million in incentives. More importantly, there's a $1.2 million cap hit if he's cut, so I'd say there's no way he's going to get cut on athleticism alone.

Yeah, but you have no clue how attainable these incentives really are. And I agree that Mike Wright will not be cut.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomski_29 wrote:

Mike Wright isn't in the poll because he would have dominated it, as I explained in the "My Prediction" section at the bottom.

I personally don't see Pyror as a DE, I see him much more comfortable as a NT, but maybe that's just me. But if he can play DE, that would obviously really help his chance of making the roster.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icecoldbruschi wrote:
tomski_29 wrote:

Mike Wright isn't in the poll because he would have dominated it, as I explained in the "My Prediction" section at the bottom.

I personally don't see Pyror as a DE, I see him much more comfortable as a NT, but maybe that's just me. But if he can play DE, that would obviously really help his chance of making the roster.

yeah my bad, i was over zealous in my reply, didn't fully read through your post.

A very good series of posts btw, i forgot you were doing them, so my own CB preview is left to rot on my pc lol

redwhite&blue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomski_29 wrote:

Of those on the poll i think Myron Pryor, because he is more suited to play DE i think as well as NT.

Him and Darryl Richard are my 2 picks to make the team.

Seymour
Wilfork
Warren
Mike Wright
Ron Brace
Darryl Richard
Myron Pryor

i think we'll carry 7 DL this year.

I'm in complete agreement.

Scouting the best of the best. RWB's positional rankings!
ctpatsfan77

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: ICB's Training Camp Competition Previews: DL Reply with quote

icecoldbruschi wrote:
Yeah, but you have no clue how attainable these incentives really are. And I agree that Mike Wright will not be cut.

No, I don't, but he and his agent do, and clearly they wouldn't have accepted a contract they felt was significantly undervalued—after all, he did have offers from both Arizona and Denver, if not others.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymour
Warren
Wilfork
Wright
Green
Richard
Brace

LeKevin is going to be a very tough cut but I can honestly see Green getting cut. Thing is though do they cut Green and hurt themselves in the veteran depth department or do they keep him and play it safe?

I see them playing it safe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jarvis is truly expendable he's over a 2 mil savings on the cap. This would make the mythical dream trade with the panthers more realistic. Though my expectations of this are low.

He is due a 2.3 roster bonus either already or soon. The timing of this bonus really would strongly effect his cuttability IMO. If he's really under performing as much as it seemed last year then I'd have expected the team to squeeze him already for a pay cut.

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
icecoldbruschi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenboyGB wrote:
LeKevin is going to be a very tough cut but I can honestly see Green getting cut. Thing is though do they cut Green and hurt themselves in the veteran depth department or do they keep him and play it safe?

I don't think I've ever seen them "play it safe". Bill Belichick will take the best players, regardless of age.

If Belichick feels that someone else's contributions to the team are greater than Green's, he will be cut. I think that is plain and simple.

Its not like our defensive line is "young" either. I mean, Wilfork is the youngest and he has already played 5 seasons in the league. Mike Wright looks to be the first backup and he is a veteran. Even Le Kevin Smith will be 27 when the season starts. Not exactly young. However, that's why I don't think that we see 3 rookies on the defensive line and you will see Smith beat out either Richard or Pryor since I don't see both showing enough to warrant a roster spot right away. Plus, one or both can easily be stashed on the practice squad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One guy to watch for is Myron Pryor. ...just sayin'...

Scouting the best of the best. RWB's positional rankings!
GoldenboyGB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icecoldbruschi wrote:
GoldenboyGB wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen them "play it safe". Bill Belichick will take the best players, regardless of age.

If Belichick feels that someone else's contributions to the team are greater than Green's, he will be cut. I think that is plain and simple.

Its not like our defensive line is "young" either. I mean, Wilfork is the youngest and he has already played 5 seasons in the league. Mike Wright looks to be the first backup and he is a veteran. Even Le Kevin Smith will be 27 when the season starts. Not exactly young. However, that's why I don't think that we see 3 rookies on the defensive line and you will see Smith beat out either Richard or Pryor since I don't see both showing enough to warrant a roster spot right away. Plus, one or both can easily be stashed on the practice squad.

Clearly I said in that post that I can see why the Pats could cut Green and why they could not. I think thats pretty clear for you to even understand. I agree with what you said about keeping the greater player. Heres the thing Green clearly wasnt healthy and still isnt at this point and is rehabbing from an injury. Seymour generated more of a pass rush and played more stout than he has in the past couple years. Someones numbers were going to suffer from that and it was Greens. Him being hampered by an injury doesnt help either.

Green healthy will gain a spot on this team. I also agree with 3 rookie d-linemen not making this roster. Pryor can easily be stashed on the practice squad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenboyGB wrote:

Green healthy will gain a spot on this team. I also agree with 3 rookie d-linemen not making this roster. Pryor can easily be stashed on the practice squad.

Why are we so confident that we can stash one of our rookies on the PS?

Did we not learn from Garret Mills?

Just think how many teams are involved in running a 3-4 or a hybrid defence, i don't think we will be able to just sneak one of them onto the PS.

icecoldbruschi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoldenboyGB wrote:
Clearly I said in that post that I can see why the Pats could cut Green and why they could not. I think thats pretty clear for you to even understand.

What's with the hostility? It wasn't very "clear" since you suggested that we could potentially keep Green for the sheer fact that he is a veteran even if he might be considered a lessor player with less potential.

GoldenboyGB wrote:
I agree with what you said about keeping the greater player. Heres the thing Green clearly wasnt healthy and still isnt at this point and is rehabbing from an injury. Seymour generated more of a pass rush and played more stout than he has in the past couple years. Someones numbers were going to suffer from that and it was Greens. Him being hampered by an injury doesnt help either.

Seymour generates a significant pass rush every year. I fail to see how Seymour's performance last year had a negative impact on Jarvis Green.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: