Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats sign S Chung to 3 yr deal
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
I_GET_SAX


Joined: 17 Nov 2012
Posts: 7264
Location: The Granite State
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Pats sign S Chung to 3 yr deal Reply with quote

Source: the Patriots have signed starting S Patrick Chung to a 3-year extension through 2017 worth up to $8.2M, with $3.4M guaranteed. -ESPN's Field Yates

With Revis and Browner improving our CB play it has allowed Chung to play to his strengths and he has shown improvement and stability vs the run. He is better on this stint than the last but I think who else we have on our defense has attributed to that. I like the deal.

What say you?
_________________


Patriots SB 49 Champions!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PoWww


Joined: 28 Feb 2013
Posts: 2165
Location: SB XLIX CHAMPIONS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pats sign S Chung to 3 yr deal Reply with quote

I_GET_SAX wrote:
Source: the Patriots have signed starting S Patrick Chung to a 3-year extension through 2017 worth up to $8.2M, with $3.4M guaranteed. -ESPN's Field Yates

With Revis and Browner improving our CB play it has allowed Chung to play to his strengths and he has shown improvement and stability vs the run. He is better on this stint than the last but I think who else we have on our defense has attributed to that. I like the deal.

What say you?


I don't mind it. He really improved his play in a limited role this season and having Revis/McCourty/Browner out there helps.

Just saw that we re-signed Bolden to a 2 year deal as well. Taking care of the depth/role players before we pursue our big name FA's. If we can bring back McCourty, Revis, and Ayers...I'll be happy from a FA standpoint.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigTimePatsFan9


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 1747
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fantastic value considering how he's played this season. He almost certainly could have gotten more elsewhere. I'm a big fan of only guaranteeing 3.4 so if he regresses to old form, we can cut him with hardly any questions asked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 12715
Location: #TheyHateUsCuzTheyAintUs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is an extension, it works out to Chung making $2.05m a year.

For someone who played as well as he did this year, it seems like a very good contract.

Perhaps we even got him at a discounted rate.
_________________
Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola Status: Allegedly Deflating Balls On The Sideline
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Richter


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 13370
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I'm too thrilled at giving Chung an extension. He had a nice season given his limitations, but I find it hard to believe he'll sustain this level of play long term. It's like a less expensive Leigh Bodden contract, I fear. At least the dollars aren't huge.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dhunt2402


Moderator
Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 24276
Location: The District
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Can't say I'm too thrilled at giving Chung an extension. He had a nice season given his limitations, but I find it hard to believe he'll sustain this level of play long term. It's like a less expensive Leigh Bodden contract, I fear. At least the dollars aren't huge.


My thoughts exactly. Plus I'd rather they waited to lock up McCourty and Revis before giving Chung a new deal.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keysersoze3421


Moderator
Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 30029
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhunt2402 wrote:
Richter wrote:
Can't say I'm too thrilled at giving Chung an extension. He had a nice season given his limitations, but I find it hard to believe he'll sustain this level of play long term. It's like a less expensive Leigh Bodden contract, I fear. At least the dollars aren't huge.


My thoughts exactly. Plus I'd rather they waited to lock up McCourty and Revis before giving Chung a new deal.


Yeah, my thought is that this deal only makes much sense if it's a precursor to deals for both of those guys.
_________________


animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigTimePatsFan9


Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Posts: 1747
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
dhunt2402 wrote:
Richter wrote:
Can't say I'm too thrilled at giving Chung an extension. He had a nice season given his limitations, but I find it hard to believe he'll sustain this level of play long term. It's like a less expensive Leigh Bodden contract, I fear. At least the dollars aren't huge.


My thoughts exactly. Plus I'd rather they waited to lock up McCourty and Revis before giving Chung a new deal.


Yeah, my thought is that this deal only makes much sense if it's a precursor to deals for both of those guys.


There's no way that McCourty and Revis are not both resigned. It can be so easily done. I'm an advocate for cutting Wilfork to make it happen as well, although that might not be required with a Mayo restructure or other nifty tactics. I just think it's pretty absurd to keep Vince on at a $7 million dollar cap hit when we have to get Revis and McCourty on board this offseason, and Chandler and Hightower next offseason. It's not hard to find run-stuffers for a quarter of the price that he is costing us
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keysersoze3421


Moderator
Joined: 08 Mar 2007
Posts: 30029
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with cutting Wilfork. If we axe him, Amendola, and get some restructures, that's over 10 million saved.
_________________


animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadpulse


Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 10503
Location: Boston MA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
I would agree with cutting Wilfork. If we axe him, Amendola, and get some restructures, that's over 10 million saved.


Not to mention the Brady restructure freeing up oodles of space. We have the means to resign all of our key guys and even make a splash signing.
_________________

Sigs-Taking Requests
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PoWww


Joined: 28 Feb 2013
Posts: 2165
Location: SB XLIX CHAMPIONS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:
I would agree with cutting Wilfork. If we axe him, Amendola, and get some restructures, that's over 10 million saved.


Not to mention the Brady restructure freeing up oodles of space. We have the means to resign all of our key guys and even make a splash signing.


Brady's deal didn't help, cap wise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nihc


Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 3505
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like Bolden just resigned too.
_________________


2014 Adopt-a-Patriot - Dominique Easley
Tackles: 0 | Sacks: 0 | QB Hits: 0 | TFL: 0 | Fumble Recoveries: 0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patsfan25


Joined: 07 Dec 2008
Posts: 6281
Location: CenCal
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always knew Chung was going to have a resurgence coming back. Especially considering the players around him now, allowing him to play more of a LOS/inbox Safety where he can attack. I'm glad he's going to be here a while.
_________________

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:


Deadpulse Ink.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 27141
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
I would agree with cutting Wilfork. If we axe him, Amendola, and get some restructures, that's over 10 million saved.


That $10M goes really quickly to signing a premium NT and #3 WR unless you think Siliga can handle NT in which case they need to sign a premium UT and a rotational/backup NT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 27141
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeff Howe ‏@jeffphowe 8h8 hours ago

Brandon Bolden note: He was gonna be a restricted free agent this offseason. Pats saved $315,000 in cash in '15 by avoiding RFA process.


Good to see Bolden and Chung back.

Hopefully the Pats re-sign Revis and McCourty, otherwise Chung's liability in pass coverage will be more exposed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group