Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mock Part 2 ---- More thought into it
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
young juice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Mock Part 2 ---- More thought into it Reply with quote

More thought into this one usually do a few a year in here.

Patriots Trade #29 and #130 to the Niners for #56 #77 and a future pick

Patriots Trade #56 to the Saints for #58 and #167

Patriots trade #93 and #206 to the Chiefs for #87

Patriot picks

#58 Dominique Easley DE Florida

Pats have been looking at him and he could help solve the DE issues while also taking some pressure off of Chandler Jones

#62 C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa

With Gronk being Gronk the Pats need another TE and Fiedorowicz is a good receiver and a blocker

#77 Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois

I like a bunch of people feel the Patriots will draft a QB. I was debating between Garoppolo, Mettenberger and McCarron. But went with Garoppolo, I feel like this is one of those surprise Patriot picks. He and Mallet can compete and see who will be #2 and maybe eventually compete for the #1 job.

#87 Daniel McCullers DT Tennessee

Kelly and Wilfork are both getting old but are still serviceable. McCullers may not be a stud during the 2014/2015 season but can learn under Wilfork and Kelly.

#140 Lamarcus Joyner S/CB Florida State

Even though this team has drafted Harmon and Wilson and they have just re-signed Chung many people still think S is a weakness. Joyner would help address this issue or at least add some more competition.

#167 Bryan Stork C Florida State

Team has had C issues since Koppen left. Wendell is ok but some new young blood on the line would be great.

#198 Cody Hoffman WR BYU

Has had some issues which may make him fall. 6'4 big WR. If he makes the team would give Brady a big target to pass to.

#244 Antwan Lowery G Rutgers

Connolly is getting old and bang up. Lowery could come in and make him expendable.

#58 Dominique Easley DE Florida
#62 C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
#77 Jimmy Garoppolo QB Eastern Illinois
#87 Daniel McCullers DT Tennessee
#140 Lamarcus Joyner S/CB Florida State
#167 Bryan Stork C Florida State
#198 Cody Hoffman WR BYU
#244 Antwan Lowery G Rutgers

Hope it's better than the first one I did http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=546486

Addressed team needs and read up on some guys. As usual I used WalterFootball. Hopefully the guys I put are were they would be. Threw in some trades and Belichick surprises.

925 to 617 to 805

RIP Marquise Hill (August 8, 1982 May 28, 2007)
RIP Sean Taylor (April 1, 1983 November 27, 2007)

Naq

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCullers is all size but no skill

C.J. Fiedorowicz isn't worth a 2nd round pick and I don't even see why everyone is so intrigued by him. He isn't very quick or fast and lacks the skill to separate from even slower defenders. He is a good blocker but so are a couple of other guys (Niklas) in this draft.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naq wrote:
McCullers is all size but no skill

C.J. Fiedorowicz isn't worth a 2nd round pick and I don't even see why everyone is so intrigued by him. He isn't very quick or fast and lacks the skill to separate from even slower defenders. He is a good blocker but so are a couple of other guys (Niklas) in this draft.

CJ is mediocre to solid at every aspect of being a TE. Wouldn't be upset taking him in the third round.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an intensely awkward photo of Brian Stork.
Richter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like a who's who of prospects I hate. Just reeks of bust potential, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, why would the Niners trade for #29?

I'm okay with the Easley pick although it seems pretty early for him.

Not a big fan of CJ

Not a fan of QB so early, give me someone like Aaron Murray later

Despise McCullers
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTimePatsFan9 wrote:
Also, why would the Niners trade for #29?

They have a lot of picks and they might want to jump up late in the round to grab a WR or maybe a guy like Tuitt if he's around.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, there's nothing I like about this draft.

Also, Easley is almost certainly a DT in the NFL, not a DE.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

He's a guy without a position, really. He has a DE's size but a DT's body, and his game doesn't fit neatly into either category. He's got some burst but he's not super athletic, he's not a space eater, he can be disruptive but he's not going to generate edge pressure. Add in 2 ACL reconstructions, and he's on my do not draft list. I could see him settling in somewhere as a rotational DT that pushes the pocket and pressures the passer, but as a full time under tackle, I have serious reservations.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

He's a guy without a position, really. He has a DE's size but a DT's body, and his game doesn't fit neatly into either category. He's got some burst but he's not super athletic, he's not a space eater, he can be disruptive but he's not going to generate edge pressure. Add in 2 ACL reconstructions, and he's on my do not draft list. I could see him settling in somewhere as a rotational DT that pushes the pocket and pressures the passer, but as a full time under tackle, I have serious reservations.

Pretty much how I feel. I don't see him as a starting player in the NFL.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised you guys are so low on easley. He's not a space eater but you don't have to be as a 4-3 DT. wilfork would eat the space and draw the double team, he just needs the DT next to him to actually win his 1v1. wilfork wins his 1v1's that's why they double team him and he's relatively under control at that point, so its huge for the other DT to actually generate pressure.

Size isn't the reason easley will be available in the 2nd or 3rd. Teams have learned their lesson after what happened with geno atkins, that's why aaron donald is going in the 1st. Disruption is undenyable. Easley is the guy that as soon as the ball is snapped he's in the backfield already, completely rerouting the intended path of the rb, causing the whole play to fail. Getting in the backfield is something that the DT's for the pats were never able to do, even 1v1.

Look at what happened last year when we drafted aaron dobson. We passed on keenan allen, the player who was clearly the better talent, only because of his recent injury. The guy was a 1st round talent when it comes down to it. When you start using metrics other than talent to determine who you draft, you end up with crappier players than what you could have gotten. Why do we need to keep making the same mistake again and again?

The only legitimate concern I have for him is that florida gator defensive linemen tend to bust in general, even after looking good in college. I'm not sure if there is a verdict on shariff floyd yet because he played with an injured knee that he picked up really early in the season.

But imagine if at least some of the time last year when chandler jones speed rushed off the edge there was actually a DT penetrating into the backfield preventing an effortless stepping up into the pocket by the qb.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swagnus wrote:
I'm surprised you guys are so low on easley. He's not a space eater but you don't have to be as a 4-3 DT. wilfork would eat the space and draw the double team, he just needs the DT next to him to actually win his 1v1. wilfork wins his 1v1's that's why they double team him and he's relatively under control at that point, so its huge for the other DT to actually generate pressure.

The Pats use their 3-techniques a lot in the run game. They don't just shoot gaps and attack the ball. And Wilfork did draw double teams. Who knows if he will next year.

Quote:
Size isn't the reason easley will be available in the 2nd or 3rd. Teams have learned their lesson after what happened with geno atkins, that's why aaron donald is going in the 1st. Disruption is undenyable. Easley is the guy that as soon as the ball is snapped he's in the backfield already, completely rerouting the intended path of the rb, causing the whole play to fail. Getting in the backfield is something that the DT's for the pats were never able to do, even 1v1.

You're assuming Easley will be able to tear up NFL interior DL the same way he did college interior OL. I don't think that's going to be the case. When you're in college, you can more easily get away with being undersized and using superior quickness. His good first step isn't going to win him anywhere near as many matchups as it did in college.

Quote:
Look at what happened last year when we drafted aaron dobson. We passed on keenan allen, the player who was clearly the better talent, only because of his recent injury. The guy was a 1st round talent when it comes down to it. When you start using metrics other than talent to determine who you draft, you end up with crappier players than what you could have gotten. Why do we need to keep making the same mistake again and again?

And what "metric" caused them to pass on Keenan Allen? The guy was not a 1st round talent, otherwise he would have gone in the first. There were plenty of concerns about Allen coming out of school. I don't understand what 20/20 revisionist hindsight has to do with anything. There were plenty of reasons to like Allen and plenty of reasons to like Dobson. And plenty of reasons to dislike both. One year of superior production in a different offense for Allen doesn't make him the better player nor the right choice for the Pats.

Quote:

But imagine if at least some of the time last year when chandler jones speed rushed off the edge there was actually a DT penetrating into the backfield preventing an effortless stepping up into the pocket by the qb.

I think everyone here agrees interior pass rush is and has been an issue for the Pats. That doesn't make Easley the right choice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teams passed on allen because he had an unfortunate injury, which then caused him to perform poorly at the combine. I thought it was well known that had these two things not happened, he was going to go more than a full round earlier than he did.

I take it you're not too optimistic about aaron donald being able to get it done at an nfl level then?

edited for grammar
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swagnus wrote:
Teams passed on allen because he had an unfortunate injury, which then caused him to perform poorly at the combine. I thought it was well known that had these two things not happened, he was going to go more than a full round earlier than he did.

There were a number of reasons not to like Allen, let's not act as if he were a consensus top 15 pick who plummeted because of a bad combine.

Quote:
I take it you're not too optimistic about aaron donald being able to get it done at an nfl level then?

When did I ever suggest this?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure keenan allen was a concensus more than a full round earlier than where he went pick. Late first, early 2nd. I mainly said it that way to imply that it was no brainer for the pats. Well, it would have been had he not showed up to his combine hurt and ran a 4.77 40 time. You are disagreeing with that?

You never said aaron donald probably wouldn't get it done in the nfl. I just view him as another similarly sized, similarly criticized for his size, disruptive DT that will be drafted later than he should, because to me donald is a top 5 prospect. So I took it that to view easley so lowly you must not view donald particularly highly. What drastic differences between the two do you see? Do note that I'm not saying easley is equal, to me he is a first round disruptive talent, but not particularly close to top 5.

To go ahead and contribute to the thread, I don't really like the mock at all. It's actually not that bad overall, but the fiedorowicz and garoppolo picks are so bad that it kind of ruins the whole thing. Those are two picks that you really have to make count. And also there is no way Joyner lasts to #140. I hate to say that because no one really knows, but it would be a pleasant fortune if he was still there at #62, let alone #140.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: