You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ozzie Newsome

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Ozzie Newsome Reply with quote

i got this thought while reading raven5255's excellent post about our secondary:

how much blame does Ozzie Newsome deserve for the past 2 season's failures, especially this season? i'm not saying fire him, because he is still one of the best in the biz, brought us back from salary cap hell, and got us a Super Bowl. but he has made some very bad decisions lately. for one thing, he is relying too much on big names, big stars, and ignoring depth. injuries have killed us. Instead of signing a competent, healthy nickelback, or drafting one, Ozzie instead signed aged, oft-injured, former stars Deion Sanders and Dale Carter and did little else. he has found some gems i think in B.J. Ward and maybe Jamaine Winbourne, but we dont' have depth. On offense, he once again went for big names and really didn't fill all our holes. On the O-Line, he gave Mike Flynn a huge extension and let Casey Rabach walk. he didn't address LG, where Edwin Mulitalo has been struggling for one time. and while Keydrick Vincent was a solid signing at the time, i feel like Ozzie had other options and instead went for a bigger name. At WR, we once again did not address depth. Derrick Mason was obvioulsy a great signing, and i liked the pick of Mark Clayton, but after that we didn't really have depth. Randy Hymes is inconsistent, Clayton does have injury worries (even before the draft i think) and i think Ozzie was really banking on Clarence Moore, who has fallen hard.

ok, now to my last little complaint, and that is our recent drafts. Ozzie is one of the best talent evaluators in the NFL, he always finds late round gems in drafts, from jason Brown to Justin Green to Roderick Green to Brian Rimpf and Jarrett Johnson. but his early round picks seem to be lacking. i can't judge the Dan Cody pick because of the injury, but we gave up a lot for Adam terry and he hasn't even been activated yet. in 2004, we spent our first draft pick on Dwan Edwards (passing on some good wideouts) and he doesn't look like he'll ever really amount to anyting, and we spent our 3rd round pick on Devard Darling, who really hasn't done anything yet, and probably will be elsewhere in 2006.

ok i'm not saying fire ozzie, i'm not saying hes a bad GM, hes still a very very good GM. but it seems like his decisions have progressively gotten a little worse. hes relying too much on old, oft injured stars and his drafts haven't been as good as usual. again guys, i'm not trying to bash him, but how much blame does he deserve for the 2005 debacle that is, the 3-8 Baltimore Ravens?

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post Terp, I gotta agree with you there. It seems that our 2nd and 3rd round picks have really been the ones that hurt us the most. Like you said, that 2004 Draft looks like our worst ever. Rod Green was a good late round pick and going into the season it looked like we might have had something in Clarence Moore, but Dwan Edwards has seen limited action in his career and Devard Darling, a guy we traded up for in the 3rd round has done nothing. Hopefully Dan Cody will pan out for us, but it does concern me that Adam Terry hasnt played yet this season. Its kinda like the Dwan Edwards pick in that it was a 2nd round pick that seems to just be sitting on the bench, except the Terry pick seems even worse since we gave up so much to get him. He could turn out to be a great player, but right now, he hasnt done a thing. Our offensive line depth has been pretty bad since letting Rabach walk. We could have some great players in Jason Brown and Adam Terry, but they simply havent played. Tony Pashos looks like Ethan Brooks Jr, a solid backup that will never amount to anything more. Brian Rimpf has been decent for us, but he is no Casey Rabach. I think the Ravens might need to restructure their line, as well as the blocking schemes. Chris Foerester has definetly got to go, I understand age and injuries have really hampered the line, but atleast some of this blame has got to be put on him. Ozzie better really boost our depth this offseason at most positions.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasnt he the line coach of the very shoddy miami lines?
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep he was. Never really understood adding him this past offseason. I'd be willing to bet he wont be back next season. Atleast I hope not.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: