Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Orioles trade Aubrey Huff to Tigers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarey20

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Orioles trade Aubrey Huff to Tigers Reply with quote

For RHP Brett Jacobson.

http://wnst.net/wordpress/nestoraparicio/2009/08/17/orioles-trade-aubrey-huff-to-detroit-for-rhp-brett-jacobson/

Quote:
The Orioles today announced that they have acquired minor league RHP BRETT JACOBSON from the Detroit Tigers in exchange for INF AUBREY HUFF and will assign him to Class-A Frederick.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigers needed a bat but i don't think Huff is really gonna help all that much.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huff's been decent this year, but his production has been a major drop off from last year. Guess it was an aberration.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huff isnt that great and Im assuming the guy they got back isnt either

"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit, I wanted us to trade him last year at the deadline. If we had done that, we would have gotten a great return seeing as he was in the middle of a Silver Slugger year with a year left on his contract... we wait a year, his value drops, and all we get is a mid-level [#10 in the Tigers system] prospect in return.

That said, there wasn't much use for Huff anymore. He's not much for veteran leadership and seems more like the sort of personalty you don't want in a clubhouse that is trying to create a winning attitude. Hopefully this means we get to see Brandon Snyder up in the bigs sooner, and I think this should also mean that Pie gets more consistent at-bats in the last month and a half of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another chapter in the never-ending story of "Teams Hanging on to Players Too Long and Losing Massive Trade Value." Stay tuned for the next chapter..."The Roy Halladay Story."

I'm pretty happy with this return at this point, though. Salary relief in the amount of about $3-4M for the rest of the year (please, Mr. Angelos, just put half of this in the Miguel Sano Fund) and a fairly decent looking relief prospect. Jacobson was ranked 10th in the Tigers organization by BA and 3rd (!) by Sickels. Profiles as a power relief arm.

I think we could have done better if we'd moved him at this time last year, but I'm satisfied with this result given that we kept him too long.

O.J. Atogwe Tracker: 25 Tackles | 1 INT | 2 PDs | 2 TFLs | 1 sack
Saverio Rocca Tracker: 44.2 AVG | 41.2 NET | 14/25 IN20
SadLionFan00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JACOBSEN!!! Idk who that is. Sounds annoyingly familiar though.

We need a left-handed bat. I guess this means Carlos Guillen is ready to get back to the outfield?

A change of scenery could be good for Huff, though. Hopefully his bat wakes up.
Get him to fling poo more accurately and make better decisions when flinging it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BuckleyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Dammit, I wanted us to trade him last year at the deadline. If we had done that, we would have gotten a great return seeing as he was in the middle of a Silver Slugger year with a year left on his contract... we wait a year, his value drops, and all we get is a mid-level [#10 in the Tigers system] prospect in return.

That said, there wasn't much use for Huff anymore. He's not much for veteran leadership and seems more like the sort of personalty you don't want in a clubhouse that is trying to create a winning attitude. Hopefully this means we get to see Brandon Snyder up in the bigs sooner, and I think this should also mean that Pie gets more consistent at-bats in the last month and a half of the season.

According to Trembley Snyder wont be up immediately due to this deal but they didn't rule him out of being up in september. I think he'll be up then and he'll make some noise before taking over next year full time

Also I kind of like the trade I think part of it was done for the Miguel Sano deal the O's are still working on and also it was able to free up a spot for a person like Snyder. Jacobsen is a power reliever and in our bullpen we dont have a high 90's "here's my fastball try me pitcher" we have guys who throw 95 or 96 but they throw a hard sinker not just a straight up high 90's fastball kind of guy

kiltman on the sig

JMU Class of 2014
A.J. Hawk Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine he will be playing DH, which is a good idea.

I think he will do well hitting out of the 5 spot in the lineup behind Miguel, I like the move for the Tigers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: