Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2009 New York Yankees Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GBPACKMAN4LIFE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mission27 wrote:
In the first three games of the series, you lost by a combined 15 runs. We crushed you in game one and we won by solid margins in games two and three.

First game - 10.

Game's 2 and 3 - 5 combined.

Crushed us in one game, yes. Friday's game was tied 2-2 until the 9th inning. Saturday's game was less close, but close nonetheless. 4 runs scored in the 2nd, 1 in the other 8. Does that equal a destruction? Me thinks not.

mission27 wrote:
I just didn't see the need for Mesa to come in here trash talking and desparaging the perfromance of our players because he was frustrated at losing three out of four.

Neither do I.

mission27 wrote:
And yes, I do believe that as of now, the Mariners are one of the worst teams in baseball. You're running out a bad offense and only one legit major league starter. Sure, you started the year with Washburn and Bedard, but that's not relevant as neither is going to pitch another inning with your team. You guys are around .500 and have a horrible RD, neither of which is likely to improve with your #2 and #3 starters gone.

He might not be a legit major league starter as of right now because of his lack of a real track record, but RRS has done nothing but pitch well in his 3 years as a Mariner, the last 2 years being a starter (albeit he only has 18 starts in those 2 years, started the 1/3rd of '08 and was on the DL to start '09). He ended the '08 season with 8 consecutive quality starts. He has what it takes to be a solid #3 in the bigs. Horrible RD, yes. But we're something like .670 in 1 run ballgames, a credit to the bullpen (Aardsma + Lowe especially), timely hitting from guys like Griff, Lopez, Ichi, and a pretty good coach in Wak.

mission27 wrote:
I don't have a problem with the Mariners, but if someone is going to trash talk in here, they better do it after their team shows up to play. And if their team is kind of crap right now, I will tell them just how bad I think their team is.

I'll agree with that, and I don't fault you with giving you honest assessment of the Mariners, even if I don't agree with it. I saw this team do pretty well in '07, then just fall flat on it's face in 2008. This year is definitely a better indicator of the talent level of this team than last year. I think we'll end the season .500 +/- 3 games, hardly a sucky ballclub. Does it suck spending $100+ million in payroll and having virtually no shot at the postseason? Sure does. But it looks like the M's have a GM who actually knows what he's doing (yes, it's only been 3/4 of a year, but it's hard to argue otherwise), an above average coaching staff (Wak + Adair [pitching coach]), and a plethora of defense/pitching, which as the Mariners have shown this year, can be a recipe to (relative) success without a lineup that hits .280 and scores 6 runs per game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's really what I'm talking about. I actually think Luke French could be a nice pitcher someday, but you have one guy with any kind of MLB track record, and it's not like the other four are big time prospects either. Again, I've got nothing against the M's. The way they went with the "build from defense" model this year worked fantastically well, and if not for Bedard's injury, they could still be in this thing. I was just pointing out to Mesa it really made no sense to come in here after we beat his team three straight games and disparage our performance saying that we didn't "deserve" to win the game.

Anyway, this is at 100. I'm assuming it gets locked down soon, so I've started up our fifth (!!) official Yankees thread on FF.

#JDI

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100
Page 100 of 100

Jump to: